Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Where to go?????

Where to go?????

Old Jan 22nd 2011, 1:16 pm
BE Enthusiast

Atilla is just really niceAtilla is just really niceAtilla is just really niceAtilla is just really niceAtilla is just really niceAtilla is just really niceAtilla is just really niceAtilla is just really niceAtilla is just really nice
Default Where to go?????

Firstly, apologies for this going to several boards here but the same issues apply to different countries and the responses will likely be different. Not all residents of these countries may visit all the forums so it's a case of needs must

I have recently retired at 52 after working 33+ years in the UK and 3 years overseas in the UAE. For a LOOOONG time I have fancied the idea of living abroad and often felt that France would be my end point. I like the language, food, country and the people so it had quite a few ticks in boxes. Of late though a few things have changed. Firstly there is the 'inactifs' issue (the need to have private medical cover now if below state retirement age), then there is the position with the Euro and also on the personal front, I now have some different considerations following life in the UAE. The France specific issues are not show-stoppers but need careful consideration I think.

My desire to relocate is not so much on disillusionment with the UK (albeit there is a lot I'm not happy with - but similar issues affect everywhere), more a case of I'm not SURE it offers me what I want out of life now. Previously I thought ALL I wanted was a sunnier clime, good food, wine and good heritage and culture. I'm not sure though of those ingredients alone are enough now. To fulfil them, France would be ideal, albeit I think somewhere south of the Loire would be needed to benefit from better weather. So I considered Aquitane, Languedoc and Provence. All still viable of course. I also considered Spain and Italy, but I'm just not sure there is as much there as I'd like given that I don't think it's just warmer that I'm after.

Much about the UAE I did not enjoy. Stifling heat for 7 months of the year (50+ often and very high humidity), the cost of most things there (except tat, some food and spices), a somewhat restrictive life style and, at times, the squalor in the backstreets which is far removed from the shots of the beach and its promenade (the Corniche) that the brochures and magazines are full of!!! I did however like a few things there, some of which I miss here. The weather during the winter months, the fact that it was sunny a lot, being able to nip to a very well equipped gym and health complex on foot and being able to pop out for a drink or meal at any number of multi-cultural restaurants or bars in a variety of settings (inside/outside/beach etc etc). May all sound a bit odd but thinking about it now I'm not sure that even France offers ALL of those in the same way at least, unless it is for mega bucks near St Tropez, and even then, there is not such a great variety.

This got me contemplating other locations as potential options with a significant determining factor being the viability of it all, thus ruling out, by and large, places like Canada, USA, Australia etc etc as I have no plans to work (albeit I might if the right thing came along but then of course it's a different ball game and visa requirements vary considerably) and retirement visa options are limited or non-existant. Like I say, France, Spain and Italy are still options but I am now more actively considering:

1) Malaysia: Benefits of the MM2H visa, variety of food and cultures, cosmopolitan, good standard of living and lower costs. Cons include: concerns over area stability, yet to research services and availability/standard, more tropical climate, cost of cars etc. Considering Penang.

2) Phillipines: Similar option but more Phillipine from what I gather than the greater diversity of Malaysia.

3) South Africa: Good visa option. Real concerns over high crime/risk and the numbers of SAs who leave (for the same reasons).

4) Thailand: Again OK but it seems less advanced/sophisticated that 1 & 2 above and there are more concerns over stability.

There are also more general considerations which apply to all, some which are easier to deal with dependant on how close the point of relocation is. They include:

a) Stay there for ever or return as old age creeps in

b) Sell up the house here or keep a base either by keeping it and renting out, investing in a smaller foothold or whatever.

c) Ship all the belongings out, put them in storage or sell off?

d) Medical and other services in other countries.

So, sorry for the long rambling posts. I have been and will be reading as many threads as I can here but any pointers with regard to things I may have missed or other things to consider greatly appreciated. At the moment Malaysia is I think in number one spot, probably with France and Italy as a second above the Phillipines etc.
Old Jan 22nd 2011, 1:36 pm
Banned

jackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Where to go?????

I have friends living (and working) in Singapore and they love it.

The winters are can be quite cold in France, as they are in Spain and Italy. I would also keep a base in your home country as you never know what is round the corner as you get older.
Old Jan 22nd 2011, 2:54 pm
Banned

JLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Atilla,

Very interesting post, but as you have more or less ruled out Spain as the country you wish to settle in, maybe it is best you should ask on the other forums, as I am sure they will give you more info on the countries you are still considering. I know that there is a south Africa forum, where you will get firsthand information on the way of life.

There is an Asian forum too.

You seem to be an itchy feet person, maybe you should put your house up for rent, and consider say, a 6 months stay in the countries that are still on your short list.

That way you will make your descision based on your own experiences, as you will get a lot of conflicting information here.

And think of the fun you will have deciding.
Old Jan 22nd 2011, 4:46 pm
M.O.V.E.D. !

Annetje has a reputation beyond reputeAnnetje has a reputation beyond reputeAnnetje has a reputation beyond reputeAnnetje has a reputation beyond reputeAnnetje has a reputation beyond reputeAnnetje has a reputation beyond reputeAnnetje has a reputation beyond reputeAnnetje has a reputation beyond reputeAnnetje has a reputation beyond reputeAnnetje has a reputation beyond reputeAnnetje has a reputation beyond repute

Have you considered PANAMA ??? Was very high up our list, till our situation changed.
Tax heaven, warm weather and improving fairly quick.
Closely connected to USA ; one needs to be aware of legal issues, but generally, if still in a position to do so,I would move there the moment I sell the house in France.
As one said ; France can get very cold, being in a village in the Provence, I had snow 2 nights ago and today temperature hardly came above freezing.
As soon as sold up here, I put everything in storage and move for 6 months at least to Ayamonte area. Only regret would be that it is not Panama.
Good luck with your decision.

Anne
Old Jan 22nd 2011, 8:48 pm
BE Enthusiast

Atilla is just really niceAtilla is just really niceAtilla is just really niceAtilla is just really niceAtilla is just really niceAtilla is just really niceAtilla is just really niceAtilla is just really niceAtilla is just really nice

Thanks for responses. Interesting. Yep, I've posted to all the various forums. Not ruled out Spain entirely yet as there's always the chance that there are things I hadn't thought of. Research costs nothing, except the time and that of those able to answer on forums etc, so am very grateful.

JLFS, not so much an itchy foot person, don't want to keep floating round but having lived in the UAE for nearly 3 years it's made me realise I really don't want to stay in the UK just now.

Annetje: I had thought to look at Panama, as a result of it cropping up in a discussion elsewhere, but forgot. Will check out tomorrow. Thanks for reminder. Any pointers re the legal issues?

Accept people's reasons and wants are different but can I ask:

1) Why you dropped Panama (no need to say if it's personal of course)?

2) Any reasons why you are getting out of France?

3) What made you choose Ayamonte and why would you still prefer Panama over it?

Years ago all I wanted to do was retire to peaceful countryside, cook, pop to local markets and chill in the garden, maybe fish a little. Now I can I'm not sure that's enough. And I'm not sure France offers the extras I may need. Of course the Euro grief is an issue, as is the medical (but both those apply to many places, the latter to most in one way, shape or form).

I have come across a lot of people who felt France wasn't far enough, warm enough or whatever enough in the end. Again all personal taste of course and, subject to weather being OK, had my needs not changed I think France may have still done it for me. Not now though I think, and not Spain, Italy or Portugal I suspect.

And yes.....it's quite exciting

Last edited by Atilla; Jan 22nd 2011 at 8:58 pm.
Old Jan 22nd 2011, 10:19 pm
Started off with nothing

missile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond repute

Why settle in just one place? There are so many places I want to see and I have been thinking maybe a few months in each then move on might be a better option ......... for me
Old Jan 22nd 2011, 10:23 pm
BE Enthusiast

Might be a pan, at least for starters. Furthest first I think
Old Jan 23rd 2011, 5:53 am
Forum Regular

reggiedh has much to be proud ofreggiedh has much to be proud ofreggiedh has much to be proud ofreggiedh has much to be proud ofreggiedh has much to be proud ofreggiedh has much to be proud ofreggiedh has much to be proud ofreggiedh has much to be proud ofreggiedh has much to be proud ofreggiedh has much to be proud ofreggiedh has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Atilla
Thanks for responses. Interesting. Yep, I've posted to all the various forums. Not ruled out Spain entirely yet as there's always the chance that there are things I hadn't thought of. Research costs nothing, except the time and that of those able to answer on forums etc, so am very grateful.

JLFS, not so much an itchy foot person, don't want to keep floating round but having lived in the UAE for nearly 3 years it's made me realise I really don't want to stay in the UK just now.

Annetje: I had thought to look at Panama, as a result of it cropping up in a discussion elsewhere, but forgot. Will check out tomorrow. Thanks for reminder. Any pointers re the legal issues?

Years ago all I wanted to do was retire to peaceful countryside, cook, pop to local markets and chill in the garden, maybe fish a little. Now I can I'm not sure that's enough. And I'm not sure France offers the extras I may need. Of course the Euro grief is an issue, as is the medical (but both those apply to many places, the latter to most in one way, shape or form).

I have come across a lot of people who felt France wasn't far enough, warm enough or whatever enough in the end. Again all personal taste of course and, subject to weather being OK, had my needs not changed I think France may have still done it for me. Not now though I think, and not Spain, Italy or Portugal I suspect.

Are you not concerned that you might get a little bored? You are only 52 and while the things you seem to want sound very idyllic, my fear would be a lack of things to do once the initial excitement wore off.
Old Jan 23rd 2011, 8:10 am
M.O.V.E.D. !

Annetje has a reputation beyond reputeAnnetje has a reputation beyond reputeAnnetje has a reputation beyond reputeAnnetje has a reputation beyond reputeAnnetje has a reputation beyond reputeAnnetje has a reputation beyond reputeAnnetje has a reputation beyond reputeAnnetje has a reputation beyond reputeAnnetje has a reputation beyond reputeAnnetje has a reputation beyond reputeAnnetje has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Atilla

Hi
Just popped out on the terrace and at 09.30 AM it is still MINUS 5 !!! And white from the snow 3 nights ago. That is just not good enough. The ONLY reason I want to leave, is the climate. I know, some people dont mind the cold, but I do. Having lived in Tanzania, I can not play golf (which is very important to me) with 3/4 layers on.
Talking Tanzania, I compare Panama with Tanzania but then more developed, especially the medical facilities. Concerning the legal matters, I think the problem is a bit only when you want to buy real estate. Further, like in most countries, one has to be patient to sort out all paperwork. Here is a good forum for Panama :http://www.panamaforum.com/forum.php (not sure I am allowed to do this, but anyway.Another good forum with loads of info is http://www.playacommunity.com/index.php
The reason I took it of my list is, being a 50+ year female on my own, I think Panama might be a bit too much of an adventure. I cant even change plugs on an electrical appliance, soooo..... maybe not for the moment. Never say never though, I might still find myself at least visiting and ... who knows.
Now Ayamonte, where do I start ? Over the last 15 years, we visited the area almost every winter (normally jan/febr) and loved it every time. Normally we were in El Portil or El Rompido, but to live there, those villages lived not up to what we wanted. Ayamonte is a lively village with loads of things to do. You have the beach, the golfcourses, Portugal, 2 international airports (Faro and Sevilla) and one generally feels good there. My only concern is the fact I dont speak the lingo. That will be solved when I get there though. At this moment too much on my plate to find the time to learn it. I will be there in February, and intend to investigate as much as I can, to decide where exactly I will give it a go (probably Costa Esuri which is 5 min from Ayamonte).
Right, have fun deciding where you belong and good luck

Anne

Forgot to say : all these lovely people who live or visit there ... go on the Ayamonte forum bit and you can see what I mean. Go into the clubhouse on CE golf, and the atmospere is really nice, buzzing with people, chatting and laughing. Cant compare this to the Costa del Sol, where we never felt ''at home''.

Last edited by Annetje; Jan 23rd 2011 at 8:55 am. Reason: shouldn't forget the people
Old Jan 23rd 2011, 9:14 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

EsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond repute
Smile Re: Where to go?????

Originally Posted by Annetje
Hi
Just popped out on the terrace and at 09.30 AM it is still MINUS 5 !!! And white from the snow 3 nights ago. That is just not good enough. The ONLY reason I want to leave, is the climate. I know, some people dont mind the cold, but I do. Having lived in Tanzania, I can not play golf (which is very important to me) with 3/4 layers on.
Talking Tanzania, I compare Panama with Tanzania but then more developed, especially the medical facilities. Concerning the legal matters, I think the problem is a bit only when you want to buy real estate. Further, like in most countries, one has to be patient to sort out all paperwork. Here is a good forum for Panama :http://www.panamaforum.com/forum.php (not sure I am allowed to do this, but anyway.Another good forum with loads of info is http://www.playacommunity.com/index.php
The reason I took it of my list is, being a 50+ year female on my own, I think Panama might be a bit too much of an adventure. I cant even change plugs on an electrical appliance, soooo..... maybe not for the moment. Never say never though, I might still find myself at least visiting and ... who knows.
Now Ayamonte, where do I start ? Over the last 15 years, we visited the area almost every winter (normally jan/febr) and loved it every time. Normally we were in El Portil or El Rompido, but to live there, those villages lived not up to what we wanted. Ayamonte is a lively village with loads of things to do. You have the beach, the golfcourses, Portugal, 2 international airports (Faro and Sevilla) and one generally feels good there. My only concern is the fact I dont speak the lingo. That will be solved when I get there though. At this moment too much on my plate to find the time to learn it. I will be there in February, and intend to investigate as much as I can, to decide where exactly I will give it a go (probably Costa Esuri which is 5 min from Ayamonte).
Right, have fun deciding where you belong and good luck

Anne

Forgot to say : all these lovely people who live or visit there ... go on the Ayamonte forum bit and you can see what I mean. Go into the clubhouse on CE golf, and the atmospere is really nice, buzzing with people, chatting and laughing. Cant compare this to the Costa del Sol, where we never felt ''at home''.
The weather here in Ayamonte has been great for the last 12 days brilliant sunlight and no rain mid day temps 17-20* night time 8-10*. Few spots of rain yesterday evening and dull with some rain overnight. Hey Ho it will be sunny tommorrow.

Odd thing about the language over the 8 years we have been here we have noticed the with one major exception all places seem to have at least one person who will have a go with Spanglish. The local adult college offers free Spanish for all the varied nationals who have settled here and it is very intensive 5 nights a week for a year but good fun. Interesting as we are going in the previous class is Spaniards doing English coming out.

The exception is the National Tax Office where they seem to be adamant that among 20 or so staff not one will admit to having any English. ODD!

Last edited by EsuriJohn; Jan 23rd 2011 at 9:17 am.
Old Jan 23rd 2011, 9:22 am
Banned

jackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond repute

I have been to Panama, couldn't live there
Old Jan 23rd 2011, 9:26 am
M.O.V.E.D. !

Originally Posted by John & Kath
The weather here in Ayamonte has been great for the last 12 days brilliant sunlight and no rain mid day temps 17-20* night time 8-10*. Few spots of rain yesterday evening and dull with some rain overnight. Hey Ho it will be sunny tommorrow.

Odd thing about the language over the 8 years we have been here we have noticed the with one major exception all places seem to have at least one person who will have a go with Spanglish. The local adult college offers free Spanish for all the varied nationals who have settled here and it is very intensive 5 nights a week for a year but good fun. Interesting as we are going in the previous class is Spaniards doing English coming out.

The exception is the National Tax Office where they seem to be adamant that among 20 or so staff not one will admit to having any English. ODD!

My Spanlish is quit good, especially when used with arms and legs !!! I do speak fluent French and they do have similarities, dont they ?
5 nights a week course, sounds like something I will need, and it will keep me busy as well. CE sounds betterer and betterer all the time (my Frenglish is not bad neither he ?). Dont do taxes, think there are people who are much better at it, just hire one and he/she will sort it out.
Old Jan 23rd 2011, 9:27 am
Not Banned (yet)

steviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by John & Kath

Ayamonte is beginning to sound very attractive...
Old Jan 23rd 2011, 9:30 am
M.O.V.E.D. !

Originally Posted by jackytoo
I have been to Panama, couldn't live there

Why ?
Old Jan 24th 2011, 8:26 am
BE Enthusiast

Thanks both for that. Will look at Panama, and Spain more for that matter (and Ayamonte in particular). On the Ayamonte front, any good hotels that are well placed for say a week exploratory visit? Not long but I figure a few quick hits at places will see them get onto the potentials list or get discounted sharpish. With flight prices to Europe still being OK (ish) I don't mind short trips, especially this time of year. I also plan to hit a few places in France (La Rochelle, Biarrits, Carcassonne, Beziers, Montpelier and some of Provence Var). Probably a good time of year too. I suspect they will all be nice in summer!!

The language courses sound great. When does the academic year start in Spain, is it the same as UK in Sept? I already speak French fairly well. I'd plan go get pretty fluent wherever I ended up by way of classroom based courses supplemented with Linguaphone!! By the way, what's CE? Bit lost on that one?

I have no real ties to the UK so am not bothered so much about being able to get back. No worries about boredom either. I have too much by way of interests even now I'm retired. God knows how I found time to work!!! One thing I do need to be mindful of is health care, as had been pointed out elsewhere, cost, availability AND delivery!!!

Last edited by Atilla; Jan 24th 2011 at 8:43 am.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.