Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

What do you love most about Spain?

What do you love most about Spain?

Old Oct 19th 2006, 9:26 am
BE Forum Addict

Miss Naughty has a reputation beyond reputeMiss Naughty has a reputation beyond reputeMiss Naughty has a reputation beyond reputeMiss Naughty has a reputation beyond reputeMiss Naughty has a reputation beyond reputeMiss Naughty has a reputation beyond reputeMiss Naughty has a reputation beyond reputeMiss Naughty has a reputation beyond reputeMiss Naughty has a reputation beyond reputeMiss Naughty has a reputation beyond reputeMiss Naughty has a reputation beyond repute
Default What do you love most about Spain?

Hi
I am moving to Spain soon, and would love to know what others love about Spain?
Old Oct 19th 2006, 11:06 am
Forum Regular

PaulLes is just really nicePaulLes is just really nicePaulLes is just really nicePaulLes is just really nicePaulLes is just really nicePaulLes is just really nicePaulLes is just really nicePaulLes is just really nice
Default Re: What do you love most about Spain?

Originally Posted by Miss Naughty
Hi
I am moving to Spain soon, and would love to know what others love about Spain?

Thats a pretty broad spectrum question, and a lot of the answers apart from the obvious will be determined by what you hope to gain, leave behind or in some cases want to run away from. From your forum name i assume that you are young and fun loving, (could be way out)it may be that you are looking to broaden horizons for a few years, you don't say whether you are moving perminantley or short term, want to be in a Spanish or ex-pat comunity.
I enjoy success in the UK along with all the associated stress, so for us its being able to take a slower pace of life inland with a quiet surroundings, being able to eat al fresco more than a few days a year, to get home from work and have the option to sit outside and relax, rather than plonk down with the paper, TV and central heating on. To enjoy sunny winters days up to 20 degrees and crisp late winter nights sat by the log burner with a glass of Vino.
This forum is an excellent resourse for reference, but the individuals hope and dreams must be thier own and not some body elses. I am sure that when relocating to Spain one set of problems is replaced by another, the general plan being that they are not ones that make everyday living miserable, but ones that are a challenge to overcome. As your quote says you are moving to Spain soon it would be interesting to know your reasons and what you want and like yourself about Spain.

Regards,

Paul

Last edited by PaulLes; Oct 19th 2006 at 11:09 am.
Old Oct 19th 2006, 11:24 am
BE Forum Addict

Miss Naughty has a reputation beyond reputeMiss Naughty has a reputation beyond reputeMiss Naughty has a reputation beyond reputeMiss Naughty has a reputation beyond reputeMiss Naughty has a reputation beyond reputeMiss Naughty has a reputation beyond reputeMiss Naughty has a reputation beyond reputeMiss Naughty has a reputation beyond reputeMiss Naughty has a reputation beyond reputeMiss Naughty has a reputation beyond reputeMiss Naughty has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by PaulLes
Thats a pretty broad spectrum question, and a lot of the answers apart from the obvious will be determined by what you hope to gain, leave behind or in some cases want to run away from. From your forum name i assume that you are young and fun loving, (could be way out)it may be that you are looking to broaden horizons for a few years, you don't say whether you are moving perminantley or short term, want to be in a Spanish or ex-pat comunity.
I enjoy success in the UK along with all the associated stress, so for us its being able to take a slower pace of life inland with a quiet surroundings, being able to eat al fresco more than a few days a year, to get home from work and have the option to sit outside and relax, rather than plonk down with the paper, TV and central heating on. To enjoy sunny winters days up to 20 degrees and crisp late winter nights sat by the log burner with a glass of Vino.
This forum is an excellent resourse for reference, but the individuals hope and dreams must be thier own and not some body elses. I am sure that when relocating to Spain one set of problems is replaced by another, the general plan being that they are not ones that make everyday living miserable, but ones that are a challenge to overcome. As your quote says you are moving to Spain soon it would be interesting to know your reasons and what you want and like yourself about Spain.

Regards,

Paul
Hi,
I am in my early 30s, My husband and i have just decided we would like to try somewhere different and after much debating, of where we would like to go we have chosen Spain.

We have just decided for for a slower pace of life, relax and spend time together.
Old Oct 19th 2006, 11:40 am
Forum Regular

PaulLes is just really nicePaulLes is just really nicePaulLes is just really nicePaulLes is just really nicePaulLes is just really nicePaulLes is just really nicePaulLes is just really nicePaulLes is just really nice

Hi,
I am in my early 30s, My husband and i have just decided we would like to try somewhere different and after much debating, of where we would like to go we have chosen Spain.

We have just decided for for a slower pace of life, relax and spend time together.

Good luck, we love the people, the culture and the sometimes frustrating laid back way of life if you want something done.

Paul
Old Oct 19th 2006, 1:42 pm
Forum Regular

Inish is a glorious beacon of lightInish is a glorious beacon of lightInish is a glorious beacon of lightInish is a glorious beacon of lightInish is a glorious beacon of lightInish is a glorious beacon of lightInish is a glorious beacon of lightInish is a glorious beacon of lightInish is a glorious beacon of lightInish is a glorious beacon of lightInish is a glorious beacon of light

I sometimes wonder where people get these fanciful ideas about living abroad. Life is good and bad no matter where you live. We all have to work, rest and play just the same anywhere in the world, it,s up to the individual what they make of there life not the place they live in.
Old Oct 19th 2006, 1:49 pm
jdr
RETIRED ;-))

jdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Inish
I sometimes wonder where people get these fanciful ideas about living abroad. Life is good and bad no matter where you live. We all have to work, rest and play just the same anywhere in the world, it,s up to the individual what they make of there life not the place they live in.

Very true, but a bit of sunshine makes all the difference, mind you it was chucking it down this morning
Old Oct 19th 2006, 1:54 pm
Forum Regular

Inish is a glorious beacon of lightInish is a glorious beacon of lightInish is a glorious beacon of lightInish is a glorious beacon of lightInish is a glorious beacon of lightInish is a glorious beacon of lightInish is a glorious beacon of lightInish is a glorious beacon of lightInish is a glorious beacon of lightInish is a glorious beacon of lightInish is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by jdr
Very true, but a bit of sunshine makes all the difference, mind you it was chucking it down this morning
We had it yesterday, but the garden looks great and the dog is clean once again.
Old Oct 19th 2006, 2:22 pm
BE Enthusiast

Mrs eddie is a glorious beacon of lightMrs eddie is a glorious beacon of lightMrs eddie is a glorious beacon of lightMrs eddie is a glorious beacon of lightMrs eddie is a glorious beacon of lightMrs eddie is a glorious beacon of lightMrs eddie is a glorious beacon of lightMrs eddie is a glorious beacon of lightMrs eddie is a glorious beacon of lightMrs eddie is a glorious beacon of lightMrs eddie is a glorious beacon of light

Hiya,

Been out here since June, we are a family of 4, was learning Spanish before we came but have slipped...eek.....we absolutely love it over here.

Love the people......the way most people say "Hola" "Buenos" etc,the way everyone sits outside there homes (we live in the Old Town of Oliva)and try and chat...very patient with us.

The way the Spanish love kids....our 2 yr old and 3 1/2 yr old love all the attention.

The sunshine - how glorious.

The better way of life in general.

Ok still bit stressed but with 2 young kids we would be stressed anywhere.

My husband still works the same hours but when he finishes we have a much better quality of life than that back in England....I dont have to rush off to work, and we can just go out for a walk with the children.....or sown to the beach !!

For us, we would hate to go back to England, but kinda thinking we are soooo luckyto have had this oppurtunity that we probably are living here on borrowed time...it that makes any sense.

We are just enjoying the great life experience.

Hope you make the right decision

All the best

Mich xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

P.S We have a sea view from all our terraces.....sunset, mountains ....can't get better than that for us.
Old Oct 19th 2006, 9:11 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Mrs eddie
Hiya,

Been out here since June, we are a family of 4, was learning Spanish before we came but have slipped...eek.....we absolutely love it over here.

Love the people......the way most people say "Hola" "Buenos" etc,the way everyone sits outside there homes (we live in the Old Town of Oliva)and try and chat...very patient with us.

The way the Spanish love kids....our 2 yr old and 3 1/2 yr old love all the attention.

The sunshine - how glorious.

The better way of life in general.

Ok still bit stressed but with 2 young kids we would be stressed anywhere.

My husband still works the same hours but when he finishes we have a much better quality of life than that back in England....I dont have to rush off to work, and we can just go out for a walk with the children.....or sown to the beach !!

For us, we would hate to go back to England, but kinda thinking we are soooo luckyto have had this oppurtunity that we probably are living here on borrowed time...it that makes any sense.

We are just enjoying the great life experience.

Hope you make the right decision

All the best

Mich xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

P.S We have a sea view from all our terraces.....sunset, mountains ....can't get better than that for us.
Hi,
Sounds fantastic with that view, We know we are very lucky to have the opportunity to live in Spain.

How do you find not being near family? we dont really see much of both our family's.
However if i want them to look after our little girl they do have her, i think that is what i Will find hard.

Do you find that?
Old Oct 19th 2006, 10:23 pm
Forum Regular

kpw4v is just really nicekpw4v is just really nicekpw4v is just really nicekpw4v is just really nicekpw4v is just really nicekpw4v is just really nicekpw4v is just really nicekpw4v is just really nice

What do I love about Spain?
Well apart from the sun, beaches and good food, probably most of all landing at Manchester Airport to get back to green countryside, Bolton Wanderers home games, cricket, being able to converse as an equal rather than being tolerated, one hours drive to my place on Lake Windermere, driving on the left hand side of the road and looking forward to my next holiday in Spain.

Get my drift. Spain for me is a great place to holiday and come home from, but I could never live any where else but this green and pleasant land.

Just mho.
Kevin

Hi,
Sounds fantastic with that view, We know we are very lucky to have the opportunity to live in Spain.

How do you find not being near family? we dont really see much of both our family's.
However if i want them to look after our little girl they do have her, i think that is what i Will find hard.

Do you find that?
Old Oct 19th 2006, 10:44 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by kpw4v
What do I love about Spain?
Well apart from the sun, beaches and good food, probably most of all landing at Manchester Airport to get back to green countryside, Bolton Wanderers home games, cricket, being able to converse as an equal rather than being tolerated, one hours drive to my place on Lake Windermere, driving on the left hand side of the road and looking forward to my next holiday in Spain.

Get my drift. Spain for me is a great place to holiday and come home from, but I could never live any where else but this green and pleasant land.

Just mho.
Kevin
I take it you would not live there?

I do understand what you are saying as each to there own.

But if permitted long term would you not move there?
Old Oct 19th 2006, 11:06 pm
Forum Regular

sunlover27 is on a distinguished road

Interesting post and some good answers already, my reasons are very different. Been coming to to Spain for 22 years, started off once a year and built it up to 5 times a year. Now we have reached an age where we would like to retire, can't afford to retire at our age and stay in England, so what better place to do it than Spain, we're on the final countdown now and all being well will be moving in the new year
Old Oct 19th 2006, 11:20 pm
Forum Regular

kpw4v is just really nicekpw4v is just really nicekpw4v is just really nicekpw4v is just really nicekpw4v is just really nicekpw4v is just really nicekpw4v is just really nicekpw4v is just really nice

Good thread this. As has been said, each to their own. I could never live anywhere else but England, but love to travel.
Kevin

Originally Posted by sunlover27
Interesting post and some good answers already, my reasons are very different. Been coming to to Spain for 22 years, started off once a year and built it up to 5 times a year. Now we have reached an age where we would like to retire, can't afford to retire at our age and stay in England, so what better place to do it than Spain, we're on the final countdown now and all being well will be moving in the new year
Old Oct 20th 2006, 12:21 am
BE Forum Addict

big wheels has a reputation beyond reputebig wheels has a reputation beyond reputebig wheels has a reputation beyond reputebig wheels has a reputation beyond reputebig wheels has a reputation beyond reputebig wheels has a reputation beyond reputebig wheels has a reputation beyond reputebig wheels has a reputation beyond reputebig wheels has a reputation beyond reputebig wheels has a reputation beyond reputebig wheels has a reputation beyond repute

What do I love about Spain? Here's a few things.
The weather. Not too many grey drizzly days
The far cheaper cost of living.
The lack of traffic on the roads, driving is a pleasure again.
The people, everyone will acknowledge a "Buenas"
Going to the local shop and not getting home for over an hour because one of the neighbours saw me and wanted a chat
Eating fresh food that tastes like it used to.
Beer at €80 cents a glass
Being able to walk the streets at night without constantly looking over my shoulder. And feeling safe taking a short cut home through the park after midnight, even though at the weekend it's full of local youths drinking beer. They allways give a smile rather than a sneer as they move aside without being asked to let me climb the steps between them

I know the above will not ring true with some ex- pats, especially those living in some of the more popular tourist areas.
But all in all. I'm very happy with my lot,
regards
BW.

Last edited by big wheels; Oct 20th 2006 at 12:38 am.
Old Oct 20th 2006, 1:44 am
Forum Regular

kaylee is a name known to allkaylee is a name known to allkaylee is a name known to allkaylee is a name known to allkaylee is a name known to allkaylee is a name known to allkaylee is a name known to allkaylee is a name known to allkaylee is a name known to allkaylee is a name known to allkaylee is a name known to all

Sounds good to me big wheels , what part of Spain are you living in?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.