Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Wher to live in spain

Wher to live in spain

Old Feb 22nd 2009, 5:55 pm
Just Joined

juandan is just really nicejuandan is just really nicejuandan is just really nicejuandan is just really nicejuandan is just really nicejuandan is just really nicejuandan is just really nicejuandan is just really nice
Default Wher to live in spain

Hi, I've been thinking of living in spain for some now, but I don't have a clue where to go in spain, I'm single and retired so I'm not looking for work, I have an allotment here in the uk that keeps me occupied most of the time, but what do you do in spain if your not working? I think I would rent first, to see how I get on for the first year, I would appreciate your advice
Old Feb 22nd 2009, 6:19 pm
BE Forum Addict

bigglesworth has a reputation beyond reputebigglesworth has a reputation beyond reputebigglesworth has a reputation beyond reputebigglesworth has a reputation beyond reputebigglesworth has a reputation beyond reputebigglesworth has a reputation beyond reputebigglesworth has a reputation beyond reputebigglesworth has a reputation beyond reputebigglesworth has a reputation beyond reputebigglesworth has a reputation beyond reputebigglesworth has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Wher to live in spain

Depends what you are looking for. If you are able to learn Spanish, anywhere will suit. The forum will need to know more about what you want.
If you are a keen gardener, perhaps the Northwest would be better. Absolutely not so hot - more like Cornwall, but plenty of rain!
Old Feb 22nd 2009, 6:20 pm
Not Banned (yet)

steviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond repute

Why do you want to live in Spain? I'm asking because different areas hold different attractions (and drawbacks). Since I assume you enjoy gardening, you may be better buying somewhere in northern Spain (where the rain allows for more stuff growing all year in the garden). However you would need to speak Spanish in order to fit in, since the number of Brits is far lower on the northern coast.
Old Feb 22nd 2009, 6:45 pm
Just Joined

juandan is just really nicejuandan is just really nicejuandan is just really nicejuandan is just really nicejuandan is just really nicejuandan is just really nicejuandan is just really nicejuandan is just really nice
Default Re: Where to live in spain

The weather is a big factor for me, I love the sun, I like walking, fishing, I like to be outdoors, the winter here in the uk makes me depressed (gray sky's)
I can speak a little spanish I used to work offshore on the rigs, (Welder) some of the catering crew were spanish speakers, and I used to practice my spanish with them,
Old Feb 22nd 2009, 7:36 pm

crispy will become famous soon enoughcrispy will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by juandan
Hi, I've been thinking of living in spain for some now, but I don't have a clue where to go in spain, I'm single and retired so I'm not looking for work, I have an allotment here in the uk that keeps me occupied most of the time, but what do you do in spain if your not working? I think I would rent first, to see how I get on for the first year, I would appreciate your advice

If you don't need to work and you don't want a large British population you can't go far wrong with Costa de la Luz, yes we have the heat and the wind in the summer but we also have magical scenery, great beaches, tons of history and I have even managed to grow some melons. Welcome
jaundan
Old Feb 22nd 2009, 7:38 pm

Cleri is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by crispy
If you don't need to work and you don't want a large British population you can't go far wrong with Costa de la Luz, yes we have the heat and the wind in the summer but we also have magical scenery, great beaches, tons of history and I have even managed to grow some melons. Welcome
jaundan
You and yer melons
Old Feb 22nd 2009, 7:46 pm

Originally Posted by Cleri
You and yer melons
I'm growing bigger ones this year, hubby has dug up some of the lawn for me Cucumber anyone
Old Feb 22nd 2009, 7:57 pm

I'm growing bigger ones this year, hubby has dug up some of the lawn for me Cucumber anyone
Don't mind if I do
Old Feb 22nd 2009, 8:04 pm

Originally Posted by Cleri
Don't mind if I do
You should tell jaundan about Portugal, I think up where you are the weather would be kinder to plants than this area. see I'm not hijacking this thread
Old Feb 22nd 2009, 8:05 pm

You should tell jaundan about Portugal, I think up where you are the weather would be kinder to plants than this area. see I'm not hijacking this thread
I'm gonna get told off again,and it's all your fault...
Old Feb 22nd 2009, 8:16 pm
jjh
BE Enthusiast

jjh has a reputation beyond reputejjh has a reputation beyond reputejjh has a reputation beyond reputejjh has a reputation beyond reputejjh has a reputation beyond reputejjh has a reputation beyond reputejjh has a reputation beyond reputejjh has a reputation beyond reputejjh has a reputation beyond reputejjh has a reputation beyond reputejjh has a reputation beyond repute

jaundan
That´s the second post you´ve made mentioning your melons. Have you no shame woman?

In reply to the original post. I agree with Crispy, the Costa de la Luz is a wonderful place. We´ve lived here in Chiclana for almost 5 years and love it. You would be better to rent for a while to decide which area you would prefer and, also, to find a totally legal house to buy as we have many problems in that respect hereabouts.

Last edited by jjh; Feb 22nd 2009 at 8:18 pm.
Old Feb 23rd 2009, 8:12 am
Started off with nothing

missile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond repute

There is no perfect place. It is pretty much down to you. If you are prpared to make the effort you will enjoy anywhere. Gardening is very rewarding in spain. You can grow almost anything on the Costas, but obviously you will need to irrigate the soil. You might like to read Matts plants in Spain Part 1 Part 2 Part 3 PART 4 PART 5 - see free beer sticky.

Perhaps your best plan would be to travel through the country stopping for a few days, weeks, months before trying to decide where would suit you best?

I spent quite a while offshore. Which rigs were you on?

Last edited by missile; Feb 23rd 2009 at 9:04 am.
Old Feb 23rd 2009, 5:13 pm
Banned

Diane1967x has a spectacular aura aboutDiane1967x has a spectacular aura aboutDiane1967x has a spectacular aura about
Default Re: Where to live in spain

Originally Posted by juandan
The weather is a big factor for me, I love the sun, I like walking, fishing, I like to be outdoors, the winter here in the uk makes me depressed (gray sky's)
I can speak a little spanish I used to work offshore on the rigs, (Welder) some of the catering crew were spanish speakers, and I used to practice my spanish with them,
Hello
We love Spain too. I think where ever you live there will be good and bad points. We enjoy the Valencia area/Costa La Safor. It still has the seasons, has lovely orange groves, easy to get to by both airports and has nice little villages scattered a few minutes in land.
we did alot of research before we moved, and visited alot of places.
Good luck on your adventure. Life's for living!
Best wishes
Old Feb 23rd 2009, 6:11 pm
Just Joined

Thanks for all the good advice, But where do I start?,

I spent quite a while offshore. Which rigs were you on?

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Last edited by missile : Today at 10:04 am.

I was a contract welder working for lobec and ark offshore, we worked on allot of rigs mostly for neddrill now taken over by Noble, Rowan, Ensco, Global, Dolphin drilling, I worked on derrick barges in the 70s-80s- DB 22,
I'm now 61 and don't want to see another rig again or do any welding
Old Feb 23rd 2009, 7:15 pm
Started off with nothing

missile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond repute

I know those, but never worked on them. Spent most of my time in the UK on fixed installations, Oxy, BP, Shell, NAM plus I worked for Deutag for a while.