Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

What's the WORST type of expat you've encountered in Spain?

What's the WORST type of expat you've encountered in Spain?

Old Nov 25th 2012, 5:44 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Lynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: What's the WORST type of expat you've encountered in Spain?

Originally Posted by Pocaloca
I met some Swedish people last night, they are retired and spend the winters down here. They said they never bothered learning Spanish because everyone speaks English!
Our new Swedish part-time neighbours have already said they intend learning Spanish - the wife was really embarrassed when the lady who lives opposite them was chattering away to her in Spanish and she couldn't understand a word. "Tell her I'm sorry and I will learn", she said. I think we're going to get on fine!

(Btw, re the earlier thread, they did buy their new furniture from IKEA. When they opened the door and I saw their new sofa I could barely keep from laughing, remembering that! I just said it was very nice, though, didn't ask where it came from.)
Old Nov 25th 2012, 8:43 pm
BE Enthusiast

Rambling Rose is a glorious beacon of lightRambling Rose is a glorious beacon of lightRambling Rose is a glorious beacon of lightRambling Rose is a glorious beacon of lightRambling Rose is a glorious beacon of lightRambling Rose is a glorious beacon of lightRambling Rose is a glorious beacon of lightRambling Rose is a glorious beacon of lightRambling Rose is a glorious beacon of lightRambling Rose is a glorious beacon of lightRambling Rose is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by DENISE WALTERS
Yes I have experienced this as well, the locals in our village have not got a lot of patience when I mis pronounce a word.
It does take your confidence away and then your nervous to even try .
Most ex pats in our village dont bother to learn spanish and keep in ( hablamos ingles?) situations and expect the spanish people to understand english.
But perhaps they have tried and have felt bad when they were wrong and it put them off.
Thats such a shame. The only people I've encountered who have no patience with my attempts at spanish are the 'customer services' staff on the phone at the Telefonica technical callcentre. I'm pretty sure they just can't be bothered and deliberately pretend not to understand me.
In some ways I've been very lucky as here in Catalonia, spanish is now the second language after catalan, so the locals speak it quite slowly which makes it easier to follow.
Our neighbour who is in his 70's and so grew up when Franco had catalan banned, is a great help but has to be encouraged to correct me. He's now trying to learn english so we have a deal - half and half and I try to correct his english in return for help with my spanish. He's determined that when he looks after his grandchildren he's the 'baby sister' - I've tried explaining its 'sitter' but he just can't get it. Obviously thinks its the youngest girls job to look after the children not sit on them.
At my age I've realised I'll never be fluent and I shouldn't try to make life complicated by saying things as I would say them in english. Just using the vocab I'm sure of. A couple of G & T's usually makes me more fluent. I think its the loss of inhibition.
Old Nov 25th 2012, 9:48 pm

Rosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Rambling Rose
Thats such a shame. The only people I've encountered who have no patience with my attempts at spanish are the 'customer services' staff on the phone at the Telefonica technical callcentre. I'm pretty sure they just can't be bothered and deliberately pretend not to understand me.
In some ways I've been very lucky as here in Catalonia, spanish is now the second language after catalan, so the locals speak it quite slowly which makes it easier to follow.
Our neighbour who is in his 70's and so grew up when Franco had catalan banned, is a great help but has to be encouraged to correct me. He's now trying to learn english so we have a deal - half and half and I try to correct his english in return for help with my spanish. He's determined that when he looks after his grandchildren he's the 'baby sister' - I've tried explaining its 'sitter' but he just can't get it. Obviously thinks its the youngest girls job to look after the children not sit on them.
At my age I've realised I'll never be fluent and I shouldn't try to make life complicated by saying things as I would say them in english. Just using the vocab I'm sure of. A couple of G & T's usually makes me more fluent. I think its the loss of inhibition.
I am gradually learning to do things the easier way and that helps a lot. I cannot remember (old age) what I was trying to find the words for regarding a picture in my last lesson but the teacher stopped me and said to think of helping a child to say it the easy way and it was a doddle in comparisson to the torturous route that I had gone down.

Rosemary
Old Nov 26th 2012, 1:22 am
BE Enthusiast

Rambling Rose is a glorious beacon of lightRambling Rose is a glorious beacon of lightRambling Rose is a glorious beacon of lightRambling Rose is a glorious beacon of lightRambling Rose is a glorious beacon of lightRambling Rose is a glorious beacon of lightRambling Rose is a glorious beacon of lightRambling Rose is a glorious beacon of lightRambling Rose is a glorious beacon of lightRambling Rose is a glorious beacon of lightRambling Rose is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by Rosemary
I am gradually learning to do things the easier way and that helps a lot. I cannot remember (old age) what I was trying to find the words for regarding a picture in my last lesson but the teacher stopped me and said to think of helping a child to say it the easy way and it was a doddle in comparisson to the torturous route that I had gone down.

Rosemary
That's a very good way of looking at it. Funnily enough when our neighbours have their grandchildren to visit and they are playing in the garden I can usually follow the whole conversation from my side of the fence. It quite perks me up.
Old Nov 26th 2012, 1:25 am
BE Enthusiast

DENISE WALTERS has much to be proud ofDENISE WALTERS has much to be proud ofDENISE WALTERS has much to be proud ofDENISE WALTERS has much to be proud ofDENISE WALTERS has much to be proud ofDENISE WALTERS has much to be proud ofDENISE WALTERS has much to be proud ofDENISE WALTERS has much to be proud ofDENISE WALTERS has much to be proud ofDENISE WALTERS has much to be proud ofDENISE WALTERS has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Rambling Rose
Hey Maybe I should try a few vino tintos before I try to speak. I agree with Rosemary I have slow recall and although I know what to say hesitate then the opportunity is lost.
I need a bit of a shake up in my brain.
I do put it down to being mas mayor