British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Spain (https://britishexpats.com/forum/spain-75/)
-   -   Where I come from... (https://britishexpats.com/forum/spain-75/where-i-come-739708/)

amideislas Nov 22nd 2011 10:23 am

Where I come from...

Since it is an expat forum, I thought it might be fun to start a "Where I come from" thread for us to offer our comparisons.

So, I'll start:

Where I come from..

Hamburgers are actually made of 100% beef, and hamburger buns come already sliced.

Telephone and Internet costs 19.95 and works even when it's raining!

A large jar of brand-name curry sauce costs 98p.

But a bottle of cheap Spanish wine costs 20 quid.

fionamw Nov 22nd 2011 11:23 am

Re: Where I come from...

I'm not sure where I come from: here, my last home in the UK, last but one, where I spent the most time, where I grew up or where I was born??:confused:;)

Lynn R Nov 22nd 2011 12:51 pm

Where I come from:-

I could go out for a cracking curry or ring up and have one delivered - s*d the jars of curry sauce!

I could buy clothes that are suitable for people other than teenagers or grannies, and aren't made almost exclusively of acrylic/polyester.

The houses have gas central heating

But:

My Council Tax cost £900 a year for a 2 bedroom house (and that was 5 years ago)

I had to have my central heating on in August!

anonimouse Nov 22nd 2011 2:47 pm

Where I come from it's beautiful but it rains at least once in every day:thumbdown:

agoreira Nov 22nd 2011 2:53 pm

Originally Posted by amideislas (Post 9747729)
But a bottle of cheap Spanish wine costs 20 quid.

Not sure where you buy your wine, but you've been had!;)

Rotor Nov 22nd 2011 3:26 pm

Originally Posted by agoreira (Post 9748200)

Yep , El Barato is £2.89 in Aldi ,most likely the same in Spain around 2,50 euros....Grim.... yuk

jackytoo Nov 22nd 2011 3:42 pm

Where I come from it goes dark at 4.30pm.

We can go to the local and have a roast with all the trimmings for £5.95.

We are so rich we don't know the price of a litre of milk;):p

3 decent bottles of French or Australian red wine for £12

Council tax.....who cares:rofl:

jackytoo Nov 22nd 2011 3:44 pm

Originally Posted by agoreira (Post 9748200)

The OP may have come from Norway:D

jdr Nov 22nd 2011 4:21 pm

Originally Posted by jackytoo (Post 9748317)
The OP may have come from Norway:D

That`s a glass not a bottle there. ;);)

Dick Dasterdly Nov 22nd 2011 5:04 pm

From 70 cents a ltr and upwards here, direct from the farmers co-op,.....bring your own containers.

Lorna at Vicenza Nov 22nd 2011 5:32 pm

Where I come from you get humour, wit and sarcasm often in the same paragraph. Where I come from it makes you really laugh out loud.

Where I come from the wine is dearer, but the cider is plentiful and good. By all accounts the beer is ten times better as well.

Where I come from taxis are cheap and regularly used so less people drink and drive.

Where I come from schools offer a wide variety of sports and extra curricula activities at no extra cost to parents. Where I come from the school provides the books and some lessons are actually fun.

Where I come from people know how to go round a roundabout and know that indicators on cars are not Christmas decorations.

Where I come from, there are beautiful places but not always beautiful weather to enjoy them.

Where I come from, the dentist is free for kids and pregnant women. Prescription medicines are free for kids too.

Where I come from Mediterranean vegetables like courgettes, peppers and aubergines cost a fortune.

Where I come from the tomatoes are like red, plastic water bombs.

Where I come from some of the teenagers are bloody scary and drunk.

Where I come from some of the best music and bands have come from too.

Where I come from is where my family still is - so I go back to where I came from.

agoreira Nov 22nd 2011 5:46 pm

Originally Posted by Rotor (Post 9748287)
Yep , El Barato is £2.89 in Aldi ,most likely the same in Spain around 2,50 euros....Grim.... yuk

Bought some Torres Viña Sol today for £4.99, so I could have 4 bottles for £20. Also bought some of my Chilean favourite Luis Felipe Edwards Reservado for £4.50, down from £8.99.
http://www.co-operative.coop/food/de...nd-champagnes/

Lorna at Vicenza Nov 22nd 2011 6:15 pm

I'll raise you and beat you.
5 litres of Prosecco in the brand new, local "fill up your own bottle" place for just 11 Euro. And Prosecco wasn't the cheapest available. Little does the old man running it know that I will soon be his very best and most regular customer :lol:

Where I come from - you don't get prices like that!

Rosemary Nov 22nd 2011 7:16 pm

Who cares about the past, that´s for oldies older than me. It is where I am that matters, the rest is hearsay.:D

Graham

Lorna at Vicenza Nov 22nd 2011 7:20 pm

Originally Posted by The Oddities (Post 9748657)
Who cares about the past, that´s for oldies older than me. It is where I am that matters, the rest is hearsay.:D

Graham

No it's not. As far as I'm concerned most of it is heritage.

There are some parts of my past my kids don't know (and never will) - but as sure as I'm alive and as long as they have close family in England, it's not the past for them. It's now, and it's a big part of mummy, and themselves and the family they have there.