Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

What would you NOT miss if forced to leave Spain?

What would you NOT miss if forced to leave Spain?

Old Jan 9th 2014, 12:44 pm
BE Forum Addict

Location: Finally now living in Lo Marabu, Rojales, and it feels like home
andyrich666 has a reputation beyond reputeandyrich666 has a reputation beyond reputeandyrich666 has a reputation beyond reputeandyrich666 has a reputation beyond reputeandyrich666 has a reputation beyond reputeandyrich666 has a reputation beyond reputeandyrich666 has a reputation beyond reputeandyrich666 has a reputation beyond reputeandyrich666 has a reputation beyond reputeandyrich666 has a reputation beyond reputeandyrich666 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: What would you NOT miss if forced to leave Spain?

Originally Posted by cricketman
Beer in Spain is only cheap in Andalucia and on the Costas

Up here and all across the North a canya (half a pint) is 2 euros

When I lived in Barcelona, it would cost anything between 2 and 3 euros
Did you move for your work ? Just curious.
Old Jan 9th 2014, 12:48 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

cricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by andyrich666
Did you move for your work ? Just curious.
I moved to Barcelona for work

My wife is Asturian so we moved there once we had a baby. We thought it would be a better place to bring up children, and we were both working from home by that stage
Old Jan 9th 2014, 1:00 pm
Banned

jackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond repute

Beer isn't cheap on the CDS unless you drink in transport caff type places or run down british bars.

We had one of our best meals in Asturias....Trout caught from the pond opposite the Venta, cooked with almonds and coated with honey which still had the comb in....plus a good wine

Last edited by jackytoo; Jan 9th 2014 at 1:05 pm.
Old Jan 9th 2014, 1:43 pm
Account Closed

IamStu has a reputation beyond reputeIamStu has a reputation beyond reputeIamStu has a reputation beyond reputeIamStu has a reputation beyond reputeIamStu has a reputation beyond reputeIamStu has a reputation beyond reputeIamStu has a reputation beyond reputeIamStu has a reputation beyond reputeIamStu has a reputation beyond reputeIamStu has a reputation beyond reputeIamStu has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jackytoo
Beer isn't cheap on the CDS unless you drink in transport caff type places or run down british bars.

We had one of our best meals in Asturias....Trout caught from the pond opposite the Venta, cooked with almonds and coated with honey which still had the comb in....plus a good wine
That sound lovely J2!

Not much I wouldn´t miss other than the ever changing rules and as I´ve said before, the nervousness that generates. Let´s face it, it´s a country of who you know, back handers and some seriously dodgy decision makers. And I´m not referring to the Police!
Old Jan 9th 2014, 1:46 pm
Banned

BAT7311 is an unknown quantity at this point

up my way you got to the government trout farm and point at the fish and they put it in bag for you and you walk across the road to the ´´private´´ restaurant and they cook it for you ...
Old Jan 9th 2014, 1:47 pm
Account Closed

IamStu has a reputation beyond reputeIamStu has a reputation beyond reputeIamStu has a reputation beyond reputeIamStu has a reputation beyond reputeIamStu has a reputation beyond reputeIamStu has a reputation beyond reputeIamStu has a reputation beyond reputeIamStu has a reputation beyond reputeIamStu has a reputation beyond reputeIamStu has a reputation beyond reputeIamStu has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BAT7311
up my way you got to the government trout farm and point at the fish and they put it in bag for you and you walk across the road to the ´´private´´ restaurant and they cook it for you ...
That´s one hell of a fisherman you have up there Bat
Old Jan 9th 2014, 1:52 pm
Banned

Originally Posted by IamStu
That´s one hell of a fisherman you have up there Bat
lol no they have a like normal large fish tank in office 2m etc only about 5 fish in it .. the main ponds have like 20,000 fish in em ...and its the fresh running water from inside the gallerias that is good for em

Last edited by BAT7311; Jan 9th 2014 at 1:57 pm.
Old Jan 9th 2014, 1:58 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

cricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond repute

I didnt realise that Asturias has Ventas, in fact I'm pretty sure they don't!

But I get your point

I had trout yesterday for my menu del dia, along with a cooked apple filled with prawns, and homemade requeson with honey for dessert. Lovely! Not bad for a 10 euro menu while at work!
Old Jan 9th 2014, 2:29 pm
Banned

I didnt realise that Asturias has Ventas, in fact I'm pretty sure they don't!

But I get your point

I had trout yesterday for my menu del dia, along with a cooked apple filled with prawns, and homemade requeson with honey for dessert. Lovely! Not bad for a 10 euro menu while at work!
yes we are even luckier here as our local tax is only 7% against IVA 20%
i can get a large plate of chicken legs , papas, local wine straight from the garthone for €5 ...
60c for a cortado cafe ...
Old Jan 9th 2014, 4:07 pm
Banned

jackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond repute

OH and grandson go fly fishing. Not unusual to come back with at least 5 large ones (Grandson was UK junior champion last year). We are all fed up with them and have started to give them to a local restaurant and we get some free meals...we don't choose the trout
Old Jan 11th 2014, 3:55 pm
FreeThinker

jimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond repute

Beer in Spain is only cheap in Andalucia and on the Costas

Up here and all across the North a canya (half a pint) is 2 euros

When I lived in Barcelona, it would cost anything between 2 and 3 euros
I'm amazed you haven't got a "ñ" on your keyboard.
Old Jan 11th 2014, 4:10 pm
Banned

Originally Posted by jimenato
Yes I noticed that mut be a bit difficult working with a UK keyboard in Spain
Old Jan 11th 2014, 4:16 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

agoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond repute

And the rest of us with UK keyboards never have a problem! Set it up correctly and "shift alt" switches from UK to Spanish.
Old Jan 11th 2014, 4:18 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

agoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jimenato
He probably thinks it's spelt "canya", it's the rest of us that are wrong.
Old Jan 11th 2014, 5:08 pm
Banned

British keyboard layouts are based their own typewriter makers background
spanish keyboards are based on imported AMERICAN imported machines ,so anyone who has a SPANISH keyboard should change in windows to AMERICAN and not BRITISH ...
by doing this the @ is exactly where it says it is on the spanish keyboard