Reload this Page >

Where to live in Seville ?

Where to live in Seville ?

Old Feb 20th 2010, 8:15 pm
Just Joined

didi1 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Where to live in Seville ?

Originally Posted by Veleta
Do you want city centre or suburbs? I don't know your son's school but if the museo is the one I am thinking of then it is dead centre. Do you want to be walking distance from the school? (bearing in mind that moving around by car is NOT FUN).
I don`t have a driving license so that won't be a problem for me , thats why we were hoping to find a place near to the school , however we do have a dog so that makes things a little more complicated!. I would prefer to live in the centre but with an animal it might be a little more difficult.I should be going to seville in march to find a flat or a house and i really needed to know the areas that we should avoid. thanks
Old Feb 20th 2010, 8:38 pm
BE Forum Addict

Veleta is a splendid one to beholdVeleta is a splendid one to beholdVeleta is a splendid one to beholdVeleta is a splendid one to beholdVeleta is a splendid one to beholdVeleta is a splendid one to beholdVeleta is a splendid one to beholdVeleta is a splendid one to beholdVeleta is a splendid one to beholdVeleta is a splendid one to beholdVeleta is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by didi1
I don`t have a driving license so that won't be a problem for me , thats why we were hoping to find a place near to the school , however we do have a dog so that makes things a little more complicated!. I would prefer to live in the centre but with an animal it might be a little more difficult.I should be going to seville in march to find a flat or a house and i really needed to know the areas that we should avoid. thanks
If it's only a small dog it shouldn't be a problem. It's quite normal to keep a dog in an apartment (including rented apartments). However, if you want a house with a garden then you'll have to go waaaay out of the centre, or out of the city completely. Then, without a licence, you'll be a bit stranded.
Old Feb 21st 2010, 6:34 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by MikeQuigley
One consideration is what kind of environment you want. If you're happy to live out in the suburbs, you can get more room for your money and probably get a quiet situation. Alternatively you can do what we did and rent in an area near the river, which is very scenic and very lively. We are close to the Plaza de Cuba, on the border between Triana and Los Remedios. From here to the Museo de Taurinos is about a 10 minute walk, across the San Telmo bridge and along the riverside. Our flat has a big sittingroom, a good sized master bedroom and a smallish one (twin beds) for guests. We pay €850 a month plus electricity etc.

Further along in Triana, you can access the Isabel II bridge, which gets you close to the Museo.

Triana is mostly lowrise and has a nice bohemian feel to it. Los Remedios is posher but still pleasant.

My impression is that if you want to live within walking distance of the school, you'll get better value and better accommodation on the Triana/LR side of the river. A snag anywhere within the city is trying to find parking for a car. A place in a garage costs around €100 per month and they are not readily available. However, apart from making trips outside the city, you don't really need a car here. The public transport is cheap, extensive and works very well. You could consider not having a car, and renting one when you want to make a trip.

If you prefer the suburban tradeoff, seriously consider living close to a Metro station. The Metro line is modern, fast and works very well, with frequent trains. A good option would be to live in the areas called San Juan de Aznalfarache and Mairena, at the western end of the Metro. From there you can get into Puerta de Jerez station very quickly and walk along the riverside to the area of the school. Those areas are quiet and don't have the buzz of the city, but that may not bother you.

We love Seville ! We're here till July and I think we're going to miss it when we go back home.

Mike Quigley
thanks for your tips, I can't imagine i'd like living in the suburbs, afraid of becoming a "desperate suburbian housewive" especially as I won't be working for a while, not untill I learn some spannish anyway. I have looked at the areas you listed on the net and they seem to be just fine. I just hope having a dog won't be too problematic! Anyway will be in Seville in March to find a place and will let you know, thanks again
Old Feb 21st 2010, 7:40 am
Forum Regular

MikeQuigley is an unknown quantity at this point

Hello didi

I agree that you can live in a flat and still keep a dog - several of my neighbours do.

I've just looked up the Lycee Francaise and it's not where I thought. It's just off calle Torneo, on the edge of the Macarena district. In that case, you'd best live in Macarena, which is an old and interesting district, with its own covered market.

I don't agree that you'll be isolated without a car: avoid the suburbs, live in the city and use the many bus routes, and also the Metro. Get the excellent map of bus routes from a tourist office. When using the bus, get a re-chargeable card, available from tobacconists. It makes the bus journey really cheap. Similarly on the Metro, but it's a different card, and you have to get it from a machine in a Metro station; the machines can be daunting but there's usually a staff member around whose job it is to help you - and helpful they are.

The trick that they have missed with the Metro is that it's hard to find a city map that also displays the Metro line and stations. The one I found is an "Insight Flexi-map", printed in English, which I got at the bookstore in calle Velasquez. If you live in Macarena you won't be near the Metro, but you will have good bus services available.

Mike
Old Feb 21st 2010, 8:11 am
Just Joined

Hello didi

I agree that you can live in a flat and still keep a dog - several of my neighbours do.

I've just looked up the Lycee Francaise and it's not where I thought. It's just off calle Torneo, on the edge of the Macarena district. In that case, you'd best live in Macarena, which is an old and interesting district, with its own covered market.

I don't agree that you'll be isolated without a car: avoid the suburbs, live in the city and use the many bus routes, and also the Metro. Get the excellent map of bus routes from a tourist office. When using the bus, get a re-chargeable card, available from tobacconists. It makes the bus journey really cheap. Similarly on the Metro, but it's a different card, and you have to get it from a machine in a Metro station; the machines can be daunting but there's usually a staff member around whose job it is to help you - and helpful they are.

The trick that they have missed with the Metro is that it's hard to find a city map that also displays the Metro line and stations. The one I found is an "Insight Flexi-map", printed in English, which I got at the bookstore in calle Velasquez. If you live in Macarena you won't be near the Metro, but you will have good bus services available.

Mike
Hi Mike, you people are great, I tried to get some info on other forums but they were just full of erasmus students giving tips on the best bars( important enough subject but not our main priority at the moment).It will be odd living back in a city, we live in the countryside in the south of france in a very self sufficient village.My husband is french and so are most of are friends so no problems integrating here,I suppose it will be another kettle of fish in seville! I've heard that Macarena area is rough enough, is this true or an exaggeration?. Did you speak spannish before moving to Seville? Bye for now
Old Feb 21st 2010, 11:47 am
Forum Regular

I don't think that Macarena is rough. It is an old quarter and looks seedy in places, but it's also quite bohemian. I found a good yoga workshop there the other day. There is a cafe that does jazz on Sunday evenings, a cafe where chess players congregate, a good covered market. My Spanish teacher lives there and she loves it. However it is a varied district and perhaps some locations are better than others.

I started learning Spanish 18 months ago, when we started planning our trip. We came to Seville last May and did two weeks at the (very good) academy CLIC, which is close to Plaza Nueva. We've just finished three more weeks there: mornings 0915 - 1300, two classes, 5 days a week. The atmosphere is nice and the teachers are all good professionals, some of them outstanding. Also, CLIC will put you in touch with locals who want to improve their English, and you can arrange with them to do "intercambio" sessions, where you spend an hour (or more) talking, half the time in English, half in Spanish. It costs nothing - you don't even have to enrol in a CLIC class to do this. And it is a great way to improve. However, you should be warned that the local accent here is hard to cope with, and we are often foxed. But the intercambio partners understand the difficulties and speak clearly for you. Oh, yes, some of our intercambio partners have become friends and we get together for meals, talking in a mixture of languages.

Another thought, about cars. If you bring a car into Spain and stay for more than 6 months you are legally required to register it on Spanish plates. It's a complicated process and one needs help. In particular, start the registration process the moment you become a registered resident here - this will help you to avoid a punitive tax. Even so it cost us €1100 in fees to do it. Maybe Airbus can help you with the registration process, but if not, we can recommend these people who helped us. They are based near Malaga, but they speak fluent English and are efficient:

Ms Daria Offin, M.E.EXPRESS S.L., Avda. Constitución 3
Alhaurín el Grande, 29120 Málaga

Tlf.: 952 49 00 28
Fax: 952 59 44 25
Email: [email protected]

Best wishes......Mike
Old Feb 21st 2010, 12:47 pm
BE Forum Addict

Veleta is a splendid one to beholdVeleta is a splendid one to beholdVeleta is a splendid one to beholdVeleta is a splendid one to beholdVeleta is a splendid one to beholdVeleta is a splendid one to beholdVeleta is a splendid one to beholdVeleta is a splendid one to beholdVeleta is a splendid one to beholdVeleta is a splendid one to beholdVeleta is a splendid one to behold

Coincidentally I also went to CLIC (albeit some 8 years ago) and I too would highly recommend it. Very professionally run with a high standard of knowledgable staff. There was a really nice mixture of ages and nationalities in the class too.
Old May 16th 2010, 10:13 am
Just Joined

vickeva is an unknown quantity at this point

One consideration is what kind of environment you want. If you're happy to live out in the suburbs, you can get more room for your money and probably get a quiet situation. Alternatively you can do what we did and rent in an area near the river, which is very scenic and very lively. We are close to the Plaza de Cuba, on the border between Triana and Los Remedios. From here to the Museo de Taurinos is about a 10 minute walk, across the San Telmo bridge and along the riverside. Our flat has a big sittingroom, a good sized master bedroom and a smallish one (twin beds) for guests. We pay €850 a month plus electricity etc.

Further along in Triana, you can access the Isabel II bridge, which gets you close to the Museo.

Triana is mostly lowrise and has a nice bohemian feel to it. Los Remedios is posher but still pleasant.

My impression is that if you want to live within walking distance of the school, you'll get better value and better accommodation on the Triana/LR side of the river. A snag anywhere within the city is trying to find parking for a car. A place in a garage costs around €100 per month and they are not readily available. However, apart from making trips outside the city, you don't really need a car here. The public transport is cheap, extensive and works very well. You could consider not having a car, and renting one when you want to make a trip.

If you prefer the suburban tradeoff, seriously consider living close to a Metro station. The Metro line is modern, fast and works very well, with frequent trains. A good option would be to live in the areas called San Juan de Aznalfarache and Mairena, at the western end of the Metro. From there you can get into Puerta de Jerez station very quickly and walk along the riverside to the area of the school. Those areas are quiet and don't have the buzz of the city, but that may not bother you.

We love Seville ! We're here till July and I think we're going to miss it when we go back home.

Mike Quigley
HI Mike..

I am moving to Seville at the end of July this year.... Your apartment sounds perfect!!!! Any chance you could give me the landlords details? It would be for myself and my five year old daughter...
Vicky
Old May 16th 2010, 10:15 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by vickeva
HI Mike..

I am moving to Seville at the end of July this year.... Your apartment sounds perfect!!!! Any chance you could give me the landlords details? It would be for myself and my five year old daughter...
Vicky
Mike... my email is (SNIP). I would SO appreciate any help. I know no one in Seville and am hoping to start a new life there. It is all a bit scary, so having a good place to live would be a bit of a life saver xxx

Last edited by Mitzyboy; May 16th 2010 at 11:06 am. Reason: email removed to avoid you getting spam
Old May 16th 2010, 4:36 pm
Forum Regular

Hello Vicky...

I'd be happy to introduce you to our landlady - and I think she'll be delighted to get a new tenant so quickly, without having to pay an agent. I notice that the editors of this blog don't like us to give e-mail addresses, because of spam. Would you like to text me your e-mail address, or phone me, and then we can correspond directly ?

My mobile is a UK numberSNIP)

Regards....Mike Quigley

Last edited by Mitzyboy; May 17th 2010 at 6:54 pm. Reason: Tel no removed
Old May 16th 2010, 4:40 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by didi1
new to seville and need advice
hello everyone, I`m Irish and have been living in Toulouse, France for a good few years. My husband who works for airbus is being sent to Seville so my son and I are moving too.We are all delighted to move to the south of Spain but I have no idea of what neighbourhoods I should target for housing.Our son will be most likely going to school at the lycee Francais which is near the museo taurino. I would be really grateful if anyone could give me some tips.
Hello DIDI1.....it's some time since you posted your questions, and I presume that you have found somewhere. Just out of interest, which district did you select in the end ?

Mike Quigley
Old May 16th 2010, 9:30 pm
Jur

Jur is an unknown quantity at this point

Hello Vicky...

I'd be happy to introduce you to our landlady - and I think she'll be delighted to get a new tenant so quickly, without having to pay an agent. I notice that the editors of this blog don't like us to give e-mail addresses, because of spam. Would you like to text me your e-mail address, or phone me, and then we can correspond directly ?

My mobile is a UK number: (SNIP)

Regards....Mike Quigley
Mike, the moderators are just being helpful, you wouldn´t want someone like me calling you in the middle of the night, would you?
There´s a private messaging system in place for exchanging personal details, best use that.

Last edited by Mitzyboy; May 17th 2010 at 6:54 pm. Reason: Tel no renmoved
Old May 16th 2010, 10:05 pm
Yaaarp

Madridboy has a reputation beyond reputeMadridboy has a reputation beyond reputeMadridboy has a reputation beyond reputeMadridboy has a reputation beyond reputeMadridboy has a reputation beyond reputeMadridboy has a reputation beyond reputeMadridboy has a reputation beyond reputeMadridboy has a reputation beyond reputeMadridboy has a reputation beyond reputeMadridboy has a reputation beyond reputeMadridboy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jur
Mike, the moderators are just being helpful, you wouldn´t want someone like me calling you in the middle of the night, would you?
There´s a private messaging system in place for exchanging personal details, best use that.
No you wouldn't......his asthma could be mistaken for heavy breathing!

just kidding.
Old May 17th 2010, 11:01 am
Just Joined

Hello Vicky...

My mobile is a UK number:

Regards....Mike Quigley
Hi Mike
Thanks loads for your reply. I texted you my email address last night (hope you got it ok).. If there is are any details or info about the area and the apartment (pics if possible) that you could give me I would be incredibly grateful.... Like, is there internet, tv, nice neighbours (any other kids around).. . Is there any outside space?

Hope this is not asking too much of you... just think of all the good karma ;-)

Vix

Last edited by Mitzyboy; May 17th 2010 at 6:54 pm.
Old May 17th 2010, 11:32 am
Senior Moment

Mitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond repute

I notice that the editors of this blog don't like us to give e-mail addresses, because of spam.

My mobile is a UK number:

Regards....Mike Quigley
I dont mind at all
I'm just trying to protect you ...... giving a private telephone number out aint to wise either

Last edited by Mitzyboy; May 17th 2010 at 6:55 pm.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.