Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

What do you wish you had taken with you?

What do you wish you had taken with you?

Old Sep 14th 2008, 2:35 am
Concierge

mikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: What do you wish you had taken with you?

Originally Posted by Fuzzlepop
Hair clippers(hard to find) and some personal things that i threw away when i came here. You'll definitly want a tumble dryer for winter, leaving your clothes outside in winter is bad. You'll be out its sunny then you'll get sandy rain and your clothes need washing again.
You back in Spain, or still in other parts...
Old Sep 14th 2008, 2:36 am
Drunken Monkey

Fuzzlepop has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzlepop has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzlepop has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzlepop has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzlepop has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzlepop has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzlepop has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzlepop has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzlepop has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzlepop has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzlepop has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mikelincs
You back in Spain, or still in other parts...
In Spain
Old Sep 14th 2008, 3:04 am
On the road again.

Dick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond repute

Has anyone ever seen one of those tattie peeling machines down there?
Ive seen the bigger ones for use in restaurants but not a smaller household type.
They are a circular type thing with a drum inside that spins around and rattles and bashes the skins off the spuds.
We looked last time we were down but didnt see a one so maybe have to bring one with us.
Old Sep 14th 2008, 3:58 am
BE Forum Addict

bigglesworth has a reputation beyond reputebigglesworth has a reputation beyond reputebigglesworth has a reputation beyond reputebigglesworth has a reputation beyond reputebigglesworth has a reputation beyond reputebigglesworth has a reputation beyond reputebigglesworth has a reputation beyond reputebigglesworth has a reputation beyond reputebigglesworth has a reputation beyond reputebigglesworth has a reputation beyond reputebigglesworth has a reputation beyond repute

A quick tip - I dont know if anyone else has tried this, but my kid sister who has been in the US since her teens, finds, bot surprisingly, the thin g she misses most is tea and Marmite. Marmite - you can get from Costco in the UK in giant plastic tubs - takes 3 or 4 times as much as the largest glass bottle.
Tea - goes stale but.......

IT FREEZES!

So pack in required quantities and freeze. Really works.
Old Sep 14th 2008, 9:51 am
Forum Regular

Splatt has much to be proud ofSplatt has much to be proud ofSplatt has much to be proud ofSplatt has much to be proud ofSplatt has much to be proud ofSplatt has much to be proud ofSplatt has much to be proud ofSplatt has much to be proud ofSplatt has much to be proud ofSplatt has much to be proud ofSplatt has much to be proud of

Found the source shower gel link they are still under offer see here....

http://www.chemistdirect.co.uk/searc...s.php?q=source
You Sir, are a Gentleman.

Mint and tea tree is my favourite. Forgive my crudity but after showering with that stuff it feels like your backside has had a polo.
Marvellous!

Ste.
Old Sep 14th 2008, 10:44 am

poshnbucks has disabled reputation

Originally Posted by Splatt
You Sir, are a Gentleman.

Mint and tea tree is my favourite. Forgive my crudity but after showering with that stuff it feels like your backside has had a polo.
Marvellous!

Ste.

I know what you mean dear

Last edited by poshnbucks; May 29th 2009 at 5:39 pm.
Old Sep 14th 2008, 10:51 am
Banned

betris has a reputation beyond reputebetris has a reputation beyond reputebetris has a reputation beyond reputebetris has a reputation beyond reputebetris has a reputation beyond reputebetris has a reputation beyond reputebetris has a reputation beyond reputebetris has a reputation beyond reputebetris has a reputation beyond reputebetris has a reputation beyond reputebetris has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Dick Dasterdly
Has anyone ever seen one of those tattie peeling machines down there?
Ive seen the bigger ones for use in restaurants but not a smaller household type.
They are a circular type thing with a drum inside that spins around and rattles and bashes the skins off the spuds.
We looked last time we were down but didnt see a one so maybe have to bring one with us.
whats wrong with peeling them with a knife may one ask.
Old Sep 14th 2008, 5:29 pm

poshnbucks has disabled reputation

I am glad we brought that little device, The boiled egg guillotine where you lay.....ha ha the egg in the cradle and then bring down the top part of several wires which chops the boiled egg into about 10-12 slices. I have found if you go to Mucky Donna to the egg stash and look on the top shelf you will find pre-boiled eggs in their shells,Why smell the house out boiling them. Use straight out of the fridge then use machine above perfect for sandwiches or salads.
I am a bit of a supermarket stalker I'm afraid I love walking around them strange but true. Anyway the old guillotine is only about two quid but you try slicing an egg into 12. And when you get here try the Mucky Donna Boiled Eggs. To go with the eggs same venue, Bread shelf bottom there lies the best wholemeal bread ever we brought the bread maker bla bla but their brown oval sliced is the donkeys. We get our other eggs from a friend who has chickens. Anyway that's enough for now.

Last edited by poshnbucks; Sep 14th 2008 at 5:38 pm.
Old Sep 14th 2008, 7:13 pm
BE Forum Addict

Rotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond repute

An endless supply of good quality english sausages and black pudding!!! My only junk food weaknessI like the spanish ones,but not for breakfast!
Old Sep 14th 2008, 7:23 pm

Lorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond repute

I'm in Italy and not Spain so not sure if you can get the following things in Spain .... but since living here I have bought these in the UK to bring back with me as they are nowhere to be found .......

egg cups
a 3 tier electric steamer
yorkshire pudding oven tins

and I also stock up on cheap paracetamol - ibuprofen - calpol and other cheap medicines.
Old Sep 14th 2008, 7:33 pm
jdr
RETIRED ;-))

jdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Lorna at Vicenza
I'm in Italy and not Spain so not sure if you can get the following things in Spain .... but since living here I have bought these in the UK to bring back with me as they are nowhere to be found .......

egg cups
a 3 tier electric steamer
yorkshire pudding oven tins

and I also stock up on cheap paracetamol - ibuprofen - calpol and other cheap medicines.
All are available here, and most of the chemist stuff is cheaper than the UK and also without prescription.
Old Sep 14th 2008, 7:44 pm

Lorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond repute

wow
I thought I was getting stuff cheap in the UK .... well it's certainly cheaper than Italy where a simple box of Aspirin is around 5 euro !
Old Sep 14th 2008, 7:53 pm
BE Enthusiast

twyntub has a reputation beyond reputetwyntub has a reputation beyond reputetwyntub has a reputation beyond reputetwyntub has a reputation beyond reputetwyntub has a reputation beyond reputetwyntub has a reputation beyond reputetwyntub has a reputation beyond reputetwyntub has a reputation beyond reputetwyntub has a reputation beyond reputetwyntub has a reputation beyond reputetwyntub has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Lorna at Vicenza
The medicines are cheap enough here, and with ibuprofen the recommended dose is much stronger (600mg vs 400mg tablets).

It's worth saying something about Calpol.

There are various Calpol-like products in Spain, and the concentrations of paracetamol within them vary from product to product. In general, they are much stronger than UK 'calpol'. This is true of many other medications, too.

For example, a 'max dose' of Calpol for a one year old is 240mg paracetamol - which is two x 5ml teaspoons (10ml).

An identical dose of Apiretal (100mg/ml) would be just 2.4ml - less than half a teaspoon, but in Spain the maximum recommended dose of paracetamol for a one year old is also less - so a one year old should never be given more than 1.6ml of Apiretal (less than a third of a teaspoon).

Always read the instructions carefully, especially as different brands often have different concentrations.
Old Sep 14th 2008, 9:25 pm
On the road again.

Dick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by poshnbucks
I am glad we brought that little device, The boiled egg guillotine where you lay.....ha ha the egg in the cradle and then bring down the top part of several wires which chops the boiled egg into about 10-12 slices. I have found if you go to Mucky Donna to the egg stash and look on the top shelf you will find pre-boiled eggs in their shells,Why smell the house out boiling them. Use straight out of the fridge then use machine above perfect for sandwiches or salads.
I am a bit of a supermarket stalker I'm afraid I love walking around them strange but true. Anyway the old guillotine is only about two quid but you try slicing an egg into 12. And when you get here try the Mucky Donna Boiled Eggs. To go with the eggs same venue, Bread shelf bottom there lies the best wholemeal bread ever we brought the bread maker bla bla but their brown oval sliced is the donkeys. We get our other eggs from a friend who has chickens. Anyway that's enough for now.

http://bestsmileys.com/cooking/2.gif
There is also an excellent simple and very cheap gadget for dealing with apples which I have only seen in Spain.
Simply place apple stalk up on a hard surface and press the said gadget down on it and through it.
Voila,the core has been removed and the remainder of the apple is now in 8 or 10 neat segments.
Old Sep 14th 2008, 9:29 pm

does it also take the peel off though. Italians are obsessed about peeling apples because of polutants and other such stuff. I'm sure some of them would peel grapes if they could !

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.