Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

What's the reason behind Spanish retail success abroad?

What's the reason behind Spanish retail success abroad?

Old Nov 5th 2012, 12:24 pm
Not Banned (yet)

steviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond repute
Default What's the reason behind Spanish retail success abroad?

First there was Campers, then we had Zara helping to make its founder into one of the world's richest men.
Now we have Desigual - and reading the wiki entry, they aren't doing so bad either..
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Desigual
It achieved a 60% annual growth from 2002 to 2009, and a turnover of €250 million in 2009, €440 million in 2010 and €560 million in 2011. In 2011 it employed 3,000 people of 72 nationalities
What's their secret? We're told that short design-to-production times allow Zara to change their stock quickly, but surely this is something other retailers can find out how to do?
Have they just been lucky, or is there a hidden reason for their success?
Old Nov 5th 2012, 12:25 pm
Banned

amideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: What's the reason behind Spanish retail success abroad?

Originally Posted by steviedeluxe
First there was Campers, then we had Zara helping to make its founder into one of the world's richest men.
Now we have Desigual - and reading the wiki entry, they aren't doing so bad either..

What's their secret? We're told that short design-to-production times allow Zara to change their stock quickly, but surely this is something other retailers can find out how to do?
The keyword is abroad, but once you've opted to address a global audience, competent management is key.
Old Nov 5th 2012, 12:27 pm
Not Banned (yet)

steviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by amideislas
The keyword is abroad
Yet they started off successfully at home I believe?

Unless you're saying that's it's easy to make a success on the international market?
Old Nov 5th 2012, 12:28 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

cricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond repute

I am bemused at Desigual

The clothes are ugly, overpriced and completely unoriginal. I have no idea who would buy their clothes

The Spanish retail successes are staggering though
Old Nov 5th 2012, 12:30 pm
Not Banned (yet)

Originally Posted by cricketman
I am bemused at Desigual

The clothes are ugly, overpriced and completely unoriginal. I have no idea who would buy their clothes

Some of us don't really understand Zara's success either. People tell me their clothes aren't that good and rarely last more than a year. But perhaps that's the point..
Looking at the Desigual UK site at least their stuff is colourful.

I also want to ask (but it may be better on another thread) do you see El Corte Ingles keeping going?
Old Nov 5th 2012, 12:31 pm
Banned

amideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond repute

Yet they started off successfully at home I believe?

Unless you're saying that's it's easy to make a success on the international market?
Spain isn't exactly the easiest place to build a new business. It's riddled with bureaucracy and corruption (not my opinion, but a simple fact).

Once you become a global enterprise, you leave many of the Spanish burdens at home, but you need a global management mindset in order to be successful at it.
Old Nov 5th 2012, 12:33 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

cricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond repute

I also want to ask (but it may be better on another thread) do you see El Corte Ingles keeping going?
Absolutely - they are just going through a price adjustment because people have a lot less money nowadays. Only hope they dont lose too much quality
Old Nov 5th 2012, 12:34 pm
Banned

I am bemused at Desigual

Somebody must be buying it. I reckon they must all be morons, then? Or perhaps it's another conspiracy? They are holding people hostage and making them buy ugly stuff?

That's why you're dismal at business CMan. Your assessment is always subjective, based on your closed minded opinions, rather than reality.

Last edited by amideislas; Nov 5th 2012 at 12:44 pm.
Old Nov 5th 2012, 12:43 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

That's why you're dismal at business CMan. Your assessment is always subjective, based on your closed minded opinions, rather than reality.

Somebody must be buying it. I reckon they must all be morons, then? Or perhaps it's another conspiracy? They are holding people hostage and making them buy ugly stuff?
And that's your problem amidelislas, you dont understand that everything in this life is subjective, except for the "laws" of the universe

It is just that some things are more subjective than others

Anyway, why I am dismal at business? I'd subjectively say that I am rather good
Old Nov 5th 2012, 12:52 pm
Banned

Some of us don't really understand Zara's success either. People tell me their clothes aren't that good and rarely last more than a year. But perhaps that's the point..
Looking at the Desigual UK site at least their stuff is colourful.

Hmm... let me take a stab in the dark.

maybe people.. erm.. kind of like it when they don't have to pay €150 for a pair of jeans?

But then, it's probably a conspiracy to force people to buy junk they don't want.

Personally, I'd much rather pay €150, €200, or €500 for something that's a bit better quality. Unfortunately, I can't afford it.
Old Nov 5th 2012, 12:54 pm
Not Banned (yet)

Hmm... let me take a stab in the dark.

maybe people.. erm.. kind of like it when they don't have to pay €150 for a pair of jeans?

But then, it's probably a conspiracy to force people to buy junk they don't want.

Personally, I'd much rather pay €150, €200, or €500 for something that's a bit better quality. Unfortunately, I can't afford it.
Who's saying you have to pay €150 for a pair of jeans??

You're arguing a point no-one has made.
Old Nov 5th 2012, 12:55 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Somebody must be a terrible business person. Did capitalism let you down?

btw, once you get to about 120-150 euros for a pair of jeans then anything on top of that is for the label, not the quality. Just to let you know so your envy won't get out of control
Old Nov 5th 2012, 12:57 pm
Banned

And that's your problem amidelislas, you dont understand that everything in this life is subjective, except for the "laws" of the universe

It is just that some things are more subjective than others

Anyway, why I am dismal at business? I'd subjectively say that I am rather good
I don't like green coloured cars, but you know what? people still buy them.
Old Nov 5th 2012, 1:00 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

I don't like green coloured cars, but you know what? people still buy them.
Yes, but not many! You will see a lot more silver and red ones
Old Nov 5th 2012, 1:01 pm
Banned

Who's saying you have to pay €150 for a pair of jeans??

You're arguing a point no-one has made.
Erm, you questioned how such crap stuff could sell.

it's easy to find €150 jeans. But not everyone can afford them. Many more people can afford €30 jeans. I wonder if that has had any impact on Zara's business??? Ya think?

I love irony. We complain about high prices, then when someone offers something of better value, it's crap.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.