British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Spain (https://britishexpats.com/forum/spain-75/)
-   -   What kind of holiday in Spain soon? (https://britishexpats.com/forum/spain-75/what-kind-holiday-spain-soon-933162/)

dougal03 Jun 12th 2020 2:38 pm

What kind of holiday in Spain soon?

Understandably the Govn.are keen to restore confidence in tourism &,I believe,are hoping this will be very shortly.When I visit a foreign country I like to browse around shops just to see what is for sale which gives me an insight into the culture of that place.Also visit places like museums or local outdoor markets,a bit of a gander at everything really as I wandered across Europe on various holidays.If tourists come to Spain this summer will they have to abide by the regulations in place as we residents have?Or will it all magically be back to"normal"?Some bars/cafes have opened,outside tables set aside with people unmasked as they are eating,drinking,smoking as allowed,yet I pass as a masked pedestrian between the aisle & could touch them as I am so close,no social distancing.Will the over 70,s still be restricted to the exercise slot of 10-12 noon?.If so,not much of a holiday.And if swimming in the sea does one have to ensure that either you are masked or keeping to the 2 metre rule?Any answers anyone?

spainrico Jun 12th 2020 4:07 pm

Re: What kind of holiday in Spain soon?

Worth keeping up with El Pais ie:

https://english.elpais.com/spanish_n...se-change.html

Fredbargate Jun 12th 2020 5:17 pm

All EU Gibraltar residents have been allowed to travel to Spain since the 10th June as tourists.
The following article explains

https://www.gbc.gi/news/what-do-you-...ons-when-spain

Leper Jun 13th 2020 6:33 am

My Brit neighbours in Spain advise that Spain will reopen for holidaymakers from the UK with effect from 15th July 2020. However, there is a chance that the EU will instruct Spain to open earlier, but the reality is that Spain is hurting and needs tourism, but not at the expense of more Covid-19 deaths.

Somebody mentioned that UK holidaymakers could enter Spain earlier through flights from Ireland. This will not happen unless you have an Irish passport.

For the Record:- The New Normal in Spain will be much different from the Normal of previous years. At this moment swimming pools + gardens of most apartment complexes are closed (as in fenced off). The local police are enforcing this and it would be folly to assume that this restriction will be eased within the next four weeks. Wearing of face masks is mandatory in all enclosed spaces e.g. shops, restaurants etc. Don't assume that the Spaniards will make allowances for "this-that-t'other" because they won't. Sorry!

amideislas Jun 14th 2020 7:09 am

There currently is no official plan for airbridge from the UK, until the UK exhibits control of the virus. And those decisions have been largely left up the the autonomous regions.

In Mallorca, we currently allow tourist travel from Germany. That will expand to include much of the rest of the continent by mid July. It's still unclear when we will open to UK tourism. In fact, some would-be british tourists are angry that they've booked hotels, but can't get flights yet. Seems rather premature. Ready. Fire. Aim.

dougal03 Jun 15th 2020 11:32 am

So still up to regions to decide & not universal & can be changed at a moment's notice.About as clear as anything laid down in by UK.I can appreciate that apartment complexes can apply rules to their swimming pools but what about the sea?It,s the same environment,i.e. people exercising in water,but you can't impose the same conditions can you??

bobd22 Jun 15th 2020 11:50 am

Originally Posted by dougal03 (Post 12867173)
So still up to regions to decide & not universal & can be changed at a moment's notice.About as clear as anything laid down in by UK.

Spain has agreed to open its borders to EU States from 21 June, that includes UK as in transission. However they do say it is all dependant upun disease of country of origin. Sounds fair to me given no one knows state of disease from week to week although most are getting rates down.

Notdunroamin Jun 15th 2020 3:03 pm

Originally Posted by Leper (Post 12866049)
However, there is a chance that the EU will instruct Spain to open earlier,!

The EU has no power to 'instruct' any such thing.
If Spain decided to keep their borders closed until Christmas there wouldn't be a thing the EU could do about it!

Communal pools can open but with prescribed precautions, if those in charge decide they cannot - or will not - comply (and it's only about the cost) then the pool stays closed.
Mine has been open all week.

Pulaski Jun 15th 2020 3:50 pm

Originally Posted by Leper (Post 12866049)
..... . The local police are enforcing this and it would be folly to assume that this restriction will be eased within the next four weeks. Wearing of face masks is mandatory in all enclosed spaces e.g. shops, restaurants etc. Don't assume that the Spaniards will make allowances for "this-that-t'other" because they won't. Sorry!

Is there an equivalent Spanish analogy to "like herding cats"? :unsure:

amideislas Jun 16th 2020 5:14 am

They seem to be doing a pretty good job of "herding cats", since that's pretty much what people are doing.

Pulaski Jun 16th 2020 1:23 pm

Originally Posted by amideislas (Post 12867564)
They seem to be doing a pretty good job of "herding cats", since that's pretty much what people are doing.

I was talking about managing tourists from other countries. I assume that Germans would be fairly easy to herd, but perhaps not citizens of (some) other countries. :unsure:

Barriej Jun 17th 2020 9:10 am

Originally Posted by Pulaski (Post 12867727)
I was talking about managing tourists from other countries. I assume that Germans would be fairly easy to herd, but perhaps not citizens of (some) other countries. :unsure:

This is something that has always bothered me.
I've spent the last 30 years travelling the world for work and in most cases, when you apply for a work visa, you get a detailed set of instructions on what you should or should not do. In the case of Saudi Arabia I got a 50 page book, detailing how the country runs and if I didn't agree perhaps I should rethink my visit, Canada sent me a list of restrictions. ETC

However now the EU is one big borderless entity, its simple to just drive from Poland to Spain without knowing any of the local rules (there was another thread about speed limits and signage here the other day).

I would hope but its more of a pipe dream. That you should be informed by either, the airline, travel agent, airport on arrival. What the conditions of your visit were, regarding PPE at this time, or just generally. (just for fun, did you know that its a offence to wear military clothing on Barbados unless you are in the forces?)

Lets say I fly from the UK where you do not have to wear a face mask in the shops to Spain where you do. How do I and who is responsible for giving me this information?

To be honest I usually research, but again to be honest I have no idea what the rules are in France or Germany or even Poland....Mainly because I won't be visiting anytime soon.

And I'm betting your average tourist won't be bothered checking either.

amideislas Jun 17th 2020 11:57 am

Around here, at every shop I frequent, they not only have (iconic, not just written) signs everywhere, but won't let you in without mask or without using the supplied hand sanitizer. And everybody in the shop is wearing a mask at minimum, many with gloves as well. It's pretty difficult not to notice.

Restaurants and bars are all alfresco... No indoor seating allowed (yet).

Outdoors it's a bit hit or miss. Some people masked, others not. But there's no mandate to wear masks outdoors, so it's not as if anyone's breaking the law.

Pulaski Jun 17th 2020 12:53 pm

Originally Posted by Barriej (Post 12868060)
.... just for fun, did you know that its a offence to wear military clothing on Barbados unless you are in the forces? .....

Yes, actually, and Barbados is far from unique in that regard. Such restrictions are, I hear, quite common in the Carribbean, Latin America, and Africa too, and "military clothing" is often interpeted to include "anything made from camo-pattern fabric".

bobd22 Jun 17th 2020 1:16 pm

Originally Posted by amideislas (Post 12868124)
Outdoors it's a bit hit or miss. Some people masked, others not. But there's no mandate to wear masks outdoors, so it's not as if anyone's breaking the law.

Or reason per the scientific evidence so long as one can maintain the seperation. It can be difficult to do that at time busy areas beache promenade etc but then common sense must apply.