Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

What is a "Union Citizen Registration Certificate"?

What is a "Union Citizen Registration Certificate"?

Old Jul 14th 2020, 12:11 pm
Forum Regular

Emmaandrichi is an unknown quantity at this point
Default What is a "Union Citizen Registration Certificate"?

Hello All,

I am living in Madrid province, have my padron here, but wasn't able to get an appointment for residency through Covid. Now the UK & Spanish Gov websites have changed and say I'm to apply specifically for a brexit TIE as it is now after the 6th of July.

Yesterday I booked an appointment for the end of July.

One requirement I see on this form is a Union Citizen Registration Certificate but I'm not sure what that is, does anyone know? Does my passport count with it's EUROPEAN UNION stamped across the top? What about the NIE?

This is the website
https://sede.administracionespublica...x/categoria/34
I followed the Brexit option and it says the following:
"To access this procedure, you must be the holder of one of the following documents:
  • Union Citizen Registration Certificate.
  • Union Citizen Family Card (British or Northern Ireland).
  • Favorable resolution issued by the Immigration Offices of the Government Delegations / Subdelegations. To verify if the file is in a " Resolved favorably" state ( next link )."
that link leads to https://sede.administracionespublica...torio/infoext2 which says it is not available to europeans so I am more than a little confused.

Many thanks,
E
Old Jul 14th 2020, 3:51 pm
BE Enthusiast

Joppa has a reputation beyond reputeJoppa has a reputation beyond reputeJoppa has a reputation beyond reputeJoppa has a reputation beyond reputeJoppa has a reputation beyond reputeJoppa has a reputation beyond reputeJoppa has a reputation beyond reputeJoppa has a reputation beyond reputeJoppa has a reputation beyond reputeJoppa has a reputation beyond reputeJoppa has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: What is a "Union Citizen Registration Certificate"?

"Union Citizen Registration Certificate" is the green A4 sheet or credit-card-size cardboard which British citizens formerly got when registering as residents. From your description you don't have one and can't get one any more because of Brexit. What you can and should get is TIE (Foreigner's Identity Card). You now have to follow the two-step procedure of applying for TIE at the provincial capital, and then at the national police station for the actual card.
Old Jul 14th 2020, 4:06 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Joppa View Post
"Union Citizen Registration Certificate" is the green A4 sheet or credit-card-size cardboard which British citizens formerly got when registering as residents. From your description you don't have one and can't get one any more because of Brexit. What you can and should get is TIE (Foreigner's Identity Card). You now have to follow the two-step procedure of applying for TIE at the provincial capital, and then at the national police station for the actual card.
That cannot be correct. TIE is not the foreigner identity card, the NIE is.
I have an NIE already but not from my province; it is from before.

I am really suffering the consequences of mixed messages from this forum. See this >>> residency application - Proof of sufficient resources
Old Jul 14th 2020, 4:24 pm
BE Forum Addict

tebo53 has a reputation beyond reputetebo53 has a reputation beyond reputetebo53 has a reputation beyond reputetebo53 has a reputation beyond reputetebo53 has a reputation beyond reputetebo53 has a reputation beyond reputetebo53 has a reputation beyond reputetebo53 has a reputation beyond reputetebo53 has a reputation beyond reputetebo53 has a reputation beyond reputetebo53 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Emmaandrichi View Post

I am really suffering the consequences of mixed messages from this forum. See this >>> residency application - Proof of sufficient resources
You need to get your facts together correctly:

You NIE is not a national identity certificate it is the same as a UK national insurance number which is valid throughout your time in Spain.

The TIE is a national identity card being issued now instead of the green credit card style residency certificate. It's a 2 part application and you will need to supply a passport photo and give a fingerprint.

Steve
Old Jul 14th 2020, 4:39 pm
Forum Regular

Thank you Steve for the clarification. My main question is about where and when I give the documents about healthcare, bank statement, padron etc. I am in Madrid province, perhaps it is different here, the sede gov website directed me to the form for BREXIT appointments where they then say:
"To access this procedure, you must be the holder of one of the following documents:
  • Union Citizen Registration Certificate.
  • Union Citizen Family Card (British or Northern Ireland).
  • Favorable resolution issued by the Immigration Offices of the Government Delegations / Subdelegations. To verify if the file is in a " Resolved favorably" state ( next link )."
and I don't think I have any of them.
Old Jul 14th 2020, 5:35 pm
Forum Regular

What is name of the first appointment I need to make before the BREXIT one? Do I give my fingerprints when I give the documentation to the extranjeria?
Old Jul 14th 2020, 6:10 pm
BE Enthusiast

Joppa has a reputation beyond reputeJoppa has a reputation beyond reputeJoppa has a reputation beyond reputeJoppa has a reputation beyond reputeJoppa has a reputation beyond reputeJoppa has a reputation beyond reputeJoppa has a reputation beyond reputeJoppa has a reputation beyond reputeJoppa has a reputation beyond reputeJoppa has a reputation beyond reputeJoppa has a reputation beyond repute

You will eventually fall under 'Favourable resolution', meaning you have already made the first step of applying at the provincial extranjeria with your supporting documents and EX-20 and they have indicated they will issue you a residence document (TIE). You will then have to make the second step of applying at one of national police stations where they conduct immigration procedure where you supply your passport, photo, payment receipt of 12 euro fees, completed EX-23 form and give fingerprint.
The government published the following guide two days ago for British citizens and residency: http://prensa.empleo.gob.es/WebPrens...BREXIT_ENG.pdf

Last edited by Joppa; Jul 14th 2020 at 6:18 pm.
Old Jul 14th 2020, 7:18 pm
BE Forum Addict

bobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond repute

What is name of the first appointment I need to make before the BREXIT one? Do I give my fingerprints when I give the documentation to the extranjeria?
No the fingerprints etc are phase 2 done at National Police Station
Old Jul 14th 2020, 7:33 pm
BE Forum Addict

bobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond repute

You quote that thread as though somehow you have been told different? You haven't, I explained the 2 phases required now to apply for residencia. Your problem is you have started at phase 2 National Police Station. They will not deal with your application until you have completed phase 1 at the Extranjero Office and received authorisation from them to procede to phase 2 you are wasting your time, that authorisation can take up to 3 months! If I were you I would cancel the National Police Station Appointment. Read the attached link in particular the section on initial application it outlines what you need to to do and correct sequence. Also you need to find out where your regional extranjero office is located so you know where it is to attend. Im sure a Google search will give you that information for Madrid.
https://www.costablancaforum.com/are...part-1-107067/

Last edited by bobd22; Jul 14th 2020 at 7:36 pm.