Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Where in Andalucia do you live and why

Where in Andalucia do you live and why

Old Feb 22nd 2011, 6:40 am
Dxf
BE Forum Addict

Dxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Where in Andalucia do you live and why

Hi Lovethesun,

The problem with "the dream" is when you find such a place, is that someone else also wants it, so the prices rise. Yes we "all" want beautiful views out of our windows, we all want privacy when WE want it, and yet, we want to be able to "bump" into other English speaking people occasionally.

The answer is how much of each do you want, or can afford. From "Brit enclaves" like the Costa del Sol, to the remote mountain villages where you will be either the first or possibly the second Brit they have ever seen.

My choice of Chiclana means I have to speak some Spanish, but there are some ex-pats around. This is a holiday area mainly for the Spanish, and whilst there is an active ex-pat community if you want it, it is also possible to avoid them to.

Having lived here for eight years, I am happy with my choice; I said at the start I would give it a year and if I didn't like, I would move "onwards & upwards". So after a year, I sat on my proverbial mountain top, and decided life here would be what "I" repeat "I" made of it, so I had better get my arse in gear and make myself a better life.

That still applies, and life here is what I made, and what I make it tomorrow! So it is all my fault.

Davexf
Old Feb 22nd 2011, 6:53 am
Banned

JLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Dxf
Hi Lovethesun,

The problem with "the dream" is when you find such a place, is that someone else also wants it, so the prices rise. Yes we "all" want beautiful views out of our windows, we all want privacy when WE want it, and yet, we want to be able to "bump" into other English speaking people occasionally.

The answer is how much of each do you want, or can afford. From "Brit enclaves" like the Costa del Sol, to the remote mountain villages where you will be either the first or possibly the second Brit they have ever seen.

My choice of Chiclana means I have to speak some Spanish, but there are some ex-pats around. This is a holiday area mainly for the Spanish, and whilst there is an active ex-pat community if you want it, it is also possible to avoid them to.

Having lived here for eight years, I am happy with my choice; I said at the start I would give it a year and if I didn't like, I would move "onwards & upwards". So after a year, I sat on my proverbial mountain top, and decided life here would be what "I" repeat "I" made of it, so I had better get my arse in gear and make myself a better life.

That still applies, and life here is what I made, and what I make it tomorrow! So it is all my fault.

Davexf
Old Feb 22nd 2011, 7:49 am
FreeThinker

jimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lovethesun
My friend has looked at a map, (coz I am hopeless) do you mean this way. Leave Ronda on mountain road down towards San Pedro then turn right off at Elsucio towards Atagate then Algatocin to Gaucin, is that the nice drive that you mean.
Can't see Elsucio on the map.

The road you want is the A369.
Old Feb 22nd 2011, 7:59 am
Forum Regular

lovethesun is just really nicelovethesun is just really nicelovethesun is just really nicelovethesun is just really nicelovethesun is just really nicelovethesun is just really nicelovethesun is just really nicelovethesun is just really nicelovethesun is just really nice

Originally Posted by JLFS
Well said, I couldn't agree more, I am a big believer in life is what "I" make it, visualisation and all that. I know that once I know exactly what I want, I can make it happen. So until then I will enjoy the things about this house that I do like rather than the things I don't, can't you tell I've woken in a better frame of mind today
Old Feb 22nd 2011, 8:21 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

agoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jimenato
Can't see Elsucio on the map.

The road you want is the A369.
Don´t know Elsucio either. On the mini roundabout by the Almocaber Gate, Barrio San Francisco, with your back to the gate, take the road heading away from the gate, (A369) stay on that road. This walk starts off where you want to be, after about 500 yards, he turns right, you go straight on. (unless they have changed the road layout!).
http://www.rondatoday.com/1188/ronda...za-cave-church
You can go San Pedro direction, take the first right at the first large roundabout (don't drive up the big hill) and pick up the road that way. Failing that, I'll lend you my satnav, a great investment!
Old Feb 22nd 2011, 8:22 am
bil
Banned

bil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond repute

Well said, I couldn't agree more, I am a big believer in life is what "I" make it, visualisation and all that. I know that once I know exactly what I want, I can make it happen. So until then I will enjoy the things about this house that I do like rather than the things I don't, can't you tell I've woken in a better frame of mind today
Well, I dare say you will feel a lot better when the weather warms and there's more sun.

One thing you can do is sit down and create a list of all the things you need to/want to do with the place. It's very satisfying when you start to cross it all off.

Plan the garden, think of all the plants you want to grow.

We have an intercambio going with neighbours. We had several of them saying nice things about the flowers we were growing, so I'd propagate those, and give them some, at the same time asking them for bits off theirs.

It all helps, and there's a certain pleasure in growing your own plants.
Old Feb 22nd 2011, 8:22 am
Banned

JLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks for that, but I think you have me confusted with dxf, he was the person that wrote the great post that we both agree with.........

But I will take all the praise I can get for agreeing with him

Glad to hear that you are a bit perkier and happier today.
Old Feb 22nd 2011, 8:32 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

agoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by JLFS

Glad to hear that you are a bit perkier and happier today.
Yes, now get out and enjoy it! Take a drive around the lake and up to Zahara de la Sierras, stop there for a coffee in the square, have a stroll around. Then take the mountain road that zigzags all the way up to Puerta de las Palomas and then down into Grazalema. Time for another coffee, then loop back and join the road back to Ronda. A great drive.

Last edited by agoreira; Feb 22nd 2011 at 8:36 am.
Old Feb 22nd 2011, 8:33 am
BE Forum Addict

angiescarr has a reputation beyond reputeangiescarr has a reputation beyond reputeangiescarr has a reputation beyond reputeangiescarr has a reputation beyond reputeangiescarr has a reputation beyond reputeangiescarr has a reputation beyond reputeangiescarr has a reputation beyond reputeangiescarr has a reputation beyond reputeangiescarr has a reputation beyond reputeangiescarr has a reputation beyond reputeangiescarr has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Dxf
Hi Lovethesun,

Davexf
Great attitude Very true too.
Old Feb 22nd 2011, 11:12 am
Forum Regular

lovethesun is just really nicelovethesun is just really nicelovethesun is just really nicelovethesun is just really nicelovethesun is just really nicelovethesun is just really nicelovethesun is just really nicelovethesun is just really nicelovethesun is just really nice

Originally Posted by agoreira
Yes, now get out and enjoy it! Take a drive around the lake and up to Zahara de la Sierras, stop there for a coffee in the square, have a stroll around. Then take the mountain road that zigzags all the way up to Puerta de las Palomas and then down into Grazalema. Time for another coffee, then loop back and join the road back to Ronda. A great drive.
Sounds great, unfortunately I do not know one single street apart from the one I am living on, no idea where leads to where, so haven't a clue where you mean. My map reading.... well, say no more! I think I should perhaps get a satnav, I will PM you about that. When I first moved to Tenerife, I drove off exploring, no problem, even if I got lost, within an hour 30mins I would be back home or at least recognise a landmark, whereas here I have visions of seeing men riding bicycles loaded with onions wearing a berret on their head
Old Feb 22nd 2011, 11:30 am
bil
Banned

bil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond repute

Sounds great, unfortunately I do not know one single street apart from the one I am living on, no idea where leads to where, so haven't a clue where you mean. My map reading.... well, say no more! I think I should perhaps get a satnav, I will PM you about that. When I first moved to Tenerife, I drove off exploring, no problem, even if I got lost, within an hour 30mins I would be back home or at least recognise a landmark, whereas here I have visions of seeing men riding bicycles loaded with onions wearing a berret on their head
Zahara means fortress, and the castle there looks like something out of a comic book, perched on the edge of the rock.

Gradually you will build up a mental map of the area and keep adding to it.
Old Feb 22nd 2011, 1:03 pm
Dxf
BE Forum Addict

Dxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Lovethesun,

If you find men in berets with onions hanging from the handlebars, I would be impressed - you'd be in France - quite a way from Ronda !!!

ROFL

But seriously - any cheap sat-nav should get you back to Ronda, and even to your road (be careful not to put your REAL address into it). The road to San Pedro to Alcantara is absolutely wonderful - known to bikers all over the world, and a day out on the Costa del Sol can be therapeutic (But only one day)!

Davexf
Old Feb 22nd 2011, 1:43 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by Dxf
The road to San Pedro to Alcantara is absolutely wonderful
Davexf
Agree, apart from when the clouds descend, and/or the mist and rain decides to put in an appearance. I've driven all over Southern Spain, for many years, and done that route many times, but the time we went up that road one night at about 11pm was probably the scariest I've ever experienced. You literally could not see over the bonnet, and hardly any places to pull over, so we just had to keep going. You couldn't see the car in front until you were inches from it, and waiting all the time for someone to run into the back of you. Even though I know the road, I found myself heading off right to the quarry near the top. It took forever, and was relieved to start dropping down into Ronda when it started clearing. Despite being past midnight, our Spanish hosts made us some nice tapas and wine! Nice people.
Old Feb 22nd 2011, 2:05 pm
bil
Banned

Originally Posted by Dxf
a day out on the Costa del Sol can be therapeutic (But only one day)!

Davexf
That'll be aversion therapy then?
Old Feb 22nd 2011, 8:35 pm
Forum Regular

goaty has a brilliant futuregoaty has a brilliant futuregoaty has a brilliant futuregoaty has a brilliant futuregoaty has a brilliant futuregoaty has a brilliant future

Live in El Puerto, chose it because it's not too big and not too many ex-pats, although bumped into one last night. He couldn't speak Spanish despite living 9 years here

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.