Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

What type of mounting bolts for TV

What type of mounting bolts for TV

Old Jan 3rd 2014, 2:08 pm
Forum Regular

SportyPorty will become famous soon enoughSportyPorty will become famous soon enough
Default What type of mounting bolts for TV

The apartment we are buying has a construction of blocks which have a hollow 4x4 square matrix inside. What method of fixing is best for these style of bricks for a 42" TV bracket. They are not like anything I've ever encountered in the UK before. I've Googled it, with partial success, but does anyone have first hand experience? Someone mentioned Resin fixings. I'd like to source all of the materials in the UK before setting off to Mallorca, as I don't want to be in the position of missing something and not know where to buy it.

Thanks
Old Jan 3rd 2014, 2:17 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

EsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond repute
Smile Re: What type of mounting bolts for TV

Originally Posted by SportyPorty
The apartment we are buying has a construction of blocks which have a hollow 4x4 square matrix inside. What method of fixing is best for these style of bricks for a 42" TV bracket. They are not like anything I've ever encountered in the UK before. I've Googled it, with partial success, but does anyone have first hand experience? Someone mentioned Resin fixings. I'd like to source all of the materials in the UK before setting off to Mallorca, as I don't want to be in the position of missing something and not know where to buy it.

Thanks
Can you get access to the back of the wall if so to be absolutely secure get 5 inch bolts and dill right through wall and bolt through with a plate on the back.
Old Jan 3rd 2014, 2:23 pm
Forum Regular

SportyPorty will become famous soon enoughSportyPorty will become famous soon enough
Default Re: What type of mounting bolts for TV

No, unfortunately the rear is the bathroom which has a tiled wall.
Old Jan 3rd 2014, 2:52 pm
BE Forum Addict

johnnyone has a reputation beyond reputejohnnyone has a reputation beyond reputejohnnyone has a reputation beyond reputejohnnyone has a reputation beyond reputejohnnyone has a reputation beyond reputejohnnyone has a reputation beyond reputejohnnyone has a reputation beyond reputejohnnyone has a reputation beyond reputejohnnyone has a reputation beyond reputejohnnyone has a reputation beyond reputejohnnyone has a reputation beyond repute

You should try and get the builder to build in fixing battens or line part of the wall with plywood and fix to that.
Old Jan 3rd 2014, 4:16 pm
Retired and loving it!

snikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond repute

I would suggest using rawlbolts - don't over tighten them. I've seen them used for TV's on that type of brick.
Attached Thumbnails What type of mounting bolts for TV-rawlbolt_2.jpg  
Old Jan 3rd 2014, 6:02 pm
Started off with nothing

missile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond repute

You can buy all the fixings you need in Spain.
Old Jan 3rd 2014, 8:38 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by johnnyone
You should try and get the builder to build in fixing battens or line part of the wall with plywood and fix to that.
Doh, too late for that I'm afraid. It's already been plastered.

Originally Posted by snikpoh
I would suggest using rawlbolts - don't over tighten them. I've seen them used for TV's on that type of brick.
Yeah, they may be OK, will look into that further. Cheers

Originally Posted by missile
You can buy all the fixings you need in Spain.
I'm sure they are Missile, but time is on my side in the UK, but in Mallorca, I can't afford to spend half a day looking for hardware TBH.

FYI, this is the brick that are used for the apartment interior walls.

Old Jan 3rd 2014, 9:53 pm
Quien no sabe

Chatter Static has a reputation beyond reputeChatter Static has a reputation beyond reputeChatter Static has a reputation beyond reputeChatter Static has a reputation beyond reputeChatter Static has a reputation beyond reputeChatter Static has a reputation beyond reputeChatter Static has a reputation beyond reputeChatter Static has a reputation beyond reputeChatter Static has a reputation beyond reputeChatter Static has a reputation beyond reputeChatter Static has a reputation beyond repute

For that kind of brick you need a cavity wall fixing like THESE fischer ones or another type a cavity wall fixing

They do some heavy load ones that are designed for hanging radiators and TV's Do not use the other ones that were recommend as they are designed for Solid block walls or concrete and can can shatter the hollow brick and your tv will go south.

Last edited by Chatter Static; Jan 3rd 2014 at 10:05 pm.
Old Jan 4th 2014, 8:29 am
Retired and loving it!

snikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond repute

These are the normal bricks here in Spain but come in a variety of sizes.

The rawlbolts I mentioned earlier will work fine but just be careful of drilling too deep.

I attempted to hang a coat peg up and found that I'd drilled right through the wall as it was so thin !!!!
Old Jan 4th 2014, 8:39 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Fredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond repute

They make marvelous homes for cockroaches and other creepy crawlies
Old Jan 4th 2014, 9:59 am
Quien no sabe

Chatter Static has a reputation beyond reputeChatter Static has a reputation beyond reputeChatter Static has a reputation beyond reputeChatter Static has a reputation beyond reputeChatter Static has a reputation beyond reputeChatter Static has a reputation beyond reputeChatter Static has a reputation beyond reputeChatter Static has a reputation beyond reputeChatter Static has a reputation beyond reputeChatter Static has a reputation beyond reputeChatter Static has a reputation beyond repute

The rawlbolts I mentioned earlier will work fine but just be careful of drilling too deep.

I attempted to hang a coat peg up and found that I'd drilled right through the wall as it was so thin !!!!
We have the same bricks here in France they're used a lot here if you look at the attached images you can pick these fixing kits up all over the place I have seen them in Spain but for a cavity wall the load they can carry is far better than a Rawl Bolt.
Attached Thumbnails What type of mounting bolts for TV-bolt-big.jpg   What type of mounting bolts for TV-bolt-little.jpg  
Old Jan 4th 2014, 12:36 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

EsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond repute
Smile Re: What type of mounting bolts for TV

Originally Posted by Chatter Static
We have the same bricks here in France they're used a lot here if you look at the attached images you can pick these fixing kits up all over the place I have seen them in Spain but for a cavity wall the load they can carry is far better than a Rawl Bolt.
I thinking that Fischer fixings are the "Dogs Bollocks" but those look that they might be the best for this kind of brick.
Old Jan 5th 2014, 10:28 am
Forum Regular

Cheers Chatter Static, of all of the solutions offered, I think that this looks the most suitable. I've sourced one of the tools from the UK and was less than a tenner too.

Thank you everyone for your input.
Old Jan 5th 2014, 4:18 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by SportyPorty
Cheers Chatter Static, of all of the solutions offered, I think that this looks the most suitable. I've sourced one of the tools from the UK and was less than a tenner too.

Thank you everyone for your input.
I agree that the product ChatterStatic recommended would do the job, though toggle bolts (picture below) are even stronger and IMO more reliably secure (open with a spring, not based on crumpling/ folding destruction of the anchor). However, at the risk of confusing matters further, you should be prepared with a range of options because there is a fair chance that you will not drill into one of the cavities. I am not sure how well those type of bricks will take a rawl bolt (may crumble if you over tighten), so if all else fails, you might want to go back to simple old-fashioned rawl plugs as a standby solution. Hopefully you will mostly hit cavities and be able to use some sort of cavity wall anchor.

Old Jan 6th 2014, 7:22 am
Quien no sabe

Originally Posted by Pulaski
I agree that the product ChatterStatic recommended would do the job, though toggle bolts (picture below) are even stronger and IMO more reliably secure (open with a spring, not based on crumpling/ folding destruction of the anchor). However, at the risk of confusing matters further, you should be prepared with a range of options because there is a fair chance that you will not drill into one of the cavities. I am not sure how well those type of bricks will take a rawl bolt (may crumble if you over tighten), so if all else fails, you might want to go back to simple old-fashioned rawl plugs as a standby solution. Hopefully you will mostly hit cavities and be able to use some sort of cavity wall anchor.

http://0.tqn.com/d/homerepair/1/0/7/...ggle_molly.jpg
You can always use a resin fixing kit for block or brick cavity walls but I would recommend getting a loose brick to experiment with first in the fitter has never used one before.

Last edited by Chatter Static; Jan 6th 2014 at 7:26 am.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.