Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

What's the secret to great paella?

What's the secret to great paella?

Old May 8th 2010, 11:17 pm
On the road again.

Dick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: What's the secret to great paella?

Originally Posted by MsGiraffe
I am from Valencia - I make sure I have some whenever I visit back!
IMO, the best one is with meat, not the seafood (which works best with fideua) or the mixed (over-rated). Chicken, rabbit and, if you can, snails.
If possible, use a wood fire. Also make sure when you chuck in the rice it makes little raised paths within the broth.

It is very important to leave the rice to rest when it's cooked, for 5-10 minutes. You just leave it aside and cover the paella pan with newspaper. Don't know why, but it makes it tastier.

The socarrat (aka burnt bit) is the best : )

Enjoy!
So is the socarrat meant to be almost one big black burnt crispy piece or just small bits and pieces not burnt black, which seems to be the case when vast quantities of oil are used?
Excess oil seems to make it heavy and stodgy, although a lot also depends on the type of rice.
Prefer the crispy base myself.
Old May 8th 2010, 11:47 pm
BE Enthusiast

Relampago has a reputation beyond reputeRelampago has a reputation beyond reputeRelampago has a reputation beyond reputeRelampago has a reputation beyond reputeRelampago has a reputation beyond reputeRelampago has a reputation beyond reputeRelampago has a reputation beyond reputeRelampago has a reputation beyond reputeRelampago has a reputation beyond reputeRelampago has a reputation beyond reputeRelampago has a reputation beyond repute

On this web site tell a few secrets for the original paella from Valencia, such as using rice as Senia, Bahia or Bomba, but not long-grain rice, because absorb less broth and are not as tasty, or the fire, as traditionally do, to be possible with dead branches of " llimera " or orange tree, because said " because of its rapid combustion and its characteristic aroma, which contributed to the final taste better "

http://lolovera50.wordpress.com/2009...de-la-parreta/

Old May 11th 2010, 8:21 am
Forum Regular

MsGiraffe will become famous soon enough

Socarrat is NOT meant to be one huge black lump that tastes fully burnt, but smaller, crispy bites, that got stuck to the pan.
Yes to the right type of rice, etc.
The strangest variation I heard is from a friend who told me in their family they added a dash of whisky to the broth (!).
It is very important to remember to have a snack while you are cooking it, that's part of the tradition - in my childhood, olives, crisps, little bits of longaniza or chorizo, and a porron of wine for the grown ups : )
Old May 11th 2010, 8:28 am
Banned

JLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MsGiraffe
Socarrat is NOT meant to be one huge black lump that tastes fully burnt, but smaller, crispy bites, that got stuck to the pan.
Yes to the right type of rice, etc.
The strangest variation I heard is from a friend who told me in their family they added a dash of whisky to the broth (!).
It is very important to remember to have a snack while you are cooking it, that's part of the tradition - in my childhood, olives, crisps, little bits of longaniza or chorizo, and a porron of wine for the grown ups : )

Could you please explain that to my wife...........

Hers has the big black lump and the consistency of putty.
Old Sep 1st 2010, 11:57 am
BE Forum Addict

paintermujer has a reputation beyond reputepaintermujer has a reputation beyond reputepaintermujer has a reputation beyond reputepaintermujer has a reputation beyond reputepaintermujer has a reputation beyond reputepaintermujer has a reputation beyond reputepaintermujer has a reputation beyond reputepaintermujer has a reputation beyond reputepaintermujer has a reputation beyond reputepaintermujer has a reputation beyond reputepaintermujer has a reputation beyond repute

Im making my largest paella tomorrow for 8 people. Not a lot you may say but I have been used to making a 2 person one.

My question is how much rice should I use for each person plus a bit more?

In grams/kilos please.

Thanks.
Old Sep 1st 2010, 2:53 pm

Fred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by paintermujer
Im making my largest paella tomorrow for 8 people. Not a lot you may say but I have been used to making a 2 person one.

My question is how much rice should I use for each person plus a bit more?

In grams/kilos please.

Thanks.
You should allow no more than 100g per person - that will be plenty. 600g will be OK for 8 unless they are very hungry!

Use the Bomba rice from Mercadona - expensive but the best and use 2:1 stock to rice.

You will just about get that into a 43cm pan
Old Sep 1st 2010, 3:05 pm
BE Forum Addict

paintermujer has a reputation beyond reputepaintermujer has a reputation beyond reputepaintermujer has a reputation beyond reputepaintermujer has a reputation beyond reputepaintermujer has a reputation beyond reputepaintermujer has a reputation beyond reputepaintermujer has a reputation beyond reputepaintermujer has a reputation beyond reputepaintermujer has a reputation beyond reputepaintermujer has a reputation beyond reputepaintermujer has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Fred James
You should allow no more than 100g per person - that will be plenty. 600g will be OK for 8 unless they are very hungry!

Use the Bomba rice from Mercadona - expensive but the best and use 2:1 stock to rice.

You will just about get that into a 43cm pan
Thanks.Just the info I need.