Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

who here made the move on there own

who here made the move on there own

Old Oct 12th 2007, 9:34 am
Just Joined

b121 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default who here made the move on there own

been spain before with friends etc but went with a few grand and being young ended up having a 4 month holiday of drinking and partying

dont regret it actually drove there and one the best road trips we have ever been on but..

i wanna live in spain full time and will be going on my own which to any one can be quite scary idea

i saved money to rent a flat etc and have a online website generating around €1,200 a month and now my day job has ended so see it as ideal time to go

my plan is to work on websites full time think my only issue is going alone and cost living will €1,200 be enough although i be working on site during the day to increase this i dont wanna spend the money i save in the bank as eventually i want use it as deposit to buy a place after year or 2

i cant remember the cost of living shopping , electric etc
Old Oct 12th 2007, 9:38 am
BE Enthusiast

omostra06 has a brilliant futureomostra06 has a brilliant futureomostra06 has a brilliant futureomostra06 has a brilliant futureomostra06 has a brilliant futureomostra06 has a brilliant futureomostra06 has a brilliant futureomostra06 has a brilliant future
Default Re: who here made the move on there own

1200 euros per month sounds like enough money to live on, depending on your lifestyle,
Old Oct 12th 2007, 9:49 am
Senior Moment

Mitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond repute

Depends on rental cost / where you end up
If you carry on parting then it might be a struggle
Old Oct 12th 2007, 10:00 am
Just Joined

lol i try not to party to much been looking at rental for around the most €600 a month
Old Oct 12th 2007, 10:05 am
Senior Moment

Mitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by b121
lol i try not to party to much been looking at rental for around the most €600 a month

so you have 600 euro a month to live on to cover bills and living expenses? You may just about make it You have to add telephone, internet (abt 65 euro pm), transport, food shopping (roughly 30% less cost of living in CB North for instance than UK) and of course income and wealth tax as well as health cover (unless you go self employed here and contribute to the system at about 280 euro a month). Private health care here is relatively inexpensive.
Old Oct 12th 2007, 10:35 am
Just Joined

yea i see what you mean i hoping the fact that i be working on sites full time will increase the income as currently i was just doing few hours of a evening after work

spose i just have to spend first few months as test and then maybe work out where to go from there
Old Oct 12th 2007, 10:39 am
In Estepona

onlineamiga has a reputation beyond reputeonlineamiga has a reputation beyond reputeonlineamiga has a reputation beyond reputeonlineamiga has a reputation beyond reputeonlineamiga has a reputation beyond reputeonlineamiga has a reputation beyond reputeonlineamiga has a reputation beyond reputeonlineamiga has a reputation beyond reputeonlineamiga has a reputation beyond reputeonlineamiga has a reputation beyond reputeonlineamiga has a reputation beyond repute

*sticks hand up* i flew out with a few grand, a one way flight, hotel booked for a week, and a car hired.

Found an apartment, found a job. Never looked back since
Its not easy and im still settling in really. But getting there! Its great!
Old Oct 12th 2007, 10:47 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by onlineamiga
*sticks hand up* i flew out with a few grand, a one way flight, hotel booked for a week, and a car hired.

Found an apartment, found a job. Never looked back since
Its not easy and im still settling in really. But getting there! Its great!
cool i think doing it on my own will get more done think as long as you have a income its less of a worry i have backup money but going to try hardest not to dive into it only use a bit to sort appartment out deposit etc
Old Oct 12th 2007, 10:50 am
BE Enthusiast

SoJohn has much to be proud ofSoJohn has much to be proud ofSoJohn has much to be proud ofSoJohn has much to be proud ofSoJohn has much to be proud ofSoJohn has much to be proud ofSoJohn has much to be proud ofSoJohn has much to be proud ofSoJohn has much to be proud ofSoJohn has much to be proud ofSoJohn has much to be proud of

I made the move on my own and also work online. I pay 600 Euros a month rent. Bills Bills, gas bottle costs 11 Euros and it's lasted me 6 weeks so far. Not sure on electric, not got a bill yet. Water, not sure, although I'm told it's cheap. Paying around 55 a month for internet and phone. I currently spend around 30 to 35 Euros a week on food and stuff.

Depends how often you go out! I could quite easily spend 150 Euros a week if I ate out more or went to some clubs. Working from home does kinda kill impule spending though, so that's good.
Old Oct 12th 2007, 10:59 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by SoJohn
I made the move on my own and also work online. I pay 600 Euros a month rent. Bills Bills, gas bottle costs 11 Euros and it's lasted me 6 weeks so far. Not sure on electric, not got a bill yet. Water, not sure, although I'm told it's cheap. Paying around 55 a month for internet and phone. I currently spend around 30 to 35 Euros a week on food and stuff.

Depends how often you go out! I could quite easily spend 150 Euros a week if I ate out more or went to some clubs. Working from home does kinda kill impule spending though, so that's good.
no electric bill yet not sure if thats good or bad lol, well its gotta be better than living in london

see im a carpenter by trade but just had enough of construction sites and to be honest uk winters depresses me even more
but if worst comes to worst i could try get work with a decking or log cabin company
Old Oct 12th 2007, 8:46 pm
Forum Regular

john1979 has a brilliant futurejohn1979 has a brilliant futurejohn1979 has a brilliant futurejohn1979 has a brilliant futurejohn1979 has a brilliant futurejohn1979 has a brilliant futurejohn1979 has a brilliant futurejohn1979 has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by b121
been spain before with friends etc but went with a few grand and being young ended up having a 4 month holiday of drinking and partying

dont regret it actually drove there and one the best road trips we have ever been on but..

i wanna live in spain full time and will be going on my own which to any one can be quite scary idea

i saved money to rent a flat etc and have a online website generating around €1,200 a month and now my day job has ended so see it as ideal time to go

my plan is to work on websites full time think my only issue is going alone and cost living will €1,200 be enough although i be working on site during the day to increase this i dont wanna spend the money i save in the bank as eventually i want use it as deposit to buy a place after year or 2

i cant remember the cost of living shopping , electric etc
Exactly the same story as myself. Partied in Tenerife for a year and came home. Now 27 business i can run from where ever i like and am making the move on the 8th Jan on my own. Split with my girlfriend last month who was coming but just me and my bulldog pup now haha. Know a few people out here already so not all that bad.

Also as my business runs itself and i employ one person here in the UK i am pretty bored. So the guy i got my mortage off has set me up meeting clients on inspection trips to give me something to do and feel like i have a life haha.

Where are you going to ?