Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

What is the point of the NIE if it isn't used to identify you ?

What is the point of the NIE if it isn't used to identify you ?

Old Jan 6th 2021, 2:06 pm
Just Joined

chupichulo is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: What is the point of the NIE if it isn't used to identify you ?

No, I mean Spanish border control. The ones who refuse entry to the country cos I'm not resident in Spain when in fact I have been for the last 20 years. If they weren't so inflexible in their insistence on the green cert and nothing else, I could have gone home two weeks ago.

The document I need to prove I am resident in Spain.... is at my residence in Spain. Or it was, now it is somewhere en route.
Postman came today but he didn't have what I wanted.

Old Jan 6th 2021, 2:13 pm
BE Enthusiast

Chipmonk has a reputation beyond reputeChipmonk has a reputation beyond reputeChipmonk has a reputation beyond reputeChipmonk has a reputation beyond reputeChipmonk has a reputation beyond reputeChipmonk has a reputation beyond reputeChipmonk has a reputation beyond reputeChipmonk has a reputation beyond reputeChipmonk has a reputation beyond reputeChipmonk has a reputation beyond reputeChipmonk has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by chupichulo
No, I mean Spanish border control. The ones who refuse entry to the country cos I'm not resident in Spain when in fact I have been for the last 20 years. If they weren't so inflexible in their insistence on the green cert and nothing else, I could have gone home two weeks ago.

The document I need to prove I am resident in Spain.... is at my residence in Spain. Or it was, now it is somewhere en route.
Postman came today but he didn't have what I wanted.
But have you actually spoken to them about this or are you assuming they will tell you you cant enter. ?Obviously immigration must be able to locate a Spanish resident based on passport. If you lose your green card you dont lose your residency. It all depends on what data base they will have access to when you go to passport control

Last edited by Rosemary; Jan 6th 2021 at 4:21 pm. Reason: corrected quote
Old Jan 6th 2021, 2:24 pm
Forum Regular

yevlondon is an unknown quantity at this point

if they start "checking computer" for everyone who says they are resident and gives them some series of numbers and letters "to look up", we would be in a passport control FOR A VERY LONG TIME. having relevant documentation for travel is people's responsibility.

it's like saying "oh why cant i travel without my passport. i can just give them the number and they will check it in their computer if i am for reals or not"
Old Jan 6th 2021, 2:30 pm
BE Enthusiast

Chipmonk has a reputation beyond reputeChipmonk has a reputation beyond reputeChipmonk has a reputation beyond reputeChipmonk has a reputation beyond reputeChipmonk has a reputation beyond reputeChipmonk has a reputation beyond reputeChipmonk has a reputation beyond reputeChipmonk has a reputation beyond reputeChipmonk has a reputation beyond reputeChipmonk has a reputation beyond reputeChipmonk has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by yevlondon
if they start "checking computer" for everyone who says they are resident and gives them some series of numbers and letters "to look up", we would be in a passport control FOR A VERY LONG TIME. having relevant documentation for travel is people's responsibility.

it's like saying "oh why cant i travel without my passport. i can just give them the number and they will check it in their computer if i am for reals or not"
I agree. Of course they can find out your residency status but it takes time and also no doubt involves possible communication problems ( they no doubt will ask in Spanish). Therefore you present a proven document. If there was an emergency then I am sure they would eventually assist you.
Old Jan 6th 2021, 2:49 pm
DLC
BE Forum Addict

DLC has a reputation beyond reputeDLC has a reputation beyond reputeDLC has a reputation beyond reputeDLC has a reputation beyond reputeDLC has a reputation beyond reputeDLC has a reputation beyond reputeDLC has a reputation beyond reputeDLC has a reputation beyond reputeDLC has a reputation beyond reputeDLC has a reputation beyond reputeDLC has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Chipmonk
But have you actually spoken to them about this or are you assuming they will tell you you cant enter. ?Obviously immigration must be able to locate a Spanish resident based on passport. If you lose your green card you dont lose your residency. It all depends on what data base they will have access to when you go to passport control
They could look up your NIE from your passport number but what happens if you renewed it?

The only things they will accept on the border which quickly prove residency is passport + green NIE certificate/card, passport + TIE or, until the 10th of January, passport + resguardo for a TIE.

And in answer to the original question there used to be a blue TIC (Comunitario) but it was replaced with the green certificate in 2007 because a court case found that only an EU citizen's own country could issue a form of ID.

From then on the police or civil service had to look at the name on the certificate and the name on the passport or ID card and checked they matched.
Old Jan 6th 2021, 2:52 pm
Started off with nothing

missile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond repute

On entry to Spain, I am sure they will check that your residence certificate is genuine and valid just as they do with your passport.
Old Jan 6th 2021, 4:39 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

bobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond repute

Makes sense to me to ensure whenever I travel outside of Spain to ensure I have my residency card and passport to ensure I can get home. These current covid restrictions have highlighted the situation but in any case knowing that we become 3rd country Nationals within the EU on 1 January, I would definately have ensured both were with me. I know that's of no use to OP and I hope they get their card in the post soon and get home. However its a good warning for anyone travelling.