British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Spain (https://britishexpats.com/forum/spain-75/)
-   -   Where in Spain to move too?! (https://britishexpats.com/forum/spain-75/where-spain-move-too-884315/)

wilsman77 Dec 2nd 2016 11:18 am

Re: Where in Spain to move too?!
 
Rosemary, can you please put Moses straight on this one for me. I have been to Barca in February and its been bitterly cold with clear blue skies (not that different to UK in Feb on a nice day that is) but in Cabo (Southern Costa Blanca) although it can be a bit windy its still sun bathing weather in a cove on roof terrace etc.

wilsman77 Dec 2nd 2016 11:21 am

Re: Where in Spain to move too?!
 
BTW £ is on its way to 1.19 to the Euro.......

Moses2013 Dec 2nd 2016 11:36 am

Re: Where in Spain to move too?!
 

Originally Posted by Rosemary (Post 12119648)
Putting a slightly different slant on the temperature/weather thing. If you visit somewhere like Benidorm at Christmas and New Year you will see various modes of dress. Brits on holiday are in summer/beach clothes, Spanish people are in full winter warm clothes and Brits who live here permanently are usually dressed somewhere in between.

Rosemary


Very true and all people have a different feel for weather. In reality it won't make a difference if the sea is 14c or 15c. For some it will be too cold in winter anyway and for others it's just fine and 1 or 2 degrees won't make the difference. All I'm saying is that people should really not be too focused how far south a place is and be open for all locations before they rule out places. @ Wilsman, I've also been to Gibraltar in June and it was pissing down while it was sunny in London apparently:rofl:. You can never be in two places at the same time, so judging by when you were there is the wrong approach.

Rosemary Dec 2nd 2016 11:49 am

Re: Where in Spain to move too?!
 

Originally Posted by wilsman77 (Post 12119651)
Rosemary, can you please put Moses straight on this one for me. I have been to Barca in February and its been bitterly cold with clear blue skies (not that different to UK in Feb on a nice day that is) but in Cabo (Southern Costa Blanca) although it can be a bit windy its still sun bathing weather in a cove on roof terrace etc.


Originally Posted by Moses2013 (Post 12119584)
But why do British people only ever mention the area between Alicante & Valencia or futher South. Does Spain just start and stop there? Even above Valencia you will find green and stunning all the way up when there's not a drought.


Everyone has different reasons for where they buy in Spain and luckily the country is big enough and diverse enough to suit all of us. Some value the heat, sunbathing, beach etc and do not mind that this might mean that the area is drier and maybe a little brown. Others do not want the sun, they want it pleasant with less heat and they may also love greenery so will put up with it being a bit cooler and maybe wetter in order to enjoy what they experience.

Personally I did not want to buy in Spain initially because I thought about the heat and constant sun so when we came to look I was quite anti. However, we drove from Alicante to Oliva (in January) and the scenery changed gradually during the journey and I was pleasantly surprised to see that things were becoming greener. We bought a place inland amongst the orange groves, the mountains have plenty of shrubs, there are loads of trees so not boring at all.

I have stayed in the areas around Barcelona and Girona and it is beautifully green, it was generally cooler but not cold. I have also stayed in Granada and was surprised that it was colder than I expected. Each area has something to attract Brits and each area has its own unique ambiance which is valued by many different people.

So please could you all stop having a contest about which area is best and accept that we do not all want the same thing from Spain and that we are individuals who value different things so will make our choices accordingly.

Rosemary

Moses2013 Dec 2nd 2016 12:13 pm

Re: Where in Spain to move too?!
 

Originally Posted by Rosemary (Post 12119671)
Everyone has different reasons for where they buy in Spain and luckily the country is big enough and diverse enough to suit all of us. Some value the heat, sunbathing, beach etc and do not mind that this might mean that the area is drier and maybe a little brown. Others do not want the sun, they want it pleasant with less heat and they may also love greenery so will put up with it being a bit cooler and maybe wetter in order to enjoy what they experience.

Personally I did not want to buy in Spain initially because I thought about the heat and constant sun so when we came to look I was quite anti. However, we drove from Alicante to Oliva (in January) and the scenery changed gradually during the journey and I was pleasantly surprised to see that things were becoming greener. We bought a place inland amongst the orange groves, the mountains have plenty of shrubs, there are loads of trees so not boring at all.

I have stayed in the areas around Barcelona and Girona and it is beautifully green, it was generally cooler but not cold. I have also stayed in Granada and was surprised that it was colder than I expected. Each area has something to attract Brits and each area has its own unique ambiance which is valued by many different people.

So please could you all stop having a contest about which area is best and accept that we do not all want the same thing from Spain and that we are individuals who value different things so will make our choices accordingly.

Rosemary


I totally agree Rosemary. I never had a contest with wilsman77 but I just can't believe that Spain starts in Valencia when it comes to sunbathing or whatever. If people have the wrong information, then this forum is here to clear that up. I'm sure even in Vinaròs people can walk on the beach in January:focus:.

wilsman77 Dec 2nd 2016 12:16 pm

Re: Where in Spain to move too?!
 
okay rosemary I agree that is the end of the matter but I still think "most value the heat, sunbathing, beach etc" is the correct quote :)

Moses2013 Dec 2nd 2016 12:30 pm

Re: Where in Spain to move too?!
 

Originally Posted by wilsman77 (Post 12119695)
okay rosemary I agree that is the end of the matter but I still think "most value the heat, sunbathing, beach etc" is the correct quote :)

Simple wilsman. Move to Granada area where you have clear blue skies, buy a chiminea and put some sand in your back garden including a heated pool:thumbsup:.

wilsman77 Dec 2nd 2016 12:35 pm

Re: Where in Spain to move too?!
 
I wouldn't want to build a pool I my back garden just in case it caused the house to subside like another area in the Murcia region.........

Rosemary Dec 2nd 2016 3:13 pm

Re: Where in Spain to move too?!
 
People come on this forum and ask questions such as where to live. We then tend to ask what sort of place they are looking for, beach, mountain, culture etc and then once we have a clearer picture we tell them what is good and bad about various areas.

Although I often say that I love to visit Valencia city you will rarely see me encouraging others to come to my little corner of Spain for two reasons, one is that I do not want an influx as I love living with my Spanish friends and two is that most people would probably not like my choice. I do not know any Brits here so this would not suit a great number.

One of the reasons that north of Valencia is not talked about so much is that there are less of our members there and the opposite is true of further south so that is talked about more.

Rosemary

KieronF Dec 3rd 2016 11:41 am

Re: Where in Spain to move too?!
 
Try Mallorca

wilsman77 Dec 3rd 2016 11:52 am

Re: Where in Spain to move too?!
 

Originally Posted by KieronF (Post 12120381)
Try Mallorca

Those islands are overpriced and expensive to live on.

Bo S Dec 3rd 2016 7:55 pm

Re: Where in Spain to move too?!
 

Originally Posted by Rosemary (Post 12119648)
Putting a slightly different slant on the temperature/weather thing. If you visit somewhere like Benidorm at Christmas and New Year you will see various modes of dress. Brits on holiday are in summer/beach clothes, Spanish people are in full winter warm clothes and Brits who live here permanently are usually dressed somewhere in between.

Rosemary

Yes, that's true. I observe from quaint little plazas and the such local Spaniards coming out church or restaurants wearing fur coats or overcoats and woollen hats. I'm in jumper and jeans.

KieronF Dec 4th 2016 6:46 pm

Re: Where in Spain to move too?!
 

Originally Posted by wilsman77 (Post 12120385)
Those islands are overpriced and expensive to live on.


But the OP enjoyed the island life in the W.Indies - the islands are not as expensive as they used to be ( once you step away from the principal tourist areas - and who would want to live there anyway)

jonboy Dec 5th 2016 6:35 pm

Re: Where in Spain to move too?!
 
Oh, Katt Katt come back Katt! Two months and no sign of you and yet we are in a great big fight over the best place for you in Spain!

LuisaD Jan 21st 2017 12:40 am

Re: Where in Spain to move too?!
 
The Costa Tropical is really lovely with its micro climate and wonderful food, but it is very quiet out of season... lots of restaurant close and mamy people go back to Granada. I think it is great but you are much younger and might find it too boring... Barcelona region might be better?


All times are GMT. The time now is 4:57 pm.

Powered by vBulletin: ©2000 - 2023, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright © 2023 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.