Where to start

Old Jan 13th 2018, 6:31 pm
Just Joined

ubntfp is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Where to start

Hi there all. Just joined and looking to see what Pros and Cons there are for moving to Spain.

My family and I are getting fed up in UK and having spent an amazing 2 weeks on holiday, weather helped our health, we have decided that we would like to look at maybe moving to Murcia or Valencia areas. Hoping we can do what we do now, sell house buy in Spain and work part time. I'm hoping I can do a driving / delivery job and my wife would be doing accounts. Have an almost 5 year old daughter so pitfalls for schooling as well. Any help advice pointers gratefully appreciated.. NO IDEA what to do lol
Old Jan 13th 2018, 7:34 pm
BE Enthusiast

lurchio has a reputation beyond reputelurchio has a reputation beyond reputelurchio has a reputation beyond reputelurchio has a reputation beyond reputelurchio has a reputation beyond reputelurchio has a reputation beyond reputelurchio has a reputation beyond reputelurchio has a reputation beyond reputelurchio has a reputation beyond reputelurchio has a reputation beyond reputelurchio has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Where to start

First thing, get a big mug of coffee and trawl this forum for similar topics already covered, masses of info there. Loads of help and advice on here, check as I said, and then fine tune it to us!
Old Jan 13th 2018, 8:33 pm

Rosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ubntfp View Post
Hi there all. Just joined and looking to see what Pros and Cons there are for moving to Spain.

My family and I are getting fed up in UK and having spent an amazing 2 weeks on holiday, weather helped our health, we have decided that we would like to look at maybe moving to Murcia or Valencia areas. Hoping we can do what we do now, sell house buy in Spain and work part time. I'm hoping I can do a driving / delivery job and my wife would be doing accounts. Have an almost 5 year old daughter so pitfalls for schooling as well. Any help advice pointers gratefully appreciated.. NO IDEA what to do lol
Hi and a warm welcome to the Spanish forum on BE. Myself and Fred James are the moderators for the Spanish forums whilst myself and BEVS moderate Europe. Please read the Site Rules http://britishexpats.com/site-rules/ adhere to them so that the site runs smoothly. Moderators are there to ensure that the rules of BE are maintained. This is so that members gain the information that they are looking for and find their experiences on the forums to be friendly and worthwhile.

Problems and complaints should always be addressed to a moderator who will look into the matter and deal with it efficiently and fairly. Our members who post in the Spain Forums are usually friendly and helpful with a wealth of knowledge about the issues of living in Spain. I hope that you enjoy your time participating in the forums.

Please let me know if you need any further help.

Rosemary
Old Jan 14th 2018, 5:27 am
BE Forum Addict

tebo53 has a reputation beyond reputetebo53 has a reputation beyond reputetebo53 has a reputation beyond reputetebo53 has a reputation beyond reputetebo53 has a reputation beyond reputetebo53 has a reputation beyond reputetebo53 has a reputation beyond reputetebo53 has a reputation beyond reputetebo53 has a reputation beyond reputetebo53 has a reputation beyond reputetebo53 has a reputation beyond repute

I agree with lurchio. Get as much information about moving to Spain from looking at threads on this site and from the UK .gov sites.

Come back on here with specific questions instead of asking peoples opinions as you will get so many and varied answers it will get more confusing.

But for starters....
.Spain has the highest unemployment rate in the EU.

You will probably need to speak fluent Spanish to get a decent job.

If you come to live in Spain, after 90 days you will need to sign on the foreigners register and prove that you have sufficient income so you will not be a burden on the state. You will need to prove you have healthcare covered for all of the family. After 183 days you will deemed to become a tax resident.

So that is a flavour of what to ask about and be expected to be advised about.

Research, research.

Spain is a fantastic place to live but it's totally different from being here on holiday and you often have to jump through hoops of fire to get what you want or need. If it's your dream then make it happen.....we all did!!

Steve
Old Jan 14th 2018, 9:07 am

Rosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond repute

Your little girl will be fine because she is young enough to be able to go to state school. You and your wife will need to be fluent in Spanish in order to have any chance at all of gaining work. If you chose the Valencia area your daughter will be taught in Valencian as well as Spanish so you will need to gain some understanding of this language too in order to help her with homework and school projects.

Basing a decision such as this on a holiday is dangerous because it means that you will be viewing things through the rose tinted glasses of a calm and relaxing time in a country and real life is never the same. So your research needs to be done with clear and honest minds. Write a long list of everything such as costs, pros and cons, possibilities, positives and negatives and thoroughly weigh it all up once you have the full information.

As Tebo rightly states the unemployment level is high. I have had drivers asking me what their job prospects would be if they moved to the UK and I have had to disappoint them with my answers because they do not speak English.

Remember also that in order to move to Spain you have to prove that you have money in the bank or a steady income that is sufficient to keep the family. There is no benefit system here to fall back on so it is imperative that you are able to maintain your family.

Good luck with your research and I hope that it is a possibility for you.

Rosemary
Old Jan 14th 2018, 9:27 am
BE Forum Addict

Rotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond repute

Reality check , its extremely unlikely you will get a job driving , nearly everyone can do it , your wife will need to be fluent in Spanish to have any chance of getting book keeping work , harsh but true ,second point is you would be mad to buy a house straight off , rent for at least a year then make a decision ,also rent your house out in the UK not sell it as you will need it when you have to go back.
Old Jan 14th 2018, 9:54 am
Forum Regular

Hornets_Nest will become famous soon enough

The most important thing to do is to work out what living in a country is like as opposed to being on holiday there. Those hot summers days are fantastic when you are able to do whatever you like - maybe not so good when you are holding down a 9-5. I'd still say SP has a lot to offer - that's why I'm planning to move - but do your homework and test the water, and always give yourself and escape plan if things don't go as you would have liked. I'd also keep an eye on Brexit and try and convert money and undertake house purchases at the right time (if there is one). For me it's ALL about area and living in an area which is not too dominated by retirees and long term holidaymakers (AKA Ex Pats).
Old Jan 14th 2018, 10:42 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

bobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond repute

For me it's ALL about area and living in an area which is not too dominated by retirees and long term holidaymakers (AKA Ex Pats).
Of course once you make the move you will become an expat yourself !

Last edited by Rosemary; Jan 14th 2018 at 10:45 am. Reason: Corrected quote
Old Jan 14th 2018, 11:45 am
BE Enthusiast

lurchio has a reputation beyond reputelurchio has a reputation beyond reputelurchio has a reputation beyond reputelurchio has a reputation beyond reputelurchio has a reputation beyond reputelurchio has a reputation beyond reputelurchio has a reputation beyond reputelurchio has a reputation beyond reputelurchio has a reputation beyond reputelurchio has a reputation beyond reputelurchio has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Hornets_Nest View Post
The most important thing to do is to work out what living in a country is like as opposed to being on holiday there. Those hot summers days are fantastic when you are able to do whatever you like - maybe not so good when you are holding down a 9-5. I'd still say SP has a lot to offer - that's why I'm planning to move - but do your homework and test the water, and always give yourself and escape plan if things don't go as you would have liked. I'd also keep an eye on Brexit and try and convert money and undertake house purchases at the right time (if there is one). For me it's ALL about area and living in an area which is not too dominated by retirees and long term holidaymakers (AKA Ex Pats).
Ermmmm, the heat is exactly why most do not work 9 to 5. More like 10.00/14.00 and 18.00 to whenever, just in case you are looking for a 9 to 5! I live in a non ex pat area, but am retired so what category would you say? Also, nice to live amongst the Spanish, you do speak Spanish, do you? Also the dialect? Ordering the wrong starter for the meal is okay and no harm done, but the hospital A and E may show the difference.Horses for courses, whatever floats your boat, Spain has. So what if it is an ex pat / retiree area, as long as the person is happy, no problem I say. I look forward to your success story......

Last edited by lurchio; Jan 14th 2018 at 11:53 am.
Old Jan 14th 2018, 12:11 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by lurchio View Post
Ermmmm, the heat is exactly why most do not work 9 to 5
Working 9-5 is a term used in many English speaking countries when referring to full time employment - hope that this helps

As far as my Spanish is concerned I have been learning steadily for 4 years now & whilst I'll never be fluent I get by reasonably well.

As far as 'your category' is concerned I think of most Ex Pats as simply being UK Migrants or in the case of retirees ... long term holidaymakers

Last edited by Hornets_Nest; Jan 14th 2018 at 12:18 pm.
Old Jan 14th 2018, 12:15 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Hornets_Nest View Post
Working 9-5 is a term used in many English speaking countries when referring to full time employment - hope that this helps
Oh dear me, as I said, you have it all to do / learn a new life. You also referenced the HEAT to working, I explained how the Spanish avoid it. You will do well in your move with that attitude I am sure.

Last edited by lurchio; Jan 14th 2018 at 12:20 pm.
Old Jan 14th 2018, 12:34 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by lurchio View Post
Oh dear me, as I said, you have it all to do / learn a new life. You also referenced the HEAT to working, I explained how the Spanish avoid it. You will do well in your move with that attitude I am sure.
Thank you for explaining the Spanish Siesta to us and the fact that in Southern European countries it can get rather hot between midday and mid/late afternoon in the summer - much appreciated

FYI https://www.eyeonspain.com/spain-mag...spyspain2.aspx

Last edited by Hornets_Nest; Jan 14th 2018 at 12:36 pm.
Old Jan 14th 2018, 12:46 pm
BE Enthusiast