Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

where to live in alicante area

where to live in alicante area

Old May 6th 2007, 9:59 pm
Just Joined

indecisive is an unknown quantity at this point
Default where to live in alicante area

My husband has been offered a job in Alicante and we can't decide whether to accept or not. Trouble is it is a very good job and we know the lifestyle will be great for our kids (7 & 9) and there are so many advantages BUT when we wnet to have a look around we just couldn't see any nice areas to live - everywhere was so built up. We only had a couple of days and probably should have contacted an agent first. So basically what I am asking is whether anyone can recommend any nice areas to live within 30 minutes drive of Alicante. We were hoping to come across small Spanish villages as we don't really want to live on a large urbanisation. We live in Devon so it makes the decision even harder.
Old May 6th 2007, 10:41 pm

Rosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: where to live in alicante area

Originally Posted by indecisive
My husband has been offered a job in Alicante and we can't decide whether to accept or not. Trouble is it is a very good job and we know the lifestyle will be great for our kids (7 & 9) and there are so many advantages BUT when we wnet to have a look around we just couldn't see any nice areas to live - everywhere was so built up. We only had a couple of days and probably should have contacted an agent first. So basically what I am asking is whether anyone can recommend any nice areas to live within 30 minutes drive of Alicante. We were hoping to come across small Spanish villages as we don't really want to live on a large urbanisation. We live in Devon so it makes the decision even harder.
Being a nosey person - where in Devon do you live?

I think you would be able to find several villages around Alicante. Lots of people will probably come on to tell you names. I cannot help because I live nearer to Valencia.

Good Luck in your search.

Rosemary
Old May 6th 2007, 11:06 pm
aspeangel

Hi Indecisive
I live in a small town called Aspe, its a 20 minute drive into Alicante, just a bit inland and south. Its a lovely town, not huge, I imagine population is about 20,000. There is an expat community here but its still a very typical spanish town. The schools are good in the town and there is also a private bi-lingual school on a golf course located about 10 minute drive from here on the way to Alicante, ifs that is the route you want the children to take.There are lots of houses for sale (including mine, if you are interested!!!), there are lots of houses in the countryside here but if you want to be a bit closer to the town then there is a small development of about 200 3/4 bed detached houses (predominantly Spanish owned but also about 15% English) which is walking distance to town, this is where we live. If you have anymore questions about the area then let me know and I will do my best to answer. I have attached a link to the townhall website http://www.ayto-villadeaspe.es, its definitely worth a look around this area.
Take care, aspeangel.

Old May 6th 2007, 11:12 pm
Concierge

mikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond repute

Plenty of nice inland areas not that far from Alicante, and they are usually small villages, just look on you maps of Spain, then check property web sites..
Old May 7th 2007, 12:51 am
Popping in for a chat

Lionda has a reputation beyond reputeLionda has a reputation beyond reputeLionda has a reputation beyond reputeLionda has a reputation beyond reputeLionda has a reputation beyond reputeLionda has a reputation beyond reputeLionda has a reputation beyond reputeLionda has a reputation beyond reputeLionda has a reputation beyond reputeLionda has a reputation beyond reputeLionda has a reputation beyond repute

We are moving on Thursday to an urbanisation just outside the town of Castalla, which is about 30 mins inland from Alicante, we've looked around the area and there seems to be a lot of nice towns around but you won't know until you live there. I assume you will be renting, if so then if you don't like the area you can move somewhere else. Don't buy until you are sure.

Keep coming onto this site and join in, ask as many questions as you feel you need answers to and you will get lots of help. I have had such a lot of help from people on this forum who have become my friends since I joined, hopefully I will be able to meet up with some of them when I am settled in Spain and you will get to know people too, some of the members on here will be living close by.
Old May 7th 2007, 12:54 am
MnM
luna~sea..its a lifestyle

MnM has a reputation beyond reputeMnM has a reputation beyond reputeMnM has a reputation beyond reputeMnM has a reputation beyond reputeMnM has a reputation beyond reputeMnM has a reputation beyond reputeMnM has a reputation beyond reputeMnM has a reputation beyond reputeMnM has a reputation beyond reputeMnM has a reputation beyond reputeMnM has a reputation beyond repute

Hi and welcome to the forum.

A suggestion to your post would be Villajoyosa which is about 36-40 klm from Alicante and is typically Spanish, coastal and very beautiful.

Links here and here.

Best of luck on your decision
Martha
Old May 8th 2007, 1:08 am
Forum Regular

prettypolly90 is an unknown quantity at this point

Hello there, I am fairly new to this web site but have found it most helpful. I know exactly how you feel as my husband annunced new years ever he had been thinking of moving to spain. Now our house is on the market and we are going back at the end of the month with the intention of buying.

We are looking at a property in Yecla which is about 45-50 min drive to Alicante Airport. There are lots of surrounding villages which have British people living there. Yecla is in the country and you have the best of both worlds a town with all the amenities and also the quiet life. There are lots of villages Sax, Viellena, are two I know of there are others but can't think of them just now. I have too have a young child (age 2) and schools are a worry for me although not quite so as for you. Apparently the education is second to none in Spain (or I am hoping). We are using an agent called "Espana Magica" espanamagica.com. They have been recommended by people who have brought property through them. Or another web site I have found useful "yeclaserve.com" which tells you about the area and also has a forum.

I feel that the most important thing for you is to make some contacts and speak to people before you decide. That is what I have done and feel much more confident about it. You will find people most helpful and will be able to answer most of your questions.
Old May 8th 2007, 4:10 am
Just Joined

indecisive is an unknown quantity at this point

Thankyou for all your replies - they are so helpful. We need to be within a 30 minute drive of Alicante as our sons will go to school there so unfortunately that rules out places like Sax and Yecla. Does anyone know how far the Hondon valley is from Alicante? Or what it is like?
Again thanks for all the recommendations - I will carry on looking at them all.
Old May 8th 2007, 8:55 am
aspeangel

Hi Its Aspeangel again!
The Hondon's are about a 10-15 minute drive from Aspe (20 if you go as far as Hondon de las Frailes) - you could probably get into Alicante in 30 minutes from Hondon de las Nieves at a push!
Hope this helps! Again I have to say next time you are here come and have a look at properties around Aspe (and the Hondons) - when the kids get older then they will be likely to have to travel from the Hondon area into Aspe for secondary school.
Take care x

Old May 8th 2007, 8:21 pm
Forum Regular

jenna m is just really nicejenna m is just really nicejenna m is just really nicejenna m is just really nicejenna m is just really nicejenna m is just really nicejenna m is just really nicejenna m is just really nice

This area can be quite amazing when you explore it properly.
When you go inland from Alicante as though heading for Cocentaina - the landscape can really change to fields of wheat, forests and orchards.
San Juan is the beach resport for Alicante.
Maybe try south of Alicante on the coast?
Old May 23rd 2007, 4:31 am
Forum Regular

Sugarlugs is a glorious beacon of lightSugarlugs is a glorious beacon of lightSugarlugs is a glorious beacon of lightSugarlugs is a glorious beacon of lightSugarlugs is a glorious beacon of lightSugarlugs is a glorious beacon of lightSugarlugs is a glorious beacon of lightSugarlugs is a glorious beacon of lightSugarlugs is a glorious beacon of lightSugarlugs is a glorious beacon of lightSugarlugs is a glorious beacon of light

We have just bought a beautiful Finca in Hondon De Los Frailes and it is such a pretty town my friends have lived there for almost a year they have a daughter who is 9 and she goes to school there and loves it she can walk to the school in less than a minute as it is only a small town.
We went there in March this year to look around and everyone is so friendly and there is a lot of English there but not too many and the Spanish mix with them all the time so we decided it was the place for us and ended up buying so I would highly recommend it. I f your looking for a town thats quiet,friendly,sociable and within easy reach of Murcia and Alicante airport this is the place to be. Sorry if I,m gushing but I love the place.
If you need anymore info give me a shout.

Last edited by Sugarlugs; May 23rd 2007 at 4:32 am. Reason: spelling mistake
Old May 23rd 2007, 7:00 am
Forum Regular

Mrs P is just really niceMrs P is just really niceMrs P is just really niceMrs P is just really niceMrs P is just really niceMrs P is just really niceMrs P is just really niceMrs P is just really niceMrs P is just really nice

Inland Alicante is beautiful especially the Foia de Castalla but be careful how far inland and how high you go. It gets blinking freezing in the winter. Frost and snow
Old May 23rd 2007, 10:55 pm
Forum Regular

Darren is a jewel in the roughDarren is a jewel in the roughDarren is a jewel in the roughDarren is a jewel in the roughDarren is a jewel in the rough

There is loads of places, depends on you, but if you want some action Benidorm is not far away, try there.
Old May 23rd 2007, 11:47 pm
Forum Regular

Mrs P is just really niceMrs P is just really niceMrs P is just really niceMrs P is just really niceMrs P is just really niceMrs P is just really niceMrs P is just really niceMrs P is just really niceMrs P is just really nice

Benidorm
I think they were looking for somewhere nice to live

If you want Blackpool by the Med with cheaper beer and sky scrapers, fine.

Personally I hate the place.

Mrs P ( Chris )
Old May 23rd 2007, 11:53 pm
Forum Regular

Darren is a jewel in the roughDarren is a jewel in the roughDarren is a jewel in the roughDarren is a jewel in the roughDarren is a jewel in the rough

Every one to their own. Finestrate the back of benidorm is very upmarket and expensive, Benidorm has services for young people, if you want to move abroad and you have children, they want things to do, not to stagnate in small village yawn....yawn, somepeople need action.

Ok true, some bits are not nice, but it has some action. A small town, with kids how long before they want some scooters... benidorm has 2 sides, new or old, and it has a great beach. I am from Surrey originally a place of plenty of snooty people and very rich, and i had the same mentality now, I live in Spain and have been here for years. Benidorm has great beach, great attractions, its is good for kids and has close cities of alicante and valencia.
It has positives. Alot of them, more than negatives.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.