Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

WHAT GRUB DO YOU MISS MOST?

WHAT GRUB DO YOU MISS MOST?

Old Jul 19th 2007, 7:46 pm

Fred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: WHAT GRUB DO YOU MISS MOST?

Originally Posted by Lochy
Really weird, I get haddock (abadejo?) all the time with no problems.
Abadejo is not haddock - it's Pollock. Haddock is Eglefino (Engelfin in France).

Pollock is the same family as Haddock and is found as far south as Spain. It's a very similar fish but in the UK it's reserved for the cats as it's not one of the Holy Trinity of UK fish - Cod Haddock and Plaice!!
Old Jul 19th 2007, 7:59 pm
Forum Regular

squelch has a spectacular aura aboutsquelch has a spectacular aura aboutsquelch has a spectacular aura about

Hi all, yes I did mean what food do you miss now you are in Spain. I am hoping to open a shop that will sell spanish and english food amongst a few others bits and bobs and wondered what people miss the most.
Old Jul 19th 2007, 8:41 pm
Forum Regular

tallbob is just really nicetallbob is just really nicetallbob is just really nicetallbob is just really nicetallbob is just really nicetallbob is just really nicetallbob is just really nicetallbob is just really nicetallbob is just really nice

I was in Bolnuevo near Mazarron last year and I remembered a place that had been mentioned on the radio as doing nice fish and chips, they were lovely on enquiring I found out they imported the fish from Grimsby and the cooks father was a guy I played cricket with at Selby
my son came out early this year to take part in the marathon at Sevilla and he was bringing me a huge pot of Marmite but it was in his hand baggage and it got taken off him, so in answering the question Marmite
Old Jul 19th 2007, 9:35 pm
The Best Fed Scot

Lochy is a glorious beacon of lightLochy is a glorious beacon of lightLochy is a glorious beacon of lightLochy is a glorious beacon of lightLochy is a glorious beacon of lightLochy is a glorious beacon of lightLochy is a glorious beacon of lightLochy is a glorious beacon of lightLochy is a glorious beacon of lightLochy is a glorious beacon of lightLochy is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by squelch
Hi all, yes I did mean what food do you miss now you are in Spain. I am hoping to open a shop that will sell spanish and english food amongst a few others bits and bobs and wondered what people miss the most.
I'll need to check for that one then! My dictionary translates haddock as abadejo (eng to spa) and abadejo as pollock (spa to eng)! Wikipedia also says eglefino is known as haddock in England. Although it also says that eglefino is not to be mistaken as abadejo which is haddock!

Any idea how I tell the difference?
Old Jul 19th 2007, 9:36 pm
The Best Fed Scot

Lochy is a glorious beacon of lightLochy is a glorious beacon of lightLochy is a glorious beacon of lightLochy is a glorious beacon of lightLochy is a glorious beacon of lightLochy is a glorious beacon of lightLochy is a glorious beacon of lightLochy is a glorious beacon of lightLochy is a glorious beacon of lightLochy is a glorious beacon of lightLochy is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by squelch
Mature Chedder Cheese - flavour strength 5 type.
Old Jul 19th 2007, 9:37 pm
Straw Man.

Location: That, there, that's not my post count... nothing to see here, move along.
rugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by big wheels
WHAT "GRUB" DO YOU MISS MOST?

Maggotts. You just can't buy them here.
leave a bit of dead flesh out, it should help...
Old Jul 19th 2007, 10:13 pm

Rosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond repute

I'll need to check for that one then! My dictionary translates haddock as abadejo (eng to spa) and abadejo as pollock (spa to eng)! Wikipedia also says eglefino is known as haddock in England. Although it also says that eglefino is not to be mistaken as abadejo which is haddock!

Any idea how I tell the difference?
According to our huge Oxford Spanish/English Dictionary under Haddock it says:

Zoological - eglefino.
Cullinary - abadejo.
Smoked - abedejo ahumado

Rosemary
Old Jul 19th 2007, 10:31 pm
The Best Fed Scot

Originally Posted by The Oddities
According to our huge Oxford Spanish/English Dictionary under Haddock it says:

Zoological - eglefino.
Cullinary - abadejo.
Smoked - abedejo ahumado

Rosemary
Yeah, think that's the one I have. Now look up Abadejo!!
Old Jul 19th 2007, 11:11 pm

Rosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond repute

Yeah, think that's the one I have. Now look up Abadejo!!
Yes, just did, and guess what it does not even say pollock it says pollack.

Good for a laugh these dictionaries!!!!

Rosemary
Old Jul 19th 2007, 11:18 pm
The Best Fed Scot

Originally Posted by The Oddities
Yes, just did, and guess what it does not even say pollock it says pollack.

Good for a laugh these dictionaries!!!!

Rosemary
Fantastic, aren't they. You then look up pollock or pollack in the english bit and ... it's not there!!
Old Jul 19th 2007, 11:28 pm
Senior Moment

Mitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond repute

Mature Chedder Cheese - flavour strength 5 type.
Carrefour ... I don't know if it tastes better than the UK or if its just that I haven't had really tasty cheese for a while
Old Jul 19th 2007, 11:42 pm
The Best Fed Scot

Originally Posted by Mitzyboy
Carrefour ... I don't know if it tastes better than the UK or if its just that I haven't had really tasty cheese for a while
The carrefour here has a medium strength irish cheddar which is ok. Not as good I would have said but maybe it varies between regions. And having said that, cheeses here are generally much better, much wider range etc. I bought some stilton, gorgonzola, bavarian smoked and others in Asda last time i was over and I couldn't believe how awful it was. So industrial tasting - i used to guzzle the stuff.
Old Jul 19th 2007, 11:43 pm
Senior Moment

Mitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond repute

The carrefour here has a medium strength irish cheddar which is ok. Not as good I would have said but maybe it varies between regions. And having said that, cheeses here are generally much better, much wider range etc. I bought some stilton, gorgonzola, bavarian smoked and others in Asda last time i was over and I couldn't believe how awful it was. So industrial tasting - i used to guzzle the stuff.
Its not good for you, you know. I started eating low fat cheese but it was so cack I was back on the mature chedder very soon. I'm a cheese junky
Old Jul 19th 2007, 11:45 pm

glad 2 b back is an unknown quantity at this point

Its not good for you, you know. I started eating low fat cheese but it was so cack I was back on the mature chedder very soon. I'm a cheese junky
I used to buy some in mercadona they only started selling it just before I left, it was irish chedder and sold on the shelf rather than behind the counter. I wasn't too keen on the kerrygold, I can't remember the name of the new stuff but it was ok.
Old Jul 19th 2007, 11:52 pm
The Best Fed Scot

I always have about 8 different cheeses on the go. Everything in moderation, but a wee bit of cheese a day is a must!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.