Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

What are your views on paypal?

What are your views on paypal?

Old Aug 10th 2010, 9:12 pm
Forum Regular

Casita has a spectacular aura aboutCasita has a spectacular aura aboutCasita has a spectacular aura about
Default Re: What are your views on paypal?

I have used PayPal for over 6 yrs and, touch wood, have never had a problem.

My o.h. has sent money, as a gift, to America and Finland for various fishing equipment. I also think the rate of exchange is quite good.
Old Aug 11th 2010, 8:32 am
Forum Regular

Emma-Louise is a name known to allEmma-Louise is a name known to allEmma-Louise is a name known to allEmma-Louise is a name known to allEmma-Louise is a name known to allEmma-Louise is a name known to allEmma-Louise is a name known to allEmma-Louise is a name known to allEmma-Louise is a name known to allEmma-Louise is a name known to allEmma-Louise is a name known to all

Excellent feedback!

Next question;

How would you feel about the payments page being in Spanish? Once you click the 'pay now' button it takes you to a page where you have the choice of logging in to your paypal account or payments by card (without a paypal account), once you have logged in the pages are then in whatever language your paypal account is in..... however if you choose the card payment option you are taken to another page where you have to choose your country from a long list, so we would be looking for Reino Unido...from that point on all is in English...

I would have to send my clients a pdf explaining the Spanish page to them in English......

Not great huh! But no way round it!

thoughts please
Old Aug 19th 2010, 10:25 am
Forum Regular

Loco Pedro has a reputation beyond reputeLoco Pedro has a reputation beyond reputeLoco Pedro has a reputation beyond reputeLoco Pedro has a reputation beyond reputeLoco Pedro has a reputation beyond reputeLoco Pedro has a reputation beyond reputeLoco Pedro has a reputation beyond reputeLoco Pedro has a reputation beyond reputeLoco Pedro has a reputation beyond reputeLoco Pedro has a reputation beyond reputeLoco Pedro has a reputation beyond repute

Recently we have discovered that Paypal are using GeoIP addressing and this has caused problems logging into a UK account - because they know we're not in the UK. It tracks us to Madrid.
Also had a problem with an item which was "not as described". (a spare battery for a mobile). When I registered a complaint, I expected some even-handed arbitration from Paypal. How wrong I was !
I was expected to get a mobile phone dealer to write a letter, on headed notepaper, stating the the item was not authentic, and fax it to their 0908 number within 10 days.
Not a hope, as you might guess.
The really annoying part of this was that the battery I received was not remotely like the picture of a Nokia BL-5F original battery which was shown on the seller's web site. It was plain black, with no stated voltage and no Nokia logo/hologram.
Hence, the pedantic requirements were completely over-the-top to determine that it was not as described. A 2 year would spot the difference.
Needless to say, Paypal ruled in favour of the seller - UKPhoneSales.com

Be warned, forget what the picture shows, everything they sell is non-original unless stated otherwise. This is an extract from the bottom end of their Terms & Conditions:

"Non Original Accessories

Please note that all accessories are non Original unless it is clearly stated that they are Original in the description text and/or title."

So Paypal don't always get it right in my view.

Yes - I know. I should have read the T's & C's - and usually do, but in this case I was remiss.

How many people really do read them ?
Old Aug 19th 2010, 10:58 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

agoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Loco Pedro
So Paypal don't always get it right in my view.
Yes - I know. I should have read the T's & C's - and usually do, but in this case I was remiss.
How many people really do read them ?
And the customer doesn't always get it right either. It clearly states you will be getting a compatible battery, and the T&C's clearly state,
Photos
Please note that as our stock changes daily photos are for example only and meant as a guide not as the exact item you will receive.
Whilst it might be a bit naughty, I would think they have covered themselves legally, they have said you'll be getting a compatible, and the photo could be completely different to what you could receive!
Old Aug 19th 2010, 11:12 am
Forum Regular

Loco Pedro has a reputation beyond reputeLoco Pedro has a reputation beyond reputeLoco Pedro has a reputation beyond reputeLoco Pedro has a reputation beyond reputeLoco Pedro has a reputation beyond reputeLoco Pedro has a reputation beyond reputeLoco Pedro has a reputation beyond reputeLoco Pedro has a reputation beyond reputeLoco Pedro has a reputation beyond reputeLoco Pedro has a reputation beyond reputeLoco Pedro has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by agoreira
And the customer doesn't always get it right either. It clearly states you will be getting a compatible battery, and the T&C's clearly state,

Whilst it might be a bit naughty, I would think they have covered themselves legally, they have said you'll be getting a compatible, and the photo could be completely different to what you could receive!
Yes I quite agree - they have covered themselves legally. That does not mean that they are not using "sharp selling practice" though, does it.
The customer is clearly misled into buying a cheap non-original battery although the picture shows the Nokia original. For me, that falls under the heading of an item that is "not as described". - Regardless of the T's & C's, the picture describes it differently. Its sharp practice but perfectly legal.
Old Aug 19th 2010, 2:23 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

agoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond repute

Yes I quite agree - they have covered themselves legally. That does not mean that they are not using "sharp selling practice" though, does it.
I think my comment "Whilst it might be a bit naughty" adequately covers that. The clue is often in the price, if I pay £8 for a camera battery that Canon sell for £40-50, common sense tells me it will be a compatible and not a genuine Canon product. Even it it is illustrated with a Canon logo, I know it will have absolutely nothing to do with Canon. You pays your money, you takes your choice.
Old Aug 23rd 2010, 9:11 am
Just Joined

mcast12 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Casita
I also think the rate of exchange is quite good.
You're joking, right?

It's got the worst exchange rate I've seen, I lose ~8% per sale between fees and exchange. Add in ebay fees and you're looking at 18%+ from one company.
Old Aug 23rd 2010, 10:53 am
Started off with nothing

missile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond repute

... had a problem with an item which was "not as described". (a spare battery for a mobile). When I registered a complaint, I expected some even-handed arbitration from Paypal. How wrong I was !
I was expected to get a mobile phone dealer to write a letter, on headed notepaper, stating the the item was not authentic, and fax it to their 0908 number within 10 days.
Not a hope, as you might guess....?
I am sure Paypal make their complaints procedure difficult so that customers give up.

In my experience, even when you follow their complaints system you do not always get your money back.

I bought a pair of fake Alpinestar gloves. I registered a complaint and faxed a statement from the local shop. This was not good enough, sent photos to manufacturer who sent an e mail confirming they were counterfiet. Paypal instructed me to destroy the gloves, ......... then rejected my claim as the merchant was not longer registered

I hate Paypal.:curse:
Old Aug 23rd 2010, 11:18 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by missile
I am sure Paypal make their complaints procedure difficult so that customers give up.

In my experience, even when you follow their complaints system you do not always get your money back.

I bought a pair of fake Alpinestar gloves. I registered a complaint and faxed a statement from the local shop. This was not good enough, sent photos to manufacturer who sent an e mail confirming they were counterfiet. Paypal instructed me to destroy the gloves, ......... then rejected my claim as the merchant was not longer registered

I hate Paypal.:curse:
Similar experience to mine then. Shows Paypal are heavily biased towards the seller (from whom they derive their revenue) - even when they resort to selling practices that most would regard as dubious, although legal. More than "a bit naughty" in my view. I rest my case ! I shall avoid them like the plague henceforth.
Old Aug 23rd 2010, 11:30 am
Forum Regular

Emma-Louise is a name known to allEmma-Louise is a name known to allEmma-Louise is a name known to allEmma-Louise is a name known to allEmma-Louise is a name known to allEmma-Louise is a name known to allEmma-Louise is a name known to allEmma-Louise is a name known to allEmma-Louise is a name known to allEmma-Louise is a name known to allEmma-Louise is a name known to all

Hola todos,

I may have to use paypal to sell a service, not an item..... nothing associated with ebay...
Old Aug 23rd 2010, 11:09 pm
Just Joined

fembat will become famous soon enoughfembat will become famous soon enough

Paypal is one of the payment mechanisms I use to run my website design business - I also utilise Google Checkout and Moneybookers (I have clients from all over the world and each has their preference so I try and accomodate them). From a sellers perspective, as someone selling a service as opposed to goods, I have never had a problem with them *touch wood*. My client can pay me for a design and the money can be in my spanish bank account in around two working days.