Reload this Page >

Where to live in Andalucia on 350 Euros a month

Where to live in Andalucia on 350 Euros a month

Old Feb 25th 2017, 12:26 pm
Just Joined

pathfinder_05 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Where to live in Andalucia on 350 Euros a month

Hi guys,

I am moving to Spain this summer with my dog and I am looking to spend 350 Euros per month, no more, on accomodation. If I like the area then I will be considering a long term rent (over six months).

I would like to settle down in Andalucia but I don't know where. I know for sure that I will be avoiding the touristy beach resorts. Are the big cities good to live in - Seville, Granada, Cordoba, etc?

A place in a town/city is preferable to living out in the countryside as I have no car, and near a good public transport network. Shops and amenities have to be near by.

I have been using Mil Anuncios to look for property, what are the other good sites, does anyone know?

I have noticed some of the properties have 'gastos incluido', if it isn't covered do you know an average price for a small apartment with one person living in it?

Thanks for any advice you all can offer.
Old Feb 25th 2017, 1:56 pm
Forum Regular

Bridie55 has a reputation beyond reputeBridie55 has a reputation beyond reputeBridie55 has a reputation beyond reputeBridie55 has a reputation beyond reputeBridie55 has a reputation beyond reputeBridie55 has a reputation beyond reputeBridie55 has a reputation beyond reputeBridie55 has a reputation beyond reputeBridie55 has a reputation beyond reputeBridie55 has a reputation beyond reputeBridie55 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Where to live in Andalucia on 350 Euros a month

Originally Posted by pathfinder_05
Hi guys,

I am moving to Spain this summer with my dog and I am looking to spend 350 Euros per month, no more, on accomodation. If I like the area then I will be considering a long term rent (over six months).

I would like to settle down in Andalucia but I don't know where. I know for sure that I will be avoiding the touristy beach resorts. Are the big cities good to live in - Seville, Granada, Cordoba, etc?

A place in a town/city is preferable to living out in the countryside as I have no car, and near a good public transport network. Shops and amenities have to be near by.

I have been using Mil Anuncios to look for property, what are the other good sites, does anyone know?

I have noticed some of the properties have 'gastos incluido', if it isn't covered do you know an average price for a small apartment with one person living in it?

Thanks for any advice you all can offer.
Well you would be able to find a place in Almunecar for that price. But speaking to English who live here you need to be in the 'know ' as many agents charge tourist rates. Almunecar is a lovely busy town with a good bus route to Malaga and Granada and other major towns. Plenty of small shops markets etc. Enough to live with. Even has a weekly English cinema. Not too many Brits but a nice mix of French Belgians and Northern Europeans. Totally not like the Costa del Sol and a very good microclimate. We love it here.
Old Feb 26th 2017, 8:06 am
BE Forum Addict

bxpuser24710519 has a reputation beyond reputebxpuser24710519 has a reputation beyond reputebxpuser24710519 has a reputation beyond reputebxpuser24710519 has a reputation beyond reputebxpuser24710519 has a reputation beyond reputebxpuser24710519 has a reputation beyond reputebxpuser24710519 has a reputation beyond reputebxpuser24710519 has a reputation beyond reputebxpuser24710519 has a reputation beyond reputebxpuser24710519 has a reputation beyond reputebxpuser24710519 has a reputation beyond repute

I don't know what you would find in Sevilla at that price, it is lovely city, I miss my visits to it. Public transport and dogs are not a good mix here. Not allowed on buses and only middle distance trains .... IF no one else travelling objects to it ! The taxis I used in Sevilla area IF they allowed dogs, they had to travel in the boot. I am in Ayamonte now and for that rent you would find something in town. There is bus station to connect with Huelva and Sevilla connecting to trains also the ferry to Portugal and the train there for travel in Portugal.
Old Feb 26th 2017, 8:43 am
BE Enthusiast

Mark604 has a reputation beyond reputeMark604 has a reputation beyond reputeMark604 has a reputation beyond reputeMark604 has a reputation beyond reputeMark604 has a reputation beyond reputeMark604 has a reputation beyond reputeMark604 has a reputation beyond reputeMark604 has a reputation beyond reputeMark604 has a reputation beyond reputeMark604 has a reputation beyond reputeMark604 has a reputation beyond repute

Just out of interest as well, Kyero website does a rental section -

https://www.kyero.com/en/andalucia-p...?max_price=350
Old Feb 26th 2017, 1:24 pm
Just Joined

Thanks Mark, that website had some interesting choices.

Travelling with a dog is a pain. I don't fly, ever, so we are catching the train from Uk to Andalucia (5 days and £800). My dog is only a small yorkie so I have a converted rucksac she can travel in and I believe this is adequate for Spanish public transport.

Also, finding places to rent that allow dogs (and are fully furnished) really is quite difficult, especially on my tight budget.

I looked at Ayamonte and found a few cheap places in the centre of town but I would prefer a larger town, plenty to see and do. The same goes for Almunecar.

Keep the ideas coming guys, all help appreciated.
Old Feb 28th 2017, 2:22 pm
Forum Regular

SteveDW has a reputation beyond reputeSteveDW has a reputation beyond reputeSteveDW has a reputation beyond reputeSteveDW has a reputation beyond reputeSteveDW has a reputation beyond reputeSteveDW has a reputation beyond reputeSteveDW has a reputation beyond reputeSteveDW has a reputation beyond reputeSteveDW has a reputation beyond reputeSteveDW has a reputation beyond reputeSteveDW has a reputation beyond repute

I'd recommend Cadiz. A great city, but not too big. I walk everywhere, and there are a few places in your price range. A very Spanish city, very few expats so you'd probably need some Spanish skills.
Old Feb 28th 2017, 2:59 pm
dmu
Lost in BE Cyberspace

dmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by pathfinder_05
Thanks Mark, that website had some interesting choices.

Travelling with a dog is a pain. I don't fly, ever, so we are catching the train from Uk to Andalucia (5 days and £800). My dog is only a small yorkie so I have a converted rucksac she can travel in and I believe this is adequate for Spanish public transport.

Also, finding places to rent that allow dogs (and are fully furnished) really is quite difficult, especially on my tight budget.

I looked at Ayamonte and found a few cheap places in the centre of town but I would prefer a larger town, plenty to see and do. The same goes for Almunecar.

Keep the ideas coming guys, all help appreciated.
Hi from the France forum! Presume you're taking a ferry, as pets aren't allowed on Eurostar. Also, for the French part of your train journey, you must pay for her ticket (7€ per train, or 50% of the cost of your ticket if she weighs more than 6kg). See
Voyager avec votre animal | SNCF
for other conditions (e.g. dimensions of her travel bag, must be muzzled and on a lead if she weighs more than 6 kg).
If you're passing via Paris, be aware that animals aren't allowed on the RER, métro, or in buses (but I suppose you could conceal her!)
You may know all this already - I just wanted to make sure! Fore-warned is fore-armed!
Old Feb 28th 2017, 5:58 pm
Just Joined

Thanks Steve for the advice. If I had a choice of somewhere to live it would be Cadiz, been there before and love it. A bit over my budget though, not cheap to rent there, I couldn't find many choices, do you know of any good websites for Cadiz? I need somewhere fully furnished that accepts dogs, quite difficult.

Hey DMU, I'm fully prepared for the train journey thanks for the info. As a foot passenger there are no options to cross the channel with a pet. So I am catching a taxi from Folkstone to Calais, via the tunnel, for £200.

Last edited by pathfinder_05; Feb 28th 2017 at 6:23 pm.
Old Feb 28th 2017, 8:23 pm
Forum Regular

SteveDW has a reputation beyond reputeSteveDW has a reputation beyond reputeSteveDW has a reputation beyond reputeSteveDW has a reputation beyond reputeSteveDW has a reputation beyond reputeSteveDW has a reputation beyond reputeSteveDW has a reputation beyond reputeSteveDW has a reputation beyond reputeSteveDW has a reputation beyond reputeSteveDW has a reputation beyond reputeSteveDW has a reputation beyond repute

I googled it - pisos en alquilar Cadiz capital - (I don't return until later in March) and found a couple just in your price range, but fully furnished will be very difficult. Those tend to be holiday lets. Unless you wanted to share a place, then that would be possible. Pets in rented places would depend on the individual landlord I suspect.
Old Mar 1st 2017, 6:35 pm
BE Enthusiast

TheLostPhotographer has a reputation beyond reputeTheLostPhotographer has a reputation beyond reputeTheLostPhotographer has a reputation beyond reputeTheLostPhotographer has a reputation beyond reputeTheLostPhotographer has a reputation beyond reputeTheLostPhotographer has a reputation beyond reputeTheLostPhotographer has a reputation beyond reputeTheLostPhotographer has a reputation beyond reputeTheLostPhotographer has a reputation beyond reputeTheLostPhotographer has a reputation beyond reputeTheLostPhotographer has a reputation beyond repute

Hi.

Andalucia is a big place. Big and varied also. For rented property idealista is your best option online, but asking locally on arrival is an even better option.
https://www.idealista.com/alquiler-l...provincia/mapa

Link is for Malaga, but the site is simple enough to navigate from the home page.

Malaga fits your description and expectations. It is a very easy city to live. Won't take you long to find your own social niche. The centre is increasing in popularity and price, but with luck (and avoiding agents) you could find a studio apartment for €350/month. Alternatively, look at areas like El Palo - a 40 minute walk along the coast. Community charges can vary enormously. An average would be around €60 quarterly for a small studio.

Plenty of other cities to choose from. The further inland - the cheaper (and hotter and colder!) it gets. Be very careful about town life on the high plains during winter. Heating can be pricey.

Granada is my chosen city for many reasons. Rental prices are slightly cheaper than Malaga. However, again - it is in the mountains and can be cold in winter, and intolerably hot in summer for many. The last place I rented (shared) in Granada was free for July and August simply because locals assume no-one wants to be there then. That was a large 2 bed flat (we made it a 3 bed) in the centre for €450/month plus bills (€45/month to cover everything). So, very good value. Found locally by word of mouth.

Dogs are only allowed on buses in a travel box in the luggage compartment. However, this is Spain and much of the time it is down to the drivers discretion.

For larger cities I would choose between Malaga, or Granada. You really need reasonable Spanish in Granada. In Malaga a large proportion of the population speak English. Climate wise, Malaga is much more gentle than Granada. Horses for courses.

Feel free to email me via my blog if you have any specific questions. I could point you in the direction of an English speaking, dog friendly bar in pretty much any city in Spain, but especially in Andalucia.

Good luck!
Old Mar 1st 2017, 6:52 pm
Just Joined

Thanks guys for the info. Much appreciated.

The research continues.