Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Who to bank with?

Who to bank with?

Old Aug 10th 2015, 9:04 am
Just Joined

Goldwinger is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Who to bank with?

We will need to have a Spanish bank account. Any suggestions as to who to avoid? I suspect that they are all pretty much alike, unless you guys know different. Thanks
Old Aug 10th 2015, 11:42 am
Herreño

Boseley has a reputation beyond reputeBoseley has a reputation beyond reputeBoseley has a reputation beyond reputeBoseley has a reputation beyond reputeBoseley has a reputation beyond reputeBoseley has a reputation beyond reputeBoseley has a reputation beyond reputeBoseley has a reputation beyond reputeBoseley has a reputation beyond reputeBoseley has a reputation beyond reputeBoseley has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Who to bank with?

Go to the one nearest your front door.
Old Aug 10th 2015, 2:00 pm
Retired and loving it!

snikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond repute

Don't go to the one nearest to you.

Instead, go to one that has the best on-line facilities and the cheapest charges.

These days, one does not need to be close to ones bank.
Old Aug 10th 2015, 3:41 pm
Herreño

Boseley has a reputation beyond reputeBoseley has a reputation beyond reputeBoseley has a reputation beyond reputeBoseley has a reputation beyond reputeBoseley has a reputation beyond reputeBoseley has a reputation beyond reputeBoseley has a reputation beyond reputeBoseley has a reputation beyond reputeBoseley has a reputation beyond reputeBoseley has a reputation beyond reputeBoseley has a reputation beyond repute

I need to withdraw cash, I walk, less than 5 minutes.
Old Aug 10th 2015, 3:53 pm
Retired and loving it!

snikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond repute

I withdraw cash too but not from my bank - I use any one of the many banks on the same (ATM) network.
Old Aug 10th 2015, 5:41 pm
Banned

amideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond repute

To actually try to be helpful, you will find some who consider the difference between €5.49 and €5.24 for any given fee to be a significant reason to choose one bank over another.

But there are other factors to consider, such as online banking and how scattered various branches are (and whether there's one near you and in other towns), where the atms are, and so on. Plus, is their mobile banking app brain-dead, or well designed and comprehensive?

We chose on the basis of convenience rather than cost, including the quality and comprehensiveness of online banking and mobile app, plus, what you can do at an ATM (and where are they and can you find one almost anywhere?) such as transfer money between accounts, transfer abroad, pay bills, etc. Comes in handy on a Sunday afternoon at the beach. Convenience.
Old Aug 11th 2015, 11:54 am
Forum Regular

101wvd is an unknown quantity at this point

Has anyone experience of banking with Santander? We went to see them whilst over in Spain in July and everything seems okay. We do have an account in UK with them that works well but obviously this would be a totally different set up. We will need to do on line banking, money transfers, pay bills, ATM etc. Any good or bad points great fully received.
We were going to open an account in July but as a non resident the costs are somewhat higher so they advised us to wait until we are nearer the time to becoming resident so we can get the benefits rather than be paying non resident rates just for having the account open and not being in use until we buy.
Old Aug 11th 2015, 2:53 pm
Herreño

Bosslady has, and all O.K. here.
Old Aug 11th 2015, 4:41 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Boseley
Bosslady has, and all O.K. here.
That is hopeful then!! Thank you Boseley.
Old Aug 11th 2015, 6:17 pm
Forum Regular

Mustard is an unknown quantity at this point

If you need online banking and have a history with Santander then go with OPENBANK, which is their online bank in Spain. I've been with them for 15 years and never paid a penny in commissions and they offer a full range of services plus free withdrawals from Banco Santander ATMs
Old Aug 11th 2015, 9:34 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Mustard
If you need online banking and have a history with Santander then go with OPENBANK, which is their online bank in Spain. I've been with them for 15 years and never paid a penny in commissions and they offer a full range of services plus free withdrawals from Banco Santander ATMs
Well that seems an even better idea. I wonder why the guy in Santander es did not tell me that!!!

I will take a look at their online banking with OPENBANK. Thank you.
Old Aug 11th 2015, 11:09 pm
Forum Regular

Culebronchris is an unknown quantity at this point

We've banked with several organisations over the years and, to be honest, most of them are much of a muchness. Or should I say they all sell similar products. The problem is that you can't guarantee that any particular branch will actually set you up with the "correct" account. Your best bet is to do the checking yourself from amongst the ones you consider possibles.

I remember, for instance, asking Banesto (now Santander) for a list of their commisions and charges which they dutifully supplied. I also asked about Internet banking (this was years ago) and they told me all about that too. Unfortunately I didn't ask for all the charges associated with their Internet banking which they considered to be a separate service not linked to the primary account - there was no mention of internet fees so I presumed there were none. In fact every transaction was charged at 2€. They also failed to tell me that, as I was working, I should have one of the "cuenta nomina" accounts. I asked about a current account in my imperfect Spanish so that was what they told me about.

Spain is a country that likes cash so having a bank machine you can use for free is important and although you can do most things online there are things you can't - like paying in cash. So you need an account which gives you somewhere close to do that too.

I kept the name of the bank that won some sort of Governmnet conducted survey for the best bank in terms of customer satisfaction and lowest charges. I'd never heard of it till then but it was called the Triodos bank. Second on the list was ING Direct.
Old Aug 11th 2015, 11:28 pm
Forum Regular

Very helpful post and thank you for taking the time. Santander did tell us about the charges for internet banking and transactions as we would need to transfer pensions etc. I will take a look at the other 2 you mention.

Hopefully they will translate to English as the Spanish is not fluent enough yet!!!
Old Aug 12th 2015, 4:33 am
BE Enthusiast

Dondurma has a reputation beyond reputeDondurma has a reputation beyond reputeDondurma has a reputation beyond reputeDondurma has a reputation beyond reputeDondurma has a reputation beyond reputeDondurma has a reputation beyond reputeDondurma has a reputation beyond reputeDondurma has a reputation beyond reputeDondurma has a reputation beyond reputeDondurma has a reputation beyond reputeDondurma has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by 101wvd
Well that seems an even better idea. I wonder why the guy in Santander es did not tell me that!!!

I will take a look at their online banking with OPENBANK. Thank you.

Could you tell me do they have an English webpage? Thanks
Old Aug 12th 2015, 6:23 am
Forum Regular

Mustard is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Dondurma
Could you tell me do they have an English webpage? Thanks
No, it's a Spanish bank for Spanish residents. That said, once the account is open, the page is intuitive and you only need rudimentary Spanish plus learning a bit of banking vocab to operate it.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.