Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

What does the post COVID19 future hold for us in Spain ?

What does the post COVID19 future hold for us in Spain ?

Old May 30th 2020, 8:15 am
BE Enthusiast

bob_bob has a reputation beyond reputebob_bob has a reputation beyond reputebob_bob has a reputation beyond reputebob_bob has a reputation beyond reputebob_bob has a reputation beyond reputebob_bob has a reputation beyond reputebob_bob has a reputation beyond reputebob_bob has a reputation beyond reputebob_bob has a reputation beyond reputebob_bob has a reputation beyond reputebob_bob has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: What does the post COVID19 future hold for us in Spain ?

Originally Posted by ea8
I keep an eye on the UK forums re: overseas travel. Most says "No" for the foreseeable future, naming Rhyl and Skegness as the desirable points if any travel past COVID19.

Also, it is worth remembering that the first COVID19 in Spain came from the small Island of La Gomera. Tenerife followed next soon, so the rest of Spain.

To add the current disturbing figures of deaths and the new cases from Spain: https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/
Wales is still closed to tourists at the moment. Two families can now meet outdoors but must maintain the social distancing rules with a five mile travel guideline (got the grandkids coming over Tuesday for a BBQ )
Police will continue to stop and send back English tourists. The general feeling here is that overseas holidays are pretty much a no no for 2020 but even if restrictions are lifted would you want to fly to a country for a holiday when various forms of restrictions are in place? I'm sure many will go to Spain first chance they get but your going to see a crippling drop in numbers
Old May 31st 2020, 4:35 am
Started off with nothing

missile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Chatter Static
Why?
Like I said
Originally Posted by missile
Interesting though it may be, I would suggest we should question everything we hear, read on an internet forum or from so called experts. Opinions are like (fill in the blank)
Are you one of the herd who believes everything Doris tells you?

Last edited by Rosemary; May 31st 2020 at 8:23 am. Reason: corrected quote
Old May 31st 2020, 6:41 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Fredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bob_bob
Wales is still closed to tourists at the moment. The general feeling here is that overseas holidays are pretty much a no no for 2020 but even if restrictions are lifted would you want to fly to a country for a holiday when various forms of restrictions are in place? I'm sure many will go to Spain first chance they get but your going to see a crippling drop in numbers
I'm considering a trip to Wales later this year, That is definitely overseas for me
Old May 31st 2020, 8:05 am
BE Forum Addict

Barriej has a reputation beyond reputeBarriej has a reputation beyond reputeBarriej has a reputation beyond reputeBarriej has a reputation beyond reputeBarriej has a reputation beyond reputeBarriej has a reputation beyond reputeBarriej has a reputation beyond reputeBarriej has a reputation beyond reputeBarriej has a reputation beyond reputeBarriej has a reputation beyond reputeBarriej has a reputation beyond repute

Wales is still closed to tourists at the moment. Two families can now meet outdoors but must maintain the social distancing rules with a five mile travel guideline (got the grandkids coming over Tuesday for a BBQ )
Police will continue to stop and send back English tourists. The general feeling here is that overseas holidays are pretty much a no no for 2020 but even if restrictions are lifted would you want to fly to a country for a holiday when various forms of restrictions are in place? I'm sure many will go to Spain first chance they get but your going to see a crippling drop in numbers
Ive driven from england across the border at both severn bridges and via the A5 a few times over the last week or so and not seen a police car yet. Nobody being stopped. Ive been over both bridges at various times during the day.

And with the Uk staying shut I think everyone will want to go abroad. Why stay in the Uk and go on holiday? No pubs, no restaurants, no toilets at beaches. Whats the point.
We live 200 yards from the beach here in shoreham and there were loads of people there yesterday, most not local as the roads were packed with parked cars, kids were asking for ice cream and then toilets (almost offered ours at £5 a go)
Our local Facebook group has stories today about dirty nappies in gardens. Catching people peeing by their cars and much worse. My wife watched a woman dig a hole in the sand for her child to use as a toilet.

So unless I want to swim we are staying in the communal gardens around the flats.

Old May 31st 2020, 8:13 am
Quien no sabe

Chatter Static has a reputation beyond reputeChatter Static has a reputation beyond reputeChatter Static has a reputation beyond reputeChatter Static has a reputation beyond reputeChatter Static has a reputation beyond reputeChatter Static has a reputation beyond reputeChatter Static has a reputation beyond reputeChatter Static has a reputation beyond reputeChatter Static has a reputation beyond reputeChatter Static has a reputation beyond reputeChatter Static has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by missile
Like I said

Are you one of the herd who believes everything Doris tells you?
No but....

Obviously the humorous intent of my post went over your.....

You said question everything so I did by responding with a question.

Old May 31st 2020, 8:45 am
BE Enthusiast

bob_bob has a reputation beyond reputebob_bob has a reputation beyond reputebob_bob has a reputation beyond reputebob_bob has a reputation beyond reputebob_bob has a reputation beyond reputebob_bob has a reputation beyond reputebob_bob has a reputation beyond reputebob_bob has a reputation beyond reputebob_bob has a reputation beyond reputebob_bob has a reputation beyond reputebob_bob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Barriej
Ive driven from england across the border at both severn bridges and via the A5 a few times over the last week or so and not seen a police car yet. Nobody being stopped. Ive been over both bridges at various times during the day.

And with the Uk staying shut I think everyone will want to go abroad. Why stay in the Uk and go on holiday? No pubs, no restaurants, no toilets at beaches. Whats the point.
We live 200 yards from the beach here in shoreham and there were loads of people there yesterday, most not local as the roads were packed with parked cars, kids were asking for ice cream and then toilets (almost offered ours at £5 a go)
Our local Facebook group has stories today about dirty nappies in gardens. Catching people peeing by their cars and much worse. My wife watched a woman dig a hole in the sand for her child to use as a toilet.

So unless I want to swim we are staying in the communal gardens around the flats.
In Wales all national parks are closed, so are many car parks/layby's and police are tending to stop tourists, certainly in North Wales/Snowdonia/Brecon Beacons and coastal resorts. I live within eyesight of the Beacons and can understand the attraction but tourists are not welcome at the moment and people are definitely being turned back by police and at times locals have put up a lot of signs saying 'CLOSED' I'm 65 and retired early and for the last 7 years have on average spent a minimum three months of the year 'on holiday' often in Spain and Greece but I won't travel until next year (at risk from existing health condition) and yes like I said many will be craving their two weeks on the Costa's/full English/€1 pint and will put up with restrictions that will be in place but an awful lot won't and will stay in the UK. I'm alright Jack, my garden is 2/3 acre and I own 193 acres of ancient woodland so won't be bored but I do feel very sorry for those poor buggers in small accommodation especially those with young children So for me my Euro adventures will start in 2021 but all being well we'll spend this coming January in New Zealand On a plus note the weather if glorious at the moment, yesterday was a very nice 29c in the garden and looks like it will be like this for a while yet. My son will be round tomorrow, first visit since lock down and he's helping adjust a ham radio antenna tower which needs maintenance. Its been interesting talking to hams from all over Europe during this crisis and its restored my faith in people with the oft very stoic attitudes displayed in our chats.

Keep safe and well all of you

Old May 31st 2020, 10:40 am
BE Enthusiast

dougal03 has a reputation beyond reputedougal03 has a reputation beyond reputedougal03 has a reputation beyond reputedougal03 has a reputation beyond reputedougal03 has a reputation beyond reputedougal03 has a reputation beyond reputedougal03 has a reputation beyond reputedougal03 has a reputation beyond reputedougal03 has a reputation beyond reputedougal03 has a reputation beyond reputedougal03 has a reputation beyond repute

So much confusion in the details from UK about easing lockdown.Many won't want to visit there as each of the 4 countries have their own regulations.I have family in Scotland,England & Wales & would be quite upset if I couldn't visit all.Actually,bob bob,if you go to New Zealand you may find that they have very strict rules in place just now for visitors from overseas.My sister's friend is English & resident there but has just been tested for COPD,often called "parrot disease"but caught more often from feral pigeons,as she owns an African Grey.It seems the authorities are concerned to keep their good record of control over the virus.I don't blame them.I bred many species of birds including parrots as part of my business & it does very closely resemble Covid-19 in that the spores from the bird droppings are inhaled into the lungs not liquid as in Corona Virus,& will cause suffocation to the victim.It is one of the reasons that CITES was formed to stop the import of birds from the wild & now they are instead home bred & given a ring when young,aviary bred-close rung,AVCB as it states on the certificate.We all hope that next year will be so much better I am sure.
Old May 31st 2020, 10:48 am
Started off with nothing

missile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Chatter Static
No but....

Obviously the humorous intent of my post went over your.....

You said question everything so I did by responding with a question.
Perhaps if you had made a sensible comment
Old May 31st 2020, 8:54 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by dougal03
So much confusion in the details from UK about easing lockdown.Many won't want to visit there as each of the 4 countries have their own regulations.I have family in Scotland,England & Wales & would be quite upset if I couldn't visit all.Actually,bob bob,if you go to New Zealand you may find that they have very strict rules in place just now for visitors from overseas.My sister's friend is English & resident there but has just been tested for COPD,often called "parrot disease"but caught more often from feral pigeons,as she owns an African Grey.It seems the authorities are concerned to keep their good record of control over the virus.I don't blame them.I bred many species of birds including parrots as part of my business & it does very closely resemble Covid-19 in that the spores from the bird droppings are inhaled into the lungs not liquid as in Corona Virus,& will cause suffocation to the victim.It is one of the reasons that CITES was formed to stop the import of birds from the wild & now they are instead home bred & given a ring when young,aviary bred-close rung,AVCB as it states on the certificate.We all hope that next year will be so much better I am sure.
Look at the news for latest updates on restrictions. I've family and friends in NZ so they will update me and I won't book flights until the last minute.
Old Jun 1st 2020, 7:25 am
BE Enthusiast

rspltd has a reputation beyond reputerspltd has a reputation beyond reputerspltd has a reputation beyond reputerspltd has a reputation beyond reputerspltd has a reputation beyond reputerspltd has a reputation beyond reputerspltd has a reputation beyond reputerspltd has a reputation beyond reputerspltd has a reputation beyond reputerspltd has a reputation beyond reputerspltd has a reputation beyond repute

So much confusion in the details from UK about easing lockdown.Many won't want to visit there as each of the 4 countries have their own regulations No confusion - four different countries at different stages of the virus. A lot easier to understand than in other countries where different adjacent towns or even adjacent health authorities have different phases.
Old Jun 1st 2020, 9:49 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Fredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond repute

Look at the news for latest updates on restrictions. I've family and friends in NZ so they will update me and I won't book flights until the last minute.
Overnight from New Plymouth:-
Our economy is slowly opening up again, at this point we have had no new cases in eight days and only one new one in about twelve days and just one person in hospital so we are pretty happy on that front. Although of course the pain of the damage to the economy is starting to manifest itself, when a huge amount depends on tourism closing of the borders takes its toll. We are currently pushing the holiday at home message but that's only going to go so far. However we are all grateful that tourism has not been decimated along with people dying. Projecting our deaths (22) based on population it would equate to around 300 deaths total for a country the size of Britain.
Old Jun 1st 2020, 9:51 am
Started off with nothing

Originally Posted by rspltd
So much confusion in the details from UK about easing lockdown.Many won't want to visit there as each of the 4 countries have their own regulations No confusion - four different countries at different stages of the virus. A lot easier to understand than in other countries where different adjacent towns or even adjacent health authorities have different phases.
Let me go back to Spain please. It is chaos in the UK. So many following the bad example set by the monarchy, politicians and those with more money than sense.
Traffic cameras have clocked 6,293 speeding drivers since the government announced the lockdown on March 23.
North Wales Police caught up with the car after the driver 'flew' past paramedics when they had their sirens on. There were five occupants in the vehicle who had travelled from Oldham to North Wales for a drive around the region's roads. The driver was arrested after failing a roadside drug test. "This driver overtook an ambulance on an emergency run, while it had blue lights and sirens on driving above the speed limit. The driver flew by at excess speed, with a dangerous tyre that could have blown at any time."
Old Jun 2nd 2020, 11:40 am
BE Enthusiast

Chaos is an exaggeration, I doubt the vast majority are any worse than in other countries...but some just won't listen. Londoners seem to feel invincible, my cousin in Eastbourne said the beach and prom was packed out with 'Londoners' and no social distancing. Personally I think we're opening up shops far to quickly, sadly time will tell if I'm right or wrong.
Old Jun 2nd 2020, 12:10 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

bobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond repute

Personally I think we're opening up shops far to quickly, sadly time will tell if I'm right or wrong.
My guess is that things have been brought forward in order to detract from the Cummings Mystery tour and the inept way the PM dealt with it. Boris didn't like the questions being asked so let's relax things and take the heat off myself is my guess. As you say time will tell
Old Jun 2nd 2020, 12:19 pm

Rosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond repute

As this thread has been totally taken over by discussions on the UK when the title is Spain I think that it is time to close it.

Rosemary