Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

What do you consider to be The Costa de la Luz?

View Poll Results: What do you consider to be the Costa de la Luz?
The Cadiz Coast
20.69%
The Huelva Coast
3.45%
Both Coasts
72.41%
The Leccy Bill
3.45%
Voters: 29. You may not vote on this poll

What do you consider to be The Costa de la Luz?

Old Jul 4th 2008, 8:32 pm
BE Forum Addict

Location: Finally now living in Lo Marabu, Rojales, and it feels like home
andyrich666 has a reputation beyond reputeandyrich666 has a reputation beyond reputeandyrich666 has a reputation beyond reputeandyrich666 has a reputation beyond reputeandyrich666 has a reputation beyond reputeandyrich666 has a reputation beyond reputeandyrich666 has a reputation beyond reputeandyrich666 has a reputation beyond reputeandyrich666 has a reputation beyond reputeandyrich666 has a reputation beyond reputeandyrich666 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: What do you consider to be The Costa de la Luz?

Originally Posted by Cape Blue
I think you are correct - Luz is more often seen as Cadiz province
Well I love it there !! And have been to Huelva and would consider that La Luz and further is Ayamonte, luckily most brits have never heard of La Luz and for me I like it that way.

But I imagine those that do would ay Cadiz etc and no more than that
Old Jul 4th 2008, 10:01 pm

crispy will become famous soon enoughcrispy will become famous soon enough

I know that Costa de la Luz runs from Tarifa up to the Portugese border but when mentioned in conversation I always think "CHICLANA"
Old Jul 4th 2008, 10:05 pm
Account Closed

El Capitan is an unknown quantity at this point

Having seen a few more replies I guess if you live ON the coast then you have a narrower view of this compared to those of us who live in the area but not on the coast per se.
Old Jul 4th 2008, 10:59 pm
BE Enthusiast

marisol has a reputation beyond reputemarisol has a reputation beyond reputemarisol has a reputation beyond reputemarisol has a reputation beyond reputemarisol has a reputation beyond reputemarisol has a reputation beyond reputemarisol has a reputation beyond reputemarisol has a reputation beyond reputemarisol has a reputation beyond reputemarisol has a reputation beyond reputemarisol has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Fortaleza
OK -

Marisol - ask your work colleagues on Monday where Costa de la Luz is and post here the answers.
Hi Fortaleza
Ok, i will ask and i will tell you next monday
Old Jul 5th 2008, 10:07 am
Just Joined

Lambcart is just really niceLambcart is just really niceLambcart is just really niceLambcart is just really niceLambcart is just really niceLambcart is just really niceLambcart is just really niceLambcart is just really nice

I have lived in Huelva for 6 years and been coming here every summer since I was a child. We never called it Costa de la Luz but I know that is the name.
I think of CƔdiz when people say Costa de la Luz.
Old Jul 5th 2008, 3:11 pm
BE Enthusiast

dazzle is a name known to alldazzle is a name known to alldazzle is a name known to alldazzle is a name known to alldazzle is a name known to alldazzle is a name known to alldazzle is a name known to alldazzle is a name known to alldazzle is a name known to alldazzle is a name known to alldazzle is a name known to all

Whenever anyone in the uK hears I'm going to the Costa de la Luz they always seem to assume that I'm flying to Faro and going to Isla Canela as that seems to be the place that appears in most package holiday brochures.
Old Jul 5th 2008, 6:41 pm
BE Forum Addict

Location: Finally now living in Lo Marabu, Rojales, and it feels like home
andyrich666 has a reputation beyond reputeandyrich666 has a reputation beyond reputeandyrich666 has a reputation beyond reputeandyrich666 has a reputation beyond reputeandyrich666 has a reputation beyond reputeandyrich666 has a reputation beyond reputeandyrich666 has a reputation beyond reputeandyrich666 has a reputation beyond reputeandyrich666 has a reputation beyond reputeandyrich666 has a reputation beyond reputeandyrich666 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dazzle
Whenever anyone in the uK hears I'm going to the Costa de la Luz they always seem to assume that I'm flying to Faro and going to Isla Canela as that seems to be the place that appears in most package holiday brochures.
So what is Costa Esuri or does that not exist ? Isla Canela is Costa Esuri no ?
Old Jul 5th 2008, 7:48 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

EsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond repute
Smile Re: What do you consider to be The Costa de la Luz?

Originally Posted by andyrich666
So what is Costa Esuri or does that not exist ? Isla Canela is Costa Esuri no ?
NO it does not exist except in the minds of Salesmen for developers and planners.

The new Escritura (deeds) of parcelas and all the early plans show the area to be Puente Esuri which more correctly describes its location as being by the Bridge at Esuri. The name Esuri is derived from the Phoenician name for the area which included the island of Isla Canela (which was named by the Moors who imported their Spices through there and called it cinnamon isle) and what is now Ayamonte town.

The correct municipal authority name is Urbanisation Costa Esuri Ayamonte but it has no sandy beach and no sea frontage it is on a tidal estuary fronted by a fish farm and salt pans so it is difficult to see it as a Costa. Isla Canela beach which is one of the best in Spain is 7 km away on the other side of Ayamonte town which is one of the nicest towns in Andalucia but it is all part of Ayamonte Ayuntamiento.

PS it also has two of the best golf courses in Spain within the Urbanisation boundary.

Last edited by EsuriJohn; Jul 5th 2008 at 7:58 pm.
Old Jul 5th 2008, 7:55 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

EsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond repute
Smile Re: What do you consider to be The Costa de la Luz?

Originally Posted by dazzle
Kaths Headmistress asked how the villa was coming along and then said exactly where is it. Kath replied at the town of Ayamonte just over the bridge from Portugal and that the nearest airport was Faro.

She said she did not know that part of Spain but had spent a holiday at Isla Canela which must have been near since she could remember crossing a bridge after flying into Faro! (and we trust our childrens minds to these people).
Old Jul 6th 2008, 8:02 am
BE Forum Addict

Carol&John has a reputation beyond reputeCarol&John has a reputation beyond reputeCarol&John has a reputation beyond reputeCarol&John has a reputation beyond reputeCarol&John has a reputation beyond reputeCarol&John has a reputation beyond reputeCarol&John has a reputation beyond reputeCarol&John has a reputation beyond reputeCarol&John has a reputation beyond reputeCarol&John has a reputation beyond reputeCarol&John has a reputation beyond repute

...Although many of you will already know this, particularly those living there, I'm interested to know where you mentally picture when someone says The Costa de la Luz - do you think of Chiclana, Conil, Barbate etc or do you think Ayamonte, Islantilla, El Rompido.
Hola Fortaleza,

I think of Zahara de los atunes and Barbate.

Carol
Old Jul 6th 2008, 8:39 am
Welsh Ambassador to Spain

Fortaleza has a reputation beyond reputeFortaleza has a reputation beyond reputeFortaleza has a reputation beyond reputeFortaleza has a reputation beyond reputeFortaleza has a reputation beyond reputeFortaleza has a reputation beyond reputeFortaleza has a reputation beyond reputeFortaleza has a reputation beyond reputeFortaleza has a reputation beyond reputeFortaleza has a reputation beyond reputeFortaleza has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by John & Kath

Isla Canela beach which is one of the best in Spain is 7 km away on the other side of Ayamonte town which is one of the nicest towns in Andalucia but it is all part of Ayamonte Ayuntamiento.

PS it also has two of the best golf courses in Spain within the Urbanisation boundary.

So, give it us straight - do you rate the area or what?

With the best will in the world ( Oh Gawd! you've got me going with the superlatives now!) and as much as I do love that beach and this coast in general, it is certainly a long way away from being one of the best. The whole northern coast alone is head and shoulders ahead, and, despite the union jack shorts, many Costa de Sol beaches are fantastic.

Ayamonte nicest town? Travel a bit.

And I'm no golfer, but I suspect many, many golf courses may have something to say about that - Valderrama, Sotogrande, Real Sevilla, Las Brisas, Montecastillo, throw a stone anywhere in the Costa del Sol!

I'm told though that the new course is very challenging, judging by the reactions after last Wednesday's fortnightly comp.
Old Jul 6th 2008, 10:27 am
jdr
RETIRED ;-))

jdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond repute

So, give it us straight - do you rate the area or what?

With the best will in the world ( Oh Gawd! you've got me going with the superlatives now!) and as much as I do love that beach and this coast in general, it is certainly a long way away from being one of the best. The whole northern coast alone is head and shoulders ahead, and, despite the union jack shorts, many Costa de Sol beaches are fantastic.

Ayamonte nicest town? Travel a bit.

And I'm no golfer, but I suspect many, many golf courses may have something to say about that - Valderrama, Sotogrande, Real Sevilla, Las Brisas, Montecastillo, throw a stone anywhere in the Costa del Sol!

I'm told though that the new course is very challenging, judging by the reactions after last Wednesday's fortnightly comp.
I think I have to go with you on this one,
Carvajal beach near the roundabout takes some beating. ;-))