Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

What items are compulsory in your car in Spain?

What items are compulsory in your car in Spain?

Old Sep 22nd 2011, 3:13 pm
Forum Regular

emjharts is an unknown quantity at this point
Default What items are compulsory in your car in Spain?

We are moving down to Spain soon and want to make sure that our car contains everything legal. Can someone therefore tell me what things I will need?
I have a GB badge, Hi vis vest, and am about to buy a warning triangle, but do I need 1 or 2? Is there anything else I need? Light reflectors? Spare bulbs?
I know that people get stopped alot in spain so I wouldn't want to end up being fined!
Thanks.
Old Sep 22nd 2011, 3:30 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

fionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: What items are compulsory in your car in Spain?

Originally Posted by emjharts
We are moving down to Spain soon and want to make sure that our car contains everything legal. Can someone therefore tell me what things I will need?
I have a GB badge, Hi vis vest, and am about to buy a warning triangle, but do I need 1 or 2? Is there anything else I need? Light reflectors? Spare bulbs?
I know that people get stopped alot in spain so I wouldn't want to end up being fined!
Thanks.
Hope you get the full sp from someone but to add my two pennorth, you have to wear shoes with backs and full toes (ie not sandals of any description). And you have to have the high vis vest available without getting out of the car. And you have to have all your own paperwork and the car's paperwork with you.
Old Sep 22nd 2011, 3:33 pm
Forum Regular

You can't drive in sandals? thats weird, who is going to wear full on shoes in the blazing summer heat?!!!
Old Sep 22nd 2011, 3:37 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

EsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond repute
Smile Re: What items are compulsory in your car in Spain?

Originally Posted by fionamw
Hope you get the full sp from someone but to add my two pennorth, you have to wear shoes with backs and full toes (ie not sandals of any description). And you have to have the high vis vest available without getting out of the car. And you have to have all your own paperwork and the car's paperwork with you.
There seems to be some debate on shoes if you look round the various sites. As I understand the rules it has to 1 Hi Viz vest for each occupant (1 per seat) available in the car and 2 triangles but I have only ever seen one deployed at an incedent. If you need glasses you have to have to have a spare pair in the car. Also you have to have an immediate first aid kit.
Old Sep 22nd 2011, 3:41 pm
Forum Regular

what about the stickers for my headlights? i know we have had to get them when we have been to france?
Old Sep 22nd 2011, 3:47 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

fionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond repute

what about the stickers for my headlights? i know we have had to get them when we have been to france?
Can't help on that one.

Ref shoes, I can't remember where I saw the bit I mentioned. sorry. On paperwork, someone local recently suggested the need to carry driving licence OR nie (scanned copy of paper type). On foreign plated cars you need driving licence AND passport, apparently. Thankfully I've no experience of this, so I hope it's right.
Old Sep 22nd 2011, 3:51 pm
Forum Regular

bob_day has a reputation beyond reputebob_day has a reputation beyond reputebob_day has a reputation beyond reputebob_day has a reputation beyond reputebob_day has a reputation beyond reputebob_day has a reputation beyond reputebob_day has a reputation beyond reputebob_day has a reputation beyond reputebob_day has a reputation beyond reputebob_day has a reputation beyond reputebob_day has a reputation beyond repute

You will need the stickers for your headlamps, unless they are the type that can be switched from one side to the other,
Old Sep 22nd 2011, 4:15 pm

Domino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks.
I believe one of the most up to date advice is
http://www.theaa.com/motoring_advice...tips/spain.pdf
you also might like to read
http://www.fco.gov.uk/en/travel-and-...ain#roadtravel
where they add to the light bulbs having the tools to change them!!

but I have read that so far as the hi-vis jacket, there should be one per person carried, and should be possible to access and put on before leaving the vehicle. but the last time we had a rental in Spain there was only one in the glove box.

I had to buy 2 sets for different cars and bought all thru Amazon,

hth
regards
Old Sep 22nd 2011, 4:15 pm
Retired and loving it!

snikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by John & Kath
There seems to be some debate on shoes if you look round the various sites. As I understand the rules it has to 1 Hi Viz vest for each occupant (1 per seat) available in the car and 2 triangles but I have only ever seen one deployed at an incedent. If you need glasses you have to have to have a spare pair in the car. Also you have to have an immediate first aid kit.
I don't think that you need a first-aid kit.

I read somewhere that it was 'wrong' to carry one (in any country) unless you were up-to-date with your first-aid training!

Also, don't forget child seats as required.
Old Sep 22nd 2011, 4:35 pm
jdr
RETIRED ;-))

jdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond repute

Headlight deflectors.
Car paperwork, insurance paperwork not required now as they will look it up on their computer.
luminous jacket within easy reach for everyone in the car.
Two triangles.
Child seats or boosters as required if transporting kids.
First aid kit, including surgeons gloves, you are legally required to assist with injured if at a road traffic accident and fit.
Bulb kit no longer required as most now need professional fitting.
Sandles are ok as long as they have a back strap so your foot can`t slip out of them. (95% in Spain drive in all types of sandles)
Old Sep 22nd 2011, 4:50 pm

Fred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jdr
Headlight deflectors.
Car paperwork, insurance paperwork not required now as they will look it up on their computer.
luminous jacket within easy reach for everyone in the car.
Two triangles.
Child seats or boosters as required if transporting kids.
First aid kit, including surgeons gloves, you are legally required to assist with injured if at a road traffic accident and fit.
Bulb kit no longer required as most now need professional fitting.
Sandles are ok as long as they have a back strap so your foot can`t slip out of them. (95% in Spain drive in all types of sandles)
Foreign registered cars still need the insurance paperwork as they will not be on the Spanish database.

First aid kit is not compulsory but only advisable.

Having checked out the various laws about the only things that MUST be carried are 2 triangles and jackets for each passenger and any requisite child seats/bolsters.

Everything else seems to be advisable but not mandatory. That said, the Guardia will make up the rules to suit themselves!

If anyone can point to an official site that gives additional requirements please post it.
Old Sep 22nd 2011, 5:56 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Fredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond repute

The car must be legal in it's country of registration
Old Sep 22nd 2011, 6:09 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

The shoe thing: If you look on
http://www.dgt.es/revista/num149/pages/consejos.html
it says the following:

La ropa. Para conducir, nada mejor que ropa cómoda, calzado que ajuste bien al pie, y nada de chanclas, sandalias sueltas o similares.

But of course those are only 'tips'. Clear as mud!
Old Sep 22nd 2011, 6:20 pm
jdr
RETIRED ;-))

jdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by fionamw
The shoe thing: If you look on
http://www.dgt.es/revista/num149/pages/consejos.html
it says the following:

La ropa. Para conducir, nada mejor que ropa cómoda, calzado que ajuste bien al pie, y nada de chanclas, sandalias sueltas o similares.

But of course those are only 'tips'. Clear as mud!
No flip flops, loose sandals or similar, most people break this law everyday.
Old Sep 22nd 2011, 6:22 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by jdr
No flip flops, loose sandals or similar, most people break this law everyday.
It doesn't seem to be a law. I can only find what I believe to be the case in the UK, namely that you must be completely in control of your vehicle. If a Guardia officer is having a bad day he could equally say your steel toecaps leave you with insufficient sensitivity on the soles of your feet as say flipflops are likely to get caught/your foot slip.
Needs clearing up by proper legislation. Whenever

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.