Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Where to move to on the Costas?

Where to move to on the Costas?

Old Jul 20th 2015, 4:46 am
Forum Regular

minouette has a reputation beyond reputeminouette has a reputation beyond reputeminouette has a reputation beyond reputeminouette has a reputation beyond reputeminouette has a reputation beyond reputeminouette has a reputation beyond reputeminouette has a reputation beyond reputeminouette has a reputation beyond reputeminouette has a reputation beyond reputeminouette has a reputation beyond reputeminouette has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Where to move to on the Costas?

Originally Posted by Ruth exMunich
Dear Rosemary, dear members of Britishexpats.com,
I want to relocate to Spain. (I'm German born but lived in UK, now unfortunately in Munich, Germany)
So where to move to? Is there somewhere which has (some) relativeley quiet streets but also doctors, caffees, shopping, beaches, etc. nearby.
I'm planning to come to the Costas in autumn when it is not so busy, to see how the towns and villages compare and also hopefully to view some properties.
I would be really grateful for your opinions.
Ruth
Hi Ruth
Why "unfortunately in Munich"? I'm on a project there, 3 days/week, and I find the city very interesting. I did so also 11 years ago when I had another one year project there. To me it looks ideal from location point of view, from standard of life (that I can see), from things to see and to do. So, why "unfortunately"??
With regard to your question: I'm in Cabo Roig, or I've been for soon to be 2 years, but at this point is a holiday home only. I find the area really nice: walking distance to a few beaches, Zenia Boulevard also within walking distance, supermarkets to chose from, many restaurants on The Strip, neighbours from all over, both living there permanently or just max. 6 months/year like me.
Good luck with your search!
Old Jul 20th 2015, 7:25 am
BE Enthusiast

wilsman77 has a reputation beyond reputewilsman77 has a reputation beyond reputewilsman77 has a reputation beyond reputewilsman77 has a reputation beyond reputewilsman77 has a reputation beyond reputewilsman77 has a reputation beyond reputewilsman77 has a reputation beyond reputewilsman77 has a reputation beyond reputewilsman77 has a reputation beyond reputewilsman77 has a reputation beyond reputewilsman77 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by minouette
Hi Ruth
Why "unfortunately in Munich"? I'm on a project there, 3 days/week, and I find the city very interesting. I did so also 11 years ago when I had another one year project there. To me it looks ideal from location point of view, from standard of life (that I can see), from things to see and to do. So, why "unfortunately"??
With regard to your question: I'm in Cabo Roig, or I've been for soon to be 2 years, but at this point is a holiday home only. I find the area really nice: walking distance to a few beaches, Zenia Boulevard also within walking distance, supermarkets to chose from, many restaurants on The Strip, neighbours from all over, both living there permanently or just max. 6 months/year like me.
Good luck with your search!
Hi, are you anywhere near Lomas De Cabo Roig?
Old Jul 20th 2015, 10:25 am
BE Forum Addict

Maybe1day has a reputation beyond reputeMaybe1day has a reputation beyond reputeMaybe1day has a reputation beyond reputeMaybe1day has a reputation beyond reputeMaybe1day has a reputation beyond reputeMaybe1day has a reputation beyond reputeMaybe1day has a reputation beyond reputeMaybe1day has a reputation beyond reputeMaybe1day has a reputation beyond reputeMaybe1day has a reputation beyond reputeMaybe1day has a reputation beyond repute

We are in Andalusia, we were working a few years ago but haven't done anything for several years. We are resident and recently we found that we were fully covered by the Andalusian health service. We pay about 40% of medicine costs and I have an appointment for a hernia Op at the end of this month, after only waiting 5 wks. A couple of years ago while working here I had some stents inserted at Malaga University clinic. Excellent, as good as anything I have seen in Europe. If you are covered in one way or another the service is good, usually an appointment to see your doctor the next day, or emergency treatment after a short wait 10 mins.
Old Jul 20th 2015, 7:05 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Moses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond repute

Dear All!,
Great to get so many responses, thanks so much for all your suggestions! I will certainly put those places on my list when I come down there!

Mallorca: not a good choice in my case. I want to be able to drive if necessary - for example with all furniture, ect. (from southern Germany it takes long but with an overnight stay should be an option).

Renting for a while: yes, of course you're so right! But I will need the rental income of my flat in Munich to live on in Spain. And I will get an extremely good mortgage deal which will be sucured by family. And I have a blind old cat and don't want him to suffer with lots of moving. So....

Munich: ... is a place for the rich and perhaps for students (if they have richt parents). If you're not recognised easily as an "interesting" foreigner, you have almost no chance in talking to somebody (like it is usual in English pubs for example). Everybody is busy in being cool (Germans are only outgoing on holiday). You keep talking only to the friends you came to the location with, therefore just as good to stay home. Do I need a very expensive city to do that? And also - it is very cold in winter - 10 degrees C daytime temperature not unusual - I hate the cold! By the way, I am allowed to make these statements, I was born and grew up 20 miles from Munich!

Over all I have come to the conclusion that I cannot afford to keep living in Munich, especially if I want to decrease my working. So why not move to sunny Spain!

Is there anything else, I' have to be warned about? Lots of burglaries when living in a groundfloor flat or house? Getting ripped of by estate agents (know a good website?). When is IKEA coming to the area? How good is the Spanish health care system?

Ok, I could go on forever, but better not now.
Looking forward to your opinions - Thanks!
You can find good and bad in Spain, just like you'd find in Germany. Munich is expensive, but there are also plenty of other areas in Germany that aren't as expensive and probably cheaper than Spain. It really depends what you want in life, but not every area in Spain will work out for you, just because it works out for somebody else. Sun is one thing, but after a few weeks areas that seemed nice can get boring too and unfortunately many places are overcrowded during summer + when it rains you can see the true ugliness of some places. It's always easy to complain about Germany, but many people realise what they actually had when they leave.
Old Jul 20th 2015, 11:20 pm
Forum Regular

minouette has a reputation beyond reputeminouette has a reputation beyond reputeminouette has a reputation beyond reputeminouette has a reputation beyond reputeminouette has a reputation beyond reputeminouette has a reputation beyond reputeminouette has a reputation beyond reputeminouette has a reputation beyond reputeminouette has a reputation beyond reputeminouette has a reputation beyond reputeminouette has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by wilsman77
Hi, are you anywhere near Lomas De Cabo Roig?
No, I'm on the other side of N332.
Old Jul 26th 2015, 11:38 pm
BE Enthusiast

wilsman77 has a reputation beyond reputewilsman77 has a reputation beyond reputewilsman77 has a reputation beyond reputewilsman77 has a reputation beyond reputewilsman77 has a reputation beyond reputewilsman77 has a reputation beyond reputewilsman77 has a reputation beyond reputewilsman77 has a reputation beyond reputewilsman77 has a reputation beyond reputewilsman77 has a reputation beyond reputewilsman77 has a reputation beyond repute

the poor side.... just kidding. I am due out end of August cant wait. Dreading the state that my daughter and her friends have left the place in. Does anyone know if Ruth relocated or not?
Old Jul 27th 2015, 12:34 am
Banned

amideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond repute

Mallorca: not a good choice in my case. I want to be able to drive if necessary - for example with all furniture, ect. (from southern Germany it takes long but with an overnight stay should be an option).
That's fine. But just for the record, many, if not most expats living here drive here with their furnishings. It's a pretty common thing to do. We did.
Old Jul 27th 2015, 5:33 am
Just Joined

Ruth exMunich is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi Wilsman,
No, I haven't relocated as yet! I'm going to see the areas some of you have suggested the end of August/September, and then again in October. First I have to find a location I like and offers what I need, taking into consideration that it may look different when the season is over. Then I can go and see a few properties and calculate what I can really afford. (Renting out my flat in Munich would hopefully be almost enough for the living costs.) I would hope to be able to meet some of you spain-experienced people. Also I hope to bring a friend along - 4 eyes see more that 2!
So to sum it up:
It's mostly sunny (with perhaps the need for air conditioning at night)
sometimes in winter chilly (but that's ok if its not minus 10 Celsius for weeks)
living costs are considerably lower than Munich
health care seems to be really good
lots of supermarkets and shops around

Really - I can hardly wait, but of course being German borne I have to make a thourough assessment of the different locations possible.
I will post here when I will be actually over to visit.
Old Aug 11th 2015, 4:51 am
Just Joined

Ruth exMunich is an unknown quantity at this point

Dear All,

I am coming to scout out the area as from the 30th August. Unfortunately only for one week. Is anybody out there at that time and would like to meet up? Can you recommend anybody I should meet? (like an estate agent, ect.?)
Old Aug 11th 2015, 5:50 am
BE Enthusiast

Dear All,

I am coming to scout out the area as from the 30th August. Unfortunately only for one week. Is anybody out there at that time and would like to meet up? Can you recommend anybody I should meet? (like an estate agent, ect.?)
Ruth I am not in Cabo until end of September & again middle of October I had to cancel end of August due to work commitments (so boring)
Old Aug 28th 2015, 2:40 am
BE Enthusiast

Ruth, good luck with the house hunt. Dont foget Cabo is the place to be.......