Reload this Page >

What are taxes like in Spain?

What are taxes like in Spain?

Old Oct 13th 2010, 7:43 pm
COF
Banned

COF is an unknown quantity at this point
Default What are taxes like in Spain?

How do taxes compare to the UK? I understand many areas don't have council tax?
Old Oct 13th 2010, 9:20 pm

Fred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: What are taxes like in Spain?

There are loads of taxes in Spain.

Which ones are you interested in?
Old Oct 14th 2010, 12:26 am
COF
Banned

COF is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Fred James
There are loads of taxes in Spain.

Which ones are you interested in?
Overall where does the average person pay more tax, UK or Spain?
Old Oct 14th 2010, 5:41 am
HBG
Lost in BE Cyberspace

HBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond repute

I think, for ordinary people, there's not much difference.
Old Oct 14th 2010, 6:15 am
¿Dónde estoy?

lynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by HBG
I think, for ordinary people, there's not much difference.
I'd go further

for ordinary people, LIFE isn't that different, either!!
Old Oct 14th 2010, 6:55 am
HBG
Lost in BE Cyberspace

HBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lynnxa
I'd go further

for ordinary people, LIFE isn't that different, either!!
I don’t agree with that. I’ve just walked my dog and I’m still in shorts and a vest, walking in the early morning sun. We’re going shopping later and afterwards (or before) we’re going to sit in a Spanish café overlooking the sea, a clear blue sea, sparkling in the sun. My life in the UK was a bit different, I had a dog and the sea wasn’t far away, but there the similarity ends.

The coffee at Southend is rubbish, the sea is brown and if I was walking around in shorts and a vest, in October, they’d be sending for the men in white coats.
Old Oct 14th 2010, 7:13 am
¿Dónde estoy?

lynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by HBG
I don’t agree with that. I’ve just walked my dog and I’m still in shorts and a vest, walking in the early morning sun. We’re going shopping later and afterwards (or before) we’re going to sit in a Spanish café overlooking the sea, a clear blue sea, sparkling in the sun. My life in the UK was a bit different, I had a dog and the sea wasn’t far away, but there the similarity ends.

The coffee at Southend is rubbish, the sea is brown and if I was walking around in shorts and a vest, in October, they’d be sending for the men in white coats.
apart from the weather then!!

& I'll give you the coffee too

my kids have gone to school

I'm off to work - dh has already done so

I have a load of washing in the machine - which will eventually need ironing

I really need to get some cleaning done

& they want curry for lunch!!

not much difference for me
Old Oct 14th 2010, 7:37 am
BE Forum Addict

Rotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by COF
What ever your profession you generally earn a lot less than in the UK so consequently pay less tax, house rates/tax are considerably lower , I pay around 10% of what my UK house cost.
Self employed are treated badly here, NI is around 260 euros....a month!!! compared with 12 quid in the UK,plus there is no threshold for VAT

The bottom line is its much tougher here financialy for a working person.
Old Oct 14th 2010, 7:57 am
Banned

JLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lynnxa
apart from the weather then!!

& I'll give you the coffee too

my kids have gone to school

I'm off to work - dh has already done so

I have a load of washing in the machine - which will eventually need ironing

I really need to get some cleaning done

& they want curry for lunch!!

not much difference for me

I agree with your point of view.

Life is more or less the same, if you have a familiy, a job etc.

Babies nappies still have to be changed, kids got ready for school, housework, shop, cook, wash up, go to work etc.

The difference in life between Spain and UK, is more marked for the retired with lots of time on their hands, and which the weather and locations plays a big part-

Pensioners in colder parts of Spain, have to face the rain and wind, maybe to a slightly lesser extent than in the UK, but their life is not sitting on a terrace in November anymore than a UK pensioner would. without freezing their nuts off. So a Northern Spanish person could have more in common to a pensioner in the UK, than a pensioner on the Costa del sol for example.
They would be wrapped up warm, sit inside the bar, go out a lot less.

I suppose it would be life comparing the life of a New Yorker to a Florida resident.

Also the sparkling blue sea, is not an option for millions of Spainish or Brits either, because of their location, living hundreds of miles for the coast, and a friend of mine in Soria told me that they have had their first "Ice" a few nights ago, and that they fire will be lit permanently from now till next spring.

I think the main difference is between the lifestyle is for retired folk, compared to the
UK, they have the time to enjoy more and the weather to be able to spend more time out doors, depending on which part of Spain they live in, as the sun does play a big part in the equation.

I know pensioners from Galicia who have retired to sunnier climes and they have the same outlook as British, that life in Spain can vary a great deal, depending on the weather, which seems to be the main factor, when you are in a position to really enjoy it, ie retired.

Last edited by JLFS; Oct 14th 2010 at 8:02 am.
Old Oct 14th 2010, 8:04 am
bil
Banned

bil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond repute

It's all where you are and what you do. We are near the Atlantic coast on the Costa de la Luz. I doubt we will light fires before Dec, and in a good year I can, provided the wind doesn't blow, sunbathe in February. Last winter a lot of rain, but only two frosty nights.

We are in the campo, so up to now, our council taxes are a fraction of what they were in the UK, and there's no-one who gives a toss how full the rubbish bins in the village are.

Work is hard to come by, but not impossible, and for someone like me, who took early retirement, life can be quite pleasant, provided you can live within your means.
Old Oct 14th 2010, 8:08 am
Started off with nothing

missile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond repute

My wife sums it up as a change of kitchen sink
Old Oct 14th 2010, 8:09 am
Banned

JLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by missile
My wife sums it up as a change of kitchen sink
A very wise woman, your missus
Old Oct 14th 2010, 8:38 am
I believe.

Grebo has much to be proud ofGrebo has much to be proud ofGrebo has much to be proud ofGrebo has much to be proud ofGrebo has much to be proud ofGrebo has much to be proud ofGrebo has much to be proud ofGrebo has much to be proud ofGrebo has much to be proud ofGrebo has much to be proud ofGrebo has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Rotor
What ever your profession you generally earn a lot less than in the UK so consequently pay less tax, house rates/tax are considerably lower , I pay around 10% of what my UK house cost.
Self employed are treated badly here, NI is around 260 euros....a month!!! compared with 12 quid in the UK,plus there is no threshold for VAT

The bottom line is its much tougher here financialy for a working person.
You are not wrong, it makes no sence being legally self employed
We actually work more hours for less with a lot more hassle.
Old Oct 14th 2010, 9:00 am
BE Forum Addict

Rotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Grebo
You are not wrong, it makes no sence being legally self employed
We actually work more hours for less with a lot more hassle.
Its ridiculous that self employed are forced to become criminals just to survive , the government really shoots it self in the foot, if people could afford to work legally (sounds mad dosent it?) then more taxes could be collected in the long run and unemployment figures would look better for their propaganda.
Without a decent social secuity system in place many have no choice but to work for black money
Old Oct 14th 2010, 9:01 am
Senior Moment

Mitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by COF
The question is diffcult to answer as everyones circumstances are different. We are paying less tax in Spain than would would have in the UK. Thats because we have structured things properly. Then there's local "council tax". We were paying about £1500 a year iirc in our last house, now we pay €400 in Spain. The flat we have in the UK is about £800 a year, and is much smaller than what we have here.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.