Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Who wants fish of the day ?

Who wants fish of the day ?

Old Aug 13th 2015, 7:41 pm
On the road again.

Dick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond repute
Default Who wants fish of the day ?

Beware: Why you might regret ordering the fish - The Local
Old Aug 13th 2015, 8:04 pm
Banned

amideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Who wants fish of the day ?

My first thought was that it must be a mistake. Can't even fathom that it wasn't.

What's worse, around here, you can go to a fishing port at about 18:00 and buy fresh catches for about €10 per kilo right off the boat. I'm certain this is what the restaurants do.

Ridiculous rip-off. But the guy was expecting to pay "only" €90 per kilo??

I wonder if he'd be interested in a lovely waterfront property in Florida.
Old Aug 13th 2015, 8:56 pm

Fred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond repute

Very common on the CDS. Usually fish such as Sole and Rosada is cheap as a basic dish on the menu but many restaurants sell fish by the kilo. Some fish is rare and expensive but I have seen Caballo (Mackerel) for €25 a kilo which is a rip off. It's about €3 a kilo in the market.

I buy sole for €6 a kilo but have seen it for €40 in restaurants.

It's a case of buyer beware.
Old Aug 13th 2015, 9:14 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

You're buying the preparation, the skill of the chef and the ambience of the restaurant.

You can buy good wine direct from a vinyard for a few euros in France or Italy, that would cost you ten times as much if purchased with a meal in a restaurant. You could buy lobster on the keyside in Maine for $4/lb a couple of years ago but restaurants which sell it by weight have never dropped their "market price" below $30/lb.

At the end of the day restaurants, like any other business sell their products and services for what the market will bear. If you don't like it, buy your fish on the quayside and take it home to cook for yourself.
Old Aug 13th 2015, 9:35 pm
Banned

amideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond repute

I don't think anyone is suggesting that a restaurant shouldn't make a profit. The article provided suggested that an unwary tourist was expecting a certain price range, but found it substantially more when meal was finished.

Around here, €300 will buy you a 5 course meal for 2 prepared by a Michelin star chef, served by your own dedicated team of professional waiters, at a top rated seafront restaurant, including top shelf vintage wines.

Personally, I would never have expected €90 per kilo, so if it were me, getting a bill for €300 and change would have resulted in outrage, and probably putting down €150 cash and a final word of "sue me".

But then again, I would have asked the price before ordering it in the first place.
Old Aug 14th 2015, 6:47 am

Fred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pulaski
You're buying the preparation, the skill of the chef and the ambience of the restaurant.
I'm talking here about the typical beach restaurants here. There is not much skill involved in taking a fish that cost €3 to buy and slapping it on a grill and charging €20 for it.

These places typically will serve you a good fixed price menu for €10 but anyone who is tempted by the "fish of the day" (actually the fish of the day before yesterday that they have left over), is in for a shock.
Old Aug 14th 2015, 7:30 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

cricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Fred James
I'm talking here about the typical beach restaurants here. There is not much skill involved in taking a fish that cost €3 to buy and slapping it on a grill and charging €20 for it.

These places typically will serve you a good fixed price menu for €10 but anyone who is tempted by the "fish of the day" (actually the fish of the day before yesterday that they have left over), is in for a shock.
I believe he ordered San Pedro which is usually around 30 euros at the market

So 90 euros per kilo isnt that unreasonable although unpretencious restaurants wont normally charge more than double the market price

You can't usually get good wild fish, even lubina or merluza for less than 20 euros per kilo at the market -anywhere in Spain, and more expensive ones like besugo or rape may get up to 40 euros per kilo
Old Aug 14th 2015, 7:43 am
Banned

I've never paid more than €10/Kilo for merluza or bacalo. Where do you shop?
Old Aug 14th 2015, 8:19 am
BE Enthusiast

chopera has a reputation beyond reputechopera has a reputation beyond reputechopera has a reputation beyond reputechopera has a reputation beyond reputechopera has a reputation beyond reputechopera has a reputation beyond reputechopera has a reputation beyond reputechopera has a reputation beyond reputechopera has a reputation beyond reputechopera has a reputation beyond reputechopera has a reputation beyond repute

This type of trick used to be common in the tourist areas around Madrid. Waiters would ask you if you wanted some calamares, jamón, pulpo or whatever, as if it were a free tapa, and then charge stupid money for it afterwards.
Old Aug 14th 2015, 8:28 am
EU hoo

iano has a reputation beyond reputeiano has a reputation beyond reputeiano has a reputation beyond reputeiano has a reputation beyond reputeiano has a reputation beyond reputeiano has a reputation beyond reputeiano has a reputation beyond reputeiano has a reputation beyond reputeiano has a reputation beyond reputeiano has a reputation beyond reputeiano has a reputation beyond repute

Even more shocking to me, the price for a caña !

They ought to be wary in this day and age, t'interweb is powerful.

Juan y Andrea, Formentera - Restaurant Reviews & Photos - TripAdvisor
Old Aug 14th 2015, 9:07 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

cricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by amideislas
I've never paid more than €10/Kilo for merluza or bacalo. Where do you shop?
You can only get farmed merluza for 10 euros per kilo - anywhere in Spain

That's fine for day to day cooking, but not fine for a good restaurant. My mother in-law only ever buys wild fish. To be fair, you can taste the difference immediately
Old Aug 14th 2015, 10:12 am
Banned

Like I said, straight off the boat, it's around €10. And that's for random individuals. I'm sure regular volume buyers pay less than that.
Old Aug 14th 2015, 10:35 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by amideislas
Like I said, straight off the boat, it's around €10. And that's for random individuals. I'm sure regular volume buyers pay less than that.
There are plenty of farmed fish in the sea you know. "Pisofactorias" are all over the Med Coast

Fish like merluza and lubina, besugo etc arent too nice from the Med anyway, the Atalntic version is far superior (and expensive)
Old Aug 14th 2015, 10:41 am
EU hoo

iano has a reputation beyond reputeiano has a reputation beyond reputeiano has a reputation beyond reputeiano has a reputation beyond reputeiano has a reputation beyond reputeiano has a reputation beyond reputeiano has a reputation beyond reputeiano has a reputation beyond reputeiano has a reputation beyond reputeiano has a reputation beyond reputeiano has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by cricketman
You can't usually get good wild fish, even lubina or merluza for less than 20 euros per kilo at the market -anywhere in Spain, and more expensive ones like besugo or rape may get up to 40 euros per kilo
Don't know how 'good' it is, online fresh wild besugo from Galicia @ 15 €/K incl.

Comprar pescado fresco gallego online: Besugo salvaje de ración
Old Aug 14th 2015, 11:45 am
Banned

Originally Posted by cricketman
There are plenty of farmed fish in the sea you know. "Pisofactorias" are all over the Med Coast

Fish like merluza and lubina, besugo etc arent too nice from the Med anyway, the Atalntic version is far superior (and expensive)
Well that explains it. You have it flown in from Bermuda or something? Yeah, sounds expensive.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.