Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

WHAT GRUB DO YOU MISS MOST?

WHAT GRUB DO YOU MISS MOST?

Old Jul 20th 2007, 12:01 am
  #31  
MnM
luna~sea..its a lifestyle
 
MnM's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2007
Location: Getting In Touch With My Dysfunctional Side...
Posts: 1,926
MnM has a reputation beyond reputeMnM has a reputation beyond reputeMnM has a reputation beyond reputeMnM has a reputation beyond reputeMnM has a reputation beyond reputeMnM has a reputation beyond reputeMnM has a reputation beyond reputeMnM has a reputation beyond reputeMnM has a reputation beyond reputeMnM has a reputation beyond reputeMnM has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: WHAT GRUB DO YOU MISS MOST?

Originally Posted by Lochy
Surprised by practically all of these responses so far!!

And with all the delicious various cuts of pork you have here, how can you miss rubbery horrible gammon steaks?
Hi Lochy,

I agree that here in Spain you can get some great bits of meat, whether it be pork, beef or lamb, BUT fresh gammon steak just happens to be one of my favourites......and I can't find it here so therefore do miss it. I don't really care whether you think it's rubbery or not....
MnM is offline  
Old Jul 20th 2007, 12:23 am
  #32  
The Best Fed Scot
 
Lochy's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2007
Location: San Sebastian
Posts: 565
Lochy is a glorious beacon of lightLochy is a glorious beacon of lightLochy is a glorious beacon of lightLochy is a glorious beacon of lightLochy is a glorious beacon of lightLochy is a glorious beacon of lightLochy is a glorious beacon of lightLochy is a glorious beacon of lightLochy is a glorious beacon of lightLochy is a glorious beacon of lightLochy is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: WHAT GRUB DO YOU MISS MOST?

Originally Posted by MnM
Hi Lochy,

I agree that here in Spain you can get some great bits of meat, whether it be pork, beef or lamb, BUT fresh gammon steak just happens to be one of my favourites......and I can't find it here so therefore do miss it. I don't really care whether you think it's rubbery or not....
You should be able to get it though, just ask the butcher. He'll cut it for you, gammon is just a certain cut of pork after all.

Oh, and I don't care, if you don't care that I don't care for gammon.
Lochy is offline  
Old Jul 20th 2007, 12:37 am
  #33  
MnM
luna~sea..its a lifestyle
 
MnM's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2007
Location: Getting In Touch With My Dysfunctional Side...
Posts: 1,926
MnM has a reputation beyond reputeMnM has a reputation beyond reputeMnM has a reputation beyond reputeMnM has a reputation beyond reputeMnM has a reputation beyond reputeMnM has a reputation beyond reputeMnM has a reputation beyond reputeMnM has a reputation beyond reputeMnM has a reputation beyond reputeMnM has a reputation beyond reputeMnM has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: WHAT GRUB DO YOU MISS MOST?

Originally Posted by Lochy
You should be able to get it though, just ask the butcher. He'll cut it for you, gammon is just a certain cut of pork after all.

Oh, and I don't care, if you don't care that I don't care for gammon.
Well, it's settled then.....we'll just agree to disagree where gammon is concerned

I have tried your suggestion and bought some "supposed" gammon from an English butcher in Moraira. It was absolute rubbish and we paid a fortune for it as well. I think it has to do with the way it's cured or smoked or something like that....not really sure, just know that next time I'll wait till I'm in the UK.
MnM is offline  
Old Jul 20th 2007, 12:40 am
  #34  
The Best Fed Scot
 
Lochy's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2007
Location: San Sebastian
Posts: 565
Lochy is a glorious beacon of lightLochy is a glorious beacon of lightLochy is a glorious beacon of lightLochy is a glorious beacon of lightLochy is a glorious beacon of lightLochy is a glorious beacon of lightLochy is a glorious beacon of lightLochy is a glorious beacon of lightLochy is a glorious beacon of lightLochy is a glorious beacon of lightLochy is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: WHAT GRUB DO YOU MISS MOST?

Originally Posted by MnM
Well, it's settled then.....we'll just agree to disagree where gammon is concerned

I have tried your suggestion and bought some "supposed" gammon from an English butcher in Moraira. It was absolute rubbish and we paid a fortune for it as well. I think it has to do with the way it's cured or smoked or something like that....not really sure, just know that next time I'll wait till I'm in the UK.
Try a Spanish butcher...?
Lochy is offline  
Old Jul 20th 2007, 2:28 am
  #35  
 
anabella's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2006
Location: Aspen, CO
Posts: 9,845
anabella has a reputation beyond reputeanabella has a reputation beyond reputeanabella has a reputation beyond reputeanabella has a reputation beyond reputeanabella has a reputation beyond reputeanabella has a reputation beyond reputeanabella has a reputation beyond reputeanabella has a reputation beyond reputeanabella has a reputation beyond reputeanabella has a reputation beyond reputeanabella has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: WHAT GRUB DO YOU MISS MOST?

Originally Posted by Fred James
Silly me! Fancy me thinking that this forum was about living in Spain! Doh!

I didn't mean to confuse you but I see that Martha explained where I am.. I lived in England for 11 years and those are the foods I miss. If I was back in Spain I would still miss those as they wouldn't be available in my area (Valladolid/Leon)..
anabella is offline  
Old Jul 20th 2007, 2:40 am
  #36  
 
Fred James's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2006
Location: Granada Costa
Posts: 10,931
Fred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: WHAT GRUB DO YOU MISS MOST?

Originally Posted by Lochy
I'll need to check for that one then! My dictionary translates haddock as abadejo (eng to spa) and abadejo as pollock (spa to eng)! Wikipedia also says eglefino is known as haddock in England. Although it also says that eglefino is not to be mistaken as abadejo which is haddock!

Any idea how I tell the difference?
Getting fish names right is well outside the scope of normal dictionaries.
I have spent about 6 years sailing around France, Spain and the most of the countreies in the Med and have always used a book By Alan Davidson as the "Fish Bible". He is a well renowned culinary writer and has written two excellent books on the subject with the local names of the fish in all the relevant languages which are both considered to be the definitive guides to fish. There is one which covers Mediterranean fish and another which covers North Atlantic fish.

In both he describes Pollack as Abadejo in Spanish. The proper name is Pollachius pollachius - in Icelandic (you really wanted to know that!) it is Lyr.

Haddock is Melanogrammus aeglefinus which is Htsa in Faroese (I said it was a definitive book).

How do you tell the difference? Well Pollock has a fairly well marked body but Haddock is plainer with a distinctive black line along the body. You have to scrape off the batter to see it!

I can only assume that the Spanish fishing fleet catches Haddock but lands it in the UK where it is very popular.

When I go to the UK for a few days every year I always bring back about 5 kilos frozen into a large box which, so far, has survived the flight in my checked luggage. If I ever lose the luggage that could become a very smeely problem!

Finding Haddock in Spain is becoming a bit of a "Grail Quest" for me. I am sure someone out there knows the answer!
Fred James is offline  
Old Jul 20th 2007, 2:47 am
  #37  
 
Fred James's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2006
Location: Granada Costa
Posts: 10,931
Fred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: WHAT GRUB DO YOU MISS MOST?

Originally Posted by Lochy
, gammon is just a certain cut of pork after all.
Almost, gammon is a cut of cured pork, ie bacon. It is the top of the leg.

A ham is different again in that it is separated from the rest of the carcass and cured/smoked separated.

The reason why gammon or back bacon is rare in Spain is that they only cure part of the pig - usually the streaky/belly area.

In northern Europe they cure the whole side of the animal and there is therefore a greater choice of cuts including the gammon.
Fred James is offline  
Old Jul 20th 2007, 2:58 am
  #38  
 
Fred James's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2006
Location: Granada Costa
Posts: 10,931
Fred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: WHAT GRUB DO YOU MISS MOST?

Originally Posted by anabella
I didn't mean to confuse you but I see that Martha explained where I am.. I lived in England for 11 years and those are the foods I miss. If I was back in Spain I would still miss those as they wouldn't be available in my area (Valladolid/Leon)..
I can see your point.

I must say that most of the "Sunday Roasts" I have tried in Spain are a far cry from what you would expect in the UK. But then beef and lamb in Spain are definitely inferior to British varieties - its the way they grow them!

Indian food? Well in most parts of Spain it is on a par with what you would have had in the UK 30 years ago - not a good comparison but there are a few (very few) exceptions.

Bacon? Well that has certainly inproved recently. There has always been lots of good streaky but now you can buy imported back bacon and some of the smoked ones are really good.

At least, in the US, you are usually lucky enough to get really good Chinese food - again something that is lacking here in Spain - although it is definitely improving.
Fred James is offline  
Old Jul 20th 2007, 3:04 am
  #39  
 
Fred James's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2006
Location: Granada Costa
Posts: 10,931
Fred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: WHAT GRUB DO YOU MISS MOST?

Originally Posted by Lochy
The carrefour here has a medium strength irish cheddar which is ok. .
Good cheddar is slowly creeping in - if only because the Spanish have discovered a taste for it.

There is a lot of Pilgrims Choice Mature Cheddar around and recently I have bought Pilgrims Choice Mature Farmhouse.

For imported cheeses they are well priced.

Personally I think that a good mature cheddar beats any of the Spanish hard cheeses.

The Spanish blue cheeses, on the other hand, are world beaters!
Fred James is offline  
Old Jul 20th 2007, 3:22 am
  #40  
The Best Fed Scot
 
Lochy's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2007
Location: San Sebastian
Posts: 565
Lochy is a glorious beacon of lightLochy is a glorious beacon of lightLochy is a glorious beacon of lightLochy is a glorious beacon of lightLochy is a glorious beacon of lightLochy is a glorious beacon of lightLochy is a glorious beacon of lightLochy is a glorious beacon of lightLochy is a glorious beacon of lightLochy is a glorious beacon of lightLochy is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: WHAT GRUB DO YOU MISS MOST?

Originally Posted by Fred James
Getting fish names right is well outside the scope of normal dictionaries.
I have spent about 6 years sailing around France, Spain and the most of the countreies in the Med and have always used a book By Alan Davidson as the "Fish Bible". He is a well renowned culinary writer and has written two excellent books on the subject with the local names of the fish in all the relevant languages which are both considered to be the definitive guides to fish. There is one which covers Mediterranean fish and another which covers North Atlantic fish.

In both he describes Pollack as Abadejo in Spanish. The proper name is Pollachius pollachius - in Icelandic (you really wanted to know that!) it is Lyr.

Haddock is Melanogrammus aeglefinus which is Htsa in Faroese (I said it was a definitive book).

How do you tell the difference? Well Pollock has a fairly well marked body but Haddock is plainer with a distinctive black line along the body. You have to scrape off the batter to see it!

I can only assume that the Spanish fishing fleet catches Haddock but lands it in the UK where it is very popular.

When I go to the UK for a few days every year I always bring back about 5 kilos frozen into a large box which, so far, has survived the flight in my checked luggage. If I ever lose the luggage that could become a very smeely problem!

Finding Haddock in Spain is becoming a bit of a "Grail Quest" for me. I am sure someone out there knows the answer!
Getting names right is well outside the scope of most recipe books I've read. The mistakes you see in any book talking of spanish cuisine, culture etc are frightening. If you find someone you know knows what they're talking about the it's a real find.

Ok, so, Haddock is Eglefino and Pollock is Abadejo. Is there any noticeable difference when eaten? I've eaten haddock in the Uk and abadejo here and I'd say they were so similar in texture, look and taste as to be indistinguishable.

Abadejo is very common in this part of the country.
Lochy is offline  
Old Jul 20th 2007, 3:35 am
  #41  
The Best Fed Scot
 
Lochy's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2007
Location: San Sebastian
Posts: 565
Lochy is a glorious beacon of lightLochy is a glorious beacon of lightLochy is a glorious beacon of lightLochy is a glorious beacon of lightLochy is a glorious beacon of lightLochy is a glorious beacon of lightLochy is a glorious beacon of lightLochy is a glorious beacon of lightLochy is a glorious beacon of lightLochy is a glorious beacon of lightLochy is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: WHAT GRUB DO YOU MISS MOST?

Originally Posted by Fred James

At least, in the US, you are usually lucky enough to get really good Chinese food - again something that is lacking here in Spain - although it is definitely improving.
As anyone in spain still brave enough to eat at a chinese restaurant after all the reports from the last couple of months!!??
Lochy is offline  
Old Jul 20th 2007, 3:47 am
  #42  
 
Fred James's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2006
Location: Granada Costa
Posts: 10,931
Fred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: WHAT GRUB DO YOU MISS MOST?

Originally Posted by Lochy
Abadejo is very common in this part of the country.
It certainly isn't down south - probably because you have the advantage of living on the Atlantic coast with many fishing ports.

If I ever find it I will try it and let you know what I think of it.

We do have the "advantage" of many imported fish varieties - notably Rosado which is a sea eel from South America or the Cape, Perca which comes from the upper Nile in Tanzania, Panga from Vietnam and lately "sole" fillets which are actually Vietnamese Catfish.

We also have Dorada and Lubina (Bream and Sea Bass) which are either farmed locally or imported from fish farms in Greece.

Almost all the "prawns" are imported frozen from the Far East at very good prices. The local small prawns can cost over 60€ a kilo and up to 100€ at Xmas!
Fred James is offline  
Old Jul 20th 2007, 3:53 am
  #43  
 
Joined: May 2004
Posts: 3,254
Pam Sarky is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: WHAT GRUB DO YOU MISS MOST?

I miss luncheon tongue and warburtons medium white sliced bread Also miss scotch eggs and pork pies.
Pam Sarky is offline  
Old Jul 20th 2007, 3:53 am
  #44  
Forum Regular
Thread Starter
 
squelch's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2007
Location: kent, but only for the next week!!
Posts: 140
squelch has a spectacular aura aboutsquelch has a spectacular aura aboutsquelch has a spectacular aura about
Default Re: WHAT GRUB DO YOU MISS MOST?

Whywhat reports have there been about chinese restaurants?
squelch is offline  
Old Jul 20th 2007, 4:03 am
  #45  
Banned
 
Joined: Feb 2007
Location: Hoping to get away from UK to Spain
Posts: 1,826
Big Pete has a reputation beyond reputeBig Pete has a reputation beyond reputeBig Pete has a reputation beyond reputeBig Pete has a reputation beyond reputeBig Pete has a reputation beyond reputeBig Pete has a reputation beyond reputeBig Pete has a reputation beyond reputeBig Pete has a reputation beyond reputeBig Pete has a reputation beyond reputeBig Pete has a reputation beyond reputeBig Pete has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: WHAT GRUB DO YOU MISS MOST?

Originally Posted by Lochy
As anyone in spain still brave enough to eat at a chinese restaurant after all the reports from the last couple of months!!??
In Alcudia Mallorca , there is a Chinese that you pay 8 euros !! And you help yourself to whatever ..

At first i thought hmmmmm Chinese could be risky

But as it seemed busy last few nights i had been by it i reckoned maybe its good ??

Anyways down we sat and i have to say the food was as good as English ones and most impressed

Highly reccomend it i do , no wonder it was busy ..


Also went to this massive store called " Alcampa" hmmm or something similar anyways.
What a brilliant place has like a mall type area as you go in with flashy clothes and food eating places etc, and smoking areas Then you go through to the Store itself ,
everything from Motor Scooters to Tropical Fish , on the goods side .
On the food side everything you could ever need ,and stuff i have never seen ,which i am looking forward to trying even Chedder Cheese so being honest i know when i am there will eat like a king
And not miss a single thing .
Big Pete is offline  

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.