British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Spain (https://britishexpats.com/forum/spain-75/)
-   -   Where to visit around Cadiz (https://britishexpats.com/forum/spain-75/where-visit-around-cadiz-769255/)

funinthesun Aug 23rd 2012 2:24 pm

Where to visit around Cadiz

We are thinking of taking a holiday and wondered which small towns around Cadiz were worth a visit. We were told Vejer was a good place to use as a base. Has anyone stayed there before or know much about it.

jackytoo Aug 23rd 2012 2:38 pm

Re: Where to visit around Cadiz

Vejer is really nice. I like to stay in cádiz too. There is also Puerto de la Santa María which is a interesting and you can visit some of the sherry houses.

Lynn R Aug 23rd 2012 3:24 pm

We preferred Jerez de la Frontera to Cadiz, but I agree with Jackytoo that El Puerto de Santa Maria is nice. We enjoyed the ferry boat ride from there back to Cadiz when we visited. Both places are easily reached by train from Cadiz, and the service is quite frequent, if you don't want to drive everywhere.

If you are at all interested in horses (and even if you're not it is quite a spectacle) the show at the Real Escuela de Arte Ecuestre in Jerez is lovely, and if you get there early the grounds and buildings where the school is housed and worth exploring. There are lots of sherry bodegas to visit in Jerez as well as in Puerto de Santa Maria.

Pocaloca Aug 23rd 2012 3:39 pm

The third corner of the "sherry triangle", Sanlucar de Barrameda, is worth a visit too. It is on the mouth of the Rio Guadalquivir and you can get fab seafood at the riverside restaurants, and a boat trip up the river to the Doñana natural park. They have horseracing on the beach too, but that's just finished for this year.

In the other direction, Vejer, Conil, Zahara de los Atunes and Tarifa are all lovely, and the beaches down there are out of this world!

Chiclanagir Aug 23rd 2012 5:17 pm

Cadiz is my favourite city. For me it is quite magical surrounded by the sea. Also try Medina Sidonia. Vejer is quite lovely and apparently Hotel Sindhura is worth staying and eating at. Don´t know where you will be coming from but Bolonia, near Tarifa where the Roman ruins are is one of the most beautiful places in Spain. Go before they ruin it with hotels.

Fredbargate Aug 23rd 2012 5:41 pm

Originally Posted by funinthesun (Post 10242657)
We are thinking of taking a holiday and wondered which small towns around Cadiz were worth a visit.

Barbate and if you are British you should visit Cape Trafalgar if only to say you have been there.

teuchterpete Aug 23rd 2012 6:53 pm

Originally Posted by Pocaloca (Post 10242835)
The third corner of the "sherry triangle", Sanlucar de Barrameda, is worth a visit too. It is on the mouth of the Rio Guadalquivir and you can get fab seafood at the riverside restaurants, and a boat trip up the river to the Doñana natural park. They have horseracing on the beach too, but that's just finished for this year.

In the other direction, Vejer, Conil, Zahara de los Atunes and Tarifa are all lovely, and the beaches down there are out of this world!

We have been to Sanlucar a few times and are not really impressed. What about Chipiona? that's really nice, with highest lighthouse in Europe ( I think!) and the "fish traps" on the beach
Pete

Michael74 Aug 23rd 2012 8:30 pm

Great thread. We are driving down to Chiclana de la Frontera from Oliva on the CBN for two weeks in a villa in September. Will certainly make a note of the recommended places to visit.

Chiclanagir Aug 23rd 2012 9:53 pm

Originally Posted by Michael74 (Post 10243356)
Great thread. We are driving down to Chiclana de la Frontera from Oliva on the CBN for two weeks in a villa in September. Will certainly make a note of the recommended places to visit.

Where are you staying in Chiclana and will give some recommendations locally.

Michael74 Aug 23rd 2012 10:13 pm

Originally Posted by Chiclanagir (Post 10243482)
Where are you staying in Chiclana and will give some recommendations locally.

Camino de Santa Rosalia is the address of the villa we have rented, any tips would be much appreciated.

Poppy Mae Aug 23rd 2012 10:45 pm

1 Attachment(s)

Originally Posted by Chiclanagir (Post 10243023)
Cadiz is my favourite city. For me it is quite magical surrounded by the sea. Also try Medina Sidonia. Vejer is quite lovely and apparently Hotel Sindhura is worth staying and eating at. Don´t know where you will be coming from but Bolonia, near Tarifa where the Roman ruins are is one of the most beautiful places in Spain. Go before they ruin it with hotels.

Bolonia is a must, standing in the ruins looking out to sea is one of the most amazing things I have ever experienced, just a little warning once August is over the bars in the immediate area (on the beach) close up so be prepared to either have packed lunch with you are travel back to the main road to find a venta. Also make sure you have your passport or driving licence with you if you visit the ruins your admission will be free if your are from an EU country and can show proof. Just a photo to share with you.

Poppy Mae Aug 23rd 2012 10:55 pm

Originally Posted by Michael74 (Post 10243495)
Camino de Santa Rosalia is the address of the villa we have rented, any tips would be much appreciated.

Ronda is worth a visit as well the views are something to die for, also the train into Seville (really wouldn't bother driving in parking is a nightmare) we had a wonderful time walking around the Old Jewish Sector we went by bus when we went so got to see a bit of the motorway. ;)

Poppy Mae Aug 23rd 2012 11:02 pm

Originally Posted by Michael74 (Post 10243495)

I have checked where this is, not to far from the beach and main stretch of shops and bars are. I Hope you have a wonderful time in the area, Chipiona, Sanlucar and Cape Trafalgar all get the thumbs up as well, not much going on after August but the beach's are to die for. Along the sea front in Chipiona there is a really great place to eat, can't remember the name but you have to go down a few steps to it, is quite a large place, well compared to the other bars there it is.

Michael74 Aug 25th 2012 5:02 pm

To all that have replied to this thread, many thanks for hints and tips of where to visit. Have printed them all and will be certainly having a good look at the various places recommended.

Visiting Seville by train rather than by car was a good tip and would also like to visit Gibraltar - not forgetting our passports !! -

Looking forward to some cooler weather perhaps than the hot weather we've had recently on the Costa Blanca North.

funinthesun Aug 25th 2012 6:03 pm

Thank you for all the suggestions everyone.