British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Spain (https://britishexpats.com/forum/spain-75/)
-   -   What's a fruit? (https://britishexpats.com/forum/spain-75/whats-fruit-820358/)

jimenato Jan 4th 2014 1:25 pm

What's a fruit?

Mercadona have implemented a nice weighing system for fruit and veg.

The first choice you have to make on the screen is Fruit or Veg.

I note that pimientos and calabacin are classed as vegetables rather than fruit.

Any idea why that should be?

olivefarmer Jan 4th 2014 3:10 pm

Re: What's a fruit?

All part of improving the customer experience.

Technically they are "fruits" as the seeds are inside. Same goes for cucumbers, squash, green beans and walnuts.

Perhaps they ought to have two machines.

One for Botanists and one for housewives.:eek::rofl:

Dick Dasterdly Jan 4th 2014 5:25 pm

Don't see the point of it myself.

The old system was simpler, quicker and easier for all concerned IMO.

Relampago Jan 7th 2014 10:50 pm

Fruit, calabacin or pimentos? Where? It will be in the UK...

angiescarr Jan 10th 2014 9:45 am

Originally Posted by jimenato (Post 11062577)

I note that pimientos and calabacin are classed as vegetables rather than fruit.

Yes. I'm guessing It's because shoppers aren't pedantic. To them a fruit is something sweet and a veg is something you use in savoury cooking. As a pedant myself, I recognise the symptoms and think we should both get over it :D

jimenato Jan 10th 2014 9:57 am

Originally Posted by angiescarr (Post 11072005)
Yes. I'm guessing It's because shoppers aren't pedantic. To them a fruit is something sweet and a veg is something you use in savoury cooking. As a pedant myself, I recognise the symptoms and think we should both get over it :D

:nod:

tommy.irene Jan 10th 2014 1:03 pm

This is were the first apple came from.. http://weeklyworldnews.com/headlines...of-eden-found/

Retired in Euskadi Jan 10th 2014 3:23 pm

Originally Posted by jimenato (Post 11062577)

Eroski have had DIY weighing for years. Saves loads of time at the checkout. Tesco take note.
A tomato used to be classed as fruit (when I say "used to be", I mean about 2 centuries ago.). Peppers are the same family as tomatoes.
Reminds me of a quotation which says:
"Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is fruit; wisdom is knowing not to put it in a fruit salad".

rugbymatt Jan 10th 2014 3:58 pm

Originally Posted by tommy.irene (Post 11072232)
This is were the first apple came from.. http://weeklyworldnews.com/headlines...of-eden-found/

What a load of tosh! What's worse is that it completely ignores the actual work that's been done to find the DNA sequence of the original apples. More religious tosh!

Retired in Euskadi Jan 10th 2014 4:18 pm

Originally Posted by rugbymatt (Post 11072497)
What a load of tosh! What's worse is that it completely ignores the actual work that's been done to find the DNA sequence of the original apples. More religious tosh!

Hate to be boring, but several writers/scientists have named the regions of Uzbekistan, Kazakhstan & Tajikistan as being probably the area of the 'origin' of apples:
Geoffrey Moorhouse "Apples in the snow"
Roger Deakin "Wildwood"
Edward Hyams "plants in the service of man"

Don't want to detract from Tommy & Irene's humour though.

jimenato Jan 10th 2014 4:40 pm

I call Poe on that article.

Surely?:confused:

Please?:(

Lynn R Jan 10th 2014 5:19 pm

Originally Posted by retired in euzkadi (Post 11072449)
Eroski have had DIY weighing for years. Saves loads of time at the checkout. Tesco take note.
A tomato used to be classed as fruit (when I say "used to be", I mean about 2 centuries ago.). Peppers are the same family as tomatoes.
"Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is fruit; wisdom is knowing not to put it in a fruit salad".

Mercadona have always had DIY weighing (at least the last 10 years anyway) but before these new scales were introduced, you had to take note of the code number assigned to each item and enter that when weighing your fruit or vegetables, now it's just a touchscreen operation with pictures. Still seems to be confusing some customers, though!

tommy.irene Jan 10th 2014 5:43 pm

Originally Posted by rugbymatt (Post 11072497)

Did you read it and didnt get the joke.. It was posted to liven up the thread..ha.ha..
:rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl:

Dick Dasterdly Jan 10th 2014 5:51 pm

I still say the number system is both easier and quicker.
First you don't have to waste time with the fruit or veg option even if it's obvious, then you don't have to search a screen looking for the appropriate article, as the numbers are set out in order and easily spotted at very first glance.
Watching other shoppers use the new screens also gives me that impression.
I'd be interested to hear if anyone thinks the new system is better and why ?

jackytoo Jan 10th 2014 6:09 pm

Originally Posted by retired in euzkadi (Post 11072449)

How long since you were in the UK:confused: Takes no longer at the till than putting a tin of beans through:thumbup: