Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

What do you wish you had known/ done/are glad you knew?

What do you wish you had known/ done/are glad you knew?

Old Mar 4th 2015, 5:25 am
Banned

amideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: What do you wish you had known/ done/are glad you knew?

My Spanish isn't all bad, but I make the usual grammatical or contextual mistakes - as most non-native speakers of any language do. But it works and I can carry on a conversation without sounding like a complete idiot. Catalan is a bit more troubling for me, and I've developed this bad habit of intermixing Castellano phrases with Catalan words ("Voy a volver el Dilluns"). But they still get it, so no harm done.

It's always a chuckle when speaking with say, a shopkeeper, in Spanish. In recognition of my non-native tongue, they will often respond to me in (poorly assembled) German, so we'll continue the conversation in German, and if/when they ask where I come from, they're always gobsmacked. Estás Inglés?
Old Mar 4th 2015, 7:51 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

cricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by amideislas
Estás Inglés?
Then they must be German shopkeepers
Old Mar 4th 2015, 7:53 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

cricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by battlezone123
Very few is NOT 20% - that is a vast number of students failing. That would mean of the 800 students at my children's school 160 are failing at the end of each academic school year. I am sorry but your last paragraph is utter rubbish - and that if you do have children that your attitude changes. To label children like this is unbelievable.
That is the way the Spanish education system works, as you say

The bottom 20% are "thickos" who won't need the qualifications when they are working in the fields/cleaning etc.

I do have children by the way, still very young though.
Old Mar 4th 2015, 7:53 am
Banned

amideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond repute

No most around here are Mallorquin. But they're accommodating.
Old Mar 4th 2015, 7:56 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by amideislas
No most around here are Mallorquin. But they're accommodating.
It was a little joke based on the bad grammar. If someone is asking whether you are English, they would say "?Eres Ingles?".

Ser and Estar is always tricky for beginners and I am sure it puts a lot of people off learning Spanish
Old Mar 4th 2015, 1:30 pm
Senior Moment

Mitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond repute

Getting back to the original subject ...... I can't say theres anything that falls into the above for us.

We wish we had known everything of course, but we did do a good years research before we moved

We travelled a lot when we were there, and that was great .... Spain is such a fantastic country when you leave the costas. So much more to the country than many ex pats discover

I'm glad I knew a hell of a lot by the time we arrived in Spain, I just didnt know how difficult sometimes it was going to be getting it done
Old Mar 4th 2015, 4:12 pm
FreeThinker

jimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by cricketman
It was a little joke based on the bad grammar. If someone is asking whether you are English, they would say "?Eres Ingles?".

Ser and Estar is always tricky for beginners and I am sure it puts a lot of people off learning Spanish
I would have thought "Es Ingles?" on the grounds that if they were on familiar terms with you they would know that you were English.
Old Mar 4th 2015, 4:24 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by jimenato
I would have thought "Es Ingles?" on the grounds that if they were on familiar terms with you they would know that you were English.
Nobody uses usted anymore, unless you are 80 years old, are dressed like a Lord or they really don't want to be your friend
Old Mar 4th 2015, 6:04 pm

Rosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond repute

Shops and restaurants all use usted in my area.

We researched thoroughly before coming to live here but we had underestimated the amount of people speaking Valenciano as their first language. In our small town the only time Spanish is used is when they speak to people like me and at the health centre.

We also vastly underestimated how welcome we would be, how friendly the people are and how involved we became in a very short time. Totally immersed in all that occurs, told by one particular family that we were important members of their family. We had always had a tendency to keep ourselves to ourselves so it was all due to them not us. All we did was greet people in a friendly manner and it blossomed from there. I certainly did not expect to be so happy here.

Rosemary
Old Mar 5th 2015, 7:39 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

I was saying how the Spanish education system works

It is contrast to the UK education system which gives a pass to everyone

I am not calling anyone a thicko

Last edited by Fred James; Mar 5th 2015 at 7:50 am.
Old Mar 5th 2015, 10:10 am
FreeThinker

jimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Rosemary
Shops and restaurants all use usted in my area.
Rosemary
Quite.
Old Mar 5th 2015, 10:16 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by jimenato
Quite.
You guys are a lot older than me, no?

People still call me "joven" or "chaval"
Old Mar 5th 2015, 11:21 am
BE Forum Addict

stuboy has a reputation beyond reputestuboy has a reputation beyond reputestuboy has a reputation beyond reputestuboy has a reputation beyond reputestuboy has a reputation beyond reputestuboy has a reputation beyond reputestuboy has a reputation beyond reputestuboy has a reputation beyond reputestuboy has a reputation beyond reputestuboy has a reputation beyond reputestuboy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Horlics
I'm not sitting here assuming they're a couple of thickos who weren't up to the task. I was actually wondering if there were other factors, such as how welcome and accommodating the locals were. I think it's interesting to hear about how those who avoid expat areas get on.

And if I am giving the impression that I find speaking Spanish easy, I certainly don't. I struggle with it.

I did French at school and know fewer than a dozen words of it. I am no natural.
I see your attitude has softened a little from your original reply. Thank you for that.

They did try several times to learn Spanish both in groups and privately. I remember one occasion where they were both sat on the terrace with work books. the task was to conjugate regular 'ar' verbs in the present tense. With the book and crib sheets in front of them they were OK as soon as they needed the verb in a social situation they could neither recall it still less conjugate it.

I think it was primarily confidence. Trying too hard to fit in and not look silly.

They developed quite a few 'face saving strategies' one I remember was being in a local supermarket at the deli counter, my friends did not make eye contact with the assistant pretending instead to wax lyrical about all the marvellous produce and then all of a sudden this young girl (Spanish) came over and spoke to them in near perfect English. They got their ham and cheese or whatever and they turned to me and said 'she always serves us, she likes to practice her English'

As to the remark about Cornish Pasties it was really intended more as a metaphor.
Old Mar 5th 2015, 12:18 pm

Rosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by cricketman
You guys are a lot older than me, no?

People still call me "joven" or "chaval"
They use it for all customers no matter what age they are.

Rosemary
Old Mar 5th 2015, 12:25 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by Rosemary
They use it for all customers no matter what age they are.

Rosemary
I have never anywhere in Spain heard a say, 18 year old being called usted in a shop

But OK, one of the best things about Spain is it's diversity!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.