Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Who knows about Spanish Tv's?

Who knows about Spanish Tv's?

Old Sep 1st 2019, 7:37 am
BE Forum Addict

el collado kid has a reputation beyond reputeel collado kid has a reputation beyond reputeel collado kid has a reputation beyond reputeel collado kid has a reputation beyond reputeel collado kid has a reputation beyond reputeel collado kid has a reputation beyond reputeel collado kid has a reputation beyond reputeel collado kid has a reputation beyond reputeel collado kid has a reputation beyond reputeel collado kid has a reputation beyond reputeel collado kid has a reputation beyond repute
Smile Re: Who knows about Spanish Tv's?

Originally Posted by SportyPorty
Thanks Fred, some good points (especially cost!) But I need to get a bigger TV anyway, this just kills two birds with one stone.
hi morning sportyporty.in my opinion the bigger the tv the better .you can see better
Old Sep 5th 2019, 9:48 pm
Forum Regular

Smithy73 has a reputation beyond reputeSmithy73 has a reputation beyond reputeSmithy73 has a reputation beyond reputeSmithy73 has a reputation beyond reputeSmithy73 has a reputation beyond reputeSmithy73 has a reputation beyond reputeSmithy73 has a reputation beyond reputeSmithy73 has a reputation beyond reputeSmithy73 has a reputation beyond reputeSmithy73 has a reputation beyond reputeSmithy73 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Who knows about Spanish Tv's?

I was out with my wife this afternoon in Carrefour and saw a Sony Bravia Smart TV on offer. I almost bit-the-bullet, but had a sudden thought. Would this TV be able to down load apps like BBC iPlayer, ITV Hub, etc..? Appreciate any help before I buy the wrong TV. Thanks.
Hi there,I bought a Sony Bravia Smart TV from MediaMarkt in Nov 2016 and a second one in Dec 2017. They are powered by Android - On powering up for the first time, they asked "which country I am in" - I selected the UK. The TVs then automatically set up the built in satellite tuner for UK freesat and I can download apps as normal from UK Play store etc.

Old Sep 6th 2019, 5:48 am
Was called something else

The Guy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Guy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Guy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Guy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Guy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Guy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Guy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Guy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Guy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Guy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Guy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Smithy73
Hi there,I bought a Sony Bravia Smart TV from MediaMarkt in Nov 2016 and a second one in Dec 2017. They are powered by Android - On powering up for the first time, they asked "which country I am in" - I selected the UK. The TVs then automatically set up the built in satellite tuner for UK freesat and I can download apps as normal from UK Play store etc.
I have a client this week that got a latest Bravia.
It does the country check as normal(set to uk), but when it connects to the internet, it checks your location, and downloads the appropriate content.
So without a VPN, it downloads Spanish content.
With a VPN (UK); it downloads the UK content.
(You cannot user a smart dns service during set up, it does no know where to go for the apps!)
However, it did not set the satellite to Freesat, just the generic satellite tuner.
It did however, set the terrestrial to Youview...
which is a problem.
Iplayer is fine (seperate app), but for some reason the others (itv hub all4 demand five uktv), are all linked to the youview part of the TV, and the tv scans the terrestrial signals for freeview. it finds and stores the spanish channels, but no apps linked to freeview are downloaded (even with a uk vpn attached) as presumably it cannot find any youview data in the signals it has found
Am now trying to locate akps for this specific Bravia model (so far none!), so the client can use the all the uk services on his new Bravia.

No problems setting alll this up on his other LG TV!!

Last edited by The Guy; Sep 6th 2019 at 5:52 am.
Old Sep 7th 2019, 11:52 am
Just Joined

Dr.WHOO is an unknown quantity at this point
Lightbulb Re: Who knows about Spanish Tv's?

One more advice, Carrefour is not the place to buy Electric goods at reasonable price, my knowledge for the past 15 years! Go online and keep searching for the make and model and then decide to buy.
Old Sep 9th 2019, 7:16 am
Forum Regular

SportyPorty will become famous soon enoughSportyPorty will become famous soon enough

Interesting about the Sony Barvia TV's, seem's a bit of a lottery, and a lot of hassle at times. Given all of the info above, sounds like an LG might be the easiest option. I like easy! Deffo going to get the largest that will fit comfortably in my apartment, probably a 55", anything bigger would be too large to view correctly at the distance I have available. I was only browsing in Carrefour and saw a 'managers special' and very nearly bit, but as you say DrWhoo, online searching is the wise option, and I will now be doing this instead.
Old Sep 9th 2019, 8:38 am
Started off with nothing

missile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond repute

Interesting about the Sony Barvia TV's, seem's a bit of a lottery, and a lot of hassle at times. Given all of the info above, sounds like an LG might be the easiest option. I like easy! Deffo going to get the largest that will fit comfortably in my apartment, probably a 55", anything bigger would be too large to view correctly at the distance I have available. I was only browsing in Carrefour and saw a 'managers special' and very nearly bit, but as you say DrWhoo, online searching is the wise option, and I will now be doing this instead.
Watch out for manager specials/ cheap deals are often old models with limited functionality
Old Sep 9th 2019, 11:38 am
Forum Regular

VEDShappy has a reputation beyond reputeVEDShappy has a reputation beyond reputeVEDShappy has a reputation beyond reputeVEDShappy has a reputation beyond reputeVEDShappy has a reputation beyond reputeVEDShappy has a reputation beyond reputeVEDShappy has a reputation beyond reputeVEDShappy has a reputation beyond reputeVEDShappy has a reputation beyond reputeVEDShappy has a reputation beyond reputeVEDShappy has a reputation beyond repute

I've had Sony, Phillips and LG televisions here. LG are easily the most user friendly.
Sony required me to install some additional app/software before I could load other apps and was 'clunky' to use.
Phillips was hit and miss over what I could install, quite limited in fact.
Both had poor sound quality too.
Old Sep 9th 2019, 12:09 pm

Fred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond repute

If you are happy with buying online I would recommend this company. Www.electroprecio.com

i have bought my last 3 TVs from them and a number of friend have used them. Huge range, good prices, very fast delivery and excellent pre and post sales support.

Samsung is a good alternative to LG between them they make almost all the tv panels you can buy.

regarding viewing distance, the optimum distance to watch a 4K TV is 1 to 1.5 times the screen size, so, for a 55” TV between 4.5ft and 7ft.

Last edited by Fred James; Sep 9th 2019 at 12:14 pm.
Old Oct 22nd 2019, 9:08 am
CHIPPIE2

chippie2 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by bobd22
Looked into this for a friend not long ago and was advised that most manufacturers of TVs don't use android on their Smart TVs they use a different operating system? It was easier to simply go down the android box route connected to a TV then easy. Enough to add apps.
I bought a LG smart tv from media mart and was disappointed that I could install any apps that were not on the tv I had iplayer ,plus itv all 4 installed via Uk but it would not allow me to install a a vpn app so stuck to my android box where I can get everything +vpn
Old Oct 22nd 2019, 10:30 am
BE Forum Addict

MikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by chippie2
I bought a LG smart tv from media mart and was disappointed that I could install any apps that were not on the tv I had iplayer ,plus itv all 4 installed via Uk but it would not allow me to install a a vpn app so stuck to my android box where I can get everything +vpn
You can set an Open DNS on the LG (which is arguably better than VPN). You would need to connect your router to the TV via an ethernet cable or you would need to set the DNS in the router tables if you use a wifi connection.
Old Oct 22nd 2019, 11:10 am
CHIPPIE2

Originally Posted by MikeJ
You can set an Open DNS on the LG (which is arguably better than VPN). You would need to connect your router to the TV via an ethernet cable or you would need to set the DNS in the router tables if you use a wifi connection.
Sorry but what do mean ....set an open DNS...I have a cable running from the router to the set ,no joy
​​​​​
Old Oct 22nd 2019, 11:46 am
BE Forum Addict

MikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by chippie2
Sorry but what do mean ....set an open DNS...I have a cable running from the router to the set ,no joy
​​​​​
Find a DNS provider of choice - there are some free ones but you probably more likely to get a reliable one if you pay, just like your VPN provider. There have been some recommendations on these threads so you might search for those.
If you go I to "settings" and the "network" on your TV you should find a setting you can change to the DNS address given by your provider.
Old Oct 22nd 2019, 4:57 pm

Fred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond repute

I use Smartdnsproxy for a “smart dns” solution to overriding the Geo Blocking of UK TV. Another one I have used is Smartydns. They work really well for about €3 a month. You can put the new dns setting into to any individual device (with a few exceptions such as NowTv) or in your router.
Old Oct 23rd 2019, 6:15 am
CHIPPIE2

Ok Mike thanks for that ,will look at it
Old Oct 23rd 2019, 8:58 am
BE Enthusiast

Notdunroamin has a reputation beyond reputeNotdunroamin has a reputation beyond reputeNotdunroamin has a reputation beyond reputeNotdunroamin has a reputation beyond reputeNotdunroamin has a reputation beyond reputeNotdunroamin has a reputation beyond reputeNotdunroamin has a reputation beyond reputeNotdunroamin has a reputation beyond reputeNotdunroamin has a reputation beyond reputeNotdunroamin has a reputation beyond reputeNotdunroamin has a reputation beyond repute

SmartDNSProxy works well and you can try it for free for 2 weeks, no payment or credit required.

On the site they will offer a 2 year 58% discount deal for $49.90 but if you just let the trial expire very shortly after they will contact you and offer you either 70% or even 79% discount.

I got the 79% which worked out to €26.96 or just €1.12/mth !

Ideally you should reset your router to the SmartDNSProxy IP addresses but if your ISP doesn't allow you into it then you will have to do it on the individual devices, even non Android TV's should allow you to do that.

For the iPlayer even if a TV won't let you install the APP, either because it's not Android or because you are not in the UK, then you can just use the BBC iPlayer in the TV's internet browser.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.