Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

What do you have to prove your income for?

What do you have to prove your income for?

Old Sep 5th 2012, 5:52 pm
doo
Banned

doo is an unknown quantity at this point
Default What do you have to prove your income for?

Do you have to prove your income if you apt share? If a local Spanish person has an apartment/house to share, and you give them rent for the room, do you need to prove your income for them to rent to you? Or is that for applying for residency if staying over 3 months?
Old Sep 5th 2012, 5:54 pm
Senior Moment

Mitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: What do you have to prove your income for?

Originally Posted by doo
Do you have to prove your income if you apt share? If a local Spanish person has an apartment/house to share, and you give them rent for the room, do you need to prove your income for them to rent to you? Or is that for applying for residency if staying over 3 months?
Im afraid you'd have to explain a little more
If you are coming to live here permanently then you have to prove your income to sign on the foreigners list (residency). Thats if you rent, buy, sleep in the street, or whatever. It's not about proving that you can afford to pay your rent, if thats what you mean
Old Sep 5th 2012, 6:44 pm
BE Forum Addict

Pocaloca has a reputation beyond reputePocaloca has a reputation beyond reputePocaloca has a reputation beyond reputePocaloca has a reputation beyond reputePocaloca has a reputation beyond reputePocaloca has a reputation beyond reputePocaloca has a reputation beyond reputePocaloca has a reputation beyond reputePocaloca has a reputation beyond reputePocaloca has a reputation beyond reputePocaloca has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by doo
You have to prove you have enough income to support yourself when you apply for your residency, i.e. if you plan to stay more than three months. It isn't anything to do with your rent or accommodation.

I suppose a landlord might want to be reassured you can pay the rent, but he has no legal right to ask for proof of income.
Old Sep 5th 2012, 8:18 pm
On the road again.

Dick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by doo
I think the main purpose is to avoid you becoming a burden on the State, though why they are so concerned alludes me somewhat, as they do very little to look after their own.
Old Sep 5th 2012, 11:18 pm
BE Enthusiast

TheLostPhotographer has a reputation beyond reputeTheLostPhotographer has a reputation beyond reputeTheLostPhotographer has a reputation beyond reputeTheLostPhotographer has a reputation beyond reputeTheLostPhotographer has a reputation beyond reputeTheLostPhotographer has a reputation beyond reputeTheLostPhotographer has a reputation beyond reputeTheLostPhotographer has a reputation beyond reputeTheLostPhotographer has a reputation beyond reputeTheLostPhotographer has a reputation beyond reputeTheLostPhotographer has a reputation beyond repute

I think it is simply the government trying to control unemployment figures. Many people still arrive looking for work - there are no longer any jobs up for grabs. Perhaps the news hasn't reached some places yet?

I was talking to a street accordian player today. He moved here with his family on a promised job working as security on construction sites. He now has to busk to make enough money. He's not alone. Many people followed false promises.
Old Sep 5th 2012, 11:29 pm
On the road again.

Dick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by TheLostPhotographer
I think it is simply the government trying to control unemployment figures. Many people still arrive looking for work - there are no longer any jobs up for grabs. Perhaps the news hasn't reached some places yet?

I was talking to a street accordian player today. He moved here with his family on a promised job working as security on construction sites. He now has to busk to make enough money. He's not alone. Many people followed false promises.
I recall it was the same back in the early 1990s recession so maybe there's something in that.
Old Sep 6th 2012, 3:38 pm
BE Enthusiast

davidinspain is an unknown quantity at this pointdavidinspain is an unknown quantity at this pointdavidinspain is an unknown quantity at this pointdavidinspain is an unknown quantity at this pointdavidinspain is an unknown quantity at this pointdavidinspain is an unknown quantity at this pointdavidinspain is an unknown quantity at this pointdavidinspain is an unknown quantity at this pointdavidinspain is an unknown quantity at this pointdavidinspain is an unknown quantity at this pointdavidinspain is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Dick Dasterdly
I think the main purpose is to avoid you becoming a burden on the State, though why they are so concerned alludes me somewhat, as they do very little to look after their own.
Confused x 2 as you say if you haven't worked here you get no health cover or benefits and I always thought it was a right of every EU citizen to live in an EU member country.I remember when I lived in France somebody challenged Frances right to make you apply for a C/S
Old Sep 6th 2012, 3:43 pm

Fred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Daveinspain
I always thought it was a right of every EU citizen to live in an EU member country.
It is but under EU law the new country can insist on you meeting certain criteria with regard to having adequate financial means and health cover.
Old Sep 6th 2012, 4:23 pm
BE Forum Addict

Chiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Fred James
It is but under EU law the new country can insist on you meeting certain criteria with regard to having adequate financial means and health cover.
So what would happen if they said that you didn´t have enough financial means and you own a house and live here?
Old Sep 6th 2012, 4:38 pm

Fred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Chiclanagir
So what would happen if they said that you didn´t have enough financial means and you own a house and live here?
Probably not a lot. Obviously you wouldn't have your nice shiny foreigners registration certificate but unless you needed it for some official reason it wouldn't make much difference.

There wouldn't be much point in deporting you as you could come back in again the next day and the 90 day clock starts ticking again.

You could ask a similar question "what happens if I can't be bothered to register" and I guess the answer would be pretty much the same.

Until the possession of the certificate is linked in with all the other procedures it doesn't seem to be a problem.
Old Sep 6th 2012, 6:42 pm
Forum Regular

Abyss-Rover is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Chiclanagir
The new restrictions are based on the fact that you have enough finances to support yourself (and any family) and that you have medical insurance.

I believe that their main aim is to prevent foreigners from abusing the system, that is already overflowing with legitimate Spanish needs. To understand this more clearly, take a look at the situation in the UK. Then you will see what Spain is trying to avoid.

All the Spanish are asking for is: that you can support yourself and that you will not be abusing their health system, simples.
Old Sep 6th 2012, 9:04 pm

Originally Posted by Abyss-Rover
The new restrictions are based on the fact that you have enough finances to support yourself (and any family) and that you have medical insurance.

I believe that their main aim is to prevent foreigners from abusing the system, that is already overflowing with legitimate Spanish needs. To understand this more clearly, take a look at the situation in the UK. Then you will see what Spain is trying to avoid.

All the Spanish are asking for is: that you can support yourself and that you will not be abusing their health system, simples.
It's pretty obvious why they are doing it but it's very difficult to answer the question asked as to what they will do if you don't meet the new requirements.
Old Sep 6th 2012, 9:19 pm
doo
Banned

doo is an unknown quantity at this point

Ah ok, I get it now. How much is sufficient?
Old Sep 7th 2012, 6:19 am

Originally Posted by doo
Ah ok, I get it now. How much is sufficient?
There doesn't seem to be a definitive answer to that question.

The EU residency law, which is where this originates, says this:-

Member States may not lay down a fixed amount which they regard as "sufficient resources" but they must take into account the personal situation of the person concerned. In all cases this amount shall not be higher than the threshold below which nationals of the host Member State become eligible for social assistance, or, where this criterion is not applicable, higher than the
minimum social security pension paid by the host Member State.

So your guess is as good as mine
Old Sep 7th 2012, 6:43 am

Domino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Fred James
There doesn't seem to be a definitive answer to that question.

The EU residency law, which is where this originates, says this:-

Member States may not lay down a fixed amount which they regard as "sufficient resources" but they must take into account the personal situation of the person concerned. In all cases this amount shall not be higher than the threshold below which nationals of the host Member State become eligible for social assistance, or, where this criterion is not applicable, higher than the
minimum social security pension paid by the host Member State.

So your guess is as good as mine
seems quite plain to me Fred, just the bit about "personal situation" that puts a wrinkle in the way.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.