Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

WHAT GRUB DO YOU MISS MOST?

WHAT GRUB DO YOU MISS MOST?

Old Jul 21st 2007, 1:24 am
Straw Man.

Location: That, there, that's not my post count... nothing to see here, move along.
rugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: WHAT GRUB DO YOU MISS MOST?

Originally Posted by Cornish maid
That's my boy Matt!!!
One of my absolute best things to eat in the world is clotted cream ice cream!

Wonder if I can get it in Spain? If not I'm not coming I tell you!
Old Jul 21st 2007, 1:24 am

crispy will become famous soon enoughcrispy will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by Pam Sarky
Oh and what's wrong with an English tapa bar, if the cook is capable of producing good tapas again what does it matter, or do you mean an English cuisine tapas bar, then maybe I could see the problem there - miniature egg n chip, bean on ritz cracker, sausage n mash (having said that we had tapas yesterday and it was mash potato with slices of fried pork sausage on top and that was from a Spanish bar English tapas has arrive in Chiclana, it was on the menue as chiozo sausage.

Yep, Id have a scotch egg tapas anyday [/QUOTE]

along with a pork pie I bet
Old Jul 21st 2007, 1:26 am

stopping now for lucnh, sliced chorizo on toasted oiled bread topped with qual eggs....Mmmmmmmm Hey that's sausage n egg on toast.
Old Jul 21st 2007, 1:32 am
BE Enthusiast

Location: Up in the mountains outside Cocentaina..and loving it!
Cornish maid has a reputation beyond reputeCornish maid has a reputation beyond reputeCornish maid has a reputation beyond reputeCornish maid has a reputation beyond reputeCornish maid has a reputation beyond reputeCornish maid has a reputation beyond reputeCornish maid has a reputation beyond reputeCornish maid has a reputation beyond reputeCornish maid has a reputation beyond reputeCornish maid has a reputation beyond reputeCornish maid has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by rugbymatt
One of my absolute best things to eat in the world is clotted cream ice cream!

Wonder if I can get it in Spain? If not I'm not coming I tell you!
If not, I will open an ice cream shop just for you!
Attached Files
File Type: doc
ice.doc (31.0 KB, 110 views)
Old Jul 21st 2007, 1:35 am
Straw Man.

Location: That, there, that's not my post count... nothing to see here, move along.
rugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Cornish maid
If not, I will open an ice cream shop just for you!
I am bringing my ice cream maker I think.
Old Jul 21st 2007, 1:53 am
¿Dónde estoy?

lynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by crispygirl
Well I have said it before and I expect I will say it again. Many people come out to Spain to live a better life, some of us are retired and have money to live a comfortable life. Others are younger peeps who still need to work and the reason they have come is to give there kids a better life. Now if you happen to be a butcher in the UK why not use your skills in the new country of your choice.

I use all types of places to get my meat, sometimes in the market, sometimes in a supermarket (prepacked stuff), some times in an independent butchers and in Lidle, good meat to be had there. Now If one of them happens tobe English and he is suppling the best looking meat on the day then that's where I will buy it. The one I use sells SPANISH meat what's the big deal if the man that cuts it and puts in the bag is English, he has the right to earn a living and I want the best value for my money.
As far as the English shop goes, well I have been known to use it when I
can't find things I want in and around this area, like a bottle of HP sauce for my sausage sarnie, Supersol sells it but at a much higher price so it's the English shop for me. I have a Spanish friend who shops quite a bit in the local ES as she loves the choice of frozen food they have, I personally don't buy the frozen food but that's my choice as I much prefer to buy fresh and make meals from scratch.

I think what we have to remember, well I try to keep this in mind, is I am English and yes I wanted a better quality of life and Spain/Portugal is hopefully giving it to me, and I wish any one that wants the same regardless of being retired or making a living every success in achieving just that; and if I can I will try and support them, not by shopping there 24/7 are eating in the Brit restaurants everytime I go out but by having the odd meal there when I fancy something different. Don't hear people knocking Indian and Chinese restaurants to often and at the moment I would say in this area there is a growing number of them.

Oh and what's wrong with an English tapa bar, if the cook is capable of producing good tapas again what does it matter, or do you mean an English cuisine tapas bar, then maybe I could see the problem there - miniature egg n chip, bean on ritz cracker, sausage n mash (having said that we had tapas yesterday and it was mash potato with slices of fried pork sausage on top and that was from a Spanish bar English tapas has arrive in Chiclana, it was on the menue as chiozo sausage.
fair enough - but the only time I went to an english butcher - when we had just arrived - I was totally ripped off!!
Old Jul 21st 2007, 1:59 am

Originally Posted by lynnxa
fair enough - but the only time I went to an english butcher - when we had just arrived - I was totally ripped off!!
Lyn then he was not a decent person, I have stopped using one of the butchers in the local market because everytime I needed one or two euro change he would say I'll give it to you next time......next time never came!! I have not stopped using Spanish butchers, I now buy from another chap and he is always giving me his tasty sausage to try

We have many Brit builders here in this area and the ones I have used I would never us again but the electrician was really good and if need be I will have him quote again for any jobs I need doing.

We use a Spanish chap for our water pump, last time we could not track him down and we were lucky to have some one recommend a Brit chap that could fit us in as an emergency, done a really good job was here about 30 mins and charge us 20 euros. He was around when we needed him and we used him, will still ring Ramon but if he can't do the job we have Darren to fall back on. There are decent peeps everywhere and then there are peeps who take the pi$$, you learn by your mistakes and you don't use them again and certainly don't recommend them to anyone else.

Last edited by crispy; Jul 21st 2007 at 2:10 am.
Old Jul 21st 2007, 2:25 am
Straw Man.

, I now buy from another chap and he is always giving me his tasty sausage to try

Does your future husband know about this arrangement???
Old Jul 21st 2007, 2:46 am

Originally Posted by rugbymatt
Does your future husband know about this arrangement???

Of course, he likes a little bit of something for nothing as well
Old Jul 21st 2007, 9:19 pm
The Best Fed Scot

Lochy is a glorious beacon of lightLochy is a glorious beacon of lightLochy is a glorious beacon of lightLochy is a glorious beacon of lightLochy is a glorious beacon of lightLochy is a glorious beacon of lightLochy is a glorious beacon of lightLochy is a glorious beacon of lightLochy is a glorious beacon of lightLochy is a glorious beacon of lightLochy is a glorious beacon of light

Well I have said it before and I expect I will say it again. Many people come out to Spain to live a better life, some of us are retired and have money to live a comfortable life. Others are younger peeps who still need to work and the reason they have come is to give there kids a better life. Now if you happen to be a butcher in the UK why not use your skills in the new country of your choice.

I use all types of places to get my meat, sometimes in the market, sometimes in a supermarket (prepacked stuff), some times in an independent butchers and in Lidle, good meat to be had there. Now If one of them happens tobe English and he is suppling the best looking meat on the day then that's where I will buy it. The one I use sells SPANISH meat what's the big deal if the man that cuts it and puts in the bag is English, he has the right to earn a living and I want the best value for my money.

As far as the English shop goes, well I have been known to use it when I
can't find things I want in and around this area, like a bottle of HP sauce for my sausage sarnie, Supersol sells it but at a much higher price so it's the English shop for me. I have a Spanish friend who shops quite a bit in the local ES as she loves the choice of frozen food they have, I personally don't buy the frozen food but that's my choice as I much prefer to buy fresh and make meals from scratch.

I think what we have to remember, well I try to keep this in mind, is I am English and yes I wanted a better quality of life and Spain/Portugal is hopefully giving it to me, and I wish any one that wants the same regardless of being retired or making a living every success in achieving just that; and if I can I will try and support them, not by shopping there 24/7 are eating in the Brit restaurants everytime I go out but by having the odd meal there when I fancy something different. Don't hear people knocking Indian and Chinese restaurants to often and at the moment I would say in this area there is a growing number of them.

Thought you were talking about nationality of product, not owner.

And my comment was more to do with whether such a thing was needed rather that whether it was any good, whether someone had a right to do it or whether or not you wanna support that business. I do wonder how much of his business is due to there being a large enough English presence who would just rather deal with an englishman, no matter what quality of produce he is selling.

I assume, however, that the English supermarket is both owned by English people and sells English food to English people. I still wonder what products they are selling which in any way could enhance or add to the kind of food or products you can get there? Is it there because of the poor range of frozen chips and pizzas that you get in Spanish supermarkets? The Brits there must be queuing up! Now a Spanish supermarket in the UK would get my custom.

Point about the tapas bar is that it would in all likelihood be a sub-standard, anglified pastiche of something which is already found there anyway. In the same way that Chinese and Indian restaurants bear little resemblance to the ones found in the country of origin but have been redone for the local market. Like the dreadful tapas bars you find in the UK! And the point about these restaurants is that they are done by people who understand that cuisine, as part of their culture, not by Brits copying it.
Old Jul 21st 2007, 10:06 pm
BE Forum Addict

Location: Finally now living in Lo Marabu, Rojales, and it feels like home
andyrich666 has a reputation beyond reputeandyrich666 has a reputation beyond reputeandyrich666 has a reputation beyond reputeandyrich666 has a reputation beyond reputeandyrich666 has a reputation beyond reputeandyrich666 has a reputation beyond reputeandyrich666 has a reputation beyond reputeandyrich666 has a reputation beyond reputeandyrich666 has a reputation beyond reputeandyrich666 has a reputation beyond reputeandyrich666 has a reputation beyond repute
Question Re: WHAT GRUB DO YOU MISS MOST?

I have been to many Chinese's in many parts of Spain, Id say there is a very big difference in quality in some.

In Jerez I went to an awesome place in the outer part of the town. But also I remember the first night I arrived once there was an absolute awful place near a Irish bar, but it was very cheap for a Town Centre place.

I had a great night n a large Chinese somewhere near Quesada, it was like an Aroma style place. I thought that was good if you asked exactly as you wanted it.

In Puerto de Santa Maria there are a few Chinese, again one was significantly better than the other. I have also seen the Chinese food on the TV in the news about the deals that have been done and the food that has been confiscated.

But I also can imagine it happens in the UK there has been big incidents about similar things.

Anyway on to a reply to the OP.

As a take away food I really would miss Halep Kebab in Spain, Ive noticed kebab places openeing in Spain, mainly in the Costa Brava area's I have been to but they still only do the most basic of dishes.

I went to a Spanish Kebab style takeaway bar in Malgrat once, that was nice and I have never seen anything like it since. Halep unfortunatly was not on the menu.

When I move to Spain soon It will be interesting to see the real difference in cooking food, becuase I have mainly eaten out always. This wont be the case soon however
Old Jul 21st 2007, 10:57 pm
Structural Surveyor

Hillybilly has a reputation beyond reputeHillybilly has a reputation beyond reputeHillybilly has a reputation beyond reputeHillybilly has a reputation beyond reputeHillybilly has a reputation beyond reputeHillybilly has a reputation beyond reputeHillybilly has a reputation beyond reputeHillybilly has a reputation beyond reputeHillybilly has a reputation beyond reputeHillybilly has a reputation beyond reputeHillybilly has a reputation beyond repute

There are kebab takeaways aplenty in the big cities, like Granada.
Old Jul 22nd 2007, 2:39 am
The Best Fed Scot

Lochy is a glorious beacon of lightLochy is a glorious beacon of lightLochy is a glorious beacon of lightLochy is a glorious beacon of lightLochy is a glorious beacon of lightLochy is a glorious beacon of lightLochy is a glorious beacon of lightLochy is a glorious beacon of lightLochy is a glorious beacon of lightLochy is a glorious beacon of lightLochy is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by andyrich666
I have been to many Chinese's in many parts of Spain, Id say there is a very big difference in quality in some.

In Jerez I went to an awesome place in the outer part of the town. But also I remember the first night I arrived once there was an absolute awful place near a Irish bar, but it was very cheap for a Town Centre place.

I had a great night n a large Chinese somewhere near Quesada, it was like an Aroma style place. I thought that was good if you asked exactly as you wanted it.

In Puerto de Santa Maria there are a few Chinese, again one was significantly better than the other. I have also seen the Chinese food on the TV in the news about the deals that have been done and the food that has been confiscated.

But I also can imagine it happens in the UK there has been big incidents about similar things.

Anyway on to a reply to the OP.

As a take away food I really would miss Halep Kebab in Spain, Ive noticed kebab places openeing in Spain, mainly in the Costa Brava area's I have been to but they still only do the most basic of dishes.

I went to a Spanish Kebab style takeaway bar in Malgrat once, that was nice and I have never seen anything like it since. Halep unfortunatly was not on the menu.

When I move to Spain soon It will be interesting to see the real difference in cooking food, becuase I have mainly eaten out always. This wont be the case soon however
Just depressing. What grub do you miss the most? The crappest! The grub I most miss about living in the UK is the crap we buy in the supermarkets and the barely edible fast food.
Old Jul 26th 2007, 12:15 am
Just Joined

livin in the sun is an unknown quantity at this point

:thumbsup good old kfc and propa fish and chips
Old Jul 26th 2007, 12:32 am
jdr
RETIRED ;-))

jdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by livin in the sun
:thumbsup good old kfc and propa fish and chips
Kand Find the Chicken, and battered fish .... yuk

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.