Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

When times are tough the tough stop spending.

Old Sep 24th 2010, 11:35 am
BE Forum Addict

angiescarr has a reputation beyond reputeangiescarr has a reputation beyond reputeangiescarr has a reputation beyond reputeangiescarr has a reputation beyond reputeangiescarr has a reputation beyond reputeangiescarr has a reputation beyond reputeangiescarr has a reputation beyond reputeangiescarr has a reputation beyond reputeangiescarr has a reputation beyond reputeangiescarr has a reputation beyond reputeangiescarr has a reputation beyond repute
Default When times are tough the tough stop spending.

I started reading the 'Are times still tough thread'...but It got faaar too long and off subject.
My husband and I were some of the posters on the threads about financial troubles and moving back. We've made our decision. Moving back is not an option. For all the reasons many of the regular posters state about life being even more expensive in England. And because it still remains easier to be poor and happy in Spain.
I've just finished reading 'the moneyless man' having realised the only way to sort out our problems is to pay as many debts as we can as quickly as we can., and spend as little on day to day life as possible. This book is very affirming. I've just stopped spending... I mean completely stopped buying anything I don't really need. Or anything I can make myself. My store cupboard is beginning to get used. (I used to have masses and masses of dried pulses and beans...for no good reason, except they looked interesting in the shop. Now I'm using them up. And I have literally months worth of store cupboard food. I've started really using the neighbour network and swapping veg etc. I also started using Freecycle again, having only used it to give away stuff before. I asked on the very quiet Seville freecycle group for a stove, not expecting any answers. A guy around 40 minutes from us has already offered us a shepherd stove. The next day I got a reply from another local couple who have an almost moneyless existence. Reading their website[ http://asimplerlife.yolasite.com/] was also revelatory, though I wouldn't go so far as pooing in a bucket! Well. Cutting a long story short. Times are tough. But taking on a war mentality (the good side) really helps. You don't have to be a crusty traveller to take on some of these ideas, and if it's that or lose our beautiful home here. No contest!
Yes, my husband is now looking for a job elsewhere in Europe. Which, when he gets one we'll see as our next big adventure. But wherever he goes we're leaving our 'home' here.
Viva Espana.
Old Sep 24th 2010, 12:09 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

cricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: When times are tough the tough stop spending.

Good on you, thats the attitude!
Old Sep 24th 2010, 12:34 pm
Jur

Jur is an unknown quantity at this point

Hello Angie, is there a website for the Freecycle group in Seville ?

NeVer mind, got it: http://www.freecycle.org/group/ES/
Old Sep 24th 2010, 3:11 pm
Banned

JLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by angiescarr
I started reading the 'Are times still tough thread'...but It got faaar too long and off subject.
My husband and I were some of the posters on the threads about financial troubles and moving back. We've made our decision. Moving back is not an option. For all the reasons many of the regular posters state about life being even more expensive in England. And because it still remains easier to be poor and happy in Spain.
I've just finished reading 'the moneyless man' having realised the only way to sort out our problems is to pay as many debts as we can as quickly as we can., and spend as little on day to day life as possible. This book is very affirming. I've just stopped spending... I mean completely stopped buying anything I don't really need. Or anything I can make myself. My store cupboard is beginning to get used. (I used to have masses and masses of dried pulses and beans...for no good reason, except they looked interesting in the shop. Now I'm using them up. And I have literally months worth of store cupboard food. I've started really using the neighbour network and swapping veg etc. I also started using Freecycle again, having only used it to give away stuff before. I asked on the very quiet Seville freecycle group for a stove, not expecting any answers. A guy around 40 minutes from us has already offered us a shepherd stove. The next day I got a reply from another local couple who have an almost moneyless existence. Reading their website[ http://asimplerlife.yolasite.com/] was also revelatory, though I wouldn't go so far as pooing in a bucket! Well. Cutting a long story short. Times are tough. But taking on a war mentality (the good side) really helps. You don't have to be a crusty traveller to take on some of these ideas, and if it's that or lose our beautiful home here. No contest!
Yes, my husband is now looking for a job elsewhere in Europe. Which, when he gets one we'll see as our next big adventure. But wherever he goes we're leaving our 'home' here.
Viva Espana.

I like your style, the wartime spirit, and as for not pooing in a bucket, I appalud your descision..

There is an article in one of the free papers, it might be of some use to you.

http://www.roundtownnews.co.uk/index...5356&Itemid=38

And taliking about wartime sprit, here is a version of a wartime "keep your pecker up" song, just to put a spring in your step.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dzY0-I4Gq5w

Good luck.
Old Sep 24th 2010, 3:16 pm
Banned

jackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond repute

Don't like wasting anything but..a moneyless existence I can't do poverty
Old Sep 24th 2010, 3:21 pm
Banned

JLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jackytoo
Don't like wasting anything but..a moneyless existence I can't do poverty
We would never have guessed
Old Sep 24th 2010, 5:10 pm
BE Enthusiast

elspeth sinclair has much to be proud ofelspeth sinclair has much to be proud ofelspeth sinclair has much to be proud ofelspeth sinclair has much to be proud ofelspeth sinclair has much to be proud ofelspeth sinclair has much to be proud ofelspeth sinclair has much to be proud ofelspeth sinclair has much to be proud ofelspeth sinclair has much to be proud ofelspeth sinclair has much to be proud ofelspeth sinclair has much to be proud of

I have no car, only Spanish television, borrow books and dvds from the library, Buy my clothes from rastros, grow my own veg, keep hens and only buy Mercadona's own brand products. Enjoy cooking and baking and can make a meal out of anything. But then I remember what it was like to be really poor and starving with my first husband ,a graduate, and two young children and so will never allow myself to be poor again.
Old Sep 25th 2010, 7:11 am
BE Forum Addict

angiescarr has a reputation beyond reputeangiescarr has a reputation beyond reputeangiescarr has a reputation beyond reputeangiescarr has a reputation beyond reputeangiescarr has a reputation beyond reputeangiescarr has a reputation beyond reputeangiescarr has a reputation beyond reputeangiescarr has a reputation beyond reputeangiescarr has a reputation beyond reputeangiescarr has a reputation beyond reputeangiescarr has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by elspeth sinclair
I have no car, only Spanish television, borrow books and dvds from the library, Buy my clothes from rastros, grow my own veg, keep hens and only buy Mercadona's own brand products. Enjoy cooking and baking and can make a meal out of anything. But then I remember what it was like to be really poor and starving with my first husband ,a graduate, and two young children and so will never allow myself to be poor again.
Someone in the village told me there's a Rastro in Seville. Does anyone know where and when?
Old Sep 25th 2010, 7:42 am
Grapes are good 4 U !

GrapeEater has much to be proud ofGrapeEater has much to be proud ofGrapeEater has much to be proud ofGrapeEater has much to be proud ofGrapeEater has much to be proud ofGrapeEater has much to be proud ofGrapeEater has much to be proud ofGrapeEater has much to be proud ofGrapeEater has much to be proud ofGrapeEater has much to be proud ofGrapeEater has much to be proud of

Well done Angie... great attitude, and one we should all adopt in my opinion.
Yes, we all got too complacent, lazy and greedy - and boy have we now got our com-uppence !!

Things are gonna be tough for a few more years yet I fear so get real, get creative !!
Old Sep 25th 2010, 7:50 am
Not Banned (yet)

steviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond repute

This is why we have Recessions/Depressions. People stop spending. It's also why house prices will continue to fall. Why buy a house now when you can get it 20,000 cheaper next year?
Governments (especially in the UK and US) are trying to stop this by QE and low interest rates. The problem with this is that as soon as the economy starts strong growth again, you get hyper-inflation.

http://www.lewrockwell.com/orig10/ev...itchard32.html
Old Sep 25th 2010, 8:01 am
BE Enthusiast

elspeth sinclair has much to be proud ofelspeth sinclair has much to be proud ofelspeth sinclair has much to be proud ofelspeth sinclair has much to be proud ofelspeth sinclair has much to be proud ofelspeth sinclair has much to be proud ofelspeth sinclair has much to be proud ofelspeth sinclair has much to be proud ofelspeth sinclair has much to be proud ofelspeth sinclair has much to be proud ofelspeth sinclair has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by steviedeluxe
This is why we have Recessions/Depressions. People stop spending. It's also why house prices will continue to fall. Why buy a house now when you can get it 20,000 cheaper next year?
Governments (especially in the UK and US) are trying to stop this by QE and low interest rates. The problem with this is that as soon as the economy starts strong growth again, you get hyper-inflation.

http://www.lewrockwell.com/orig10/ev...itchard32.html
we are lucky to be able to choose whether we spend or not there are millions out there who have nothing to spend and I don't blame them, for causing recessions. There are seriously rich out there buying everything at knock down prices and I don't think they are doing that to help anyone but themselves.
Old Sep 26th 2010, 6:34 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Jur
Hello Angie, is there a website for the Freecycle group in Seville ?

NeVer mind, got it: http://www.freecycle.org/group/ES/
Ha Ha . Freecycle isn't just a place to get Free Bicycles!
Old Sep 26th 2010, 7:49 am
Jur

Ha Ha . Freecycle isn't just a place to get Free Bicycles!
Hey! Don't mock a newbie straightaway! I just put something on offer and there's more to come!

I think it's a great project and hope that more people will join.
Old Sep 26th 2010, 7:50 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Jur
Hey! Don't mock a newbie straightaway! I just put something on offer and there's more to come!

I think it's a great project and hope that more people will join.
Sorry Jur. Couldn't resist;-)
Old Sep 26th 2010, 7:53 am
Jur

Sorry Jur. Couldn't resist;-)
No worries, it's been a while since someone had a go at me!

I've also joined the Faro group because we live so close to the border. Wouldn't it be good to have a group in Huelva as well?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.