Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

What's the worst thing you've eaten by accident?

What's the worst thing you've eaten by accident?

Old Dec 28th 2008, 4:08 am
BE Enthusiast

dunmovin is a name known to alldunmovin is a name known to alldunmovin is a name known to alldunmovin is a name known to alldunmovin is a name known to alldunmovin is a name known to alldunmovin is a name known to alldunmovin is a name known to alldunmovin is a name known to alldunmovin is a name known to alldunmovin is a name known to all
Default Re: What's the worst thing you've eaten by accident?

Originally Posted by DebsyW
They sold fried sparrows on sticks (with feathers) in the food markets in Thailand. We didnt partake. Im sure I ate dogs bollocks in a soup though. I never did find out what they were but I keep telling myself that they were prawn balls.
Must have been one Helluva size of prawn
Old Dec 28th 2008, 10:15 am
Just Joined

Quiterio is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Bri and Katee
...in a harbourside taverna on the greek island of Aegina, I had served up sea anemone, not wanting to lose face I attempted to spoon in the living mollusc, it can only be described as mucus covered nasal snot. It stayed in my mouth for about 10 seconds before it came back up! Yet the Greeks love it as an aphrodisiac.
You don't have to be in Greece to be given sea anemone. We ordered ortiguillas in El Puerto de Santa Maria out of curiosity. What came was deep fried in batter and tasted like fishy mushrooms. Won't do it again!

Couldn't even find them in the dictionary - had to Google 'ortiguillas' to find out what they were.
Old Dec 28th 2008, 11:43 am
Forum Regular

bob_day has a reputation beyond reputebob_day has a reputation beyond reputebob_day has a reputation beyond reputebob_day has a reputation beyond reputebob_day has a reputation beyond reputebob_day has a reputation beyond reputebob_day has a reputation beyond reputebob_day has a reputation beyond reputebob_day has a reputation beyond reputebob_day has a reputation beyond reputebob_day has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sidneee and kinnyboy
The second worst was trying durian fruit. I was told it was a wonderful taste, it smelled like a dead horse that had the sense to die several week previously and tasted like someone had mixed onions and ice cream, with the texture of candle wax
Mmmm! Can i have that on toast please? [/QUOTE]

Had Durian in Singapore and loved it. A little pungent maybe :-)

They smell so bad that it is apparently illegal to take durian on the underground.
Old Dec 28th 2008, 12:12 pm
BE Enthusiast

dunmovin is a name known to alldunmovin is a name known to alldunmovin is a name known to alldunmovin is a name known to alldunmovin is a name known to alldunmovin is a name known to alldunmovin is a name known to alldunmovin is a name known to alldunmovin is a name known to alldunmovin is a name known to alldunmovin is a name known to all

Originally Posted by bob_day
Mmmm! Can i have that on toast please?
Had Durian in Singapore and loved it. A little pungent maybe :-)

They smell so bad that it is apparently illegal to take durian on the underground.[/QUOTE]

in Hong Kong you can't take them into hotels, taxis can refuse to take you, and its banned on the MTR and buses
Old Dec 28th 2008, 1:53 pm
Drunken Monkey

Fuzzlepop has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzlepop has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzlepop has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzlepop has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzlepop has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzlepop has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzlepop has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzlepop has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzlepop has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzlepop has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzlepop has a reputation beyond repute

They sold fried sparrows on sticks (with feathers) in the food markets in Thailand. We didnt partake. Im sure I ate dogs bollocks in a soup though. I never did find out what they were but I keep telling myself that they were prawn balls.
Did they taste meaty or fishy?
Old Dec 28th 2008, 4:22 pm
BE Enthusiast

featherbum has a reputation beyond reputefeatherbum has a reputation beyond reputefeatherbum has a reputation beyond reputefeatherbum has a reputation beyond reputefeatherbum has a reputation beyond reputefeatherbum has a reputation beyond reputefeatherbum has a reputation beyond reputefeatherbum has a reputation beyond reputefeatherbum has a reputation beyond reputefeatherbum has a reputation beyond reputefeatherbum has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Fuzzlepop
good question!
Old Dec 28th 2008, 5:09 pm
Forum Regular

sidneee and kinnyboy is just really nicesidneee and kinnyboy is just really nicesidneee and kinnyboy is just really nicesidneee and kinnyboy is just really nicesidneee and kinnyboy is just really nicesidneee and kinnyboy is just really nicesidneee and kinnyboy is just really nicesidneee and kinnyboy is just really nicesidneee and kinnyboy is just really nicesidneee and kinnyboy is just really nicesidneee and kinnyboy is just really nice

Definitely something fishy if it smells that bad as i have never got a whiff from meat that is that bad and i have been a veggie for 21 years (but please lets not go down that passage - pretty please!!!!)
Old Dec 28th 2008, 6:59 pm
BE Forum Addict

DebsyW has a reputation beyond reputeDebsyW has a reputation beyond reputeDebsyW has a reputation beyond reputeDebsyW has a reputation beyond reputeDebsyW has a reputation beyond reputeDebsyW has a reputation beyond reputeDebsyW has a reputation beyond reputeDebsyW has a reputation beyond reputeDebsyW has a reputation beyond reputeDebsyW has a reputation beyond reputeDebsyW has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Fuzzlepop
Smelt fishy but tasted meaty. I`m best not knowing methinks. I managed to swallow.
Old Dec 28th 2008, 7:18 pm
BE Enthusiast

featherbum has a reputation beyond reputefeatherbum has a reputation beyond reputefeatherbum has a reputation beyond reputefeatherbum has a reputation beyond reputefeatherbum has a reputation beyond reputefeatherbum has a reputation beyond reputefeatherbum has a reputation beyond reputefeatherbum has a reputation beyond reputefeatherbum has a reputation beyond reputefeatherbum has a reputation beyond reputefeatherbum has a reputation beyond repute

i had a close encounter with the above mentioned chicken feet (these were just there, full size, floating about) and they were served with rice, which had this suspicious sauce with it... GOD! i am feeling sick just remembering it.. the sauce was made with the chicken's blood, HOW SICKENING CAN YOU GET. i need a shuddering smiley here. GROSS.
Old Dec 28th 2008, 7:55 pm
BE Forum Addict

DebsyW has a reputation beyond reputeDebsyW has a reputation beyond reputeDebsyW has a reputation beyond reputeDebsyW has a reputation beyond reputeDebsyW has a reputation beyond reputeDebsyW has a reputation beyond reputeDebsyW has a reputation beyond reputeDebsyW has a reputation beyond reputeDebsyW has a reputation beyond reputeDebsyW has a reputation beyond reputeDebsyW has a reputation beyond repute
Thumbs up Re: What's the worst thing you've eaten by accident?

Originally Posted by featherbum
i had a close encounter with the above mentioned chicken feet (these were just there, full size, floating about) and they were served with rice, which had this suspicious sauce with it... GOD! i am feeling sick just remembering it.. the sauce was made with the chicken's blood, HOW SICKENING CAN YOU GET. i need a shuddering smiley here. GROSS.
Sounds awful!!

We went to one restaurant that had `toad on a bed of fried rice` - I wanted my OH to order it to see what it was like but he wouldn`t. Wimp. I know that the toad would have been in strips like with chicken but I couldn`t get the thought of a big, fat, green toad sitting on a plate of rice!
Old Dec 28th 2008, 8:05 pm
Forum Regular

encodeme has a brilliant futureencodeme has a brilliant futureencodeme has a brilliant futureencodeme has a brilliant futureencodeme has a brilliant futureencodeme has a brilliant future

Sounds awful!!

We went to one restaurant that had `toad on a bed of fried rice` - I wanted my OH to order it to see what it was like but he wouldn`t. Wimp. I know that the toad would have been in strips like with chicken but I couldn`t get the thought of a big, fat, green toad sitting on a plate of rice!
Are you sure they weren't testing the Brits out?
Normally i've had toad/frogs looking like chicken..perhaps the cook had gone home?
Old Dec 28th 2008, 8:23 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by encodeme
Are you sure they weren't testing the Brits out?
Normally i've had toad/frogs looking like chicken..perhaps the cook had gone home?

I meant strips of toad meat. It was in Malaysia - they may well have been testing the tourists but we weren`t gonna try !!
Old Dec 28th 2008, 8:29 pm
Forum Regular

encodeme has a brilliant futureencodeme has a brilliant futureencodeme has a brilliant futureencodeme has a brilliant futureencodeme has a brilliant futureencodeme has a brilliant future

I meant strips of toad meat. It was in Malaysia - they may well have been testing the tourists but we weren`t gonna try !!
Ok, I'm happy now.. as long as it wasn't just cooked and sitting on a bed of rice watching the world go by.....
Old Dec 28th 2008, 8:31 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by encodeme
Ok, I'm happy now.. as long as it wasn't just cooked and sitting on a bed of rice watching the world go by.....
That`s exactly as I pictured it... with bulging eyes!!
Old Dec 29th 2008, 1:13 am

poshnbucks has disabled reputation

If it tasted really really good debs, Then you could say " It was the dogs bollocks"

Last edited by poshnbucks; Dec 29th 2008 at 1:32 am.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.