Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

What's Moriara like to live in?

What's Moriara like to live in?

Old Apr 24th 2010, 12:16 am
Just Joined

tominsp is an unknown quantity at this point
Smile What's Moriara like to live in?

Hi I am living in Barcelona now but was think of moving to Moriara.

Would appreciate any advice good or bad.

Is there any work there even part time for those who dont speak too much

Many thanks
Tom
Old Apr 24th 2010, 4:50 am
¿Dónde estoy?

lynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: What's Moriara like to live in?

Originally Posted by tominsp

Many thanks
Tom
they are like chalk & cheese!

I live near there & Moraira is a bit of a ghost town in the winter! I like to visit - but even in summer there's not a huge amount to do - some nice restaurants though.

on the plus side for you if you don't speak Spanish- you could probably get away with never speaking Spanish at all!

work - unlikely though
Old Apr 24th 2010, 6:33 am
Banned

JLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond repute

Many thanks
Tom
Originally Posted by lynnxa
they are like chalk & cheese!

I live near there & Moraira is a bit of a ghost town in the winter! I like to visit - but even in summer there's not a huge amount to do - some nice restaurants though.

on the plus side for you if you don't speak Spanish- you could probably get away with never speaking Spanish at all!

work - unlikely though
lynn, the op waqnts a job, where he does not have to speak much.......as in what women do all the time, no language is mentioned.

If you are looking for jobs that dont require you to speak much, try librarian, monk,, or work at the local tax or social security office, they only have to say
NEXT, every so often.

Chlldish I know, but I have woken up like this today.....
Old Apr 24th 2010, 9:21 am
¿Dónde estoy?

lynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by JLFS
lynn, the op waqnts a job, where he does not have to speak much.......as in what women do all the time, no language is mentioned.

If you are looking for jobs that dont require you to speak much, try librarian, monk,, or work at the local tax or social security office, they only have to say
NEXT, every so often.

Chlldish I know, but I have woken up like this today.....
I chose to ignore the fact that no specific language was mentioned

If you're feeling childish try here

Last edited by lynnxa; Apr 24th 2010 at 9:42 am.
Old Apr 24th 2010, 2:36 pm
Just Joined

Hi

Typo! left out Spanish good gag about Spanish funcionarios! i

So where is busy and not dead in the winter near there or in Alicante in general?

Work like above where is the best place to find work (I teach english now but could do other things bar wrok etc)

Thanks all
Tom
Old Apr 24th 2010, 5:00 pm
Forum Regular

Splatt has much to be proud ofSplatt has much to be proud ofSplatt has much to be proud ofSplatt has much to be proud ofSplatt has much to be proud ofSplatt has much to be proud ofSplatt has much to be proud ofSplatt has much to be proud ofSplatt has much to be proud ofSplatt has much to be proud ofSplatt has much to be proud of

Well I absolutely love it here. Beautiful, clean and friendly town. It is tiny though and you soon get to know people and all the encumbant gossip.

As for work, I guess it's the same as anywhere else. There are jobs for those in the know, but if you have a trade and are good at what you do I don't see why you couldn't fare well.

As for the winter, yes there aren't many tourists about but all the people who live here are still around. They don't hibernate or anything.

Good luck with whatever you choose to do!

Steve.
Old Apr 24th 2010, 6:38 pm
Just Joined

perdiu83 is an unknown quantity at this point

Moraira is a world apart from Barcelona. It is a lovely little peaceful village, but as other people have said, it is very quiet in winter.

Finding any kind of work will be very difficult, whether full time or part time as there are not many jobs around and lots of people trying to find work. However, come the summer, like many of the coastal resorts the place comes to life and you may get some bar work.

Good luck
Old Apr 25th 2010, 1:28 pm
BE Enthusiast

elspeth sinclair has much to be proud ofelspeth sinclair has much to be proud ofelspeth sinclair has much to be proud ofelspeth sinclair has much to be proud ofelspeth sinclair has much to be proud ofelspeth sinclair has much to be proud ofelspeth sinclair has much to be proud ofelspeth sinclair has much to be proud ofelspeth sinclair has much to be proud ofelspeth sinclair has much to be proud ofelspeth sinclair has much to be proud of

Very British, very expensive and no Spanish required. Gardeners,personal trainers,or carers for the elderly might a stand a chance or if it's a ghost town out of season, a security guard or house and garden sitter.
Old Apr 25th 2010, 3:08 pm
Forum Regular

dr_designer will become famous soon enough

Very British, very expensive and no Spanish required. Gardeners,personal trainers,or carers for the elderly might a stand a chance or if it's a ghost town out of season, a security guard or house and garden sitter.
Elspeth is so accurate—I once spent 6 weeks in Moraira in the winter—that we have to ask the OP why he is thinking of moving. Is there something we have missed?
Old Apr 25th 2010, 7:46 pm
Forum Regular

Splatt has much to be proud ofSplatt has much to be proud ofSplatt has much to be proud ofSplatt has much to be proud ofSplatt has much to be proud ofSplatt has much to be proud ofSplatt has much to be proud ofSplatt has much to be proud ofSplatt has much to be proud ofSplatt has much to be proud ofSplatt has much to be proud of

Yep, that's right. Nobody here. In fact it's completely rubbish. I wish I had had such valuable insight before I moved here.
Old Apr 25th 2010, 8:26 pm
Forum Regular

bil8999 has a brilliant futurebil8999 has a brilliant futurebil8999 has a brilliant futurebil8999 has a brilliant futurebil8999 has a brilliant futurebil8999 has a brilliant futurebil8999 has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by dr_designer
Elspeth is so accurate—I once spent 6 weeks in Moraira in the winter—that we have to ask the OP why he is thinking of moving. Is there something we have missed?
If I had the choice between Moraira and Calpe I know which one it would be
Old Apr 26th 2010, 12:13 am
Just Joined

Hi

Thanks for the feedback so far... so where else is more lively in winter?
Thanks
Tom
Old Apr 26th 2010, 12:37 am
Yaaarp

Madridboy has a reputation beyond reputeMadridboy has a reputation beyond reputeMadridboy has a reputation beyond reputeMadridboy has a reputation beyond reputeMadridboy has a reputation beyond reputeMadridboy has a reputation beyond reputeMadridboy has a reputation beyond reputeMadridboy has a reputation beyond reputeMadridboy has a reputation beyond reputeMadridboy has a reputation beyond reputeMadridboy has a reputation beyond repute

Hi

Thanks for the feedback so far... so where else is more lively in winter?
Thanks
Tom
Barcelona.
Old Apr 26th 2010, 10:09 am
GCM
Forum Regular

GCM has a brilliant futureGCM has a brilliant futureGCM has a brilliant futureGCM has a brilliant futureGCM has a brilliant futureGCM has a brilliant futureGCM has a brilliant future

I live on the Costa Blanca and I rate Moraira as one of the best places to live. The town has had a lot of money spent on it and it has grown with many good quality bars and restaurants opened in the last 3 years.

It is very scenic with rolling green hills in the background.

Of course most of us would prefer Barcelona but then if Tom was happy there he would not be asking the question. Presumably he is looking for somewhere smaller where you can become one of the locals.