Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Where to move to in Spain

Where to move to in Spain

Old Mar 28th 2011, 4:13 pm
BE Forum Addict

bxpuser24710519 has a reputation beyond reputebxpuser24710519 has a reputation beyond reputebxpuser24710519 has a reputation beyond reputebxpuser24710519 has a reputation beyond reputebxpuser24710519 has a reputation beyond reputebxpuser24710519 has a reputation beyond reputebxpuser24710519 has a reputation beyond reputebxpuser24710519 has a reputation beyond reputebxpuser24710519 has a reputation beyond reputebxpuser24710519 has a reputation beyond reputebxpuser24710519 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Where to move to in Spain

Originally Posted by whitelinen
I am sorry to hear that you had problems and can only say that I have used it 4 times in the past few years and 3 of those calls were in the middle of the night and it worked every time by being put through to an English speaking operator in just a few seconds.
Problems not quite what I would call it.

Never the less you cannot say something is 100% reliable when it clearly is not. It may have been in your case but that does not happen to everyone.
Old Mar 28th 2011, 4:18 pm
BE Forum Addict

bxpuser24710519 has a reputation beyond reputebxpuser24710519 has a reputation beyond reputebxpuser24710519 has a reputation beyond reputebxpuser24710519 has a reputation beyond reputebxpuser24710519 has a reputation beyond reputebxpuser24710519 has a reputation beyond reputebxpuser24710519 has a reputation beyond reputebxpuser24710519 has a reputation beyond reputebxpuser24710519 has a reputation beyond reputebxpuser24710519 has a reputation beyond reputebxpuser24710519 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by JLFS
How terrible for you, I cant begin to imagine what you went through, and all the " I have had great service in Spain" posts, cannot take away your pain.

If I was not able to communicate in Spanish, I would be quaking in my boots right now, because you must have shattered the belief of many who think that you can rely on others when your language skills are lacking.

Sorry about your sad loss, all the best for the future Captains Wench....
Thank you so much for that post. I have spanish but not confident in using it at times and certainly not to ask for medical help. Since his unexpected death I have said the two things needed when living in foreign country is a good sound basis of the language and a will. They will not make everything better but sure will help.
Old Mar 28th 2011, 4:43 pm

Rosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by The Capitans Wench
Thank you so much for that post. I have spanish but not confident in using it at times and certainly not to ask for medical help. Since his unexpected death I have said the two things needed when living in foreign country is a good sound basis of the language and a will. They will not make everything better but sure will help.
I think that in the emergency situation your second language is difficult to bring to the forfront of your mind because your mind is in such a whirl with what is happening. In that situation it is hard enough saying your name and where you live in English let alone Spanish but I agree with you that it is important to at least have the basics and I also agree regarding the will.

Sorry that you suffered in this way, if you ever want to offload feel free to e-mail me. I was a counsellor in the UK for CRUISE so I promise not to say anything inappropriate.

Rosemary
Old Mar 28th 2011, 5:09 pm
jdr
RETIRED ;-))

jdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by whitelinen
It is a 24/7 emergency number............. people can rely on it 100%
I know someone that used it and was passed around like playing pass the parcel, no one knew the area, ambulance arrived after about half an hour, they live about five mins from the hospital.
Old Mar 28th 2011, 6:14 pm
Forum Regular

Mama_Carol is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by The Capitans Wench
NO you cannot ! I rang this number when my husband was dying, I rang it from UK mobile, spanish mobile and landline and everytime I had to wait to be connected and NEVER was. I never got an english speaker on the phone. My husband died while trying.

At 10.30 pm it did not work either, Mama_Carol
CW. I am so sorry to hear of your loss.

Our situation was bad but nowhere near what you experienced. I cannot even image what you went through.
Old Mar 28th 2011, 6:32 pm
Banned

JLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond repute

there are plenty of cases cited in the British media about failing emergency services, reatction times and mistakes.

I personally have heard some terrible tales, but there does not seem to be a much attention drawn to them, a close family friend lost her leg to gangreen, whilst she was under the local health centre for what started out as a blister.

It was getting worse and worse, but no one thought to send her to the hospital untill it was too late to save the leg.

No follow up,no inquiry to make sure that it did not happen again, in the UK this type of incident is what keeps the newspapers full.
Old Mar 28th 2011, 6:58 pm
Just Joined

Big Mac is a jewel in the roughBig Mac is a jewel in the roughBig Mac is a jewel in the roughBig Mac is a jewel in the roughBig Mac is a jewel in the rough

I genuinely do sympathize with the very tragic incidents posted but am at a loss as to how they can come under the heading `where to move to in Spain' Perhaps Spanish Job started this post to see how many tangents he could create. From skate parks in Spain to gangrene in the UK. Anyone seen such a diversion from an original topic in so few posts?
Old Mar 28th 2011, 7:06 pm
Banned

JLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Big Mac
I genuinely do sympathize with the very tragic incidents posted but am at a loss as to how they can come under the heading `where to move to in Spain' Perhaps Spanish Job started this post to see how many tangents he could create. From skate parks in Spain to gangrene in the UK. Anyone seen such a diversion from an original topic in so few posts?
The gangrene incident was in Spain not the Uk.
Old Mar 28th 2011, 7:28 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Big Mac

Errrr and your purpose of posting ? Not related to the OP post at all. At least we are talking about events that have happened in Spain and are relevant if you have no or little spanish.

Yes I have seen such deviation, it is fairly normal and usually the thread goes back on topic.
Old Mar 28th 2011, 7:30 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

agoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by JLFS
The gangrene incident was in Spain not the Uk.
I knew what you meant, but perhaps they couldn't believe such a thing could happen in Spain!
Old Mar 28th 2011, 7:55 pm
Banned

The tangents seemed pretty relevant to me, usually the posters on here are worried about what would happen if their language skills are not up to scratch, but they have every intention of improving, wether they achieve it is another matter.

As the OP is adamant that he does not want to learn Spanish, the forum members were just giving their take and personal experience.

Some make very tragic reading, ans should be an eye opener to the things that are taken for granted when conversing in ones own language.
Old Mar 28th 2011, 8:04 pm
BE Forum Addict

montgomail has a reputation beyond reputemontgomail has a reputation beyond reputemontgomail has a reputation beyond reputemontgomail has a reputation beyond reputemontgomail has a reputation beyond reputemontgomail has a reputation beyond reputemontgomail has a reputation beyond reputemontgomail has a reputation beyond reputemontgomail has a reputation beyond reputemontgomail has a reputation beyond reputemontgomail has a reputation beyond repute

The OP appears to have been trolling but at least some useful advice has been posted as a result of this thread.
Old Mar 28th 2011, 8:57 pm
Forum Regular

margaretmwilson will become famous soon enough

We have an apartment in Los Altos, 4 miles from Torrevieja. The majority of people who live there are English with a few Spanish & Swedish. If you were only going for a short period of time you could get away without speaking Spanish, however once you go further afield into the surrounding towns you would need a little bit of spanish, even if just to order a cup of coffee and a sandwich. On the actual urbanization all the bars and restaurants are english speaking. Like other postings, when there are emergencies that's when the problems arise.
Old Mar 28th 2011, 11:05 pm
Forum Regular

goaty has a brilliant futuregoaty has a brilliant futuregoaty has a brilliant futuregoaty has a brilliant futuregoaty has a brilliant futuregoaty has a brilliant future

I hope the OP falls flat on his face, I have no sympathy for anyone who goes to a country and makes NO effort to learn the language of that country. I know a lot of EX-Pats are not the brightest sparks, but surely they must realise how easier their lives could become. As people have commentated, real life emergency situations occur, and you have to rely on someone else because of your own stupidity.
Old Mar 28th 2011, 11:32 pm
Democracy advocate

Cape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by goaty
I hope the OP falls flat on his face, I have no sympathy for anyone who goes to a country and makes NO effort to learn the language of that country. I know a lot of EX-Pats are not the brightest sparks, but surely they must realise how easier their lives could become. As people have commentated, real life emergency situations occur, and you have to rely on someone else because of your own stupidity.
Just shout louder in English - normally works.

They don't like it up 'em.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.