What do you miss about the UK?

Old Aug 16th 2009, 3:18 am
Exa
Just Joined

Exa is an unknown quantity at this point
Question What do you miss about the UK?

Hey guys,

I'm hoping to hear some views from people who moved from the UK to Spain.

What do you miss about the UK? (I.e. good things which you don't have or see in Spain) Please keep in mind that this is a serious thread, so no need for sarcastic posts.

In the future, I would like to move to Spain, but for now, I'm stuck in the UK. I'd like to find some reasons to appreciate my country a little bit more than I do currently. :P Not only that, but I think it may give me more of an insight.

Cheers!

- Exa

Last edited by Exa; Aug 16th 2009 at 3:22 am.
Old Aug 16th 2009, 3:48 am
Grapes are good 4 U !

GrapeEater has much to be proud ofGrapeEater has much to be proud ofGrapeEater has much to be proud ofGrapeEater has much to be proud ofGrapeEater has much to be proud ofGrapeEater has much to be proud ofGrapeEater has much to be proud ofGrapeEater has much to be proud ofGrapeEater has much to be proud ofGrapeEater has much to be proud ofGrapeEater has much to be proud of
Default Re: What do you miss about the UK?

Originally Posted by Exa
Hey guys,

- Exa

... being able to sleep at this time of day because it's too bloody hot at night !!
... friends & family
... my son
... errrr not much else !
Old Aug 16th 2009, 5:30 am
¿Dónde estoy?

lynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond repute

what do I miss?

nothing
Old Aug 16th 2009, 5:46 am
Ex Expat

scampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond repute

Green grass
Fish and Chips
Fast and Cheap Internet Connection

Probably be back later with more!
Old Aug 16th 2009, 5:48 am
¿Dónde estoy?

lynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by scampicat
Green grass
Fish and Chips
Fast and Cheap Internet Connection

Probably be back later with more!
we have green grass

we have Fish & Chips - my homemade is brill!

we have a fast-ish internet connection

it's not cheap though
Old Aug 16th 2009, 6:46 am
BE Enthusiast

bealerDSB has much to be proud ofbealerDSB has much to be proud ofbealerDSB has much to be proud ofbealerDSB has much to be proud ofbealerDSB has much to be proud ofbealerDSB has much to be proud ofbealerDSB has much to be proud ofbealerDSB has much to be proud ofbealerDSB has much to be proud ofbealerDSB has much to be proud ofbealerDSB has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Exa
Hey guys,

I'm hoping to hear some views from people who moved from the UK to Spain.

What do you miss about the UK? (I.e. good things which you don't have or see in Spain) Please keep in mind that this is a serious thread, so no need for sarcastic posts.

In the future, I would like to move to Spain, but for now, I'm stuck in the UK. I'd like to find some reasons to appreciate my country a little bit more than I do currently. :P Not only that, but I think it may give me more of an insight.

Cheers!

- Exa
You can get almost anything in Spain - The one thing that you will find is the Families "left back home" will tend to play on your heart-strings.

Intentionally or not their doing, that will be a big hurdle.
Aside of what you miss - you will end up judging Spain far worse if you DO NOT SPEAK THE LANGUAGE / fyi..

DSB.
Old Aug 16th 2009, 7:14 am
Just Joined

1debbie2 has a brilliant future1debbie2 has a brilliant future1debbie2 has a brilliant future1debbie2 has a brilliant future1debbie2 has a brilliant future1debbie2 has a brilliant future1debbie2 has a brilliant future

my 20 year old daughter, I miss her so much, I speak to her everyday on the phone but even though she is settled with her partner she is also missing us loads, she keeps crying to me on the phone and begging us to go back to uk.I feel so guilty for being here. I keep trying to explain that it is not so easy just to go back, we would have a house to sell and hubby just starting to build up his buisness here. Has anyone else left children of similar age in uk.
Old Aug 16th 2009, 8:38 am
Forum Regular

baz259 is just really nicebaz259 is just really nicebaz259 is just really nicebaz259 is just really nicebaz259 is just really nicebaz259 is just really nicebaz259 is just really nicebaz259 is just really nicebaz259 is just really nice

Hi, what do I miss? This may sound frivelous but I miss going to bimingham fish market amd having dish of jellied eels.
Barry
Old Aug 16th 2009, 8:42 am
BE Forum Addict

paintermujer has a reputation beyond reputepaintermujer has a reputation beyond reputepaintermujer has a reputation beyond reputepaintermujer has a reputation beyond reputepaintermujer has a reputation beyond reputepaintermujer has a reputation beyond reputepaintermujer has a reputation beyond reputepaintermujer has a reputation beyond reputepaintermujer has a reputation beyond reputepaintermujer has a reputation beyond reputepaintermujer has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by 1debbie2
my 20 year old daughter, I miss her so much, I speak to her everyday on the phone but even though she is settled with her partner she is also missing us loads, she keeps crying to me on the phone and begging us to go back to uk.I feel so guilty for being here. I keep trying to explain that it is not so easy just to go back, we would have a house to sell and hubby just starting to build up his buisness here. Has anyone else left children of similar age in uk.
Just reading your reply brings tears to my eyes.

I shall be leaving my 20 year old daughter in exactly the same situation as yours.

I dont even know yet how I am going to say goodbye to her withoout getting in a state(understatement of the word).

We will speak every day and have the videocam on skype but that dosent sound is if it will help.
Old Aug 16th 2009, 9:01 am
BE Forum Addict

Chiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond repute

Good shops, theatres, English cinema, being able to sleep at night, going for walks with the dog without dropping dead of heat exhaustion. Fish and chips and always friends and family. Oh yes and working. I miss the companionship of work colleagues, having a laugh, using my brain not stagnating which I feel I am doing now. What I don´t miss is the Christmas rush, fireworks going off at all times leading up to Nov 5th. Cold wet November days, dark at 4pm.
Old Aug 16th 2009, 9:43 am
BE Forum Addict

SueG has a reputation beyond reputeSueG has a reputation beyond reputeSueG has a reputation beyond reputeSueG has a reputation beyond reputeSueG has a reputation beyond reputeSueG has a reputation beyond reputeSueG has a reputation beyond reputeSueG has a reputation beyond reputeSueG has a reputation beyond reputeSueG has a reputation beyond reputeSueG has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by 1debbie2
Our 30 year old son - who tells everyone that we have gone off and left him and he is now an orphan
Old Aug 16th 2009, 10:01 am
On the road again.

Dick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond repute

English butchers and bakers with their now better than ever selection of fresh made pies and pasties etc.,plus quality steaks and joints of meat.
Morrisons for the same reasons.

English country pub,both for its atmosphere and real ale.
Many throughout the World tried to copy but not seen any entirely succeed.

Oh yes,also the chippy with fresh out the pan N.Atlantic cod and haddock,....(bacalao,meluza, nice, but not the same).
Fortunately spend some time back in blighty each year so still able to indulge myself.

English paella!
I live in the Valencia region,home of the stuff,but find it all heavy and stodgy and lacking in sufficient fishy,meaty things compared to the one 'er indoors fixes for me.
Old Aug 16th 2009, 10:03 am
BE Enthusiast

pete_l has a reputation beyond reputepete_l has a reputation beyond reputepete_l has a reputation beyond reputepete_l has a reputation beyond reputepete_l has a reputation beyond reputepete_l has a reputation beyond reputepete_l has a reputation beyond reputepete_l has a reputation beyond reputepete_l has a reputation beyond reputepete_l has a reputation beyond reputepete_l has a reputation beyond repute

• internet shopping
  • bacon
  • a water supply that doesn't just dry up for 12+ hours, regularly during the summer
  • priced-labeled goods in small shops (where the price doesn't increase if you're not a native)
  • white, unsliced, farmhouse loaves
  • mosquitoes
  • dogs not barking all night long
  • curry
  • trains
  • not having to get permission for the smallest DIY jobs
  • cars stopping at pedestrian crossings
Old Aug 16th 2009, 10:14 am
BE Forum Addict

Chiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by SueG
Our 30 year old son - who tells everyone that we have gone off and left him and he is now an orphan
Love it Sue, I have a 28 year old who still thinks we are the Bank of Mum and Dad. And of course he will always pay it back!
Old Aug 16th 2009, 10:38 am
BE Enthusiast

busters mum has a reputation beyond reputebusters mum has a reputation beyond reputebusters mum has a reputation beyond reputebusters mum has a reputation beyond reputebusters mum has a reputation beyond reputebusters mum has a reputation beyond reputebusters mum has a reputation beyond reputebusters mum has a reputation beyond reputebusters mum has a reputation beyond reputebusters mum has a reputation beyond reputebusters mum has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Chiclanagir
Love it Sue, I have a 28 year old who still thinks we are the Bank of Mum and Dad. And of course he will always pay it back!
Snap, mines 36 !! Perhaps we should get them a place together

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.