Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

when we move to Spain?

when we move to Spain?

Old Nov 24th 2011, 9:36 pm
Just Joined

AnneS is an unknown quantity at this point
Default when we move to Spain?

Hello everyone - my husband and I are in our early 40's and have had a dream for some time to one day buy a property in Spain. Probably not to live full time, but to come out several times a year, perhaps spending in total 3-4 months of the year there. We will not need to work while in Spain. We are looking to do this in 6-7 years time.

We would be looking around the Denia area, and I trawl periodically through estate agency websites. I was under the illusion that the housing market was depressed, but good grief, not from what I can see! Pleasant, but not overly exciting villas 400-500K + - yikes! Is it just that the Denia region is extra expensive? I don't want to post a link as I don't want to rubbish other people's properties... but I just can't get over the prices. Maybe someone could shed some light for me. Will I not be able to find a nice, small villa with some outside space for under 300K? Our requirements aren't too demanding, maybe I am deluded?!

For those of you who have purchased in Spain, any regrets? Am I crazy to want to buy a house in Spain? Six years is a little way off I know, but I want to start my research. Maybe we'd be better off renting, but my husband is keen to buy. He's the sort that needs to have something to do, and having his own house to look after would keep him occupied if we're out there for more than a week at a time. Just throwing some questions up into the air - any feedback is appreciated.
Old Nov 24th 2011, 9:45 pm

Rosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: when we move to Spain?

As Concierges for the Spanish section of BE we would like to say hello and welcome.

BE is a very large expat website, so if you have problems finding your way around we have concierges who will try to direct you. The moderators for the Spanish forums are Mitzyboy and Fred James, moderators are there to ensure that the site runs smoothly within the rules of BE. Problems and complaints should always be addressed to a moderador who will look into the matter and deal with it efficiently and fairly. Our members who post in the Spain Forums are friendly and helpful with a wealth of knowledge of the issues of living in Spain. At the top of the page you will find a quirkily named thread called Free Beer which is full of important and useful information. Hope you enjoy your time participating in the forums.

Please let us know if you need any further help.

Rosemary and Graham
Old Nov 24th 2011, 10:20 pm
¿Dónde estoy?

lynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by AnneS
Hello everyone - my husband and I are in our early 40's and have had a dream for some time to one day buy a property in Spain. Probably not to live full time, but to come out several times a year, perhaps spending in total 3-4 months of the year there. We will not need to work while in Spain. We are looking to do this in 6-7 years time.

We would be looking around the Denia area, and I trawl periodically through estate agency websites. I was under the illusion that the housing market was depressed, but good grief, not from what I can see! Pleasant, but not overly exciting villas 400-500K + - yikes! Is it just that the Denia region is extra expensive? I don't want to post a link as I don't want to rubbish other people's properties... but I just can't get over the prices. Maybe someone could shed some light for me. Will I not be able to find a nice, small villa with some outside space for under 300K? Our requirements aren't too demanding, maybe I am deluded?!

For those of you who have purchased in Spain, any regrets? Am I crazy to want to buy a house in Spain? Six years is a little way off I know, but I want to start my research. Maybe we'd be better off renting, but my husband is keen to buy. He's the sort that needs to have something to do, and having his own house to look after would keep him occupied if we're out there for more than a week at a time. Just throwing some questions up into the air - any feedback is appreciated.
yes, Denia (& Javea) is an expensive area, but you should be able to get what you're looking for

this company is run by a friend of mine, and has quite a few under 300K in Denia & Javea & various other towns in the area

http://www.javea-estates.com/

they do rentals too
Old Nov 24th 2011, 10:26 pm
Forum Regular

scolly52 is a name known to allscolly52 is a name known to allscolly52 is a name known to allscolly52 is a name known to allscolly52 is a name known to allscolly52 is a name known to allscolly52 is a name known to allscolly52 is a name known to allscolly52 is a name known to allscolly52 is a name known to allscolly52 is a name known to all

Sounds like you have your heads screwed on. Now doubt you will get the standard few 'Don't do it spain is rubbish' responses, But providing you can get a decent Local lawyer and avoid the ex pat cowboys the is no reason why you shouldn't have a happy experience in a fantastic country.
Old Nov 24th 2011, 10:32 pm

Rosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by scolly52
Sounds like you have your heads screwed on. Now doubt you will get the standard few 'Don't do it spain is rubbish' responses, But providing you can get a decent Local lawyer and avoid the ex pat cowboys the is no reason why you shouldn't have a happy experience in a fantastic country.
You will not get a bad reaction like that from me either, never regretted buying our house. Agree about making sure that you get a good lawyer and not using cowboys, in fact ask neighbours for recommendations.

The more research you do about everything will be an advantage to you. At least you have given yourselved plenty of time to look around, find out details about an area, research thoroughly and then make the all important decision.

Good luck and enjoy your fact finding.

Rosemary
Old Nov 24th 2011, 11:18 pm
Dxf
BE Forum Addict

Dxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond repute

Hi and welcome to the forum,

It is never to early to start your research nor to start learning Spanish, both are VERY important. In my opinion, the market probably won´t change in the next ten years so just keep saving the money, and reading posts on this and other similar forums so you can get a feel for how things are going

Oooh and Good Luck

Davexf
Old Nov 24th 2011, 11:44 pm
BE Forum Addict

megmet has a reputation beyond reputemegmet has a reputation beyond reputemegmet has a reputation beyond reputemegmet has a reputation beyond reputemegmet has a reputation beyond reputemegmet has a reputation beyond reputemegmet has a reputation beyond reputemegmet has a reputation beyond reputemegmet has a reputation beyond reputemegmet has a reputation beyond reputemegmet has a reputation beyond repute

We would be looking around the Denia area, and I trawl periodically through estate agency websites. I was under the illusion that the housing market was depressed, but good grief, not from what I can see!

For those of you who have purchased in Spain, any regrets? Am I crazy to want to buy a house in Spain? Six years is a little way off I know, but I want to start my research. .
I can't say about Denia, but not all housing in all areas are depressed.
In my area of the Guadalhorce valley the market is still strong, the prices are tending to fall more on the coast, especially in areas where large numbers of expats are wanting to sell to go back to the UK.

We have never for even a moment regretted buying here in Spain, but like you we spent years looking for the right place to buy, we found it and we are very happy here!

Don't just look at the housing though, forward thinking is the answer, consider what if....
What if you do move here permanently, what is the transport situation like when the day comes when you can no longer drive, how easy or difficult will it be just to get your shopping?
Will you be able to manage that garden or pool, and if you are not fluent in the language will you be able to get help if your health fails?

Research the "what if" as much as you can, get those right and your eventual purchase/move will be the best thing you ever did....get is wrong and it could be the most expensive mistake you ever make.

Good luck with it, the six years will go in a flash and I'm sure you will find what you are looking for!
Old Nov 25th 2011, 12:11 am
jdr
RETIRED ;-))

jdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond repute

A million things could happen in six years, when I think about the changes in Spain in the last six years it is staggering.
It will give you plenty of time to learn the language etc though. :sunglasses:
Old Nov 25th 2011, 4:19 am
Popping in for a chat

Lionda has a reputation beyond reputeLionda has a reputation beyond reputeLionda has a reputation beyond reputeLionda has a reputation beyond reputeLionda has a reputation beyond reputeLionda has a reputation beyond reputeLionda has a reputation beyond reputeLionda has a reputation beyond reputeLionda has a reputation beyond reputeLionda has a reputation beyond reputeLionda has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lynnxa
yes, Denia (& Javea) is an expensive area, but you should be able to get what you're looking for

this company is run by a friend of mine, and has quite a few under 300K in Denia & Javea & various other towns in the area

http://www.javea-estates.com/

they do rentals too
Worth taking a look at this site, if they are friends of Lynnxa you are on the right track :sunglasses:

Originally Posted by jdr
A million things could happen in six years, when I think about the changes in Spain in the last six years it is staggering.
It will give you plenty of time to learn the language etc though. :sunglasses:
Agreed .. if you haven't already started then make inroads to learning the language, it will make everything a lot easier for you. We had lots of laughs speaking Spanish particularly with similar sounding words with totally different meanings
Old Nov 25th 2011, 5:15 am
Forum Regular

Tolly has a spectacular aura aboutTolly has a spectacular aura aboutTolly has a spectacular aura about

We had lots of laughs speaking Spanish particularly with similar sounding words with totally different meanings
LOL - i have got into so much trouble with that one - at least most of the time it has made them laugh, on occasion, i have had to get a Spanish friend to explain what i meant to say!!
Old Nov 25th 2011, 6:46 am
Popping in for a chat

Lionda has a reputation beyond reputeLionda has a reputation beyond reputeLionda has a reputation beyond reputeLionda has a reputation beyond reputeLionda has a reputation beyond reputeLionda has a reputation beyond reputeLionda has a reputation beyond reputeLionda has a reputation beyond reputeLionda has a reputation beyond reputeLionda has a reputation beyond reputeLionda has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Tolly
LOL - i have got into so much trouble with that one - at least most of the time it has made them laugh, on occasion, i have had to get a Spanish friend to explain what i meant to say!!
Just don't ever ask for chicken unless you are proficient in the language
Old Nov 25th 2011, 9:54 am
BE Forum Addict

megmet has a reputation beyond reputemegmet has a reputation beyond reputemegmet has a reputation beyond reputemegmet has a reputation beyond reputemegmet has a reputation beyond reputemegmet has a reputation beyond reputemegmet has a reputation beyond reputemegmet has a reputation beyond reputemegmet has a reputation beyond reputemegmet has a reputation beyond reputemegmet has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Lionda
Worse still.....don't EVER ask where it is, as I once did.
Old Nov 25th 2011, 5:16 pm
¿Dónde estoy?

lynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by megmet
& be careful where you ask them to put your ice cream
Old Nov 25th 2011, 5:55 pm
jdr
RETIRED ;-))

jdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Lionda
Originally Posted by megmet
Originally Posted by lynnxa
& be careful where you ask them to put your ice cream
Started the day with a good laugh.
The site is almost back to how it used to be.
Old Nov 28th 2011, 5:38 am
Banned

amideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond repute

Only regret is not realising how corrupt things are here. Reset your thinking to include dealing with those who aspire to profit from your dream purchase. Ongoing battles will include brain-dead morons at the utility companies set on profiting as much as possible from your "foreigner" naivity. Don't believe what they tell you. Find a local whom you can trust, who knows how the system works. Invaluable. Will save you €1000's.

Check everything about the property you want to buy. Check the "official" status of the property with the local council (don't take anybody's word for it - get it from the local ajuntamento). If you don't, then don't be surprised to later hear something like "oh, you need water? and electricity too? That's going to be expensive".

Lastly, become fluent in the local language. It's really your best defence.

Last edited by amideislas; Nov 28th 2011 at 5:43 am.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.