Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

WHAT GRUB DO YOU MISS MOST?

WHAT GRUB DO YOU MISS MOST?

Old Jul 20th 2007, 4:08 am

crispy will become famous soon enoughcrispy will become famous soon enough
Default Re: WHAT GRUB DO YOU MISS MOST?

[QUOTE=Lochy;5081246]
I would have said that cakes etc was one of the things that were particularly much better here than in the UK. And find the exact opposite, everything in the UK too sweet and sickly and cheap and here they are much tastier, with better quality ingredients and much more diversity.

Sorry Lochy going to have to disagree about the cakes, there's nothing like a proper doughnut filled either with Jam, or cream, then there's iced buns, rock cakes, cream slices. eclairs the list just goes on and on. After I've eaten a Spanish cake I just fill as if I've eaten nothing I have even resorted to baking by own, then I'm on a mission to find clotted cream (lucky local shop has it sometimes) I just love freshly baked scones with jam and clotted cream. What do you think Cornishmaid? I bet you agree
Old Jul 20th 2007, 4:12 am
The Best Fed Scot

Lochy is a glorious beacon of lightLochy is a glorious beacon of lightLochy is a glorious beacon of lightLochy is a glorious beacon of lightLochy is a glorious beacon of lightLochy is a glorious beacon of lightLochy is a glorious beacon of lightLochy is a glorious beacon of lightLochy is a glorious beacon of lightLochy is a glorious beacon of lightLochy is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by squelch
Whywhat reports have there been about chinese restaurants?
Various reports over the last few months. Vans from China smuggling produce destined for Chinese restaurants to avoid going through quality and hygiene checks. They caught some recently, and all the produce was burned.

There have also been various reports on the poor sanitary conditions of animals on farms which supply Chinese restaurants in Spain – e.g. drinking sewage, being so pumped full of chemicals that the milk they produce is undrinkable and can’t even be used for yoghurt or cheese, being brought up in areas with high levels of toxins, lead etc.

How do you think they produce set menus for 7 euros?
Old Jul 20th 2007, 4:14 am
Banned

Big Pete has a reputation beyond reputeBig Pete has a reputation beyond reputeBig Pete has a reputation beyond reputeBig Pete has a reputation beyond reputeBig Pete has a reputation beyond reputeBig Pete has a reputation beyond reputeBig Pete has a reputation beyond reputeBig Pete has a reputation beyond reputeBig Pete has a reputation beyond reputeBig Pete has a reputation beyond reputeBig Pete has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Lochy
Various reports over the last few months. Vans from China smuggling produce destined for Chinese restaurants to avoid going through quality and hygiene checks. They caught some recently, and all the produce was burned.

There have also been various reports on the poor sanitary conditions of animals on farms which supply Chinese restaurants in Spain – e.g. drinking sewage, being so pumped full of chemicals that the milk they produce is undrinkable and can’t even be used for yoghurt or cheese, being brought up in areas with high levels of toxins, lead etc.

How do you think they produce set menus for 7 euros?
phewwww lucky mine cost 8 euros
Old Jul 20th 2007, 4:15 am
The Best Fed Scot

Lochy is a glorious beacon of lightLochy is a glorious beacon of lightLochy is a glorious beacon of lightLochy is a glorious beacon of lightLochy is a glorious beacon of lightLochy is a glorious beacon of lightLochy is a glorious beacon of lightLochy is a glorious beacon of lightLochy is a glorious beacon of lightLochy is a glorious beacon of lightLochy is a glorious beacon of light

[QUOTE=crispygirl;5083389]
I would have said that cakes etc was one of the things that were particularly much better here than in the UK. And find the exact opposite, everything in the UK too sweet and sickly and cheap and here they are much tastier, with better quality ingredients and much more diversity.

Sorry Lochy going to have to disagree about the cakes, there's nothing like a proper doughnut filled either with Jam, or cream, then there's iced buns, rock cakes, cream slices. eclairs the list just goes on and on. After I've eaten a Spanish cake I just fill as if I've eaten nothing I have even resorted to baking by own, then I'm on a mission to find clotted cream (lucky local shop has it sometimes) I just love freshly baked scones with jam and clotted cream. What do you think Cornishmaid? I bet you agree
Not disagreeing, just have had the exact opposite experience. The pastrys and cakes you buy here are 100 times better than you get in the UK.
Old Jul 20th 2007, 4:16 am
The Best Fed Scot

Originally Posted by Big Pete
phewwww lucky mine cost 8 euros
Lucky escape!!! For 8 euros it all must be tip top quality!
Old Jul 20th 2007, 4:20 am

crispy will become famous soon enoughcrispy will become famous soon enough

[QUOTE=Lochy;5083435]
Originally Posted by crispygirl
Not disagreeing, just have had the exact opposite experience. The pastrys and cakes you buy here are 100 times better than you get in the UK.

Lochy, Lochy, looky looky at my chubby smiling face it just sings out loud to you "this lady loves her cream cakes".

Oh I do like the chocloate cream cake from murkydonna, must say you can eat tons of that and not fill full up, goes down a treat with ice-cream as well and little single cream over that
Old Jul 20th 2007, 4:21 am
BE Forum Addict

SueG has a reputation beyond reputeSueG has a reputation beyond reputeSueG has a reputation beyond reputeSueG has a reputation beyond reputeSueG has a reputation beyond reputeSueG has a reputation beyond reputeSueG has a reputation beyond reputeSueG has a reputation beyond reputeSueG has a reputation beyond reputeSueG has a reputation beyond reputeSueG has a reputation beyond repute

"How do you think they produce set menus for 7 euros?"

Cor!! That's expensive only €4.50 in one place in Benidorm. Packed every night - needless to say only English people in there.
Old Jul 20th 2007, 4:37 am
BE Enthusiast

Location: Up in the mountains outside Cocentaina..and loving it!
Cornish maid has a reputation beyond reputeCornish maid has a reputation beyond reputeCornish maid has a reputation beyond reputeCornish maid has a reputation beyond reputeCornish maid has a reputation beyond reputeCornish maid has a reputation beyond reputeCornish maid has a reputation beyond reputeCornish maid has a reputation beyond reputeCornish maid has a reputation beyond reputeCornish maid has a reputation beyond reputeCornish maid has a reputation beyond repute

[QUOTE=crispygirl;5083389]

sorry, I wasn't aware there was any other kind of cream available?
You can get clotted cream delivered to you straight from the producers. They even ship it abroad! No advertising intended mods!
Old Jul 20th 2007, 4:50 am
Forum Regular

squelch has a spectacular aura aboutsquelch has a spectacular aura aboutsquelch has a spectacular aura about

Uggh!!!!!!!!!! I'll think twice before eating chinese, I did go to a lovely chinese restaurant last week in VillaJoyosa, was'nt cheap (although not too dear either) so hopefully that means the produce was sanitary, was very tasty
Old Jul 20th 2007, 4:53 am

Rosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond repute

[QUOTE=Cornish maid;5083563]
Originally Posted by crispygirl

sorry, I wasn't aware there was any other kind of cream available?
You can get clotted cream delivered to you straight from the producers. They even ship it abroad! No advertising intended mods!
The English supermarket in Javea sells bottled Devon Clotted Cream.

Rosemary
Old Jul 20th 2007, 4:54 am
Straw Man.

Location: That, there, that's not my post count... nothing to see here, move along.
rugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond repute

[QUOTE=The Oddities;5083637]
Originally Posted by Cornish maid

The English supermarket in Javea sells bottled Devon Clotted Cream.

Rosemary
Have you put yourself on the map?
Old Jul 20th 2007, 4:57 am

Rosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond repute

[QUOTE=rugbymatt;5083640]
Originally Posted by The Oddities

Have you put yourself on the map?
Not yet because of the need to put on the e-mail address as we do not want the crap that gets sent out to people.

Rosemary
Old Jul 20th 2007, 5:06 am
Straw Man.

Location: That, there, that's not my post count... nothing to see here, move along.
rugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond repute

[QUOTE=The Oddities;5083657]
Originally Posted by rugbymatt

Not yet because of the need to put on the e-mail address as we do not want the crap that gets sent out to people.

Rosemary
I promise you don't get a thing, I have had no rise in junk mail since I signed up.
Old Jul 20th 2007, 5:09 am

Pam Sarky is an unknown quantity at this point

[QUOTE=rugbymatt;5083728]
Originally Posted by The Oddities

I promise you don't get a thing, I have had no rise in junk mail since I signed up.
Me neither
Old Jul 20th 2007, 5:11 am

Pam Sarky is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by SueG
"How do you think they produce set menus for 7 euros?"

Cor!! That's expensive only €4.50 in one place in Benidorm. Packed every night - needless to say only English people in there.
They can probably do it cheaper due to you eating all the stray cats and dogs, not forgetting the odd rat

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.