Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

What's the cheapest way to send money back to the UK?

What's the cheapest way to send money back to the UK?

Old Jan 9th 2009, 6:15 am
Account Closed

intheknow is an unknown quantity at this point
Default What's the cheapest way to send money back to the UK?

Title says it all really...can anyone advise or point me to a previous thread?

Thanks!
Old Jan 9th 2009, 8:01 am
Family man

CBANDY has much to be proud ofCBANDY has much to be proud ofCBANDY has much to be proud ofCBANDY has much to be proud ofCBANDY has much to be proud ofCBANDY has much to be proud ofCBANDY has much to be proud ofCBANDY has much to be proud ofCBANDY has much to be proud ofCBANDY has much to be proud ofCBANDY has much to be proud of
Default Re: What's the cheapest way to send money back to the UK?

Originally Posted by intheknow

Thanks!
I always do an on-line transfer and my bank (la caixa) only charge me 3 euros no matter the ammount.
Old Jan 9th 2009, 9:53 am
Banned

me me has a reputation beyond reputeme me has a reputation beyond reputeme me has a reputation beyond reputeme me has a reputation beyond reputeme me has a reputation beyond reputeme me has a reputation beyond reputeme me has a reputation beyond reputeme me has a reputation beyond reputeme me has a reputation beyond reputeme me has a reputation beyond reputeme me has a reputation beyond repute

[QUOTE=intheknow;7144133]Title says it all really...can anyone advise or point me to a previous thread?

The best way is to open an account with a dealer such as HIFX. You can do internet transfrer to thier holding bank and then forward the recipient information free.
When transferring money abroad, it is not the hadling fee that makes a deal good or not, it is the interest rate that they give you. I transferred 3500uros to uk pounds with HIFX but if I had used thenCAM BANK have cost me about 260 euros more to do the same deal.

So I did the inital transfer from cam via internet, to HIFX account which is free as I have internet banking. The money is then changed to pounds or whatever, according to the rate agreed over the phone. You can ring as many times as you like to ask what the rate is and when you are happy with the rate do the deal. Check on internet before you ring to see if the rate is in your favour. The rate can vary enormously during every day. Take advantage of this and you are quids in.
Old Jan 9th 2009, 1:24 pm
Forum Regular

bob_day has a reputation beyond reputebob_day has a reputation beyond reputebob_day has a reputation beyond reputebob_day has a reputation beyond reputebob_day has a reputation beyond reputebob_day has a reputation beyond reputebob_day has a reputation beyond reputebob_day has a reputation beyond reputebob_day has a reputation beyond reputebob_day has a reputation beyond reputebob_day has a reputation beyond repute

[QUOTE=me me;7144515]
Originally Posted by intheknow

The best way is to open an account with a dealer such as HIFX. You can do internet transfrer to thier holding bank and then forward the recipient information free.
When transferring money abroad, it is not the hadling fee that makes a deal good or not, it is the interest rate that they give you. I transferred 3500uros to uk pounds with HIFX but if I had used thenCAM BANK have cost me about 260 euros more to do the same deal.

So I did the inital transfer from cam via internet, to HIFX account which is free as I have internet banking. The money is then changed to pounds or whatever, according to the rate agreed over the phone. You can ring as many times as you like to ask what the rate is and when you are happy with the rate do the deal. Check on internet before you ring to see if the rate is in your favour. The rate can vary enormously during every day. Take advantage of this and you are quids in.

We have used a similar service from XE.com for quite a few yrars now to make regular payment to Frances' US suppliers. And more lately to send money to our Spanish account. In fact we used the to transfer the balance of our casita purchase a couple of years ago. Not had one transfer hiccup yet.