Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Where to stay in Spain for the winter for single 30s male?

Where to stay in Spain for the winter for single 30s male?

Old Sep 18th 2008, 3:29 pm
Banned

hamishscot is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Where to stay in Spain for the winter for single 30s male?

I am a single male, early 30s and with a portable job and thinking of heading to spain for a few months in the winter.

I have been to spain a few times so know a bit.

i am looking for suggestions where to go

- somewhere that doesnt get too cold e.g. not madrid, north coast
- nice mix of spanish / brits and other nationalities
- somewhere I can get reliable broadband for work
- somewhere that is lively year round!
- some place I will fit in, e.g. not a retirement place.
- spanish language school would be good

I like valancia city but thinking more of Denia, Gandia area. I am not keen on Costa del sol and barcelona is too expensive and manic as I will have a car with me.

Thanks for any input!
Old Sep 18th 2008, 8:31 pm
¿Dónde estoy?

lynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Where to stay in Spain for the winter for single 30s male?

Originally Posted by hamishscot
I am a single male, early 30s and with a portable job and thinking of heading to spain for a few months in the winter.

I like valancia city but thinking more of Denia, Gandia area. I am not keen on Costa del sol and barcelona is too expensive and manic as I will have a car with me.

Thanks for any input!
Javea, Denia, Gandia etc all fit the bill

lots of language schools & private teachers around, too
Old Sep 19th 2008, 6:47 am
BE Enthusiast

TheLostPhotographer has a reputation beyond reputeTheLostPhotographer has a reputation beyond reputeTheLostPhotographer has a reputation beyond reputeTheLostPhotographer has a reputation beyond reputeTheLostPhotographer has a reputation beyond reputeTheLostPhotographer has a reputation beyond reputeTheLostPhotographer has a reputation beyond reputeTheLostPhotographer has a reputation beyond reputeTheLostPhotographer has a reputation beyond reputeTheLostPhotographer has a reputation beyond reputeTheLostPhotographer has a reputation beyond repute

I know a few single 30 somethings who work over here via phone and net during winter.

Out of season rentals on the coast can be very negotiable. I'm currently in Granada - a very lively city with a great mix of people. Granada itself can get cold in winter. Perhaps look at somewhere like Salobrena on the coast with a mild climate, but within easy reach of social hubs like Granada.

Take a look at www.costatropical.com for more information. Recently set-up website run by a guy trying to organise social events in the area.

I love Granada and will return here in a couple of years time after exploring the rest of Spain. Socially, I've found it to be the most accessible and friendly city I've ever lived in. Very easy to mix on all levels. Not a great place to make money, but I guess that doesn't concern you.
Old Sep 19th 2008, 8:18 am
On the road again.

Dick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks for any input!
Benidorm is about as lively as you will find ,without being manic during the Winter.Although quite a few bars close during Jan and Feb there is plenty going on in the Levante end and the old town.
Also you could stay just a few km. further North, a little quieter. in Altea,Aldea or Alfaz Del Pi which have a good mix of nationalities and plenty of schooling.
Old Sep 19th 2008, 9:37 am
Forum Regular

Kyla is just really niceKyla is just really niceKyla is just really niceKyla is just really niceKyla is just really niceKyla is just really niceKyla is just really niceKyla is just really niceKyla is just really niceKyla is just really nice

Originally Posted by TheLostPhotographer
I know a few single 30 somethings who work over here via phone and net during winter.

Out of season rentals on the coast can be very negotiable. I'm currently in Granada - a very lively city with a great mix of people. Granada itself can get cold in winter. Perhaps look at somewhere like Salobrena on the coast with a mild climate, but within easy reach of social hubs like Granada.

Take a look at www.costatropical.com for more information. Recently set-up website run by a guy trying to organise social events in the area.

I love Granada and will return here in a couple of years time after exploring the rest of Spain. Socially, I've found it to be the most accessible and friendly city I've ever lived in. Very easy to mix on all levels. Not a great place to make money, but I guess that doesn't concern you.
I totally agree. Granada is a fantastic place to live. I moved 4 months ago and love it here.
Old Sep 19th 2008, 10:23 am
Banned

Huevos is a jewel in the roughHuevos is a jewel in the roughHuevos is a jewel in the roughHuevos is a jewel in the rough

spanish language school would be good
The official school of languages is the best, and when you finish the qualification is the only officially recognised one. http://www.eoi-alicante.com/in/ There are branches throughout Spain. Cheap too, because it is state subsidized.
Old Sep 19th 2008, 10:30 am
BE Enthusiast

TheLostPhotographer has a reputation beyond reputeTheLostPhotographer has a reputation beyond reputeTheLostPhotographer has a reputation beyond reputeTheLostPhotographer has a reputation beyond reputeTheLostPhotographer has a reputation beyond reputeTheLostPhotographer has a reputation beyond reputeTheLostPhotographer has a reputation beyond reputeTheLostPhotographer has a reputation beyond reputeTheLostPhotographer has a reputation beyond reputeTheLostPhotographer has a reputation beyond reputeTheLostPhotographer has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Kyla
I totally agree. Granada is a fantastic place to live. I moved 4 months ago and love it here.
You've probably seen me sketching around town. I'm the total scruff shyster artist often hanging around with all the punky squatters and drifters in Granada Most people just laugh when I tell them I used to work in London and NY, but gave it all up to become an artist. It's true I tell you!

Apart from the dog shit (every Spanish town and city IME) my only complaint about Granada is it's very transient nature. People come and go all the time. Tourists obviously, but very large student population and a large number of people who tend only to make seasonal money. It can upset your social routine a bit. On the other hand it's possibly the reason why everyone is so socially open.

A part of me will be sad to leave. I'm going to miss it, but I have very little doubt that I will be back in Two years to buy a place if prices have leveled by then. Current prices are crazy compared to the outrageously low salaries.

I'm off on Monday. Hoping to clear all my old stock of paintings at bargain prices on the streets this weekend!

The one on the front of my website is up for grabs Snip unsure about link.

Some American guy paid a deposit over a year ago and never came back. So, it's back on the market.

Albycin and City of Granada viewed from Sacramonte at Dusk. Oil on Canvas.

More blatant self-publicity. Artists have to and should be exempt from all rules of the commercial world. Extremely tough making money here presently.

Last edited by jdr; Sep 19th 2008 at 9:51 pm.
Old Sep 19th 2008, 12:34 pm
BE Forum Addict

pwwm has a reputation beyond reputepwwm has a reputation beyond reputepwwm has a reputation beyond reputepwwm has a reputation beyond reputepwwm has a reputation beyond reputepwwm has a reputation beyond reputepwwm has a reputation beyond reputepwwm has a reputation beyond reputepwwm has a reputation beyond reputepwwm has a reputation beyond reputepwwm has a reputation beyond repute

Just been checking the web site, Pozuelo beach is near Albunol not Almunecar and this was was black flagged, I should know I live 6kms from it
Old Sep 19th 2008, 7:56 pm
BE Forum Addict

rachelk has a reputation beyond reputerachelk has a reputation beyond reputerachelk has a reputation beyond reputerachelk has a reputation beyond reputerachelk has a reputation beyond reputerachelk has a reputation beyond reputerachelk has a reputation beyond reputerachelk has a reputation beyond reputerachelk has a reputation beyond reputerachelk has a reputation beyond reputerachelk has a reputation beyond repute

[QUOTE=TheLostPhotographer;6799616]
The one on the front of my website is up for grabs Snip link.
Are you sure you linked that right?

I got a scary message

¡Este sitio es una web atacante!

Este sitio web en www.freewebtown.com ha sido reportado como una web atacante y ha sido bloqueada basándose en sus preferencias de seguridad.

Los sitios atacantes intentan instalar programas que pueden robar información privada, usar su ordenador para atacar otros o dañar su sistema.

Algunos sitios atacantes distribuyen intencionalmente software dañino, pero muchos son comprometidos sin el conocimiento o permiso de sus propietarios.
For those who can't follow that in spanish, basically:

It's a dodgy site that tries to install programs to steal private info, to use your computer to attack others or to damage your system Some sites intencionally distribute harmful software but many are comprimised without the knowlege/permission of their owners.

Last edited by jdr; Sep 19th 2008 at 9:52 pm.
Old Sep 19th 2008, 8:04 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by rachelk
Are you sure you linked that right?

I got a scary message

Must remember to migrate my site before I leave.

It's currently on a free server that I use as a sandpit for throwing up any problems. Google and Firefox combined seem to block it. I scan it daily for any infections.

I can understand that free servers lay themselves open to abuse, but personally think this is a bit of Google scaring and monopolising. Then again, I am now making use of Googles very good free blogspot services.

Nothing to worry about accessing my own site where it is now. But, hopefully, if I get my act together this weekend, I'll move it and there will be no problems browsing.

Scare tactics IMO to kill the competition. The web is totally pawned by Google these days, but all will change.

Thanks for letting me know!
Old Sep 19th 2008, 9:50 pm
jdr
RETIRED ;-))

jdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond repute

Must remember to migrate my site before I leave.

It's currently on a free server that I use as a sandpit for throwing up any problems. Google and Firefox combined seem to block it. I scan it daily for any infections.

I can understand that free servers lay themselves open to abuse, but personally think this is a bit of Google scaring and monopolising. Then again, I am now making use of Googles very good free blogspot services.

Nothing to worry about accessing my own site where it is now. But, hopefully, if I get my act together this weekend, I'll move it and there will be no problems browsing.

Scare tactics IMO to kill the competition. The web is totally pawned by Google these days, but all will change.

Thanks for letting me know!
I just had a look at it and got this message, which I don`t think they would put up if it wasn`t legit.
I am removing the link just in case someone gets a nasty from it.
Attached Thumbnails Where to stay in Spain for the winter for single 30s male?-dodgy-site.png  
Old Sep 20th 2008, 10:32 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by jdr
I just had a look at it and got this message, which I don`t think they would put up if it wasn`t legit.
I am removing the link just in case someone gets a nasty from it.
It is a legit warning for the entire freewebtown server, but not any of the files on my site. All free hosting servers get abused, even those offered by Google.

My domain simply points to my website hosted on their servers at their domain. My site is perfectly safe. Other sites on that server may well not be.

Anyway, I'm more likley to be putting new information on my blogspot over the next 18 months as I can do so from my mobile
Old Sep 20th 2008, 12:13 pm
jdr
RETIRED ;-))

jdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond repute

It is a legit warning for the entire freewebtown server, but not any of the files on my site. All free hosting servers get abused, even those offered by Google.

My domain simply points to my website hosted on their servers at their domain. My site is perfectly safe. Other sites on that server may well not be.

Anyway, I'm more likley to be putting new information on my blogspot over the next 18 months as I can do so from my mobile
Fair enough, but we do have to look after the members and as so many nasties have showed up there I feel it best not to link to the server.
Looking forward to the blog on your journey though.
Old Sep 20th 2008, 12:23 pm
BE Forum Addict

valenciatim has a reputation beyond reputevalenciatim has a reputation beyond reputevalenciatim has a reputation beyond reputevalenciatim has a reputation beyond reputevalenciatim has a reputation beyond reputevalenciatim has a reputation beyond reputevalenciatim has a reputation beyond reputevalenciatim has a reputation beyond reputevalenciatim has a reputation beyond reputevalenciatim has a reputation beyond reputevalenciatim has a reputation beyond repute

I couldn't get through any of the warnings, but have managed to in the past.
Could you possibly pm me a link please?
Thanks
Old Sep 20th 2008, 1:36 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by valenciatim
I couldn't get through any of the warnings, but have managed to in the past.
Could you possibly pm me a link please?
Thanks

Hi,

I've pencilled in an hour this evening to move to a new server (if I don't drink to much Rioja!). I'll post a link here once I'm sure no threat messages will emerge. In the meantime you can look at http://www.TheLostPhotographer.blogspot.com and follow links from there.

If you have half decent AV software you won't have a problem anywhere on freewebtown. The fact that it is blocked means that you're security settings are doing their job well, if a little to over zealously.