Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

What to do to keep the flies out???

What to do to keep the flies out???

Old Apr 24th 2012, 11:39 am
Forum Regular

pixieve is just really nicepixieve is just really nicepixieve is just really nicepixieve is just really nicepixieve is just really nicepixieve is just really nicepixieve is just really nicepixieve is just really nicepixieve is just really nice
Default What to do to keep the flies out???

Seems like everytime i open my windows, a damn fly gets in and settles itself in the room only stirring at night time, and thats when the bugger bites me! The last 3 nights in a row i have been bitten by...something!? Anyway, is there anything i can get to stop this happening? My poor daughter is covered in lumps too from being bitten repeatedly. It's really annoying....
Old Apr 24th 2012, 11:45 am
BE Forum Addict

megmet has a reputation beyond reputemegmet has a reputation beyond reputemegmet has a reputation beyond reputemegmet has a reputation beyond reputemegmet has a reputation beyond reputemegmet has a reputation beyond reputemegmet has a reputation beyond reputemegmet has a reputation beyond reputemegmet has a reputation beyond reputemegmet has a reputation beyond reputemegmet has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: What to do to keep the flies out???

Originally Posted by pixieve
Seems like everytime i open my windows, a damn fly gets in and settles itself in the room only stirring at night time, and thats when the bugger bites me! The last 3 nights in a row i have been bitten by...something!? Anyway, is there anything i can get to stop this happening? My poor daughter is covered in lumps too from being bitten repeatedly. It's really annoying....
Put mosquitoe screens on all of your windows, we put the roller blind kind on all of ours and hardly ever get flies or mosquitoes!
Old Apr 24th 2012, 11:52 am
BE Enthusiast

EllisG has a reputation beyond reputeEllisG has a reputation beyond reputeEllisG has a reputation beyond reputeEllisG has a reputation beyond reputeEllisG has a reputation beyond reputeEllisG has a reputation beyond reputeEllisG has a reputation beyond reputeEllisG has a reputation beyond reputeEllisG has a reputation beyond reputeEllisG has a reputation beyond reputeEllisG has a reputation beyond repute

nets on any windows/openings will stop them flying into the house

personally I like hunting them with a zapping type tennis racquet thing I got from the local chinky shop...the current one is actually almost a year old which means it must be some kind of record for something bought from them

encourage house martins and swifts to nest on your roof they like eating 'em (one can eat up to 3000/ day, I never understand why some of my Spanish neighbours remove their nests and seem to prefer insecticides over natural predators)
Old Apr 24th 2012, 2:12 pm
Forum Regular

pixieve is just really nicepixieve is just really nicepixieve is just really nicepixieve is just really nicepixieve is just really nicepixieve is just really nicepixieve is just really nicepixieve is just really nicepixieve is just really nice

Originally Posted by megmet
Put mosquitoe screens on all of your windows, we put the roller blind kind on all of ours and hardly ever get flies or mosquitoes!
The problem with that is im in a rented accomodation and i doubt landlord will let me do that!!

Originally Posted by EllisG
nets on any windows/openings will stop them flying into the house

personally I like hunting them with a zapping type tennis racquet thing I got from the local chinky shop...the current one is actually almost a year old which means it must be some kind of record for something bought from them

encourage house martins and swifts to nest on your roof they like eating 'em (one can eat up to 3000/ day, I never understand why some of my Spanish neighbours remove their nests and seem to prefer insecticides over natural predators)
Ooh you know i bloody love those zappers! Chinky shop you say?? I must have a look! Do they have a name in Spanish? Or in english for that matter? Local chinks will not understand "zapper thingy"
Old Apr 24th 2012, 2:28 pm
Forum Regular

Abyss-Rover is an unknown quantity at this point

The problem with that is im in a rented accomodation and i doubt landlord will let me do that!!

Ooh you know i bloody love those zappers! Chinky shop you say?? I must have a look! Do they have a name in Spanish? Or in english for that matter? Local chinks will not understand "zapper thingy"
Wooden frame, very slightly smaller than the window opening, mosquito netting (off the roll) stapled to this and laundry pegs wedged in the side to hold it. Very basic DIY but works and doesn't cause any problems with landlords.
Old Apr 24th 2012, 4:02 pm
BE Enthusiast

EllisG has a reputation beyond reputeEllisG has a reputation beyond reputeEllisG has a reputation beyond reputeEllisG has a reputation beyond reputeEllisG has a reputation beyond reputeEllisG has a reputation beyond reputeEllisG has a reputation beyond reputeEllisG has a reputation beyond reputeEllisG has a reputation beyond reputeEllisG has a reputation beyond reputeEllisG has a reputation beyond repute

even if I knew the word in Spanish it is doubtful the shop assistant would so here's how I played it...first I made her think I wanted a tennis racquet...then hit her with the old "para moscas" then after a brief stop over at the fly swatter box and a realisation the object I was after had batteries something in her head went "ding!" (which was also coincidentally the name of her father in law) and she led me to a box of mini tennis racquets individually wrapped in plastic...good luck with your quest
Old Apr 24th 2012, 4:12 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by EllisG
even if I knew the word in Spanish it is doubtful the shop assistant would so here's how I played it...first I made her think I wanted a tennis racquet...then hit her with the old "para moscas" then after a brief stop over at the fly swatter box and a realisation the object I was after had batteries something in her head went "ding!" (which was also coincidentally the name of her father in law) and she led me to a box of mini tennis racquets individually wrapped in plastic...good luck with your quest
hahaha, that is too funny! Our shopkeepers name is Ming!! Ok ill try that and let you know how i get on!!
Old Apr 24th 2012, 4:12 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Abyss-Rover
Wooden frame, very slightly smaller than the window opening, mosquito netting (off the roll) stapled to this and laundry pegs wedged in the side to hold it. Very basic DIY but works and doesn't cause any problems with landlords.
Thanks for the advice...thats a great idea!!
Old Apr 24th 2012, 4:21 pm
Senior Moment

Mitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks for the advice...thats a great idea!!
Ive employed that method also, and it works as well as being very low cost
Old Apr 24th 2012, 4:52 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

bobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond repute

I'll have to look for one of the Zapper things last year when I visited I bought my self a huge can of fly spray thought great that'l get them!!! useless they just laughed at it in fact if anything seemed to entice them. Mind I had to laugh at one of my Spanish neighbours who is about 82 and quite poor. He had a kids flip flop taped on a stick and spent all day swatting the fly's. All you could hear was slap slap seemed to work and kept him amused.
Old Apr 24th 2012, 4:59 pm
BE Forum Addict

megmet has a reputation beyond reputemegmet has a reputation beyond reputemegmet has a reputation beyond reputemegmet has a reputation beyond reputemegmet has a reputation beyond reputemegmet has a reputation beyond reputemegmet has a reputation beyond reputemegmet has a reputation beyond reputemegmet has a reputation beyond reputemegmet has a reputation beyond reputemegmet has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bobd22
I'll have to look for one of the Zapper things last year when I visited I bought my self a huge can of fly spray thought great that'l get them!!! useless they just laughed at it in fact if anything seemed to entice them. Mind I had to laugh at one of my Spanish neighbours who is about 82 and quite poor. He had a kids flip flop taped on a stick and spent all day swatting the fly's. All you could hear was slap slap seemed to work and kept him amused.
Mercadona sell them!
Old Apr 24th 2012, 6:55 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

bobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by megmet
Mercadona sell them!
Thanks for that will have a look over there next week,
Old Apr 24th 2012, 7:37 pm
BE Enthusiast

DENISE WALTERS has much to be proud ofDENISE WALTERS has much to be proud ofDENISE WALTERS has much to be proud ofDENISE WALTERS has much to be proud ofDENISE WALTERS has much to be proud ofDENISE WALTERS has much to be proud ofDENISE WALTERS has much to be proud ofDENISE WALTERS has much to be proud ofDENISE WALTERS has much to be proud ofDENISE WALTERS has much to be proud ofDENISE WALTERS has much to be proud of

I know I hate the look of them but when I get desperate I put up one of those old fashioned fly paper.
But they do actually work but they look yuck!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old Apr 24th 2012, 8:22 pm
HBG
Lost in BE Cyberspace

HBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond repute

We live in a hot country, so do flies, cucarachas, mosquitoes, geckos (I love them) and many other weird things. They might disgust us, but they won't hurt us (too much).

Having said that, I've started spraying to keep the numbers down.
Old Apr 24th 2012, 10:04 pm
BE Forum Addict

Chiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond repute

www.swatthefly.co.uk far superior than the Chinese ones. It has double the electronic netting.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.