Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

What should I bring for christmas?

What should I bring for christmas?

Old Nov 28th 2008, 11:18 am
Forum Regular

jules63 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default What should I bring for christmas?

We're arriving on christmas eve for the week, so only time to do a supermarket shop before christmas. What goodies should I bring from England that will be hard to find in a supermarket there?

I love christmas pudding and christmas cake (weird I know) - should i bring some with me or will i be able to get in carrefour?

cheers

Old Nov 28th 2008, 11:20 am
¿Dónde estoy?

lynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: What should I bring for christmas?

I'd like a tin of Terry's choccy oranges please
Old Nov 28th 2008, 11:35 am

poshnbucks has disabled reputation

Originally Posted by jules63
We're arriving on christmas eve for the week, so only time to do a supermarket shop before christmas. What goodies should I bring from England that will be hard to find in a supermarket there?

I love christmas pudding and christmas cake (weird I know) - should i bring some with me or will i be able to get in carrefour?

cheers

Bet everyone who has a slice of any cake has to comment on......... ohhhhh how moist it is..... Bet next time you take a piece of cake as a guest say nothing and wait......... They will say.......Ohhhhh I hope the cake wasn't too dry to which you will smile having remembered this thread and reply........... Ohhhhh No the cake is fantastic and very moist indeed.
Bring lots of Cadburys Chocs because the chocolate here does not taste the same.Also nice big jar of haywards sweet pickled onions for bubble and squeak on boxing day to have with cold turkey yummy. If you don't make your own stuffing, You can get Paxo ,HP sauce , from Intermarche supermarkets They also have the best bacon from the fresh meat counter. Mrs P made three Xmas Pudds of various sizes on Wednesday and had them steaming away for hours, She tells me then you have to steam them of the day of eating, The thing is she knows what's gone into them and that includes a very good French cognac.

Last edited by poshnbucks; Nov 28th 2008 at 11:51 am.
Old Nov 28th 2008, 11:42 am

Rosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond repute

cheers

This will be our third Christmas here and not seen Christmas cake or pudding here. Lat year we found mince pies in an English shop in a totally different area. Hope this helps a little, it does depend on whether there are a lot of English where you are going.

Rosemary
Old Nov 28th 2008, 11:46 am
¿Dónde estoy?

lynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by The Oddities
This will be our third Christmas here and not seen Christmas cake or pudding here. Lat year we found mince pies in an English shop in a totally different area. Hope this helps a little, it does depend on whether there are a lot of English where you are going.

Rosemary
don't they do chrissie pudding in carrefour?

I seriously don't know but would have thought they did

I think they do in masymas
Old Nov 28th 2008, 12:22 pm

poshnbucks has disabled reputation

This is the easy Christmas cake recipe very moist indeed.

http://www.allaboutyou.com/food/Easi...-recipe/recipe
Old Nov 28th 2008, 1:27 pm
I believe.

Grebo has much to be proud ofGrebo has much to be proud ofGrebo has much to be proud ofGrebo has much to be proud ofGrebo has much to be proud ofGrebo has much to be proud ofGrebo has much to be proud ofGrebo has much to be proud ofGrebo has much to be proud ofGrebo has much to be proud ofGrebo has much to be proud of

Depends what area your going to.?

There are Brit shops scattered about, we have one not far from us Formally called Bookers now Expats they have EVERYTHING you may hanker you . But then again if your arriving xmas eve most will probably be sold out anyway
So bring what you can't live without IMOP.
Old Nov 28th 2008, 1:36 pm
¿Dónde estoy?

Originally Posted by Grebo
Depends what area your going to.?

There are Brit shops scattered about, we have one not far from us Formally called Bookers now Expats they have EVERYTHING you may hanker you . But then again if your arriving xmas eve most will probably be sold out anyway
So bring what you can't live without IMOP.
actually that's a good point

everything shuts early Christmas eve

not sure about biggies like carrefour though
Old Nov 28th 2008, 1:47 pm

Rosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lynnxa
actually that's a good point

everything shuts early Christmas eve

not sure about biggies like carrefour though
Our nearest Carrefour only caters for the spanish and I presume that Christmas pud is not traditional here because they do not sell it (or they are hiding it when I go). Never seen Christmas crackers or packets of stuffing there either.

Think even the biggies close early on Christmas eve.

Rosemary
Old Nov 28th 2008, 1:50 pm
¿Dónde estoy?

Our nearest Carrefour only caters for the spanish and I presume that Christmas pud is not traditional here because they do not sell it (or they are hiding it when I go). Never seen Christmas crackers or packets of stuffing there either.

Think even the biggies close early on Christmas eve.

Rosemary
the carrefour in benidorm has loads of brit stuff (well it would, wouldn't it?)

masymas sell stuffng mix

crackers - only in the english shops
Old Nov 28th 2008, 1:54 pm

Originally Posted by lynnxa
the carrefour in benidorm has loads of brit stuff (well it would, wouldn't it?)

masymas sell stuffng mix

crackers - only in the english shops
Not in the one near us.

We enjoy the challenge of making most things ourself anyway so no hardship. Do not like Christmas cake or pud so again no problem.

Good old roast turkey, spuds and veg available so that is Christmas sorted as far as we are concerned.

Rosemary
Old Nov 28th 2008, 2:03 pm
¿Dónde estoy?

Not in the one near us.

We enjoy the challenge of making most things ourself anyway so no hardship. Do not like Christmas cake or pud so again no problem.

Good old roast turkey, spuds and veg available so that is Christmas sorted as far as we are concerned.

Rosemary
I guess that would be because you're the only brits for about 100km!!

maybe you could introduce your neighbours to stuffing & create a demand

we don't eat chrissie cake or pud either

and right now I'm trying very hard not to hit the polverones 'pic n mix' counter

so far I've succeeded - but I don't know how much longer I can
Old Nov 28th 2008, 2:23 pm
Forum Regular

jules63 is an unknown quantity at this point

I thought things might close early that is why I will only have time to go to the supermarket and not to lots of other shops to track down the goodies i want - I think I'll bring what I really want just to be on the safe side

Old Nov 28th 2008, 8:36 pm
¿Dónde estoy?

I thought things might close early that is why I will only have time to go to the supermarket and not to lots of other shops to track down the goodies i want - I think I'll bring what I really want just to be on the safe side

and my choccy orange?
Old Nov 29th 2008, 11:09 am
Banned

jurdyr is a glorious beacon of lightjurdyr is a glorious beacon of lightjurdyr is a glorious beacon of lightjurdyr is a glorious beacon of lightjurdyr is a glorious beacon of lightjurdyr is a glorious beacon of lightjurdyr is a glorious beacon of lightjurdyr is a glorious beacon of lightjurdyr is a glorious beacon of lightjurdyr is a glorious beacon of lightjurdyr is a glorious beacon of light

will i am luck here i get to travel bite UK Ireland Sweden over next few weeks so think do my shopping back in Ireland are UK this year , last year think saw santa flight out there , are two many drink at airport bar

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.