Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

What's the secret to great paella?

What's the secret to great paella?

Old May 5th 2010, 1:35 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

cricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: What's the secret to great paella?

Originally Posted by woocus
Ok, sit back and relax, unashamedly the best you'll eat, and has won accolades from Argintinia, UK, New Zealand and Spain. Also, not confined to the boring original. Get a paella pan, a weber or outside wood fire, good friends and lots of drinking wine - no toffee nosed stuff. Feeds 6 - 10.
Keep your modesty hat nearby for when you serve. Drop some oil in your medium heated pan and fry off 2 chopped onions, a green and red chopped bell pepper, 3 - 4 chopped chorizo sausages, chilli flakes to suit your taste, about 15-20 cocktail sausages, and about 6 - 10 chicken drumsticks. (the drumsticks can be grilled on the open fire, season with salt, pepper and paprika)Set the done chicken and cocktail sausages aside. Into the pan drop 2-3 cups of rice, fry off quickly to absorb the oils, and then add about a pint of hot chicken or vegetable stock. Parcook the rice, stirring about now and then. About 7 mins from ready add 800gms of cubed white fish and a cup or two of frozen peas. Cover with the weber lid for 5 mins, then add calamari rings, 16 half shell mussels, about 16 prawns, a handful of black olives.Cover again for about three to 5 mins until prawns turn pink. (Place the prawns, olives and mussells decoratively about the dish). Add the chicken pieces like the spokes of a wheel and drop the cocktail sausages in between. Squeeze some lemon juice over and finish with a spray of mixed herbs. Set in the middle of the table and serve with a breakable bread and salad. Sit back and accept the compliments gracefully.
Thanks for posting the recipe, I'm sure it would taste very good.

However, I am hearing my Spanish OH already. "You cant put chorizo into a paella, the taste is too overpowering" and "dont mix seafood, fish and pork, everything will just taste of pork its a waste of good ingrediants" and "the stock should come from the whole chicken's carcus and the vegetables, dont cover up the taste of the good ingrediants with a packet of cheap stock".

So you haven't pasted a very Spanish recipe, but one to enjoy none the less

Oh and I dont think you can get coctail sausages in Spain? Maybe at a one of the British food stores
Old May 5th 2010, 2:35 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

agoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by cricketman

However, I am hearing my Spanish OH already. "You cant put chorizo into a paella, the taste is too overpowering" and "dont mix seafood, fish and pork, everything will just taste of pork its a waste of good ingrediants"
There are loads of recipes that contain chorizo (do a search for paella and chorizo) and many that mix seafood with meat. ¡Sobre gustos colores!
http://www.parati.com.ve/paella_mari...stas_y_arroces
Old May 5th 2010, 2:43 pm
Banned

JLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by agoreira
There are loads of recipes that contain chorizo (do a search for paella and chorizo) and many that mix seafood with meat. ¡Sobre gustos colores!
http://www.parati.com.ve/paella_mari...stas_y_arroces
My personal favourite palla is the mixture of meat and seafood, best of both worlds.

Also it must have some socarrat at the bottom.......Socarrat: see how Iam learning....
Old May 5th 2010, 2:53 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

agoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by JLFS
My personal favourite palla is the mixture of meat and seafood, best of both worlds.

Also it must have some socarrat at the bottom.......Socarrat: see how Iam learning....
I'm impressed! The socarrat is essential! Whenever I make paella it invariably has both fish and meat, and certainly chorizo!
Old May 5th 2010, 2:57 pm
Just Joined

campello is an unknown quantity at this point

Avoid the use of colourant in the food! The spanish love using Tartrazine in Paella to give it that deep yellow colour. Is should be done naturally with Saffron.

You see lots of tourists eating Paella that looks like part of dulux colour chart!!

http://www.ukfoodguide.net/e102.htm
Old May 5th 2010, 3:05 pm
Banned

JLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by agoreira
I'm impressed! The socarrat is essential! Whenever I make paella it invariably has both fish and meat, and certainly chorizo!
I had one (paella) the other week, snails and rabbit, tasty but I am still not convinced about the snails.

Talking about chorizo, I made a sandwich, with chorizo a la plancha (hot) with cheese, proper cheddar, with a beer fantastic.

As you can gather we are not purists in either Spanish or English food, mix it up and see what happens.

I also love a good brekkie of chorizo a la plancha, fried egg and grilled toms on a baguette.
Old May 5th 2010, 4:54 pm
Banned

jackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond repute

I can imagine that snails would be used a lot in the old days. At my friend's home her Mother would go out in the morning and collect a basket full of them. Their snail dish was just with fresh cooked tomatoes reduced to almost a puree..they tasted wonderful (not the snails, ugh!) I just used to pretend to suck them. They also killed their own rabbits which went in paella type dishes. The dead rabbit would be hung out on the washing line all day! They were quite well off too, think they were still used to the campo ways of their parents. I always used to lose weight after a stay at their house.
Old May 5th 2010, 5:06 pm
Banned

I love rhubarb and custard (like school day), a friend used to give us some but they got destroyed by snails.

They used to give us the rhubarb because they had never seen it or eaten it before.

When I thought about it, I dont think that I know anyone Spanish who even knows what it is, never mind eaten it. The translation is ruibarbo, and some have heard of the word but have no idea what it looks or tastes like.

From what I believe it is not easy to grow in southern Spain.
Old May 5th 2010, 5:20 pm

Fred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by cricketman
Oh and I dont think you can get cocktail sausages in Spain? Maybe at a one of the British food stores
Thank God for that!

You can put almost anything in a Paella (so long as you don't forget the rice) but "cocktail sausages" - I think not!

Incidentally, so far no one has mentioned one very important ingredient of a "authentic" Valencian paella - garrofones.

These are like English butter beans and are traditionally included.

You can buy frozen ones in Mercadonna.
Old May 5th 2010, 6:33 pm
Just Joined

Mark svq is an unknown quantity at this point

It's no secret! It is is fundamental for the chef to be a native from Valencia
Old May 5th 2010, 8:12 pm
On the road again.

Dick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Mark svq
It's no secret! It is is fundamental for the chef to be a native from Valencia
Living here in the heart of paella country I'm not quite so sure about that and I've had much better ones in other countries and also homemade.
I generally find them much too heavy here,like a ton of lead on the stomach,maybe down to the type of rice and excessive amounts of oil.
Agree with Fred,you can chuck just about anything in a paella,(even the odd stray cat, lol)..had a couple of pigeon ones recently over at my Spanish neighbours.
Old May 5th 2010, 9:14 pm
BE Enthusiast

ForHotspot is a name known to allForHotspot is a name known to allForHotspot is a name known to allForHotspot is a name known to allForHotspot is a name known to allForHotspot is a name known to allForHotspot is a name known to allForHotspot is a name known to allForHotspot is a name known to allForHotspot is a name known to allForHotspot is a name known to all

Originally Posted by campello
Avoid the use of colourant in the food! The spanish love using Tartrazine in Paella to give it that deep yellow colour. Is should be done naturally with Saffron.

You see lots of tourists eating Paella that looks like part of dulux colour chart!!

http://www.ukfoodguide.net/e102.htm
Don't they use tumeric powder to get the yellow colour?

What is socarrat?
I love paella esp the seafood. Had a few while I was there.
Old May 5th 2010, 9:38 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

It should be saffron that adds the yellow colour.
What is socarrat?
The burnt crusty bits stuck to the bottom of the pan, the paellera.
Old May 6th 2010, 6:05 am

Fred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ForHotspot
I hope not - it has too strong a flavour. It's OK for colouring rice for an Indian meal but not a Paella.
Old May 6th 2010, 6:16 am
Forum Regular

vauxhallmonterey has a reputation beyond reputevauxhallmonterey has a reputation beyond reputevauxhallmonterey has a reputation beyond reputevauxhallmonterey has a reputation beyond reputevauxhallmonterey has a reputation beyond reputevauxhallmonterey has a reputation beyond reputevauxhallmonterey has a reputation beyond reputevauxhallmonterey has a reputation beyond reputevauxhallmonterey has a reputation beyond reputevauxhallmonterey has a reputation beyond reputevauxhallmonterey has a reputation beyond repute

[QUOTE=jackytoo;8544178]That one sounds good, wouldn't like to have to buy and cook it though

Thats what the friends are for, one bunch brings the chicken, next the seafood, others the sausage, then the wine ......etc, etc. The cooking is actually minimal, its all in the final presentation.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.