Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

what is the real state of spanish housing market?

what is the real state of spanish housing market?

Old Apr 30th 2008, 12:41 pm
Just Joined

sassykins has a brilliant futuresassykins has a brilliant futuresassykins has a brilliant futuresassykins has a brilliant futuresassykins has a brilliant futuresassykins has a brilliant future
Default what is the real state of spanish housing market?

OK, I no the papers don't tell the truth and the TV exagerates but is the market as bad in spain as we are led to beleive...its really bad in UK, first time buyers have been knocked off the housing ladder having an effect on all of us, the forecast is that things are going to get worse in the UK!! What I'm hoping is I can get a bargin Spanish end to make up for losses here? What do you think????
Old Apr 30th 2008, 1:11 pm
BE Enthusiast

TheLostPhotographer has a reputation beyond reputeTheLostPhotographer has a reputation beyond reputeTheLostPhotographer has a reputation beyond reputeTheLostPhotographer has a reputation beyond reputeTheLostPhotographer has a reputation beyond reputeTheLostPhotographer has a reputation beyond reputeTheLostPhotographer has a reputation beyond reputeTheLostPhotographer has a reputation beyond reputeTheLostPhotographer has a reputation beyond reputeTheLostPhotographer has a reputation beyond reputeTheLostPhotographer has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: what is the real state of spanish housing market?

There are many houses being advertised with as much as a 40% reduction in price since original listing a year, or more ago. They're still not selling and still over-priced IMO. The market here is saturated and new builds are still prolific. This is most definitely not the time to buy off plan!

It's a buyers market and some people are more than desperate to sell. I know of one place that was originally listed at €220,000. I'm pretty sure they would accept less than €100,000 today.

In summary; yep - it's pretty bad and likely to get far worse.
Old Apr 30th 2008, 2:30 pm
bil
Banned

bil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond repute

From what I have heard, a place with a bit of land won't be affected as much or as quickly, but the Urbs and small places with no land knocked out by the dozen are expected to drop worst of all.

Same in the UK. The better the property and the better the area, the better the resistance to a crash.

Mind you, it all depends on the press and the people. We could quite easily talk ourselves into a crash, but if there is confidence, and the money keeps moving, then the problems won't be nearly as bad.
Old Apr 30th 2008, 2:42 pm
Just Joined

sassykins has a brilliant futuresassykins has a brilliant futuresassykins has a brilliant futuresassykins has a brilliant futuresassykins has a brilliant futuresassykins has a brilliant future

Thanks, interesting guys! I shall sit back and wait and see, news here today that prices to drop up to 30% by christmas.
Old Apr 30th 2008, 4:06 pm
Concierge

mikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond repute

Buyers market at the moment, we sold just in time, and property on the urbanisation we lived on has dropped to about 20% less than we paid. All the estate agents have rows of properties marked as 'reduced for quick sale'.
Old Apr 30th 2008, 4:37 pm
bil
Banned

bil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond repute

Lucky old you.

Did you move right out the area?
Old Apr 30th 2008, 5:06 pm
Forum Regular

george43 will become famous soon enough

Which urb was that Mike?
Old May 1st 2008, 3:36 pm
Forum Regular

madcarole has much to be proud ofmadcarole has much to be proud ofmadcarole has much to be proud ofmadcarole has much to be proud ofmadcarole has much to be proud ofmadcarole has much to be proud ofmadcarole has much to be proud ofmadcarole has much to be proud ofmadcarole has much to be proud ofmadcarole has much to be proud ofmadcarole has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by sassykins
Thanks, interesting guys! I shall sit back and wait and see, news here today that prices to drop up to 30% by christmas.

the news yesterday was that house prices were dropping £45 a day..

whatever the market is like the houses off urbanisation - most i have looked at people will not take much of a drop. adn with the euro strong against the pound have found have effectively gone up!!!

cAROLE
Old May 1st 2008, 4:21 pm
Senior Moment

Mitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by madcarole

whatever the market is like the houses off urbanisation - most i have looked at people will not take much of a drop. adn with the euro strong against the pound have found have effectively gone up!!!

cAROLE
Yep, for anyone that manages to sell at the moment at their asking price who is going back home, they are going to make good money changing back to £. If it were me, I'd be adjusting the price a little.
Old May 1st 2008, 6:35 pm
Forum Regular

Justlookin has much to be proud ofJustlookin has much to be proud ofJustlookin has much to be proud ofJustlookin has much to be proud ofJustlookin has much to be proud ofJustlookin has much to be proud ofJustlookin has much to be proud ofJustlookin has much to be proud ofJustlookin has much to be proud ofJustlookin has much to be proud ofJustlookin has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by bil
From what I have heard, a place with a bit of land won't be affected as much or as quickly, but the Urbs and small places with no land knocked out by the dozen are expected to drop worst of all.

Same in the UK. The better the property and the better the area, the better the resistance to a crash.

Mind you, it all depends on the press and the people. We could quite easily talk ourselves into a crash, but if there is confidence, and the money keeps moving, then the problems won't be nearly as bad.
Sorry bil but I do not see where you got your info from for Spain or the UK. I have seen no evidence to back up what you say and anyway 5% of 500,000 isn't a much better loss than 10% of 250,000 is it.

There will be no resistance to dropping property prices in any price band in Spain or UK whatever the property or land size. It is not so bad if it is your home because you sell and buy in the same market, where the real losses are is where you sell in Spain to buy in England (although as Mitzyboy says the strong Euro helps you there). The worst position is selling in the UK and buying in Spain at the moment because you do not benefit as much from the lower prices when you are not getting as much in Euro's to the £.

Last edited by Justlookin; May 1st 2008 at 6:36 pm. Reason: typo
Old May 1st 2008, 6:42 pm
Senior Moment

Mitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Justlookin
Sorry bil but I do not see where you got your info from for Spain or the UK. I have seen no evidence to back up what you say and anyway 5% of 500,000 isn't a much better loss than 10% of 250,000 is it.

There will be no resistance to dropping property prices in any price band in Spain or UK whatever the property or land size. It is not so bad if it is your home because you sell and buy in the same market, where the real losses are is where you sell in Spain to buy in England (although as Mitzyboy says the strong Euro helps you there). The worst position is selling in the UK and buying in Spain at the moment because you do not benefit as much from the lower prices when you are not getting as much in Euro's to the £.
I have to say that my experience has shown that good quality property in the right area will ride any property slow down. Boxes on urbs in Spain will suffer as there are so many of them. A nice villa up the road here sold within a month of going on the market, although I have no idea what it eventually went for.

In the last big property crash in the UK I lived in Solihull in the West Midlands which is an upmarket area, and there was almost no effect on property within the borough there as people wanted to live there.
Old May 1st 2008, 6:55 pm
BE Forum Addict

leighbloke has a reputation beyond reputeleighbloke has a reputation beyond reputeleighbloke has a reputation beyond reputeleighbloke has a reputation beyond reputeleighbloke has a reputation beyond reputeleighbloke has a reputation beyond reputeleighbloke has a reputation beyond reputeleighbloke has a reputation beyond reputeleighbloke has a reputation beyond reputeleighbloke has a reputation beyond reputeleighbloke has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by madcarole

cAROLE
Where are you looking to buy Carole? I'm currently tempted by a never lived 2 bed appt in Murcia - being sold privately for just about half the developers current asking price - on a Golf course overlooking the 18th green - from memory it's less than the off plan price 4 years ago.........Hhhhhhhmmm.....Cash in the prem bonds and ISAs, sell one of the cars????????
Old May 1st 2008, 7:01 pm
jdr
RETIRED ;-))

jdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by leighbloke
Where are you looking to buy Carole? I'm currently tempted by a never lived 2 bed appt in Murcia - being sold privately for just about half the developers current asking price - on a Golf course overlooking the 18th green - from memory it's less than the off plan price 4 years ago.........Hhhhhhhmmm.....Cash in the prem bonds and ISAs, sell one of the cars????????
One of these perhaps ? HERE
Old May 1st 2008, 7:56 pm
Forum Regular

Justlookin has much to be proud ofJustlookin has much to be proud ofJustlookin has much to be proud ofJustlookin has much to be proud ofJustlookin has much to be proud ofJustlookin has much to be proud ofJustlookin has much to be proud ofJustlookin has much to be proud ofJustlookin has much to be proud ofJustlookin has much to be proud ofJustlookin has much to be proud of

In the last big property crash in the UK I lived in Solihull in the West Midlands which is an upmarket area, and there was almost no effect on property within the borough there as people wanted to live there.[/QUOTE]

I lived just down the road from you at the time and frankly that was not a crash in the sense it is in the UK now. It was a definite hiccup but didn't last as long as the current crash will. The cause of the current crash is not the same.

I know I may sound a real doom and gloom merchant but I'm not, I'm just trying to make it clear that those responsible for financing our mortgages (and I mean those a step or two behind the building society) are suffering.

Yes, to a large extent the crisis is being talked-up but do not think for one moment it is going to be short-lived or that anyone is going to be immune.
Old May 1st 2008, 8:26 pm
BE Forum Addict

leighbloke has a reputation beyond reputeleighbloke has a reputation beyond reputeleighbloke has a reputation beyond reputeleighbloke has a reputation beyond reputeleighbloke has a reputation beyond reputeleighbloke has a reputation beyond reputeleighbloke has a reputation beyond reputeleighbloke has a reputation beyond reputeleighbloke has a reputation beyond reputeleighbloke has a reputation beyond reputeleighbloke has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jdr
One of these perhaps ? HERE
No - but they are big in Murcia.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.