Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

WHAT GRUB DO YOU MISS MOST?

WHAT GRUB DO YOU MISS MOST?

Old Jul 20th 2007, 10:45 pm
Straw Man.

Location: That, there, that's not my post count... nothing to see here, move along.
rugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: WHAT GRUB DO YOU MISS MOST?

Originally Posted by lynnxa
they do eat spanish food - she even cooks 'spanish' food, and they eat in spanish restaurants quite a bit

I think a lot of it is that they first moved over here a looooong time ago, (they have ping ponged a bit) and don't realise how much things have changed/improved over the years.............and the biggest problem is that because they have been here so long they must know best!
I met people out there just like that.

I will never forget sat talking to a couple of Brits who had been living in Spain for about 9 years and talking to them about a small village nearby, and it was very nearby.
I told them about a market I had been to there, they started telling me that the only market in the area was in another village and I must have been confused, it turned into a full blown row with the guy threatening to have me "taken care of" (he said he was connected)

A few weeks late I bumped into them in the market I told them about!!
Old Jul 20th 2007, 10:48 pm
¿Dónde estoy?

lynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by rugbymatt
I met people out there just like that.

I will never forget sat talking to a couple of Brits who had been living in Spain for about 9 years and talking to them about a small village nearby, and it was very nearby.
I told them about a market I had been to there, they started telling me that the only market in the area was in another village and I must have been confused, it turned into a full blown row with the guy threatening to have me "taken care of" (he said he was connected)

A few weeks late I bumped into them in the market I told them about!!
actually they are a lovely couple, but at the moment he is insisting that the main Moors & Christians parade is tonight & won't believe me when I tell him we always go on Sunday and watch the fireworks from the beach - there is a parade tonight, but it's a sort of 'dress rehearsal' and somewhat shorter!
Old Jul 21st 2007, 12:21 am

crispy will become famous soon enoughcrispy will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by jdr
Crispy, stop cutting the tags off the quotes, you`re making them go all do lally. ;-((
but I'm blonde
Old Jul 21st 2007, 12:27 am
BE Enthusiast

Location: Up in the mountains outside Cocentaina..and loving it!
Cornish maid has a reputation beyond reputeCornish maid has a reputation beyond reputeCornish maid has a reputation beyond reputeCornish maid has a reputation beyond reputeCornish maid has a reputation beyond reputeCornish maid has a reputation beyond reputeCornish maid has a reputation beyond reputeCornish maid has a reputation beyond reputeCornish maid has a reputation beyond reputeCornish maid has a reputation beyond reputeCornish maid has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by crispygirl
but I'm blonde
Just for you Crispygirl!!!
Attached Images  
Old Jul 21st 2007, 12:30 am
BE Enthusiast

sarahchirles has a reputation beyond reputesarahchirles has a reputation beyond reputesarahchirles has a reputation beyond reputesarahchirles has a reputation beyond reputesarahchirles has a reputation beyond reputesarahchirles has a reputation beyond reputesarahchirles has a reputation beyond reputesarahchirles has a reputation beyond reputesarahchirles has a reputation beyond reputesarahchirles has a reputation beyond reputesarahchirles has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Lochy
As anyone in spain still brave enough to eat at a chinese restaurant after all the reports from the last couple of months!!??
Oh... Chinese food, practically my staple diet for a meal out. Cheap and cheerful and bottles of wine thrown in for free. Dont put me off now.
Old Jul 21st 2007, 12:32 am
BE Enthusiast

Cornish maid has a reputation beyond reputeCornish maid has a reputation beyond reputeCornish maid has a reputation beyond reputeCornish maid has a reputation beyond reputeCornish maid has a reputation beyond reputeCornish maid has a reputation beyond reputeCornish maid has a reputation beyond reputeCornish maid has a reputation beyond reputeCornish maid has a reputation beyond reputeCornish maid has a reputation beyond reputeCornish maid has a reputation beyond repute

but I'm blonde
meet crispy's sister!!
Attached Thumbnails WHAT GRUB DO YOU MISS MOST?-1_ugly_people.jpg  
Old Jul 21st 2007, 1:01 am

Originally Posted by Lochy
English butchers!? English supermarkets!!?? Of all the things you surely don't need in spain surely these are it!! WHat next, and English tapas bar?

Well I have said it before and I expect I will say it again. Many people come out to Spain to live a better life, some of us are retired and have money to live a comfortable life. Others are younger peeps who still need to work and the reason they have come is to give there kids a better life. Now if you happen to be a butcher in the UK why not use your skills in the new country of your choice.

I use all types of places to get my meat, sometimes in the market, sometimes in a supermarket (prepacked stuff), some times in an independent butchers and in Lidle, good meat to be had there. Now If one of them happens tobe English and he is suppling the best looking meat on the day then that's where I will buy it. The one I use sells SPANISH meat what's the big deal if the man that cuts it and puts in the bag is English, he has the right to earn a living and I want the best value for my money.

As far as the English shop goes, well I have been known to use it when I
can't find things I want in and around this area, like a bottle of HP sauce for my sausage sarnie, Supersol sells it but at a much higher price so it's the English shop for me. I have a Spanish friend who shops quite a bit in the local ES as she loves the choice of frozen food they have, I personally don't buy the frozen food but that's my choice as I much prefer to buy fresh and make meals from scratch.

I think what we have to remember, well I try to keep this in mind, is I am English and yes I wanted a better quality of life and Spain/Portugal is hopefully giving it to me, and I wish any one that wants the same regardless of being retired or making a living every success in achieving just that; and if I can I will try and support them, not by shopping there 24/7 are eating in the Brit restaurants everytime I go out but by having the odd meal there when I fancy something different. Don't hear people knocking Indian and Chinese restaurants to often and at the moment I would say in this area there is a growing number of them.

Oh and what's wrong with an English tapa bar, if the cook is capable of producing good tapas again what does it matter, or do you mean an English cuisine tapas bar, then maybe I could see the problem there - miniature egg n chip, bean on ritz cracker, sausage n mash (having said that we had tapas yesterday and it was mash potato with slices of fried pork sausage on top and that was from a Spanish bar English tapas has arrive in Chiclana, it was on the menue as chiozo sausage.

Last edited by jdr; Jul 21st 2007 at 1:07 am.
Old Jul 21st 2007, 1:03 am

Originally Posted by Cornish maid
Just for you Crispygirl!!!
Hey Sally, don't even go there.........
Old Jul 21st 2007, 1:03 am
Straw Man.

Location: That, there, that's not my post count... nothing to see here, move along.
rugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond repute

meet crispy's sister!!
She is gonna be so happy about that!!
Old Jul 21st 2007, 1:08 am

meet crispy's sister!!

omg that's is really a dreadful picture, it makes me fill really sick just to look at it.
Old Jul 21st 2007, 1:12 am
Straw Man.

following the vein of this thread I have decided to boycott all restaurants in the UK, and never to buy anything except suet, clotted cream and beef......
Old Jul 21st 2007, 1:15 am

following the vein of this thread I have decided to boycott all restaurants in the UK, and never to buy anything except suet, clotted cream and beef......

Matt, sometimes, just sometimes you are a little honeypot and I luv you dearly
Old Jul 21st 2007, 1:18 am
Straw Man.

Matt, sometimes, just sometimes you are a little honeypot and I luv you dearly
I'm touched....
Old Jul 21st 2007, 1:20 am

Pam Sarky is an unknown quantity at this point

Oh and what's wrong with an English tapa bar, if the cook is capable of producing good tapas again what does it matter, or do you mean an English cuisine tapas bar, then maybe I could see the problem there - miniature egg n chip, bean on ritz cracker, sausage n mash (having said that we had tapas yesterday and it was mash potato with slices of fried pork sausage on top and that was from a Spanish bar English tapas has arrive in Chiclana, it was on the menue as chiozo sausage.[/QUOTE]

Yep, Id have a scotch egg tapas anyday
Old Jul 21st 2007, 1:23 am
BE Enthusiast

That's my boy Matt!!!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.